Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation Sept. 2019

Options

Comments

• UpstateNYer
    UpstateNYer Member Posts: 331
    Options

A big congrats to you🎉 yndorian. I knew you would soldier through. So very happy for you!!

Smackan- I also had an itchy rash about 8 days post rads. I am using Curel anti- itch lotion and it helps. Been taking anastrozole since Sept. 5th. So far, so good.

Hello to everyone else. My RO followup is Nov. 8th. I guess she will schedule my MRI/mammogram for early next year.

• polkadot1
    polkadot1 Member Posts: 46
    Options

Congratulations Yndorian!!!!! SO happy for you to be done. Smile

Smackan - I too had a bit of a rash on my chest area above my breast. It is almost completely gone now but I can still vaguely see it.

I have my MO appointment today where she will tell me to start the Tamoxifen. Really worried about it but I know it is an important part of my treatment so I will give it a go. She is on board with starting at 10 mg and ramping up. Personally I would like to start at 5mg! I just know myself too well and how I react to ANY medication. We shall see.

Hugs to all of you!

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    Options

PinkArmor - glad you got a celebratory cupcake!!

rlws - I hope the fatigue resolves this weekend! Glad your skin is doing well.

Yndorian - 💃🕺🦄💐🌈🤹♂️🎆🎇🎉 congratulations!! You rad warrior!

Hi smackan - my RO told me that I might get the itchy rash but nothing yet. Good luck with tamoxifen!

Hi UpstateNYer!!

Hi Polkadot- I hope the tamoxifen goes well for you too!

My boost was easy peasy. Only 3 more to go. I'm going to miss you guys when we all get through

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,053
    Options

Yndorian: Congratulations!!!

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Member Posts: 551
    Options

Thank you girls for the congratulations!

Smackan: I also received the warning about the rash... My RO says that it can occur within a year! I hope you are already relieved.

DogMomRunner: How is it that you're going to miss us when you're done? Are you not going back here to say hello once in a while? 😊 I hope your boosts are going well

It feels weird to return to the routine (a new routine) ... there are so many things to process, so many changes... It's been raining for several days here in Buenos Aires, that doesn't help the mood either, I guess

I wish you all a good Friday and a very good weekend without SEs ❤❤❤

• dogmomrunner
    Options

Yndorian - of course I will be checking but wasn't sure if everyone else would move on. It's like my monthly chemo and Taxol threads. Some moved to radiation threads or surgery threads and I don't "see" them anymore. :

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Options

DogMomRunner: It's true ... but you know what? We all are going to "see" each other in the threads of 5, 10, 15 years out and counting!

• UpstateNYer
    Options

hi all,

I sure do plan on checking in from time to time with my rads girlfriends. We still need to continue to support each other. Have most of us crossed the finish line? I know Tennisgirl1 and DogMomRunner are still being treated. I have noticed a large tanned area under my armpit. I wonder if my nodes were radiated as well even though they were clear on pathology. I will ask RO at my follow up appt. Hope everyone is doing well.

• smackan
    smackan Member Posts: 34
    Options

I plan on checking in also! I appreciate all of you and it made rads so much easier to do knowing others going through it too. And of course, I want to support those who haven’t graduated yet until our class is complete!

Upstate NYer, I felt the same about the nodes. I have a welt on my SNB incision so I think they wee radiated too - and I have a discolored armpit too

• UpstateNYer
    Options

smackan-Glad I am not alone with the discolored armpit. Funny that my breast is not red or tanned at all. Have you had a followup appt. yet? Mine is November 8th. Hope you don't have se's with Tamoxifen. I started anastrozole on Sept. 5th. So far, so good. Hope it continues. Is your treatment complete other than you starting Tamoxifen?

• polkadot1
    Options

UpstateNyer - you can add me to the tanned armpit group! The armpit hair is not growing there either at the moment. I specifically asked the RO if my lymph nodes would be in the radiation field and he said no. I saw my MO yesterday and mentioned to her and she felt it was just from "scatter" and that it was not in the direct field. She also said to keep moisturizing the breast for a full year as changes can occur that long. I will also be starting Tamoxifen this weekend. She is allowing me to start at 10 mg every other day to start for the first four weeks, then to gradually increase to full dose of 20 mg. My son is getting married in 8 weeks and she said if I wasn't tolerating by 4 weeks, she'd let me go off for 4 weeks so I would feel good for the wedding. It does give me peace of mind to know I have options.

So glad everyone plans to keep checking in...I certainly will as we all continue our journey.

• tennisgirl1
    tennisgirl1 Member Posts: 30
    Options

19/30 Done! My last 5 will be boosts. This last week has been a strange one. First of all I came down with a horrible cold. First time I’ve been sick in three years. (Yes, I had a flu shot.) Monday I had an X-ray before radiation. Tuesday I had a CT scan before treatment. Wednesday and Thursday I had additional unscheduled X-rays. To say I was worried is an understatement. Finally, Friday they told me not to be concerned because the doc is just checking positioning of the grid and target areas. He did make some changes and now is happy with what he sees. I see him on Monday and will ask specific questions, but today, I’m not stressing over it. Anyone else have this happen to them?

I am still walking my six flights of stairs to and from treatment in the parking garage. Plus I’m getting in around 10 miles a week walking. It is making me feel more in control of my body and proving I still have energy to do it. It really has helped.

My skin is really red and has an itchy follicular rash, which I put cortisone cream on. My arm pit is REALLY red and stingy, and burns a bit. So it’s aloe, coconut oil, the cortisone cream and Aquaphor spray that I rotate through. I’m trying to stay on top of it.

Upstate: please keep in contact. I am really interested in your experience on Anastrozole. I will be starting after I finish radiation.

I hope this next week brings healing strength and minimal side effects for us all. As always, thank you for sharing your experiences here. I learn so much from you strong women.

• pokyspider
    pokyspider Member Posts: 59
    Options

Hi tennisgirl1, I had an xray and repositioning CT on Friday too as they want to concentrate on the lymphnodes near my collarbone next. My chest markings now resemble some sort of ancient mayan calendar to unlock the portals of time.

Tomorrow will be #15/25 and I'm starting to feel really wiped out afterwards and feel a bit dazed on my way home, but I'm trying to keep moving as much as possible. My upper arm and shoulder is getting a bit stiff too and I'm definitely starting to look quite pink, but not sore yet. I'm still not allowed anything on my treatment area other than water or and ice pack if it feels itchy, but there was mention of giving me some lotion later this week.

Tamoxifen seems to be going ok, just still feel a bit nauseous on and off throughout the day. I'm going to try taking it at night and see if that makes a difference.

Isn't technology utterly amazing? I'm fascinated by the radiation machine when it make all the different shapes. The choice of music in my hospital is pretty horrendous though - this week we've had either xylophone elevator music or contemporary jazz that sounds like the instruments have been thrown in a box and kicked for 10 mins. 🤷

• dogmomrunner
    Options

It looks like my post was eaten by the internet. Or maybe by my dog.

Yndorian- you are right we will get to celebrate everyone's milestones. I'm looking forward to that.

UpstateNYer, smackan and Polkadot- I'm glad that all of you are doing well except maybe the armpit tan. Apparently they haven't been radiating that area on me because I'm having to now shave there. I'm growing hair faster everywhere except my head. :(

Yay tennisgirl on being more than half way through! I'm sorry that you have been sick and itchy. A cold or flu just adds insult to injury. Good for you in keeping up the exercise!

Pokyspider- you are almost half way done! I can't believe that you can't put any lotion on the area. Mine is a bit pink and the nipple really is sensitive and turning brown but the aloe vera and Aquaphor seem to help.

I have one more to go on Monday.

• polkadot1
    Options

DogMomRunner - I will be thinking of you on Monday! One thing I don't think I have mentioned on this thread is how I didn't realize how much of a brain fog I was in during rads. I mean of course I was functioning every day, going to work, going to treatment etc. but since being done I feel like my brain "woke up" and I can truly start feeling motivated and thinking of things I want and need to do other than just getting through my days. That's the best way I can describe it anyway. I assume it is because you are just so fatigued and your body is using all its energy to cope with the treatment. So I just wanted to throw that out there as encouragement for the finish line!

Hugs to all of you!

• UpstateNYer
    Options

Hello all, I hope everyone is having a restful weekend. You are all in my daily thoughts and prayers.

Polkadot1-Let us know how you do with Tamoxifen. You say that you will be taking 10mg. The anastrozole I take is 1mg. Hopefully, you will be fine for your son's upcoming wedding. My tanned underarm is starting to fade a bit.

Tennisgirl1- I only had one CT scan prior to rads. Then every 5 days they did xrays to check positioning. I have not had any scans of my body, however, and that bothers me. I had a chest xray prior to 1st lumpectomy. I think with you, they are just being thorough. It is so good that you are keeping as active as possible. It really does help to mitigate fatigue. Although, the only real fatigue I experienced was during chemo. I hope you get over your cold and will be feeling much better soon. You are over halfway there--Yipppeee!! My breast still has some itching even now. I continue with the aquaphor ointment spray and Curel anti itch lotion. Feel free to PM me anytime regarding anastrozole.

Pokyspider- Hope you will be feeling better soon. Glad that Tamoxifen is not causing se's. You will be finished very soon now. I also suffer from a stiff shoulder. My doctors think it may be just some arthritis or tendonitis I feel that it may be an after effect from chemo. It started after 3rd chemo txt. It is feeling a bit better now, but is still present. Gee, haven't we all been through enough??

DogMomRunner- Tomorrow is the Day🎉. I will be thinking of you. We will all celebrate with you. Isn't it funny about hair growing fast everywhere but on our heads? It will be nice to have longer hair as Winter approaches. Mine is growing in very thick, for which I am grateful.

Smackan,yndorian1, rlws, PinkArmor, kamboka, how are you doing?

• smackan
    smackan Member Posts: 34
    Options

Hi everyone, I am 8 days from completing Rads and wanted to ask a question and see if any one has experienced this. My armpit is pretty dark - not tan but kind of gray and discolored. Yesterday my skin peeled and is raw underneath. It is uncomfortable as nothing seems to stop the rubbing. Anyone have any ideas on what the put on it? Or how long it will last. And if I put lotion on it, is deodorant ok to use too

I don’t know whether I should let my RO know but I don’t see him for a few weeks.

• pokyspider
    Options

Smackan - I really wouldn’t go near it with deodorant as it’ll probably irritate it and sting like the bejesus! Can you give your onc or rads dept a call and ask for advice on skin care? Last thing you want is an infection.
    My sister-in-law got badly burned during rads a couple of years ago and the rubbing under her arm was terrible. She was given burns dressing pads that didn’t stick to anything, and some sort of lotion. I’d be straight back in to show them to be honest. No point in suffering unnecessarily.

• kamboka
    Options

Tomorrow will be #15/30. My breast is a pinkish tan. At least it's not hurting. My only side effect is some mild nausea here and there. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse. I didn't have any nausea with chemo.

• PinkArmor
    PinkArmor Member Posts: 51
    Options

Well hello all. Just checked in to read everyone's posts and to see how you all are doing. I see some have graduated - Congrats to each of you! I had my follow up with RO and all is good there. My lower under arm in the swell up to the side of the breast turned really dark as well. It has started peeling. I had no lymph nodes involved. Mine was because my cancer was on the breast wall so they did the rads from the side and the boosts were directed there as well. It's getting better just keeping good lotions and creams on it. A nurse at the cancer center said rad SE could continue to pop out for up to a year. Oh Yay!

I have been sick with a horrible cold for the last week. Glad it waited till I was done with rads. I missed 2 doses of the anastrazole. Hope that's not a big deal.

So I was wondering where do we go from here? Are we all just now waiting to see MO's for follow up scans, ect? I feel kinda of lost. There was all of this planning then do this, planning then do that, repeat until now its all done and I am left with the question, did it work? When will I know? And try not to panic over every little ache and pain. A friend said " don't be ridiculous- you are fine". My answer was until someone says the C word to you, don't judge. You can't know how it feels. So I guess we just hang out till the next exam? Mine should have been next month, but I was behind in starting rads because of the open wounds. Guess it will be Dec. Hope Santa brings me good results.

Hope all of you are doing great and that there are no SE's

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Options

Hello! May you all have a good start to the week without SEs!

DogMomRunner: Today is the day!I will wait your post to congratulate you😘

Polkadot: It's good to know that brain fog is finally going. I have been dragging that from the first chemo

UpStateNYer: I'm glad you are getting well

Smackan, take care of that peeling...

PinkArmor: I am also in the "now that" ... My MO gave me a few days off and then I have to repeat the bone scan and CT scan. I will also have to see my OS and I suppose I will have a new mammogram (it hurts just to think about it) I also hope that Santa will come this year with good news, since last year I was in full catastrophe ...

The boosts really affected me, the pain runs through my armpit, my arm and elbow to the fingers, it is like a tendonitis type but with burning... I hope it won't be permanent.

Pokyspider, Kamboka, Tennisgirl: Almost there! you can get this, girls!

😘😘😘❤❤❤

• pokyspider
    Options

I had my 4 week checkup with my MO today and had a blood test for tumor markers which came back normal.
    He gave me a 6-month Lupron depot injection this time so don’t have to worry about that again until April. Also scheduled me for a bone density scan this Friday and said from now on I’ll have monitoring appointments every 3 months which will include a physical check,blood test and x-ray, and then an ultrasound and mammogram each year. No mention of any other scans for now at least.

• rlws
    rlws Member Posts: 37
    Options

Hello All!

Looks like some are finishing up soon, YAY! I get happy to hear and hope you have the celebration you desire, whether you ring the bell or eat a pink cupcake:}

I had scans every week, sometimes twice a week during rads, they said to just make sure all positions were right. I also had the scan to set up the boost. I also felt totally zapped right after on ride home daily. It was a weird feeling!

I finished on the 9th but still having fatigue. My armpit is sore but not tan. I still really do not have complete feeling in it since surgery, not sure if it is from sentinal node or my lumpectomy with reduction, but it does not feel right yet. My nipple area is sore as well, I have some sharp pains at times but not continual so...I am not letting it stop me from doing normal things like trying to stay active. I am running at least 3 times a week which makes me feel in control of something!

I started my tamoxifen a week ago. I am taking 20mg and started right away, no easing into it was what my MO said. I have had some hot flashes as I am being forced into menopause. I assume that fatigue is from radiation not tamoxifen. My stomach has been upset some days so I drink some hot tea with ginger to help. I know some side effects are also cancer in gyn area, is anyone getting checked for that too more often? I could be in my head over thinking again!

I do understand the feeling of now what and the anxiousness of it all. But lets all remember we are in remission so rejoice in that! I just have a list of appointment follow ups. I do not get a RO check up until Nov 19th and see the MO on Dec 5th, so on my own till then. I do have an appointment with the PS next week, so who knows. It is a hard thing not knowing what to do. I do think of the same thing 'did it work', and I guess we do not know till we get that follow up mammogram six months later, for me in February. I just pray and know even if they find something, at least it will be knew and small because of all these checks!

We are fortunate to express the feelings here to those that understand. I know my family wants to just be on the thought of 'you are good', I want to but have the nag inside that wonders. I think getting out and exercising and planning fun with friends and family is good.

Hope all have a good week and are able to focus on the positive!

• kamboka
    Options

Yndorian1: Will this be your first CT and bone scan since diagnosis? I'm also thinking about what happens next as far as tests.

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Options

Kamboka: I had both last year before starting chemo. At that time it was all clear, but the CT showed just 1 affected node and the ALDN showed that there were actually 4, so worry exists... Anyway here in my country the normal procedure is to do these studies every 6 months (CT) and every year bone scan. I hope all of our scans back clear!

• kamboka
    Options

Yndorian1: I'm actually not sure what the standard of care is here. I see my MO on the 30th. I hope she can discuss my treatment plan after radiation ends 11/11. I'm going out of town for 2-3 weeks around Christmas and would love to have some confirmation scans before then and also before I take out the port-a-cath.

• dogmomrunner
    Options

And... I'm done! I rang the bell and got a certificate. While I am very happy with not having to get up an hour earlier and having to do some crazy traffic driving to treatment and then to work, I must admit to a bit of apprehension about finishing. I felt the same way when I finished the Taxol. Scared that if I am not going through active treatment (except for the Herceptin) then I risk recurrence. I guess we all wait for that other shoe to drop. Unless it's already dropped.

Polkadot- thanks for the good thoughts. I also have the brain fog. I'm not sure if it's from chemo or radiation or both.

UpstateNYer- I'm glad your doing well. My head is still patchy but at least it's growing!

smackan- I hope you talked to the RO about your armpit. They can probably prescribe something to help.

Hi pokyspider and tennisgirl!

PinkArmor- that's how I feel, kind of lost. I will have a check with the MO and a Herceptin infusion every three weeks. I'll have my recheck with the BS next month. I hope Santa is good to you as well.

Yay Kamboka on being halfway done!

Hi Yndorian- I hope those painful zaps go away soon. I still have them at the SNB site.

rlws- Good for you on the running! I am trying to get back into it. Right now it's more walk than run. My breast is a bit swollen so the thought of wearing a running bra makes me nervous.

Rock on Rad Warriors!!

• kamboka
    Options

DogMomRunner: Congratulations!!!!!

• UpstateNYer
    Options

DogMomRunner- A big congrats to you! So very happy for you. I certainly can understand your feeling apprehensive in completing treatment. I felt exactly the same. Recurrence was heavy on my mind after rads. But, I feel very good now. I am still reading Dr. Susan Love's book, The Breast Book. It has helped immensely. It also has a chapter on recurrence. I know that it will probably make me worry more, but I feel that knowledge is power too. We have to believe that we have done everything possible to beat this disease. As I look back on these past 8 months, I can hardly believe how bumpy this journey has been for me and for most of us. I never expected 2 surgeries, chemo, another surgery, then rads. These threads have been wonderful and a chance to commiserate with others going through the same thing. Stay strong. I pray for all of us daily. It helps me to stay busy and active too. Take good care, and again--Congrats👍🎉 Pat

• tennisgirl1
    tennisgirl1 Member Posts: 30
    Options

22/30 Done! I can’t lie, these last few days have kicked my butt. I am beyond tired and my nausea is intense. Today I had my first boost to give the whole breast a few days rest. Then back to the whole breast for the last few. I just feel worn out. I appreciate all the insights and comments about these last few days.

My hair, growing in white, is also kind of patchy. Thick in the back and less so on top. Can’t wait to get it back to my “natural color”, (haha), as soon as it gets long enough. My eye brows are going rogue, and my lashes have promising sprouts which I lovingly support each day with hopes and prayers.

Thank you everyone who are hanging in here for the last rads warriors who started with you. I need your support and advice.