Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation October 2019

Options

Comments

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,206
    Options

The refrigerator guy did not have the correct part and had to order it. He will be back on Friday. Today I am going to lunch with my BFF. Husband is not doing well. He is going to call the cardiologist to go over meds.

• mocame
    mocame Member Posts: 554
    Options

Petite1 - I'm so sorry your husband is having those headaches again. How frustrating. Does the weather affect them? Your California trip sounds like fun. You can do that stuff when you're young. Now at my age, I would be so worried about the RV breaking down. LOL. Look at the wonderful memories you made.

Kamboka - I hope it doesn't rain during the reunion. Florida is known for their pop-up storms during the summer and I hope that it's nothing more than that. Will you have to go out of the country again for your job or are you done doing that?

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,053
    Options

petite1: How is your husband? Maybe it was those few days last week that were so hot. We hit 101 on one of those days. I don't every remember being even above 95 since I came here two years ago. It wasn't that bad though.

mocame: I now have 134 items listed. Last week I had a few sales but nothing in the last two days. I'm lowering prices like crazy. I had to do a refund this week. One lady said she had emailed me that she didn't want one of the three vases that she bought. I sent everything so now she is wanting a $5 refund for shipping. Seems nitpicky but I did it so I can keep my rating up.

I'm monioring the weather like crazy and it's looking like rain all weekend. What a bummer. We've had a month of little to no rain and the holiday weekend might be a soaker. I'm so ready for this reunion to be over. I'm still trying to see if I can get back $500 for renting a building for our dinner when I thought I'd have 100 people. Wish me luck as this reunion is costing me a lot of money. I was trying to save up for my western tour this fall. The Yellowstone hotel in Gardiner finally sent me a note saying they would be refunding me the money as they won't be open. I feel bad for them as that's their income. I've rerouted myself to enter the park from the east instead of the north. However, they are doing even/odd license plate days. I'll have to make sure my rental car has the correct plate.

• petite1
    Options

mocame, Travel while you can. Getting old is not pleasant. My pool husband felt bad all day and then a terrible spell for hours last night. I feel something else is going on and not just the cluster headaches. I tried to get him to go to the hospital, but he wouldn't. Of course the head would be gone when he got there.

Kamboka, I hope you can get a refund. The afternoon storms have been intense over here. We didn't get to 100, but the feels like temperature did. One night it stayed in the 80's and I don't ever remember a night that hot. We have been jumping and jumping out of the pool.

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: It's like Murphy's law--when you get to the hospital the symptoms go away! I hope that they can give him something to address the cause. The last few weeks my foot neuropathy has been driving me crazy at night. The pads burn so bad. I have all kinds of foot creams but nothing seems to work. I've got CBD, menthol, lidocaine, frankincense, homeopathic blends, etc.

We've not had any afternoon storms in over two weeks. But, they are coming just in time to 'ruin' my three day reunion. It looks like all holiday weekend will be scattered storms. The best I can hope for is a little sun for a few hours and rain early morning or a pop up later in the afternoon that doesn't last long. I'm fearing that the waters will be chopping and we can't do the swimming at the beach. We've been having a lot of yellow flag days and had a red one a few days ago. At this point, I'm out of an extra thousand dollars and rain, so I just want this to happen safely and be over with. :)

My immediate family is coming today. I just realized that I dont' have any food in the house.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, I hope all works out and you have a wonderful family time and the reunion goes as planned. My husband is doing better. It seems he had the headaches for about 2 months, last year. I think it started June 6 this year. I will be glad when they go away and he is back to doing what he enjoys.

• petite1
    Options

mocame & Kamboka, Hope all is well. My husband has been headache free for 2 days. Yay!

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: Glad the hubby is better. Does he have seasonal allergies or is it something else?

Hope you both had a nice holiday. My reunion came off well and we only had a bad weather episode on our picnic day. We were eating our lunch when the thunderstorm rolled in at 1:30 on Sunday. I was hoping that it wouldn't happen till later. Only a few people came early to swim so the other missed out. I'm very tired as I had to get up at 3:30 this morning to get my mom and her helper to the airport and then came home to finish cleaning up. I had 30 something folks at my house on Saturday for dinner plus the four folks who stayed with me for the week.

We had a nice fireworks in the neighborhood on all sides. We took our chairs outside and sat and watched. It was better than braving the traffice to get to the beach fireworks. I used to always do them in DC beacuse I could either walk or take the subway and not have to worry about traffic.

This weekend I'll start packing for my next work trip. this one will be for six week.

• mocame
    Options

Petite1-I'm glad your husband is feeling better. I hope they don't come back!

Kamboka - I'm glad your reunion wasn't a washout and I hope you get some rest before your work trip. When do you leave?

I have sold nothing the past 2 weeks and will have my listings on Time Away starting tomorrow. We are leaving on Saturday to go to the beach for a week. I am still working 10 hour days and that will continue into August, it seems. It's been very very stressful.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, I am glad the reunion went well. Where will you be going for the work trip?

mocame, Seems like you have been doing 10 hour days for a long time. Enjoy the beach time!

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: Enjoy your beach time. I hope the weather is good. It will be a good respite from the 10 hour days.

I've had some post-reunion drama. Both my brother and BIL tested positive for COVID. We had a family member that said she was not feeling well and it turns out that she was positive. I'm not sure when she found out but if she had asked me, I could have given her the home test. She was around all of us for two days but didn't participate in activities on the last day of the reunion. Last night I had to send out messages to all family members to alert them. We had four members 78 - 84 years old in attendance. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they are okay. Also, if I test positive it could jeopardize my trip on 7/18. I have to do the PCR COVID test on 7/16. My home test yesterday was negative and I'll test again Sunday. I'm heading back to Angola for the six weeks.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, I am sorry to hear that. Hopefully you won't test positive. Husband is doing better. We went to the beach and stopped to get hot dogs. He had a chili dog and I had a slaw dog. It was good. We had a nice little outing.

• kamboka
    Options

I'm still negative. Will take the PCR on Saturday before my Monday flight. I've been busy packing. I start early and repack several times to make sure I don't forget anything. They don't have Walmart so I need to make sure I have everything I'll need for the six weeks.

My Ebay sales slowed down this week. During my reunion, I had about 10 sales. My mom's handyman was with her and he helped me pack. I'll take everything off Ebay tomorrow. I have one auction item that ends in the morning.

petite1: Glad your husband is better. We had some really nice grilled hot dogs for the reunion. I bought some Nathan's and Ballpark all beef and some nice spicy sausage ones that I forget the brand. Today I had to throw away about two packages of buns. I bought too many and froze some but didn't haven enough room in my two freezers to save these. I'm trying to clean out the fridge for my absence. Having a house and traveling is stressful. My brother is coming for a week while I'm gone.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, I am glad you are still negative. Did any other family members test positive? My ebay sales have been good. I shipped a package to Norway on June 16th. It arrived today. I don't do much international shipping, but when I do, I use ebay international.

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: We had five out of 38 test positive, that I know of. It's possible others got it but didn't tell me. My brother and SIL stayed with me and mom for the week but mom and I got lucky and didn't get it.

I took all my 98 listings off Ebay today. I sold some coins and am waiting on the person to pay. I they don't by tomorrow afternoon, I'll have to cancel the order so hope they come through tonight. I'm not sure when I'll get to relist. As soon as I get back, I only have a week before we start our western tour.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, That is a shame, with as much work as you put into it. Hopefully no one becomes very ill. COVID will probably be around forever, in one form or the other.

• mocame
    Options

Petite1 - I'm glad you and your husband are doing well.

Kamboka - Have a great and safe trip! I'm glad you didn't get COVID and could go on your work trip. I hope everyone in your family just has mild symptoms.

I'm back from the beach. We had a good time. Started off rainy and cold but ended up really warm. It's in the 90's here at home this week. I'm back to working the long hours again. Nothing really got done while I was on vacation. I'm also trying to get my son ready for college in August, help out a friend who is going through hard times, help my daughter get things for her new classroom (will be teaching 4th grade), and go through stuff in our house because we are getting central A/C put in our house the beginning of August. I'm so excited to have A/C!! We only have 1 A/C window unit in our whole house.

I finally sold something today. Not much $ but it's out of the house! Yay! I haven't sold anything in about 3 weeks or so.

• petite1
    Options

mocame, Sounds like you had a nice vacation, now back to work. I grew up with out central air. My parents had it put in after I had moved out. We has one window unit for the entire house. You will love it.

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: I'm glad you got better weather before your vacation was over. I think I mentioned that the rain held for my family reunion until we were eating our picnic at the beach. Some of us who didn't go swimming early missed our beach outing. Sounds like you are very busy with work and all your personal commitments. Getting the daughter and son ready won't last long and you can get a breather in September. You will be so happy to have central A/C. Not sure how you did it with only one window unit. I think I'd have to have one in each BR and the sitting area.

But speaking of A/C, I got a lovely room with a great view of the bay and the room A/C would not turn off. It's winter here. It's been about 74 each day but it feels cooler since it's overcast. I should have brought more warm clothes but I was thinking 75 which in FL is nice. I'll share a few photos of my room that I took. I was in a small room but complained about the view and they really upgraded me. I'm here for 42 days so at least I have a kitchen and a balcony which most rooms don't have. If I took these in the day time, you'd see that some of those building are really run down. I'm looking forward to sitting outside over the weekend.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, Thank you for sharing. You are in a place that I could not imagine what it would be like. The pictures help to put it in perspective.

• mocame
    Options

It has been in the 90's and humid. Today is supposed to feel like it's 105 so I'm ready for the A/C to be put in!

Kamboka - While that view is beautiful, I'm guessing that in the daytime it is a sad view too? I don't know anything about that country. I hope the weather doesn't get too cold. The room looks spacious, though. Is that considered a hotel or just a room to be rented out?

I sold 2 small things since I got back from vacation. Since ebay changed their promoted rules, I hadn't had a chance to change my listings by the due date. Because of that, my promoted listings weren't being seen. :( I had to go in and change the listings on about 70 items to meet their minimum 2% criteria. That stinks. And of course, one of the 2 items I sold was promoted so I lost a little bit more money. At least it's gone now.

• kamboka
    Options

I've been wrapped up in the hotel robe, bath towel and finally a blanket. It's in the low seventies but the sun is not shining and it feels like in the 60s. July is the coldest month. It should start to be better as we get through August.

I'm attaching some day time pictures of the beautiful lights at night. You are correct that the poverty is all around as you can see from the building and trash.

I'm not sure when I can post again for Ebay. I have my 20 day tour in September and might be coming back here in October.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, Oh my. There is a big difference from night to day. The pool area looks nice, but too chilly for that.

mocame, My ebay has been good. Only one no pay this week. I don't do the promoted items, but most of mine are auction. Sometimes it goes wild. I sold a 1/2" Tiffany charm for $266. There were 19 bidders. I bought, or won, some items from Dudley's auction that should do very well. I still have lots of stuff from the various estate sale lots. There are 4 boxes under the bed and the spare room dresser drawers are full, plus the jewelry boxes that keep the lots I am working on. I am out of space, until I sell more.

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: Congrats on the Tiffany sale. I've been trying to grab up some of those things at auction or estate sales. I think I have two pieces of jewelry. That is, I was. I miss having my items listed as I was doing pretty good with sales prior to leaving. I think I have over 10 large boxes plus items just sitting around that need to be sold. Then I have a few boxes in my garage that are for yard sales. I had planned to have one in early December but might have to do another overseas trip during that time.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, It is strange, but I think my sales are better than last year. Maybe it is the recession and people are buying used over new. It was another good weekend, but no big surprises like the Tiffany. Husband is still feeling poorly. He has an ultra sound this week.

• mocame
    Options

Kamboka - It is like night and day difference in the pictures. So sad but also weird that you have all of that poverty but a nice pool/deck area on top of the building. I hope the weather starts warming up for you now that it's the beginning of August.

Petite - I hope they can figure out why your husband isn't feeling well. This seems to have been going on for awhile? Congratulations on your Tiffany sale. I know nothing about jewelry but I'm glad your sales are doing well.

I have sold 5 things in 5 days. Most of them I have sent offers or accepted offers on the items. Plus most of them were promotional listings too. Today, I also had a buyer send me an offer on a scarf that I accepted and then she immediately sent me a message asking me if I ship internationally...which I don't. When I said no, she no longer wanted it and I had to cancel the sale. At least it didn't count against me since she was the one asking to cancel it.

• kamboka
    Options

Glad that you both are having great sales. My monthly check was deposited today and I was happy with the amount but sad that I don't know when I can post again. The people here want me back for four more months. I really like my colleagues here but I'm not fluent Portuguese so it's harder for me to work.

• petite1
    Options

mocame, I am dealing with an international buyer that didn't ask if I ship internationally and won. Now won't pay, because the shipping is too high.

Kamboka, Do you speak multiple languages? I speak enough broken Spanish to get what I need when traveling, but that is it.

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: I started Spanish lessons when I was in elementary school. I've lived over five years in Portuguese speaking countries and I still can hardly speak either language. It really makes working here more challenging as many of my meetings are in Portuguese. It doesn't help with the masks as I need to see people's faces and almost read lips. I tried to study again earlier this year but at my age, the brain does not want to try to learn a new language. Sometimes, I can't figure out how to speak English well. Smile

• mocame
    Options

Kamboka - That must be hard to do your work when you don't know what they are saying. I would struggle and four months is a long time in a foreign country.

Petite - How frustrating! I wish buyers would read the whole listing before they buy. I just sent an item out and it had a figure that was usable but broken. I'm hoping the read the title and description.

I've had sales almost every single day. I haven't listed anything in months so I'm happy for the sales.