Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation October 2019

Options

Comments

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,053
    Options

mocame: How was the cabin? How did the doc appointment go?

I just got a note in the mail today saying that when I changed work contracts, my dental coverage ended the first week of October. I was told that my coverage would be till the first of November. Now, I will have to pay for the entire crown. If I had known that, I could have waited.

Also, my Thursday PET scan may be cancelled. The insurance company still has not given the approval. If I don't have it done this week, I might have to wait till next February. Ugh. I'd really like to know if anything is going on sooner rather than later. Mayo asked me to follow up with the insurance company tomorrow and then reschedule if they won't pay.

I got back from my 24 hours in DC. It was raining yesterday so I didn't get to do anything fun. I should be heading out for my work assignment on Saturday. I'm not looking forward to the 28 hour journey and then having to turn around and come back right before Thanksgiving.

• mocame
    mocame Member Posts: 554
    Options

Kamboka - Sorry the DC trip weather wasn't nice. How did you like being back where you used to live? I would be on the insurance company about approving the PET scan. I find insurance companies so frustrating. You can't wait until February. I hope you have a safe trip on Saturday. I can't imagine a 28 hour journey. Is it all by plane?

Petite - How are you doing?

The weather at the mountains this past weekend was sunny but cold. On Saturday morning it was 30 degrees, and we went on a hike. Brrr! But it warmed up to about 59 as the high. Sunday it was 27 degrees when we woke up. The cabin had a fireplace for heat and it was fine during the day but not at night. By morning, we were freezing. We did a lot of hiking, sightseeing, spotting deer, and talking. It was a good weekend. I had my bone/joint dr appointment today and got another Prolia shot. He wants me on Prolia as long as I'm on Anastrozole. That would be until at least December, 2029. It's funny but tonight I had numbness in my face. I haven't had that in weeks so I'm not sure if there is a connection to the Prolia or not. My calcium levels are high, not low which can be a side effect of the Prolia. He is okay with me not taking my calcium supplement anymore. My bloodwork showed my calcium levels were high and he said I get enough calcium in my diet. Will get bloodwork again a month before my next shot.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,200
    Options

Kamboka, Insurance can be such a pain. I wanted to follow up with my cardiovascular surgeon regarding my varicose veins and have not gotten the approval. I have been waiting for nearly 6 weeks. Sorry the trip to DC wasn't pleasant. Hoping the long trip will be pleasant.

mocame, The trip to the mountains sounds wonderful, even if it was cold. I haven't been to the mountains since I buried my mom. It was cold at night and hot in the day.

My friend had her breast surgery Monday. They also did a hysterectomy and she needs to have the other breast removed. Poor lady. :(

• kamboka
    Options

Well, I've been on the phone with the insurance company three times today. Mayo has also been calling them and me but I just was told that they are denying coverage. I'm trying to contact the doctor to see if they can appeal or try for just a CT scan alone. I'll only have two days in the States this year around Thanksgiving. I was so wishing to get it over with so I would know something--now I have to stress about it for more weeks!

petite1: Sorry to hear about your friends surgeries. That's a lot for her to take in all at once. I did not have to do a mastectomy but if I had, I won't to have a bilateral. I was talking to a lady recently who said she wanted a bilat but her insurance wouldn't pay for it. These insurance companies think they know better than the doctors and the patients.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, That sounds stressful and just before you need to leave. I hope it gets worked out. My friend is doing well, all things considered. She will have a long road to recover, but she is a strong lady and has good support.

• kamboka
    Options

Mayo has managed to get me scheduled for a CT and Bone scan for tomorrow. I really think everything will be okay as I have no increased symptoms. It will be good to know though.

• mocame
    Options

Kamboka - I'm glad they can get you in so you can maybe get some answers before you leave.

Petite - I'm glad your friend is doing well. That is a lot to go through.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, I am glad you will get it done before your trip.

mocame, my friend is going back in to remove the other breast. I think on Monday.

• kamboka
    Options

Good news! Both tests were negative. Now, I can travel without that weight on my shoulders.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, That is fantastic!

• mocame
    Options

Kamboka - Great news! What a relief!

• petite1
    Options

It is a dark, windy, rainy day as Nicole makes it's way over Florida. The eye should pass over me about 1:00 this afternoon.

• kamboka
    Options

Got to the hotel on Monday morning at 6 am after about 35 hours of travel time. I wasn't in too bad a shape since I had 13 hours in Frankfurt and they have sleeping rooms. I slept and laid around for 12 hours. Things were going well until yesterday when I got locked out of my work account. A day later, its still not on and I'm having to reliy on somebody in DC to get me back. I've lost so much work time. Luckily, tomorrow is the holiday and I have the weekend to get caught up.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, Good to hear from you. I hope you can get that resolved and get your work caught up. The storm wasn't too bad on this side. The Atlantic side got the worst of it and had not recovered from Ian.

• mocame
    Options

Kamboka - I'm glad you got there safely! Hopefully your work goes smoothly from now on.

Petite - I'm glad you made it through the storm without damage. My parents were in a mobile home west of where it was predicted to take a direct hit. They didn't seem too concerned about it in the beginning. Thankfully the storm turned more north, and they were in the south side of the "cone" as it came ashore. I worry as much about them as my kids! Thankfully, they came home this weekend and don't go back until January.

• petite1
    Options

mocame, Glad they did not have any damage.

• petite1
    Options

mocame, Kamboka, Are you OK?

• kamboka
    Options

I got back to the States on Sunday night midnight. I was delayed 4 hours in Europe so I missed my connection from Newark to Jax. I was so tired after another 30 hour journey. I hate air travel. Anyways, I leave tomorrow for my sister's house for Thanksgiving. I'll be coming back Friday. My mom will come with me and leave from Jax on Tuesday. I have to go back overseas on Wednesday.

Hope you both have a great holiday.

Do you plan to do any shopping?

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, So good to hear from you. What a long trip! I am glad you made it back. Sounds like you don't have much time to relax before you take off again. I do plan to do some Black Friday shopping. Happy Thanksgiving!

• mocame
    Options

Kamboka - I'm glad you made it home safely! I would be exhausted after traveling that long!

I hope you both had a good Thanksgiving.

Sorry, I haven't posted for awhile. I've been so busy between dr appointments, work, family stuff, my husband's dr appointments, and Thanksgiving that I didn't have a chance to check-in here. I get a root canal done tomorrow, my husband is supposed to have elbow surgery on Thursday (although he may need to push that off a few days due to work schedule), I have a functional medicine dr appointment and another dentist appointmet (for a crown) next week and my husband is also supposed to have knee surgery sometime this month too.

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: You have indeed been really busy. Your husband is having both surgeries this month. I hope he does well with them. The holidays are always super busy, especially for women. We had Thanksgiving at my sisters and her husband is the main cook. I only had to buy a Honeybaked ham. My mom is with me until tomorrow morning when she flies home. I have to go back overseas on Wednesday. I had a nice time but am dreading that long flight again. I don't get back till end of January. What are you Christamas plans?

• petite1
    Options

mocame, Good to hear from you. You have been busy. Hope all goes well with your husband's surgery and your doctor & dentist appointments.

Kamboka, it looks like you will be away during Christmas. Did I read that correctly?

I finally went on my get away for 2 days. It was pleasant. We had a nice room and the family joined us for lunch on Sunday. That was the best part. Dermatologist appointment Weds.

• mocame
    Options

Petite-I'm glad you had a nice time away.

Kamboka - That is a long trip and it's understandable not to want to do that again. I'm sorry you have to be away over Christmas. That stinks. Do they celebrate it there?

I had a root canal on Tuesday and can only eat on one side for at least a week or two. Not fun. Work is busy. Ebay is slow. I host my family's Christmas gathering on 12/18. I have no idea what food I'm making yet and we have gluten, dairy and nut allergies so I have to be careful what I serve. My husband's family gets together on 12/24, then go to Christmas eve services and we will have a quiet Christmas day.

• mocame
    Options

Petite-I'm glad you had a nice time away.

Kamboka - That is a long trip and it's understandable not to want to do that again. I'm sorry you have to be away over Christmas. That stinks. Do they celebrate it there?

I had a root canal on Tuesday and can only eat on one side for at least a week or two. Not fun. Work is busy. Ebay is slow. I host my family's Christmas gathering on 12/18. I have no idea what food I'm making yet and we have gluten, dairy and nut allergies so I have to be careful what I serve. My husband's family gets together on 12/24, then go to Christmas eve services and we will have a quiet Christmas day.

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: Was your getaway in FL? I wish I was retired and rich so I could just do little side trips to places that people don't always go to. That's why I so much enjoyed my 9 state western trip. I assume the dermatology appointment went well. I'm jsut now getting all my bills for the scans and sleep study. Man, what I pay as a co-pay would be the entire thing in another country.

mocame: I don't envy you the root canal. At least my work was only a crown. I ended up having to pay an additional $900 because my insurance ended a week earlier. What timing. I guess I can see why people just let dental work and other medical procedure go, it's too expensive! Hope the pain goes away quickly.

Sounds like you are gearing up for lots of festivities. It's a lot of work prepping for company but it's always worth it.

The hotel gave me an apartment but not the one with the balcony. I'm am trying to sweet talk them into it so that I can celebrate Christmas outside looking at the water.

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: Was your getaway in FL? I wish I was retired and rich so I could just do little side trips to places that people don't always go to. That's why I so much enjoyed my 9 state western trip. I assume the dermatology appointment went well. I'm jsut now getting all my bills for the scans and sleep study. Man, what I pay as a co-pay would be the entire thing in another country.

mocame: I don't envy you the root canal. At least my work was only a crown. I ended up having to pay an additional $900 because my insurance ended a week earlier. What timing. I guess I can see why people just let dental work and other medical procedure go, it's too expensive! Hope the pain goes away quickly.

Sounds like you are gearing up for lots of festivities. It's a lot of work prepping for company but it's always worth it.

The hotel gave me an apartment but not the one with the balcony. I'm am trying to sweet talk them into it so that I can celebrate Christmas outside looking at the water.

• petite1
    Options

mocame, That sounds like fun. I am trying to get the family here for Christmas eve, but it doesn't seem to be working out. I was planning to do a standing rib roast. I will do it anyway, even if no takers. Ebay has been slow, but I didn't list while I was gone.

Kamboka, We went to Hudson Beach, Fl. I love balconies. I hope you can get one with a view.

• mocame
    Options

Kamboka - I hope you are doing well.

Petite - I'm glad you had a good time away. I would love to be in Florida right now. As I'm typing, it is 22 degrees and there is a chance of wintry mix/snow/rain on Thursday. Yuck.

I've now had the temporary crown put on my tooth so I'm still chewing on one side. Ha! My permanent crown goes on next week. I had my appt last week with the functional medicine NP. She is happy with almost everything I'm eating but after reviewing my bloodwork (I took copies of everything from the past few years), she told me that I had Hashimoto's disease! Say what?! According to my bloodwork from 2019 and 2020 that my PCP ordered, I have Hashimoto's and nobody told me. So now I have to eat gluten free. Ugh.

I am scrambling to get my house and things ready for my family Christmas gathering on Sunday. My son is coming home from college early (today) due to the bad weather they are forecasting so I'm hoping he will also help me clean or do something to help get ready. :)

• petite1
    Options

mocame, I have Hashimoto's and have to take thyroid pills. I did not have to change my diet. I have had it since 1970's.

• petite1
    Options

Deep freeze coming to Florida this week. The extended family is coming on Christmas Eve. I am looking forward to it.