Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation October 2019

Options

Comments

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,053
    Options

petite1: I've been following the weather from here. It looks like two nights in Jax we'll be getting below 32. I think that since it's warmer in the day, that I won't have a problem with my pipes. I do, however, worry about my hibiscus. Last year, I almost lost it with one night of below freezing. Fingers crossed.

Tomorrow, I'll finally get some rest from my busy work schedule until January. I can't wait to slow down. I don't know what I'll have to Christmas meal but I might break down and order room service. The hotel is doing a Christmas Eve dinner and the menu looks really good. I am too cheap to spend the $120 for the ticket! I'll go to KFC (our only fast food) and pick up some chicken for a few days as a treat.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,191
    Options

That would have to be a very good Christmas meal for $120. With the KFC you can have leftovers. Sounds like the perfect choice.

• mocame
    mocame Member Posts: 554
    Options

I would take that 32 degrees right now. Today, we are expected to get 1 to 3 inches of snow, followed by rain, 40 mph gusts, and then tomorrow morning it will rain The high will be 50 degrees in the morning and then within 2 hours it will crash into the single digits! Add to that the 40 mph gusts! I will go to work and the temps will be around 50 and when I leave work, the wind chill is supposed to be -3 degrees! Craziness. My husband has surgery on Friday about 45 minutes away and there is a concern about flash freeze on the highway. My daughter is driving him.

• petite1
    Options

mocame, The weather sounds terrible. Wishing your husband the best.

My 25 year old cat died, yesterday.Sad

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: Sorry to hear about your cat. She lived a long life and sounds like she gave many people joy.

mocame: It's like Murphy's law--when the weather is bad, that's when you have to go somewhere. Safe travels on Friday and hope the surgery goes well. Are they outpatient and having to come back the same day? I'm hearing the weather will be better on Saturday.

• petite1
    Options

28 degrees this morning. BRRRR

• petite1
    Options

I hope you both had a very nice Christmas. Husband and I both came down with a cold or flu.

• kamboka
    Options

Hope you both had a great Christmas day. Seems like this crazy cold weather might be gone tomorrow. I hope my hibiscus survived the three night so cold.

petite1: Sorry you and your husband got the cold/flu. Pamper youselves with the chicken soup and orange juice.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, My Bird of Paradise is not looking well. 27 is the killer temperature of it and we had 3 days that it was below 27 for hours. We wrapped it up the best we could and hope it will come back in the Spring, I am going to uncover it today. I still have a bad cough and still don't feel good. Husband is still congested, head and chest. We aren't eating much. I did have leftover pie for lunch and had a meal for dinner, yesterday. Maybe fruit for breakfast and try to eat somewhat normal today.

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: Prayers for you, hubby and the bird of paradise. Maybe when it warms up more, you will feel better. Nothing much ever stops my appetite and luckily I don't have colds very often.

• mocame
    Options

Petite - I hope you and your husband feel better soon. There is so much of that stuff going around right now. It finally got past 32 degrees here yesterday. Heat wave! LOL.

Kamboka - How was your Christmas?

My husband's surgery went well. We did get some ice but not the snow they were predicting so that was good. It's just been brutally cold. Today is supposed to reach 40 degrees and maybe 50 tomorrow. Yay! Christmas was nice but came and went too quickly. I'm ready for New Years so I can have another day off before we hit the craziness of the new year at work. Ebay has been dead. I haven't sold anything since the beginning of December.

• petite1
    Options

mocame, We are feeling a little better and it warmed up. My ebay is plugging along. I am only listing a few things. Some are going very well. I will be winding down, next year. It gives me a little something to do and I enjoy it, but I am not sure how the new changes with IRS will affect it. Glad your husband's surgery went well. I agree, I am ready for 2022 to be out of here.

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: Glad you both are feeling better. I forgot to tell you that we have some good news about the Ebay taxes. Apparently, a few days before Christmas, the IRS postponed the $600 tax reporting requirement. It didn't say when it might go into effect but not 2023. I think they got so much backwash from that decision. For example, all my family paid for their family reunion fees through my Venmo. It looks like I made thousands of dollars but I didn't make anything. I'm committed overseas until April but hope to get back to Ebay when I'm back. My brother is at my house now and he thinks that my hibiscus has survived. I hope he's right.

mocame: I'm glad it's warming up there. I've been reading about Buffalo and all the traveler stranded throughout Christmas. What a time people are having! I didn't leave the room on Christmas except to have breakfast. I watch Hallmark Christmas movies all day. Not my favorite channel but better than nothing. We have about five English speaking channels. One is BBC and the others are old movies. However, they did premiere Top Gun Maverick on Monday night. It was my third time watching it.

• mocame
    Options

Petite1 - I'm glad you are feeling better. I'm trying to get rid of my ebay inventory too. Although I still have things from my house to sell, I just don't have the time. It's been almost 9 months of working long days and my coworker and I are done. The atmosphere is not good and morale is terrible. If it wasn't that I have good benefits, I would've been out of there awhile ago. This week I've only been going in an hour early but my boss asked us to work on Monday and that is our paid holiday. :(

Kamboka - I love Top Gun! I've only seen the new movie once but it is definitely a movie to watch multiple times. My niece just had a baby a week ago and named him Maverick. Not sure if they named him after Top Gun or not but I like it! LOL.

• petite1
    Options

I is hard to even see the key board. My wonderful husband died 12/29/2022. The last time I was on this site, I heard a noise and went into the livingroom and he was dead with the remote in his had. I called 911 and started CPR, but he was gone.

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: I really didn't think I'd be reading your message this morning. I can't even imagine how your are feeling. It seems that I knew your husband through all the stories that you shared with us. In fact, I don't think I even knew his name. From the way you spoke of him, I could feel the bonds from many years together. You did all you could to look after him and I know that will bring you comfort later. I hope that your family and friends are surrounding you now to help you get through this season of sorrow. Your are definitely in my thoughts today and I'll keep you in my prayers as well. I'll check in later to see how things are going.

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: How are you? Holidays are bittersweet. Hoping you had family and friends with you yesterday.

• petite1
    Options

kamboka, It has been a week today and still feels unreal. I have been trying to fill every minute of the day. I walk, go to the gym and hang out with friends for lunch. I am sleeping through the night and eating 3 meals a day. I work on projects and have a list to accomplish. Thank you for your thoughts. His name is Jim.

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: I think keeping busy is a good thing for the moment. It's a small distraction that will give you time to process everything. I suppose it's day by day. I'm sure some days will be better than others but you seem to have family and friends that are there to help.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, mocame, The web site seems messed up today. I am hanging in there. I am still trying to fill every minute of the day. I went to a new church that has a lot community involvement with food pantry, thrift store and Memory impairment programs. I want to do some volunteer activities. I also signed up to do volunteer work with the neighborhood civic center. I am going to the gym everyday and taking my old lady walk in the neighborhood. I met some people to walk with and that makes it a little more pleasant.

I am glad they IRS put that off for this year. I need to to do ebay, as I enjoy it most of the time.

• kamboka
    Options

petite1; I glad to hear that you are finding things to keep you busy and at the same time getting healthier and making new friends. I find that when I'm busy at work, the time just flies by. I think getting started back on Ebay will pass the time since one can get really busy posting, packing and mailing items. I can't wait to start back to see if I can clear out a bunch of stuff. I'm here for another two weeks before heading back to the States. Then I'm only there for 8 days before heading back. I interviewed for another job that is stateside but will not know for a few more weeks if I get it.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, Good luck on the "Stateside" job. I am slowly muddling through the things I have to do. It takes a long time just to change beneficiaries on my bank account and that's just mine. I still don't have the death certificate, so haven't started any of those many meetings. I have been talking via email to my preacher and it is helpful. It is too hard to talk in person, but I can handle typing. My niece (Jim's niece) went to a therapist, yesterday and said it was helpful. This family has had so many death she probably has the therapist on speed dial. I will start after the celebration of life party.

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: When my dad died years ago, my mom didn't seem 'right'. I kind of forced her to talk to a counselor. She only went once but I guess it helped and didn't hurt. I've used counselors so many times in my life. In fact, the entire time that I went through cancer treatment, I was seeing my counselor, did hypnosis and some acupuncture. Surely one of those helped. :) In many of the African countries I work in they have a 40 day after celebration. I think that's cool.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, A BC lady that lives near me has recommended one that I will follow up with next month, if not sooner. I have been a little disorganized (my friend whose husband died a few years ago, calls it the void. My niece whose husband died in 2019, calls it the rabbit hole) and lost the will, but found it. I was on my old lady walk and suddenly didn't know where I was. It passed quickly, but so weird. That was yesterday. Today is better. I make a list of things to do and that helps greatly.

• kamboka
    Options

When I first started working overseas in developing countries, I remember going through a few phases. First, I would be so excited to be in a new place, then I'd hit that period where I hated it and wanted to go home, then I'd level out and be okay. Each trip that phase two got shorter. Just saying this in terms of grief. We have phases that we go through, sometimes many times, till we get to the place where it is almost unnoticeable. I'm so glad you have support to be there for you when you hit the rough patches. But, thankfully, those periods will pass more quickly as time goes on.

• petite1
    Options

My friends, old and new, have been so helpful and supportive.

• mocame
    Options

Petite1 - I am so sorry and saddened to hear that your husband passed away! I am so sorry that I was not on the these boards until now. It seems like you are doing a good job staying busy but I'm sure it is hard. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Kamboka - I hope you hear about the stateside job soon. That would be good if you didn't have to travel so much.

Again, I apologize for not being on here. Not only has work been busy, but since I was diagnosed with Hashimoto Disease, I've been doing research, trying to get more sleep, making a lot more healthy whole foods plant based meals (hours in the kitchen), and trying to get back to exercising every day. Some of that came to a screeching halt a week ago when my coworker's husband (who just retired the Friday before Christmas) fell and broke his hip. He had just gone through blood cancer treatments and was in remission but this has set him back. He blood counts plummeted and they could only do surgery on Wednesday and he is now too weak to do anything but use help to get out of bed to sit in a chair and that's it. Needless to say, I have been doing some of my coworker's work and my hours are still long. I am really tired and I am also getting more testing done by my functional medicine NP. I had more bloodwork done and have other non-conventional testing to be done later this month. My job is not helping my healing at all, which is frustrating. My ebay sales have completely dried up. I haven't sold anything since the beginning of December but I don't have time to really work on it either.

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: Wow, sounds like you have had an eventful end of year and beginning of the new year. Are you having any symptoms from your new diagnosis? How do they treat it? Sorry to hear about your colleague's husband. I think all of us worry about breaking bones with our treatment and ages. I try to be careful but realize that a small event can cause a major break. I was in the tub recently and slipped. At my house, I have rocks as a shower floor and my guests showers have those anti-slip mats. Too bad we can be in a vicious circle of needing to work for health insurance but the job is contributing to the health conditions.

petite1: How did the weekend go? I see it's cold again in NE FL.

• petite1
    Options

mocame, Sounds like a lot is going on for you. Is Hashimoto disease the same as Hashimoto thyroid disease? If so, it is easily regulated with medication. I am sorry to hear about your co-worker. My ebay is drying up since I haven't been out junking and have little inventory.

kamboka, I am trying to stay busy. It is a strange place I am in. I have been told it gets worse before it gets better. They say the 90 day mark is the worst. We are having the celebration of life on Thursday. I have 2 doctor appointments, a vet appointment along with home issues. This week will be busy. The home issues are a plumbing problem and an electrical problem. Hopefully both will be taken care of today.

• mocame
    Options

Petite1 - How are you doing?

Kamboka - Did you hear anything about that job?

I'm continuing to be really busy at work. It looks like it might be slowing down, although I'm afraid to say that in case I jinx it. LOL. I've had only 1 ebay sale in the past 1 1/2 months. We just got a few inches of snow yesterday. Thankfully it's almost all gone already because the temps have stayed above freezing.