Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation October 2019

Options

Comments

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,053
    edited April 2023
    Options

I will be leaving my assignment on Friday and get home on Saturday night. I think this is my last time here. It's bittersweet since I've been working with this same team for a year. I'll have a break before the next project. I have to do my taxes in a few days before I go to my mom's. I will hate writing that check as I think about what that money could do for me now. I'd love to replace my flooring and finish my cabinets but I have to give it to the government to waste. :(. My mammo appointmet is the 24th but also have to squeeze in the dentist, GYN, and dermatologist. Money, money, money.

• mocame
    mocame Member Posts: 554
    edited April 2023
    Options

Kamboka - I'm glad to hear you are coming home soon but it sounds like you are hitting the ground running. I hope you get everything done that you need to at the least amount of cost. :)

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,191
    edited April 2023
    Options

Kamboka, It sounds like you need a break. I hope you have a safe journey back and taxes aren't too bad. I did work out the double payment with IRS and should have my money back in a couple of weeks. I have to get all the oak trees that surround my property trimmed. That should cost a fortune. They will have to use a crane. It needs to be done before storm season starts.

• mocame
    edited April 2023
    Options

I hope both of you had a wonderful Easter. I hosted my husband's family on Saturday. It went fine but I'm glad it's over. It was very busy. Now I have to start thinking about my Disney trip with my son in May. It's going to come quickly! Hopefully it won't be too hot down there in Florida by then. I hear they had May hot weather in March.

• kamboka
    edited April 2023
    Options

mocame: Hosting social events is fun but so much work. I'm lazy so don't do it unless forced to. I haven't been to Disney in 40 years. I need to get there one day. The weather has been crazy here. Last week it was in the 80s. I arrived back on Saturday night and then the next three days was 60s and rain. If you are lucky it will be high 70s or low 80s and low humidity. The humidity comes later in the summer for us in Jax.

petite1: I have two palm trees that grow that crazy. It seems to be six feet a year. It was the wrong kind to plant in a residential area. I am thinking of getting them cut down. If we have high winds, they could cause damage to the house. However, it costs so much to cut down trees. My neighbor is also my yardman. He has really fixed me up for the summer. He redid my flower beds and it looks so good. The only problem is that he only speaks Albanian so we can't communicate. He never tells me what he charges so I'm just giving money willy nilly. It still is cheaper than the yard service people though. Yesterday, he brough me some loquat from his backyard. My first time tasting them and they were so good. I was hoping it was figs. He gave me some last year and they were delicious.

I'm going to TN to pick up my mom this weekend and then we'll start our trip around the SE. I think the weather will be good for Panama City.

• petite1
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hello, I missed you two. I went to my niece's on Easter, then met up with my brother and SIL. I got home late and was very emotional and a tear bucket. I have been in a semi-void for that last couple of days. I did have the trees cut back. It was expensive, $2k, but a lot of trees. They did a good job and cleaned up after themselves. Tuesday one of the rentals had plumbing issues and the plumber had to order a part. Since I was in the void, I forgot about it. I still don't know what happened, no one is answering my calls. I have grief counselling, today. I was supposed to go out boating with a group of women, but the weather is not looking good for that. It has been gray, windy and only sprinkles. My yard is dead and needs some serious rain. We should have some by week end. I hope

• kamboka
    edited April 2023
    Options

petite1: Holidays are rough and this is your first year without your husband. Glad to hear that you are in grief counseling. I took my mom after dad passed away. She didn't want to go but I am such a believer in talk therapy. Hope you have a good counselor.

I forgot to mention that I was supposed to be doing my taxes this week. However, I can't find my W2 or my 1099 for my consulting work. I didn't pay taxes for a few months so I know I have to pay. I ended up filing an extension and just sending in some money. Getting a duplicate from the government is like pulling teeth. Maybe I'll have it before October.

I think we have had lots of rain while I was gone. The pond behind my house is full and my grass is nice and green. My sister in PSL says their pond is low.

• petite1
    edited April 2023
    Options

Kamboka, It is very dry over here. We got a drizzle from the storm system that dumped so much on Ft. Lauderdale. My grief group did a pontoon boat ride in King's Bay. It was so nice. We saw 20 or so manatees, 3 dolphin, 4 turtles, and 3 Osprey.

• kamboka
    edited April 2023
    Options

petite1: I've been here three years and haven't seen any exotic animals except the alligator in my sisters' backyard. We have had plenty of rain. I've not been here for months and my yard is nice and green. Last winter was dry as I remember having to water the yard.

• petite1
    edited April 2023
    Options

Kamboka, Strange weather. It was in the 40's this morning and 80 this afternoon. I had on sweats for my walk and capris and a T shirt this afternoon. My Ebay is the worst it has ever been. I just keep relisting.

• kamboka
    Options

Trying to figure out this new format. I think it might be better than the last change.

Heading to Beaufort SC tomorrow. Decided to swing by Gatlinburg early next week before taking mom back home.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,021
    Options

Welcome back, @kamboka! It's good to see you here :) If you have any questions or need some guidance while exploring the new platform, this User Guide has a lot of very helpful info. And as always, we're here to help!

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, I am heading to St. Augustine for a mini vacation with my niece.

• mocame
    Options

Kamboka - I've never been to Gatlinburg. Let me know how you like it. I'm hoping to start traveling and seeing more of the country that I haven't seen yet. My sister-in-law is talking about taking a trip to Savannah, Georgia and some other cities nearby.

Petite1 - I hope you have a great time in St Augustine!

• petite1
    Options

mocame, good to hear from you. I am looking forward to my little trip.

• mocame
    Options

I getting ready to head down to Disney next Friday. They are saying it will be in the low 90's while we are there. Such a drastic difference from what we are experiencing here. Here it's been cool and rainy. Highs in the low 50s. We had some frost/freezing last week.

• petite1
    Options

My niece and I went on our mini-vacation to St. Augustine and had a wonderful time. Now back to doctor appointments. PCP yesterday and vascular surgeon today.

• petite1
    Options

Everything went well on both doctor's visits. I am finished with the vascular surgeon and don't have to go back. Yay. I was feeling good for about 11 days and had a meltdown last night. The grief journey is more difficult for me than the BC journey.

• mocame
    Options

Petite - I'm glad you had a great mini-vacation and your dr appointments went well! You are so strong! You will have setbacks, but I think you are doing an amazing job considering what you have gone through!

I leave on Friday for Florida. The overnight lows down there are our current highs here and we are happy to get those temps! I'm hoping I can handle the heat and humidity since we have had a cool spring. But I'm excited to go!

• petite1
    Options

mocame, Have a wonderful trip!

• kamboka
    Options

I wasn't getting any notifications of comments so I am delayed in replying.

We stayed in Pigeon Forge and drove through Gatlinburg. We only stayed there overnight. Mom and I did the Titanic museum. It was great.

You will love Savannah. I think I like it better than Charleston. Beaufort was okay but I was expecting more. I did get my photo of the house used in the movie "The Big Chill". I learned that it sold about four years ago for only $1.6M. The empty lots is worth more than that. A wealthy NYer fixed it up.

mocame: Have a safe journey down to FL. I hope you have a great time in Orlando.

BTW, I had my mammo a few weeks ago and everything was good. I decided to take an AI holiday. I'm three weeks in and still have problems with the foot neuropathy and the joint stiffness. I've almost fallen a few times as my right ankle and hip will sometimes get weak and give out.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, It is so good to hear from you. I sounds like a wonderful trip. I have been to Savanah several times. It is an interesting city and reminds me of St. Augustine. I have been doing some sewing and still recreating old jewelry. I keeps me occupied. I am still adjusting to the solo life. I still have 2 rental properties, which are having issues at the same time. Last week I replaced a range in one and this week it is the A/C in the other. I would sell them, but I need the income. When my husband died, so did his pension. The out going is still greater than the incoming. I think, if stuff stops breaking, I will be ok financially. Grief wise, I still have issues.

• kamboka
    Options

I'm still not getting notifications so I emailed the moderator. They say I have to reset something. I'll see if I can figure it out.

I had to get my HVAC changed out this week. Luckily, they have a 12 month no interest. I'll try to pay it off if I can get my next assignment going. I think I'll start it in a week or so. I'll be working remote from home. I like being home but I lose money when I work from FL. My sister and BIL are coming for the holiday weekend. We plan to go fishing and to attend the Palatka Jazz Blue crab festival.

mocame: How was Disney?

• mocame
    Options

Kamboka - I never get notifications of new messages. I'm glad you had a good trip. Pigeon Forge and Savannah are on my list of places to visit. I hope you have a good holiday weekend with your family.

Petite - I'm glad you had a good trip to St Augustine. I will keep that on my radar of places I want to visit. The list is long. :)

Disney was fine. My son is a different person than my daughter and didn't want to do as much as she did. I would've shortened the trip if I would've known that. In the beginning of the trip, I had problems with my heart rate running high and I couldn't get it down. Also had anxiety and couldn't sleep. I thought maybe it was due to a new supplement my functional medicine dr gave me. I stopped taking it and 48 hours later, I felt fine again. It was hot and humid, which was a drastic difference for us since at home the highs were in the 60s and 70s. Besides our California trip next year, I don't have any plans to go back to Disney, especially if they don't change their system of seeing attractions/getting on rides. Too much planning, even for this planner and the cost is too much without the guarantee of what you can see.

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: I had to reset my preferences to get my notifications. To do that, you go to your name (icon) at the top right to get the dropdown list. Go to privacy then go to notifications on the right side to reset your alerts.

Interesting about your Disney trip. We all have such different styles when it comes to travel. I like to see everything and read stuff while my mom and sister are quickies and they are ready to go. I do hear complains that Disney lines are too long. I know the cost is high since FL residents get a discount and it's still high. I hear that Busch Gardens in Tampa was a better bet. I went there over 30 years ago around the same time I did Disney. Maybe one day I'll go back but it will be in the winter.

My sister and BIL are coming this weekend. We are supposed to go to the Blue Crab festival one day. We'll go fishing and then estate sales shopping as well.

This week I changed out my wall oven and microwave to stainless steel. I bought the oven off Facebook. I'd like to paint my kitchen cabinets and change out the countertops but the size is big and the price is even bigger. I need to make a decision as to what I want done most, painting, countertops or change the carpeting.

• petite1
    Options

mocame, I am glad you had a good trip. My grandnephew and his wife are taking me to Tennessee in October. They rented a VRBO mountain cabin. I am looking forward to it. My niece and I are going to Cedar Key for a weekend trip next week. This week I have not felt well. I lost my voice, then chest congestion and now diarrhea. I slept a lot today and feel better tonight.

Kamboka, I have not reset preferences nor updated my signature. I guess I should.

• kamboka
    Options

petite1: I hope you are feeling better now. Going to the mountains in October will be so beautiful. If it's early, you should catch the tree colors. I'm assuming you will be near Gatlinburg. I enjoyed my time there. Did I mention that mom and I ate at Paula Dean's. It is served family style and was really good.

I've booked myself a trip to North Dakota for labor day weekend. I was going to Vermont and had booked the air and car when I tried to book lodging. The hotels were expensive—over $150. I'm cheap so I cancelled the air and car. I then rebooked for ND. The hotels are under $80. I'm trying to get my last three states in to get to 50. I also need Alaska.

• petite1
    Options

Kamboka, That sounds like fun.

• mocame
    Options

Petite - I hope you are feeling better. My husband has been sick for about 2 weeks (cold symptoms) and just can't shake it. Dr says there isn't any infection. My son and I now have it but we're not as bad as my husband is. I was COVID tested because of work and tested negative.

Kamboka - And I think $150/night is cheap! LOL. I've been looking at multiple states to find places that we haven't been to yet and I have a hard time finding anything under $150 and they aren't anything special. Mental note that ND is cheap. :)

This year has been the weirdest weather-wise that I remember. We had almost no snow and it was a warm winter. The spring was fine, but we had a cool and dry May. Our grass is so dry, and no rain forecasted until maybe Sunday. We haven't even had a thunderstorm so far this year. Weird. We have a well and not hooked up to public water, so I get concerned about the water levels.

• kamboka
    Options

mocame: My sister, who is now a substitute teacher, is getting sick every week, it seems. A lot of folks seem to be getting all kinds of things. I guess the immune systems are weakened. Do you take any of those supplements to strength your system? I have a hard time remembering to take my AI and stopped vitamins last year. So far, I've not had a cold in a while. Hope you all feel better soon.

I was surprised that ND had such cheap rates on a holiday weekend. If you go near the parks out west, the prices so high. I think I paid over $200 near Yellowstone for a not so nice room.

Since I got back in early April, it's been nice here. Not too much rain but enough to keep the grass green. I just completely gave my yard over to my neighbor. He's done a good job. He's an an older man from Albania, doesn't speak much English, and I don't understand anything he's saying. I just let him do what he does best. I'm getting a really tall palm tree cut down next week. I fear that if we have a hurricane it will fall on either my roof or my neighbors. Besides, it normally cost me almost $200 each year to get the dead fonds cut down. This will save me some money.

Have you all heard of a Natera test? My new MO has ordered it for me. It's been five weeks already so I should be getting a report soon. I think it's similar to the Oncotype but using DNA.