Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Buckle up ladies, Puketober is upon us

Options

Comments

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    Options

Sandi, that is amazing that 100% goes to assisting patients, and of course one does not want to stop the money for that coming in. Is the fundraiser done tastefully and appropriately? The way some of these events are done just furthers the trivialization and sexualization of a serious disease, and marginalizes mbc and male patients. What should we do in these cases? Last year I helped request and man (woman?) a table for mbc at a typical local pink event. I cringed a lot that day, but I did have the chance to help some people and get mbc included.

• finallyoverit
    finallyoverit Member Posts: 133
    Options

4 down.. 27 days to go. Yes, I’m counting

• pianolady
    pianolady Member Posts: 7
    Options

Oh, me too!

• lehrski
    lehrski Member Posts: 68
    Options

A new bra shop opened in town and I went in to see if I could find a proper bra that would hold falsies or even a mastectomy bra. I usually just use a soft sock.The shop was draped in pink with a big banner that said “We support breast cancer”. I asked the clerk about what they had and the reply was “Oh, we’d never carry something like that. You should look online and see if you can find someone who carries that kind of thing.” I wished I was quicker and could have said something in reply to the clerk.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    Options

Was in my neighborhood Walmart today. Lady on the register had Store Manager on her badge. I confirmed she was Manager, then said I wanted to thank her. She got a puzzled look, I said, Thank You for NOT having pink breast cancer awareness crap all over the store. Big grin. Then I said a lot of us don’t like it. She said her mom was a survivor.

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    Options

surprisingly, so far, I have not seen a single pink thing. Nothing. That said, thanks to Covid, I don’t venture out much...

Yesterday, I was at Mt. Sinai Hospital in Manhattan. I was sure I would see something. Again, nothing at all.

what a lovely October......

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    Options

Lehrski, it is not too late to call or write the store manager if you feel up to it. Support breast cancer? But it’s the enemy! If you mean support research for better treatments or a cure, to what organization is your store donating? Or are you donating to directly help women during their breast cancer ordeal? Neither? Well, could you at least carry mastectomy bras for women who need them? Because that would be a really great start and really appropriate. And offering appointments with a fitter would be amazing. And don’t bother perpetuating or donating to the pink awareness machine, please. Everyone is aware by now. Finally, it’s a disease, not a marketing opportunity.

Nice, Spookiesmom!

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    Options

I have hated puketober since I was diagnosed 15 years ago with stage 3. When my “friends“ wanted me to march in the survivors parade and camp out I realized how nuts this was. I was in the middle of AC that landed me in the hospital 3 times. They couldn’t understand ..they thought that it would “do me good” to get out. I was just figuring out how to get back to work.

Since then I have learned that I can be an advocate for patients like myself. I was a reference librarian. I made sure we had the most up to date information possible. I taught consumers how to search for research news. I was open with everyone that I was lucky having Herceptin approved just as I started down this road, I never wear that shade of pink or any boas. I found great information here and recommended this site to anyone wanting information.

I was lucky I had an 11 year break but I always knew it might come back. My mo was very honest about those 2 lymph nodes that were positive. It came back in 2017. But this time I made a point of talking to store owners, friends and family about my wish that donations without receiving anything pink was the best way the could help us.

I haven’t noticed any $300+ pink cleats at the football games this season. Maybe we are making progress. Maybe they are helping people afford groceries this fall.

Wishing you all lovely fall leaf colors to brighten your days, many good days and years. Stay safe.

• finallyoverit
    Options

11 days down.. 20 to go. I’m really struggling this year.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,039
    Options

Maire, I also noticed the NFL isn’t clothed in pink this month.

Lehrski, the comment from that employee of the bra store is the antithesis of supporting breast cancer! If it were me, I would get in touch with the store manager by phone or letter and tell her/him that their banner is not backed up by their actions. At the very least, if someone comes in looking for mastectomy bras, the store should have printed information to hand out of stores names online or brick and mortar stores where such items could be purchased. THAT is a form of support.

For the employee to say “we would *never* carry something like that”, she is saying, oh, we will not acknowledge that some women have their breast cut off. We don’t want to even THINK about that kind of image. We only support two-breasted women.

I’m offended by her comments.

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    Options

Shetland..just saw your comment!

One of the good fundraisers in my area was a pier fishing tournament for girls of all ages, preferably never fished before. It was to encourage fishing and make it fun. All proceeds went to a nonprofit to help pay for gas, meds, hotels, food for cancer patients who apply for assistance. This nonprofit fund raises year around, not just October. But the October Hoopla helps bring in the attention.

I guess I do like the Pink fancy cocktails at local restaurants..had to confess that.

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    Options

No pink here either. Went to lab/pharmacy yesterday- no pink.
    lehrski- I agree with others- she was offensive! Even Nordstrom’s carries mastectomy bras ( not informed staff however- but, still nice and trying) LLBean has mastectomy bathing suits-sopretty mainstream. Easy to get online- although I don’t know the return policy.

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,051
    Options

Here's one of the worst pink things Ive seen.

• lehrski
    lehrski Member Posts: 68
    Options

Shetland Pony - thanks that is so well worded. I wish I could up with stuff like that on the spot

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    Options

OMG. That is just so wrong on so many levels Traveltext

• RhosgobelRabbit
    RhosgobelRabbit Member Posts: 502
    Options

Traveltext, I think I can safely say that's the worst use of pink I've ever seen....wow just wow.

I was telling my oncologist the other day a brief synopsis of the crazy things people have said to me since my cancer diagnosis and my progression to Stage 4. My oncologist's eyes about popped out behind her mask and she asked me "Who are these people?!" I said "I don't know, but I had to get cancer to meet them".

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,051
    Options

Indeed, RR, we had to get breast cancer to learn so much weird stuff. Coulda done without it, but some light relief along the way is okay from time to time.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    Options

I don't know. Being diagnosed with breast cancer really is $#!++y. So it's quite apt, I think.

Loopy

• sandibeach57
    Options

Good one Beesie.

• finallyoverit
    Options

17 down.. 14 to go. I’ve seriously had enough of the FB meme showing the dog with the pink balloons stating “get those puppies checked!. It makes me want to hurl.

• finallyoverit
    Options

19 down.. 11 to go. November is in sight

• spookiesmom
    Options

Between the election, an over active hurricane season, pink crap, cancer, I CANT WAIT

• finallyoverit
    Options

We are almost there, everyone.. 9 more days. We can do this

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,060
    Options

Traveltext: I despise pink. I didn't like pink when I was a little girl but pink porta-potties means "women only" and I am for that. At Burnaby Blues and Roots a few years ago, it was noticeable that the area around the line of pink porta-potties was clean but the grey ones for the guys had strings of toilet paper and such stretched out in front. It was laughable and gross at the same time.

All that rah-rah and pink in October is just too much. YAY - way to go, Girl. You are a survivor. You fought the battle and won. What about us? Are we failures?

• finallyoverit
    Options

Almost there.. 2.5 more days. Won’t be sad to see it go.

• sandibeach57
    Options

I think it wouldn't bother me so much if October breast cancer awareness wasn't linked to desire of financial business gain.

I am okay if business wants to select a day and donate all proceeds and were sincere in providing research dollars, especially metastatic breast cancer research.

You know, the one that kills.

• finallyoverit
    Options

A few more hours and 2020 Puketober will be in the books! Not sorry to see it go.

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    Options

👍👍

• finallyoverit
    Options

Andddd.. it’s over for another year. Buh bye Puketober. Puk

• spookiesmom
    Options

Almost that time of year again. Ugh.