Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Buckle up ladies, Puketober is upon us

Options

Comments

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,607
    Options

SFcakes, I love it and your bio line, BS for sure!

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625
    Options

I did find this image online and I think I will share this on my social media as I think it puts some reality to our stage 4 diagnosis:

Recognizing Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    Options

I have this one! Don't know of any local events I can crash though. Ha.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,630
    Options

cowgal, great poster. I copied and shared it on my FB and IG pages.

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454
    Options

I had no idea this is MBC Awareness Day. But I tend to close my eyes and ears on advertisements. I do love all the t shirts 👕

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 661
    Options

Here’s something that showed up in a monthly shopper magazine from a nearby city. WTF?

BTW we’re not in Ohio so why the donation is going to the Cleveland Clinic is beyond me. We have 2 medical schools w/affiliated training hospitals each with outreach cancer centers.

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625
    Options

Goldens - Wow! They sure think that they are being clever. If they had just had it as "Brakes for Breast Cancer" or "Brakes for Breast Cancer Research", it wouldn't be offensive but they had to go with the catchy phrase, didn't they?

Sunshine - I think the poster may help people understand quickly the seriousness of MBC and give some quick facts that the general public doesn't know. For instance, I don't think they realize most of the money raised for breast cancer doesn't go to helping those of us with MBC.

• sunshine99
    Options

cowgal, I'm already getting some positive feedback from that poster. I think it helps to show people (without saying, "poor me") that Stage IV cancer is NOT curable, and that "Fight, Fight, Fight!" isn't particularly helpful. I think the survival stats are sobering as is the fact that men get little to none of the support and hoopla that women get.

Goldens, sigh....

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,064
    Options

Somehow I have been TOTALLY unaware of MBC Day. I know Talk Like A Pirate Day, Martini Day and other silly "days" I had to go Google it. It is disgusting and disheartening to see how little money goes into MBC research. Are we a lost cause so all the $$ goes into catching it early and curing it? The other day I saw an intem on the news where, becasey of Covid, a woman missed her mammo by 9 months -- then they found cancer. No mention of stage, size etc. Maybe if she had gone on time she would have had the "all clear" and a year later find out she had a cancer that started developing just after her mammo. That stuff just creates fear and guilt.

Love the T's.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,176
    Options

Cleveland Clinc is a big, well known hospital around the country. No different tif they donated the $$ to Moffit here in Tampa. At least they ARENT sending it to Komen.

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    Options
    It's also so specific to a single research project that I'd guess they have some sort of personal connection to it? Worth asking just out of curiosity. Lol.

But ick. Brakes for breasts. Ew.
  • sunshine99
    Options

Oh man, now I have these random "awareness" slogans going through my head:

Truckers for testicles
    Cooks for colons
    Librarians for lungs

Any others?

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    Options

HaHaHaHa. truckers for testicles is my favorite!

• sunshine99
    Options

Ornithologists for ovaries!

• star2017
    star2017 Member Posts: 370
    Options

was wondering if you all saw this piece and what your thoughts are. She was diagnosed the same time I was and is only a year older. Seeing her and hearing her story helps me feel more empowered.

https://www.instyle.com/kelly-crump-sports-illustr...

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,597
    Options

That's a real nice scar actually (although Im sure it got a little bit of a touch up). And from the article she was dx'd de novo as well? Its kinda slipped in there but I appreciate that they found someone who wasn't very early stage, and explained the different types as shes HER2+.

Thanks for posting star - that was actually inspiring! (the walking across the Sahara and 5 years metastatic bit at the very least) :)

• star2017
    star2017 Member Posts: 370
    Options

Agreed! It's why I shared.

• finallyoverit
    finallyoverit Member Posts: 133
    Options

20 days down… 11 to go. Yes, I’m counting. Although, for whatever reason, the pink washing doesn’t seem as intense this year

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,074
    Options

star, I hadn't seen the article or heard of the woman, Kelly Crump, before. I have mixed feelings about the article tho mostly positive ones. It's immediately apparent that her scar is airbrushed. But damn, she has a gorgeous face and a smokin' bod! That swimsuit is a geometric marvel. Her facial expression is so genuine. Not a fake-y smile, it is simply real. Maybe none of you noticed the ring on her finger. I have the exact same one—-it is Dimonique from QVC and costs less that $75!

I'm impressed her photo was given a full page one in the magazine. Also, she mentions the type bc she has and that she “was shocked to know there are so many different kinds and subtypes — where it can be in the breast, and how it can show up." So often this kind of insight isn't mentioned by high profiled women with bc or mbc. It sounds like she has a great platform to share information on the disease of mbc. It's impressive she's been at it five years already. I wish the title of the article had the word metastatic in it. Overall, tho, I agree that it is an inspiring story and I hope her words and message reach many who need to hear them.

• sunshine99
    Options

I agree that it doesn't seem to be as overwhelming this year. Even at the grocery store checkout, the screen just asks if I want to make a donation to cancer research. Not noticing pink on everything. Thankful for that!

Carol

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,074
    Options

Whelp, Pinktober always starts out with a bang and sort of ends with a whimper. As the month winds to a close, people move away from the scary topic of breast cancer to the scary fun of Halloween. It really seems in my area that there was not as much emphasis on bc awareness month as in other years. I have to wonder if the pandemic played a role in that. Is it that covid and the pandemic were so dramatic that breast cancer seems less so? During the pandemic, the medical field was attacked by so many. The opinions of doctors and nurses were publicly challenged in a way they'd never been before. Does the general public put less emphasis on the curing of disease because of that? Is the mindset that medical professionals don't know what they're talking about? I cannot say.

I only had a couple small Pinktober moments this month. One was after I got bloodwork, which the order clearly states bc, the tech wrapped my arm with pink tape without making any comment. I was wearing mostly blue and they always use tape the color of my clothes. The second was with the billing clerk at the radiologist dept, a place that was new to me. After completing the paperwork, she pulled out a a large, pink frosted smiley face cookie in a baggie, gave it to me and said it was for bc awareness month. The cookie was from a well known Pittsburgh restaurant chain, Eat'n Park. I took it, laughed and told her I loved their cookies, which I do. I wasn't sure what to make of her reaction, if she thought I'd be more somber about it or grateful for people handing out pink desserts.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,176
    Options

I didn’t see much rah rah awareness this month. But did see quite a few good articles on mbc. And we need more of that. Hope this pattern continues.

• finallyoverit
    finallyoverit Member Posts: 133
    Options

One.more.day

I did have to laugh today when I was in the grocery store when I saw all of the pink branded bakery items on a clearance shelf. Guess it’s onto the next thing..

• vlnrph
    vlnrph Member Posts: 490
    Options

bumping for 2023

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,051
    edited October 2023
    Options

A big month for men, too. All that pink is a big puke when you see this genderless disease trivialised and made into a cause for celebration.

my old site comes out each years for those interested:

PinktoberSucks.com

• wondering44
    wondering44 Member Posts: 260
    Options

@vlnrph, thank you for bumping, Been trying to find this thread for a minute. :-)

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,349
    Options

TravelText - Couldn't agree more!

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,349
    Options

Traveltext - Couldn't agree more!

• rubyredslippers
    rubyredslippers Member Posts: 94
    Options

I just saw that stupid image of the dogs with the pink breast balloons stuck on their chest with the caption "get those puppies checked". All comments I made (instagram) were deleted as 'against the community standards". All I did was talk about why it's offensive - how it sexualises and makes a joke of breast cancer. I did not swear etc. Yet the ridiculous image remains. This is a classic example of why I hate this fucking month with a passion.

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,051
    Options

Agree. That is the worst of all pink month images. Good on you for reporting it.