Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

A place for progressive atheists.

Options

Comments

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited October 2019
    Options

By this thread being “hidden” it reinforces the religious belief that being atheist is “shameful”. Atheism is not shame based, however, Christianity is a shame based religion. A friend once told me that her therapist told her “the Jews have all the guilt covered and the Christians have all the shame covered”.

• magiclight
    magiclight Member Posts: 6,656
    edited October 2019
    Options

I find it informative that the thread -- Anyone ElseTerrified about Repeal of ACA Bill-- is visible to all and IMHO it is clearly political in that the Republicans want in squashed and Democrats do not. ProPublica is cited on that thread and it is considered progressive. That thread also has both support of and criticism of 45. So, moderators why is that an open thread and this is not? Is progressive the tipping word?

• WorryThePooh
    WorryThePooh Member Posts: 378
    edited November 2019
    Options

I'm so glad to find this thread still exists, although I am baffled about why in this day and age it has to be hidden.

I have noticed that a large number of members in the breastcancer.org community are from the US, so I have to assume that has something to do with it. Americans seem to be way more religious than other Western countries. I read in an article recently that many non-American Westerners "think of Americans as hopelessly, bafflingly, and dangerously, religious."

Atheism, Agnosticism and Secularism are all on the rise here in Australia. That's not to say that anti-atheist sentiment doesn't exist in Australia, it does, but it's not something I am often made aware of. Apparently roughly 30% of Australians do not have any religion, and religion does not play an active role in the lives of the majority of Australians. It sure doesn't play a role in mine!

ThumbsUp

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    edited November 2019
    Options

We Americans like our religion (Christianity). Unfortunately the religion we hold dear is not the "Jesus loved everybody" kind of thing. More of a "my religion can beat up your religion".

And we also dearly love guns.

And cars.

And apple pie

• laureninphx
    laureninphx Member Posts: 138
    edited November 2019
    Options

Hello all, 

Welp, I got my hand slapped and a post removed for breaking the rules. I actually did break the rules. I have to remember this is a BC board, not a dedicated board to air my differences, so I'm going to stifle my more assholish direct thoughts about people with different views. I think I can still disagree with the views themselves, but have to watch what I say about the people who have them. That's fair. On the other hand, I have to believe someone reported it, and while within their rights, I disagree with it. (see me stifling?) To put my account in jeopardy puts my life in jeopardy. There is a lot of important information on this site and if my account gets shut down, I could miss out on something potentially life-altering. <stifle stifle stifle>  So if I'm a little more quiet that I want to be that's the reason.

The part I don't get is I've been banned from reporting posts because of abuse which is weird because I've never reported a post ever. I don't really care because again I've never reported anyone and don't plan on it, but I don't want to be in more trouble than I need to be. I've emailed the mods and so far have heard nothing but crickets.

I got a packet in the mail from Social Security Disability saying they need more information about what I can no longer do and why I can no longer work. Because I'm dying, assholes. Stage IV is supposed to be an automatic approval, and if this stupid state of Texas messes that up for me, I'm going to blow a gasket. "No money for you, but we're sending thoughts and prayers." Bite me. Nothing is set in stone, and I'll call my case worker on Monday, but it's unnecessary stress. 

Anyway, hope everyone had a good pagan holiday. I started writing my book officially today. It will be slow going I think as I took two naps today, and the story is changing big time already, but it gives me something to do besides think about money and cancer. Now if I could just get my mind of sugar and on to exercise, I'd be all set. 

Lauren

PS. - this picture <STIFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLE!>

• Frisky
    Frisky Member Posts: 1,686
    edited November 2019
    Options

Hi all,

If you want to know what the sickening image above truly means, watch THE FAMILY on Netflix...if you think the situation is really bad now....wait till you watch the documentary and learn what the most powerful people in this country really believe...it's all well documented...

It will also explain why Trump acts like he does and gets away with it...

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited November 2019
    Options

So, here’s what they were praying for:

• WorryThePooh
    edited November 2019
    Options

SerenitySTAT Hahahaa love it!

Dogmumrunner, hehe yes, I'll take the cars and apple pie, leave the religion and guns!

Lauren that is odd they ask you that when you already told them you are stage IV! Enjoy your book writing.

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,055
    edited November 2019
    Options

Oh look! They're worshiping their golden cow.

Image result for golden calf

• magiclight
    edited November 2019
    Options

There is an excellent TV program titled Why We Hate. On careful review of the classic Stanford experiment re: prisoners and guards it turns out that the 'guards' did not naturally turn violent, but they did when they were given permission by the people in charge. Trump is that permission giver, sent by God according to some, as evidenced by the following:

"I'd like to punch him in the face,"

When a Black Lives Matter protester was punched and kicked by attendees at a Trump rally last fall, Trump remarked the next day that "maybe he should have been roughed up.

"Like, don't hit their head, and they just killed somebody — don't hit their head," Trump continued. "I said, you can take the hand away, okay [Trump became the jury and executioner]

Good people on both sides [re: Charlottesville]

All of this religious affirmation of his cruelty is frightening. However, at the end of that particular segment on Why we Hate, it turns out that people can turn away from extremist hate if they can find and engage with a community of non-haters. Secular humanism perhaps portrays my beliefs in something that is lacking in limiting myself as a self described atheist. I do have values and ethics and I don't believe in any god. I do see lots of examples on this and the other atheist thread that confirms those shared ethics. Just me pondering lots of ideas this morning.

• miriandra
    edited November 2019
    Options

There may be an interesting, unexplored variable in the Stanford experiment. All the "guards" were young, white men - the pinnacle of privileged demographics. Their subconscious and societally reinforced expectation that they, as white males, can get away with just about anything. Things might have been very different if the "guards" had been women or minorities.

However, no one is ever likely to try to recreate it, for obvious reasons.

• wanderweg
    wanderweg Member Posts: 487
    edited November 2019
    Options

I still hate that this thread has to be hidden, but I’m stoked to see it so active! I’ve watched a couple of episodes of The Family. It truly is chilling. It just blows my mind that the religious right adores someone so in opposition to what they claim they believe. I’d like to see Trump impeached, of course, but more than that I’d like to see him and Pence in prison.

Last night we went out to dinner and when they asked if it was a special occasion we told them it was he year anniversary of my last chemo. The sommelier said,”}We’re blessed to have you here.” I kind of wanted to say, “Why? You don’t even know me. Would you still think my presence was a blessing if you knew I was an atheist?” (But I did NOT turn away the chocolate bourbon cake they gave us on the house!

• laureninphx
    laureninphx Member Posts: 138
    edited November 2019
    Options

Chocolate bourbon cake? I'd say a Hail Mary for that. ;)

Congratulations on your 1 year anniversary! Wishing you many, many, MANY more cancer-free years. 

I have been too busy to watch, but I will eventually get to the programs recommended here. I too want Trump and Pence and Trump's trash kids in jail (probably won't happen) but I can dream. What I really want is for his supporters to snap the hell out of the trance they're in. I know that won't happen either. Whatever happens to them, the first priority is getting him and his Republican ass kissers out of office where they can no longer do such harm to the country. I'm starting to doubt that will happen either, but the boos last night made my heart happy and gave me a smidge of hope. 

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    edited November 2019
    Options

I think his supporters might respond to the numbers on how much Javanka reaped from the tax "reform" and compare it with their own modest if any positive change. I think they are paranoid enough to respond to a "you've been conned" message...

• wanderweg
    edited November 2019
    Options

https://youtu.be/ijD_WnhNnZs

This says it all about Republican hypocrisy.

• magiclight
    edited November 2019
    Options

ThumbsUpThumbsUp

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited November 2019
    Options

wander, loved the YouTube!! I was thrilled to hear that the Dems swept Virginia and are in power for 1st time in 27 yrs.

• magiclight
    edited November 2019
    Options

Juli Briskman, the woman who flipped off Trump, lost her government job but now has won a county supervisor seat in the same county as Trump's golf course. Oh! 'sweet justice'.

• santabarbarian
    edited November 2019
    Options

Fantastic!!

• wanderweg
    edited November 2019
    Options

Santab - And won the governorship in Kentucky, too! In our little local elections, the progressive mayoral candidate won over the conservative. I was at her watch party - so stoked about her win! I'm hoping against hope the tide is turning.

magiclight - That's some sweet good karma right there!

• WorryThePooh
    edited November 2019
    Options

Hi all! Back after some time away, had a nasty bout of bronchitis then recovered enough for us to have our road trip. Driving back to Sydney we came very close to bushfires which was absolutely terrifying. These bushfires have now killed three people, and still burning out of control on the mid North Coast of NSW. Today is predicted to be catastrophic due to the heat and wind, hoping it won't be!!

• jwoo
    jwoo Member Posts: 931
    edited November 2019
    Options

🗣what an amazing day in the hearing! AND the Texas parole board unanimously voted for a stay of execution for Rodney Reed! (I f you are not familiar with his case, please check it out.)

• wanderweg
    edited November 2019
    Options

JWoo - I am so hopeful that the Dotard will be impeached, but sometimes I despair of that ever happening. I will look up that case, but personally, I'd like to see the death penalty abolished. It's primitive.

• santabarbarian
    edited November 2019
    Options

I am against the death penalty as well. Barbaric.

• magiclight
    edited November 2019
    Options

"The American Civil Liberties Union believes the death penalty inherently violates the constitutional ban against cruel and unusual punishment and the guarantees of due process of law and of equal protection under the law. Furthermore, we believe that the state should not give itself the right to kill human beings – especially when it kills with premeditation and ceremony, in the name of the law or in the name of its people, and when it does so in an arbitrary and discriminatory fashion"

• santabarbarian
    edited November 2019
    Options

wrenn my brother was murdered, and I agree with you 100%.

• miriandra
    edited November 2019
    Options

Wrenn and SB, I'm so sorry for your losses. A friend of mine was murdered by a hitman (his life cost all of $2000), but that's the closest I've ever been to that flavor of evil. I hope you've found peace and closure after going through something like that.

(((((Hugs)))))

• wanderweg
    edited November 2019
    Options

wrenn and Santabarbarian - my deepest condolences for our losses. And I agree with both of you that retribution murder by the state is not the answer. As humans, we should be better than that

• santabarbarian
    edited November 2019
    Options

I kept thinking how the person who killed my brother might have a sister and how the death penalty would be putting her through the same loss... no good is done, with retribution.

• WorryThePooh
    edited November 2019
    Options

santabarbarian, very sorry to hear what happened to your brother, I think that is a good way to think, and would take great strength of character from you to see things that way.