Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

A place for progressive atheists.

Options

Comments

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited January 2020
    Options

ananda, love that quote!

• ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    edited January 2020
    Options

Time to call your Senator and tell them Americans want to hear witnesses and have documents produced.

Call 202-224-3121.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,867
    edited January 2020
    Options

My son posted this on Facebook:

Trump could murder someone on the floor of the senate and he would be acquitted 53-47.

Unless he murdered a republican, then the vote would be 52-47.

• ananda8
    edited January 2020
    Options

Call anyway. I called my very Republican Senator, John Boozman. No, I didn't waste my time calling the PTSD burdened and general crazy person, Tom Cotton.

Calls do work.

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,055
    edited January 2020
    Options

Brilliant!!! xD

"Trump could murder someone on the floor of the senate and he would be acquitted 53-47.

Unless he murdered a republican, then the vote would be 52-47."

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,166
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thanks for the link Ananda -- now this is in my favorites. I may be even too wild and wooly to post here but I will say this. My cancer dx. changed me. I was a pretty quiet person where politics was concerned then. I had may of the same thoughts, but so as to 'allow' others to have their feelings I seldom 'discussed' politics. After retirement when my extended family ( mainly Dh's side ) starting cramming their Republicanism on quite often me, and seeming to expect me to thank them for it and go their way, I figured for what I had been thru I just wasn't going to allow anyone to do to me what I had always been un-willing to do to them.

Dh and I finally made the rule that if they wanted to talk politics don't invite us over -- you can't change us, and you people think you are far to smart to need change. In this area we have almost nothing in common. This has worked for several yrs. now. DISCLAIMER for anyone thinking it might work for them. I am roughly the only female left to cook for these men so I do have a built in bonus for getting my way.

Thanks again Ananda and as well MinusTwo for letting me know that I had 'likely' posted somewhere I didn't mean too.

• ananda8
    edited February 2020
    Options

Welcome. :)

• illinoislady
    edited February 2020
    Options

Going to Marion V.A. today. Hope you all have a good day. Wishing sun and nice weather. Wish the sun were out here but rain ( a lot ) last night.

• illinoislady
    edited February 2020
    Options

I believe that all people's lives will be filled with constant, unexpected encouragements. . . if they make up their minds to do their level best each day of their lives—that is, try to make each day reach as nearly as possible the high water mark of pure, unselfish, useful living. - Booker T. Washington

• illinoislady
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hard to watch what Trump and Barr are up to. I can't imagine they will get away with it. The sentencing judge, Amy Berman Jackson will make the decision on sentence. Just wow. Is there another impeachment coming -- for Barr?

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    edited February 2020
    Options

Time to occupy Washington. I have my sign, as BC survivor: "Ask me how to get rid of a diseased boob."

• illinoislady
    edited February 2020
    Options

Happy

• illinoislady
    edited February 2020
    Options

It is always ( especially with the orange one ) a good time to be vigilant and never miss an opportunity to call your representatives to protest the WH, Barr and Reps. who refuse to do their jobs.

• miriandra
    edited February 2020
    Options

LOL!! I love your sign, santabarbarian!

• illinoislady
    edited February 2020
    Options

Listen to your life. See it for the fathomless mystery that it is. In the boredom and pain of it no less than in the excitement and gladness: touch, taste, smell your way to the holy and hidden heart of it, because in the last analysis all moments are key moments, and life itself is grace.

Frederick Buechner

• wanderweg
    wanderweg Member Posts: 487
    edited February 2020
    Options

IllinoisLady, that's beautiful.

• illinoislady
    edited February 2020
    Options

Coming to appreciate your worth can, in some cases, dramatically improve your circumstances by changing the choices you make and the actions you take.

And as you begin to treat yourself with more respect, other people begin to do the same, since we subconsciously "train" others how to treat us through messages we send through body language, tone of voice, and other subtle cues and behaviors.

Discovering your innate worth and living from that place allows you to make more constructive choices--to choose the higher roads of life.

Dan Millman
  • magiclight
    magiclight Member Posts: 6,656
    edited August 2020
    Options

Who gets to discover their innate worth? Clearly, not migrant children. Note the words "mandatory therapy" From today's Washington Post:

"To bolster its policy of stepped up enforcement, the administration is requiring that notes taken during mandatory therapy sessions with immigrant children be passed onto ICE, which can then use those reports against minors in court. Intimate confessions, early traumas, half-remembered nightmares — all have been turned into prosecutorial weapons, often without the consent of the therapists involved, and always without the consent of the minors themselves, in hearings where the stakes can be life and death."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/natio...

• illinoislady
    edited February 2020
    Options

I think that is called screw**g you any way we can. Then again, looking at the source leaves such little room for surprise. Drumph and co., have terrorized so many people and why not -- the WH has managed to get away with so much -- even an impeachment. I do think though that at some point those who wish to dance will have to pay the fiddler, otherwise known as an election. Right now it seems to be there are a lot more people ( between the machinations of Trump and Barr ) who are fed up, tired of the chaos and VERY tired of the disgusting and criminal things that are going on, that I hope by election time there will be a much bigger blue wave than 2018. Hope I'm not wrong.

• ananda8
    edited February 2020
    Options

There is an 8.8% difference between Trump's disapproval rating and his approval rating. That gap has be narrowing since the impeachment. There used to be a 12.5% difference. With voter suppression in Republican controlled states, that disapproval gap becomes even narrower. Right now, I think things are a toss up. I am worried. We need a massive voter turnout.

• illinoislady
    edited February 2020
    Options

Image may contain: 1 person, possible text that says 'Trump says his life was better before he became president. I understand. My life was also better before he became president CALL TO ACTIVISM'

Yes and that means we have to vote -- all of us, and to encourage everyone we know to vote, and if there is someone who needs a ride to go vote, offer to take them. It is so important.

• T-Dahl
    T-Dahl Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thank you ladies for this thread! I woke up this morning thinking about everything this thread speaks to! I have very similar feelings about the state of affairs in our nation. It’s hard for me to talk about things I don’t like/want because I believe in attraction & drawing things into your experience. So rather than bashing what we have (although I think the cheese doodle in office is a joke!)

I try and focus on what is going to bring the people of our country back together and what we all need to focus on going forward rather than just constantly rehashing every stupid thing that happens. I read every comment on here & agree with y’all. I am saving this to my favorites & will continue to be a supporter!! ✊🏽✌🏽

• illinoislady
    edited February 2020
    Options

Your best shot at happiness, self-worth, and personal satisfaction—the things that constitute real success—is not in earning as much as you can but in performing as well as you can something that you consider worthwhile. Whether that is healing the sick, giving hope to the hopeless, adding to the beauty of the world, or saving the world from nuclear holocaust, I cannot tell you. - William Raspberry

• magiclight
    magiclight Member Posts: 6,656
    edited February 2020
    Options

Illinois...I went back to read some to William Raspberry's columns from the WPost and found them pertinent today. Unfortunately, the potential political disasters of the current administration never really went kablooey and the Drumpt parade of characters, led by the moronic president are accepted by too many Americans, as being OK. I'm looking forward to spring so I can get out in my yard and work in earth's life giving dirt rather than the crushing, mind bending acceptance of the everyday political dirt coming out of the white house.

Here is the poem I discovered as my mind wandered into the idea of good dirt: Ode to DIrt by Sharon Olds

https://sharedwonder.wordpress.com/2015/10/31/ode-...

• illinoislady
    edited February 2020
    Options

magiclight, what a beautiful poem and very refreshing as well as relaxing. It speaks and I'm sure after reading some of your posts you'll know exactly what I mean. Here is one of my favorite quotes:

We plant seeds that will flower as results in our lives, so best to remove the weeds of anger, avarice, envy and doubt, that peace and abundance may manifest for all.

Dorothy Day

Quotes are my way of trying to cope with the chaotic barrage of a daily Trump who is always destructive rather than the other way. There are times when I want to give up yet knowing I've so seldom given up on anything. As a person of the universe I feel like I have to go on as best one can because for me what goes wrong, if given time can reverse to go right. There are in everything opposites and what is bad can revert to good. So, I try to keep in mind pictures not of losses ( we have plenty of those right now ) but gains and things finding the light and the path to go right. Always keeping the picture of coming out from a dark tunnel into light.

Just my opinion, but I am starting to feel that there 'could' be many Reps. people who no longer favor Trump. As he does destructive things he is including his own party -- and sadly doesn't give a whit or a whistle. Many who had thought making such a drastic change would be the thing have since found their hopes dashed aside. They are not Senators or government people, they are just ordinary people trying to get along who know when they have been done wrong and left by the way to manage on their own. Only time will tell.

• ananda8
    edited February 2020
    Options

magiclight, Lovely poem. I, too, am looking forward to Spring.

• illinoislady
    edited February 2020
    Options

from a friend on another thread.

I'm Not The Radical Left, I'm The Humane Middle

September 26, 2019 / John Pavlovitz

Apparently, I've been radicalized and I wasn't aware.

Certain people call me the "radical Left" all the time.

I never considered myself radical before.
    I just thought I was normal, ordinary, usual.
    I thought equity was important to everyone.
    I imagined America was filled with people who took that Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Happiness stuff seriously—for all people.
    I thought the Golden Rule was actually mainstream.

Recently I took an inventory of my positions, screening for the extremism:

I believe in full LGBTQ rights.
    I believe we should protect the planet.
    I believe everyone deserves healthcare.
    I believe all religions are equally valid.
    I believe the world is bigger than America.
    I believe to be "pro-life," means to treasure all of it.
    I believe whiteness isn't superior and it is not the baseline of humanity.
    I believe we are all one interdependent community.
    I believe people and places are made better by diversity.
    I believe people shouldn't be forced to abide by anyone else's religion.
    I believe non-American human beings have as much value as American ones.
    I believe generosity is greater than greed, compassion better than contempt, and kindness superior to derision.
    I believe there is enough in this world for everyone: enough food, enough money, enough room, enough care—if we unleash our creativity and unclench our fists.

I'm not sure how these ideas became radical, though it seems to have happened in the last few years.
    I grew up being taught they were just part of being a decent human being.
    I grew up believing that loving my neighbor as myself, meant that I actually worked for their welfare as much as my own.
    I was taught that caring for the least in the world, was the measure of my devotion to God.
    I thought that inalienable rights of other people were supposed to be a priority as a decent participant in the world.

I don't think I'm alone.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that most people reside here in this place alongside me: the desire for compassion and diversity and equality and justice; that these things aren't fringe ideologies or extremist positions—but simply the best way to be human.

I think most people want more humanity, not less.

I think the vast middle is exhausted by the cruelty of these days.

That these aspirations seem radical to some people, is probably an alarm that they've moved so far into the extremes of their fortified ideological bunkers and been so poisoned by the propaganda, that normal now seems excessive, that equality now seems oppressive, that goodness feels reckless.

Maybe the problem is, these people are so filled with fear for those who are different, so conditioned to be at war with the world, so indoctrinated into a white nationalistic religion of malice—that they've lost sight of what being a human being looks like anymore.

I am pretty sure that I don't represent the "radical Left," but the vast, disparate, compassionate, humane Middle; people who are not threatened by someone else's presence, who do not see another person's gain as their loss, who don't worship a Caucasian, American god.

I suppose humanity feels radical to inhumane people.

In that case, I'll gladly be here in my extremism.

• illinoislady
    edited February 2020
    Options

Image may contain: one or more people, possible text that says 'Here's the thing... Bernie has flaws. Elizabeth has flaws. Pete has flaws. Amy has flaws. Joe has flaws. Tom has flaws. Michael has flaws. But, none of them include being vile, treasonous, corrupt demagogue with total disdain for human suffering and utter contempt for the rule of law.'

• miriandra
    edited February 2020
    Options

I used to be an ardent NPR listener, but I haven't been able to tune in for the last 2 years. Just hearing that obscene fraud's voice sends me into triggers. Thank goodness for John Oliver, Samantha Bee, Trevor Noah, and the rest of John Stewart's proteges for giving us a lens of humor to deal with the reprehensible state of our union.

This Last Week Tonight episode is relevant to our membership, especially if any of us have had to prioritize which medical condition we can afford to get help for first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z2XRg3dy9k