Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

A place for progressive atheists.

Options

Comments

• ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    edited December 2019
    Options

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited December 2019
    Options

• magiclight
    magiclight Member Posts: 6,656
    edited December 2019
    Options
  • trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    edited December 2019
    Options

Love them all. Happy Solstice.

Trish

• laureninphx
    laureninphx Member Posts: 138
    edited December 2019
    Options

Agreed with Klobuchar, Ananda. I've always liked her and hope she has a chance now. Time will tell, but I fear we'll lose with anyone but Biden at this point. Hopefully, she makes a strong push for the finish line. 

• trishyla
    edited December 2019
    Options

Klobuchar is the real deal. Considered to be one of the nicest people in Washington, she still manages to get a lot done. Everyone likes her. Not many people in Congress can say that.

If she can't be the candidate, she'd make a hell of a VP.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    edited December 2019
    Options

Apparently, however, a big bitch to work for.... not perfect but I still believe she's good faith, means well and can get things done. She was tough against Kavanaugh.

• ananda8
    edited December 2019
    Options

60 of her staffers signed a letter of support after the two people complained. I was turned in after the incompetence of one of my staff complained about me slamming a file drawer and saying fuck. It didn't go anywhere because the people who complained (I didn't swear at them, I just swore) were difficult to deal with and didn't do their jobs. Even the best bosses lose their tempers when faced with overwhelming incompetence. If that's what happened to Klobuchar, I totally understand.

• laureninphx
    edited December 2019
    Options

Hello fellow heathens! Holiday tip: Havea safe word ready for when the conversation gets too heated about politics or religion. I just yell out “SPAGHETTI!!” and my dad knows it’s time to zip it. It breaks the tension in a light way but works like a charm.

Of course, you could always not say it and teach people a thing or two, but if you want an out, it works for me.

Happy HEALTHY Holidays!

• trishyla
    edited December 2019
    Options

Good idea, Lauren. Could have used that tactic about 15 years ago. I actually got my husband disinherited for two years because I said (not long after hurricane Katrina)that the Shrub might not be the best president we'd ever had. My extremely conservative FIL took umbrage and basically called me a moron. My husband got involved and, well, it escalated quickly from there.

Sadly, my FIL has just entered hospice. This will be his last Christmas. I want to make sure my husband and daughter to spend as much stress free, loving time with him as possible. So we will not be discussing politics or religion at all. That's kind of been the policy since my husband was added back into the will. It makes the holidays much easier.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday, no matter what you choose to celebrate.

Trish

• magiclight
    edited January 2020
    Options

Here we go again - with the God is on our side nonsense. Seems like every side that believes in some kind of a god, believes they (not sure which pronoun to use when talking about a god) are on the side of the people invoking their name. Whatever the reference, the one certainty is that civilians who did not want a war will die.

NYTimes today --- "In his first public appearance since the strike that killed Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani of Iran, President Trump rallied his evangelical Christian base of supporters on Friday, portraying himself as the restorer of faith in the public square and claiming that God is "on our side."

• trishyla
    edited January 2020
    Options

Trump and the Evangelicals would be comical if it weren't so damned dangerous. Every time they get involved in our government they start another unnecessary freaking war.

I have honestly come to despise everything related to religion, especially "born again" christians. They are some of the most horrible, judgemental, hypocritical people I've ever met. Can't say I'd be upset if they had their "rapture" and all disappeared. And took all other orthodox religious zealots with them. What a peaceful world this would be.

Here's hoping.

Trish

• laureninphx
    edited January 2020
    Options

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes to your post Trish.

• santabarbarian
    edited January 2020
    Options

So true! Think of the rapture we'd feel, to have all of them gone!

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,055
    edited January 2020
    Options

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited January 2020
    Options

👍👍👍

• magiclight
    edited January 2020
    Options

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,869
    edited January 2020
    Options

They are such prudes. Why wouldn't they be taken up wearing those clothes? Some sort of immediate transformation? Maybe only their souls will be taken in the rapture and we'll have a bunch of dead bodies to deal with. Awful thought, isn't it?

• magiclight
    edited January 2020
    Options

Maybe the following is why Americans rely on "God ": When the health care system is so very broken, it might seem logical to rely on a magic mister from above. In countries where health care is a right it makes sense to thank the system.

Washington Post: 1/7/20

Despite paying $8,000 more a year than anyone else, American families do not have better health outcomes, the economists argue. Life expectancy in the United States is lower than in Europe.

"We can brag we have the most expensive health care. We can also now brag that it delivers the worst health of any rich country," Case said.

• magiclight
    edited January 2020
    Options

I've copied this from a ChiSandy post -

Pompeo is an ultra-Evangelical, and therefore a Revelationist. Pence is Catholic (though not Opus Dei like Justice Thomas), thus not a believer in the Rapture. He is, however, a "Dominionist," who believes that Christianity is the national religion, and that the Establishment Clause of the 1st Amendment is actually unconstitutional because it violates the Free Exercise Clause--i.e., that Fed, gov't regulations against discrimination violate the rights of those whose religions have racist or sexist biases as tenets. Dominionism crosses denominational lines--it includes both Catholics and Protestants (usually Evangelical and Fundamentalist).

I had to look up Dominionist -holy crapolie - a new word for my vocabulary and for further understanding of the problem with our current supreme court and the presidential sphere of influence.

• santabarbarian
    edited January 2020
    Options

Lets not forget Barr....

• ananda8
    edited January 2020
    Options

This is a very long article on the United Arab Emirates and how that country is trying to reshape the Middle East. It is the first truly long article that I have read start to finish in over a year. I learned a great deal about UAE, the Middle East, and both the Obama and Trump administrations. I recommend it to anyone who has the time. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/09/magazine/united...

• magiclight
    edited January 2020
    Options

Did Mcconnell swear to God to be impartial and then admit to being exactly the opposite? Guess the 'so help me god" is an empty slogan. Maybe in reality those Republican Senators are closet atheists who know that being so would not get them elected. At least when I take an oath, I omit the so help me god bit.

• magiclight
    edited January 2020
    Options

OOPS, did not mean to delete the above:

Did Mcconnell swear to God to be impartial and then admit to being exactly the opposite? Guess the 'so help me god" is an empty slogan. Maybe in reality those Republican Senators are closet atheists who know that being so would not get them elected. At least when I take an oath, I omit the so help me god bit.

• laureninphx
    edited January 2020
    Options

Candidate Quiz

Interesting results. Bloomberg, Biden, Klobuchar top three.

Tulsi, Warren, and Bernie dead last.

I do like Klobuchar. I don't think she's got a snowball's chance, but I do think she could win. 

• magiclight
    edited January 2020
    Options

My favorite from today's women's rally.

• ananda8
    edited January 2020
    Options

I like Klobuchar. I would love to see Trump try to walk behind her in a debate like he did with Clinton. Klobuchar would clock him.

• laureninphx
    edited January 2020
    Options

omg that was so creepy when he did that. And yes. She would clock him and smile the whole time haha.

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited January 2020
    Options

santabarbar, LOVE that positive affirmation!! Sent it to DH and DB. They will also love it.

Happy MLK day! I wonder what he would be saying about our current political and social climate. I know it’s weird to be posting this on this thread, but I have always viewed MLK from his activist persona than religious perspective.

• ananda8
    edited January 2020
    Options

In honor of the day:
    Cowardice asks the question - is it safe?
    Expediency asks the question - is it politic?
    Vanity asks the question - is it popular?...
    But conscience asks the question - is it right?
    And there comes a time when one must take a position
    that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular;
    but one must take it BECAUSE it is right.
    - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.