Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting radiation March 2020

Options

Comments

• HeartShapedBox
    HeartShapedBox Member Posts: 117
    Options

Hi JLB, im in EUG! Sorry you're back under the beam. Haven't heard of the green tea but that makes sense, as it's antioxidant (which in high doses internally counteracts radiation so not recommended, but it seems ROs think a cup or two is fine), and tea is tannic/ astringent, which I think would be good for toning skin at risk of moist desquamation)

• Sykes20104
    Sykes20104 Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hi, just had my second session today, I was super tired last night. Not sure if it’s a side effect already or if I just had a tough day yesterday.

Also my chest is uncomfortable. Kind of like I have something stuck in my lower throat. Anyone else have this or experience this. Just trying to figure out if I’m experiencing side effects already or if I have something else going on🤪

hope everyone is doing well with their treatment plans. This is definitely one crazy journey

• HeartShapedBox
    Options

Skyes I'm wondering the same thing, but with different SEs (lots of painful nervy "zingers" in my chest which is new, with itching and a kind of bruise-like sensitivity to the area that amps up esp in the evening a few hours after each treatment). It's hard to know what's a coincidence (or psychosomatic), since everyone says it should be a good week or two before SEs show up. It may just be rubbing lotions on daily is irritating my regrowing nerves.

Wishing everyone a smooth month with minimal side effects!

• Spoonie77
    Spoonie77 Member Posts: 532
    Options

Sykes & HeartShapedBox, just wanted to pop in and say that I had SEs from RADs on Day 1. (heaviness in L breast, brief pinkness, nausea, and in general breast aching for a few hours) While things can be psychosomatic, they can also be very physically real. Remember everyone and their skin is VERY unique. With this in mind pls do keep your team in the loop. They can help stave off problems ahead of time if they know that perhaps you may be one of the unicorns, like me, that had SEs from the beginning. I sure hope you will both sail as smoothly as possible through the next few weeks! Rest and be kind to yourselves. <3

• JLBinPDX
    JLBinPDX Member Posts: 71
    Options

Nice to be here with supportive people. I have to say that today I've turned 60! I'm not sure what's got me down more--breast cancer, an adult daughter who's a grave challenge at times, waiting around for oncotype to see if chemo is suggested, radiation coming up, or accepting that I'm 60! Take your pick, I suppose. I've had such a good attitude about this journey since everything about this stint is better than in 2017 with and a family challenge that would rival any of us even without breast cancer. But today feels like a lot; tomorrow I'll forget that I'm now in my 60s and go back to denial, but today it's my birthday and there's no denial possible. I took advantage of my $1,000 insurance coverage for massage and had a massage with an oncology massage therapist. Then four hours at the woodshop as I found woodworking after my last breast cancer bout (hmmm, I wonder what blessing will come from this one, this time). Just wanting to vent. Things aren't too bad, just a little down. BUT, there's hope. A bubble bath, a good glass of wine, a very cute and sexy man who's bringing me Thai food, and topped off with German chocolate cake (and perhaps a little more). Okay, no more whining--that's a pretty GREAT evening plan. Then tomorrow is my rads mapping (but I've been through radiation before and it's tolerable, really tolerable).

• momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Member Posts: 18
    Options

I just had my first Radiation Treatment today, March 11. It is 6 1/2 weeks after double mastectomy. I will have 33 proton thertreatments to my chest wall, axillary and supraclavicular nodes.

I have been lotioning for the last week to prepare. My RO told me to use triamclinodone and green tea. I hope that it works!

• sashimi1973
    sashimi1973 Member Posts: 8
    Options

momof2winsplus I am also having 33 rounds after a double mastectomy, chest wall and nodes. I don't start until the 24th. Best of luck for low SEs. Best of luck to all!

• momof2winsplus
    Options

I was told to make a green tea concentrate by steeping 5-6 natural green teas bags in 8 oz of water. Refrigerate and then periodically apply either with a spray bottle or cotton ball. Apply before any creams.

Hope this helps

• ziggzmom
    ziggzmom Member Posts: 10
    Options

JLBinPDX ~ A belated Happy Birthday!!! I hope it was as amazing as it could be...and with wine and all the rest (especially the sexy man bringing you food...swoon!) it sounds pretty darn good!

• JLBinPDX
    Options

Thanks, ziggzmom. It WAS good--all aspects of it (except for the adult daughter that totally forgot my birthday). But the hot, younger, sexy man bringing Thai food made up for that.

momof2winsp, I think I now remember brewing the really strong tea every other day. I then put six or eight of the square, flat cotton pads in a small ziploc for a two-day supply (or maybe divide them out by day). I think used them immediately after radiation (literally when getting dressed), then another couple times/day. I just bought this from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074J7QCCC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). momof2winsp, if you have any different information or a better way to do this, can you let me know (I have mapping today so I'll start next week or the following). Do you also use lotion with the green tea pads?

• moxie32
    moxie32 Member Posts: 51
    Options

Still waiting for my start date.

I am wondering what happens if someone comes down with COVD during radiation?

• HeartShapedBox
    Options

Happy bday JLB! A massage, woodworking, bath, wine, dinner with a sexy partner... - sounds like you're making the most of it despite it all! 😆 You're only as old as you act (& feel, and post-chemo joint pain has me feeling about 80 lately).

My RO thumbs-down'd prophylactic use of mepitel film, hadn't heard of it and didn't want to hear about it 🙄 I did mention my potential early SEs but she was equally dismissive of those. As usual, I'm having to proactively research and manage SEs solo, but I'm definitely trying the green tea! I'm getting half my 4 daily beams (Hits? Zaps? Blasts? What is everyone calling them?) with a bolus, which is designed to boost/ maximize effect at the skin surface, so I'm nervous to say the least.

• moxie32
    Options

Happy belated birthday JLB! I turned 60 last month. Not sure how I feel about being a “senior” - more discounts I suppose

• AZNative2020
    AZNative2020 Member Posts: 18
    Options

Hello All, I am in the Radiation February 2020 group, but thought I'd pop in here to see how everyone is doing and share my experience.

Happy Birthday JLB. I hear 60 is the new 40. Nice that you can guide the newbies since you've been through this before. Good luck on a good outcome this time as well.

Happy Birthday to you too, Moxie.

I just finished #21 of 30 (last five will be boosts to my scar- on the top of my aerola.) My planning session was 1/28 and I started on 2/13. My husband and I took a quick trip to NYC with my daughter and sister the weekend before rads started- 6 weeks is a long time.

My skin is holding up very well. I started moisturizing two weeks prior. I use real aloe (from my plants- cut them, let them stand in a jar to let the resin out- then we scoop out the "meat" and use our blendtec to pulverize it. I had been using my food processor, but the Blendtec works must better. Slather that on right after rads then wait for that to dry then I put on Boirin Calendula Gel (I got from Amazon) At night, I slather on Aquaphor before bed.. I use a very mild soap in the mornings so there's no remnants before my 9:20 appt. I am self employed so I can repeat the aloe and gel throughout the day. 6-8 times.

I am drinking over a gallon of water a day, I am juicing and I've upped my protein. I walk about an hour after I get home 2 1/2 miles and do mild stretching.

The first two weeks, I was exhausted, this past week, it hasn't been as bad, but my skin is feeling tighter. I do have to take a rest almost everyday. I did go direct to implants at my surgery- PS put me on Singulair to help radiation effects on implant. Anyone else go direct to implants?

The end for me is in sight and I am doing OK.

I was more nervous for radiation than surgery and I'm still scared about the long term side effects.

Wishing you all the best.

• flowerkid
    flowerkid Member Posts: 83
    Options

Happy belated JLB! Sounds like it turned out mostly nice...a lot on the plate

Someone asked about length of radiation visits. I have had 4 and they have been super quick - about 20 min!

Tomorrow I meet with the doctor. Will mention minor issues , dry mouth (?) And feeling slightly tighter.

Everyone seems to use several different creams. So far I have only used the one kind from the doctor.

Az20 - thanks for reminder about eating more protein. A little hard since I don't eat chicken or beef, but still doable

• moxie32
    Options

Thanks AZNative - very helpful!

• moxie32
    Options

Starting March 19.

Anyone who gets COVID 19 will stop treatment and resume once better.

• moxie32
    Options

Starting March 19.

Anyone who gets COVID 19 will stop treatment and resume once better.

• momof2winsplus
    Options

JLB - I put the green tea into a spray bottle and just spray it on throughout the day. I let it air dry. Very easy! I just hope it works. RAD3 of 33 done.

• Sykes20104
    Sykes20104 Member Posts: 6
    Options

Thanks Spoonie77

Thanks for your insight! Now I don’t feel so crazy for feeling those things those days. My “odd symptoms” have eased, and now it’s just the normal expected symptoms, just a lot earlier than I our my Radiation team expected, so we are keeping a close eye on things, and ready to curb whatever that needs to be prevented.

Has anyone been told they are considered high risk because of their treatment? I only have to do radiation and don’t consider myself high risk, I’ve had mixed answers from healthcare members, so I’m confused.

Hope everyone is doing well!
    Stay safe, it’s crazy out there!

• mariadelpilar
    mariadelpilar Member Posts: 37
    Options

hi, like you I had two tumors on the same breast. A 19mm grade 1, and a 6mm grade 2. My dr. Called them two primary cancers and said I wasn’t eligible for onco type testing because I had two primary cancers. Your dr. Did the test on both or just one of your tumors?

Thank you.

• JLBinPDX
    Options

Mariadelpil…, I'm curious why you wouldn't be eligible to oncotype testing. I had a new primary, small at 1.1 mm and stage 1, grade 2 so the stats put me in the iffy category for oncotype. But wouldn't anyone always be eligible? Can you say more about that. My oncologist was 50/50 to have it done as was I. We chose to and I'm waiting on the results.

• tinkerbell107
    tinkerbell107 Member Posts: 289
    Options

Has anyone used an electric shaver to the treated arm? starting to have some stubble/hair growth. Not sure if I should let it go or shave since I only had 5 sessions. No irritation to that area yet... Pamphlet said I can use electric shave but not sure if it is a good idea.

Appreciate responses asap, for my next treatment is not until Monday. thanks in advance

• JLBinPDX
    Options

I shaved with just a hand razor every day for five weeks during radiation. I've never heard differently that it's any issue. I think you're fine.

• HeartShapedBox
    Options

Tinkerbell I'm letting mine go- it doesn't interfere with radiation at all, and i was told by my PT not to use a regular razor (but that's because my armpit is still numb, and i have some lymphedema there as well)

• tinkerbell107
    tinkerbell107 Member Posts: 289
    Options

thanks for the responses. So it sounds like it is up to me. I’m not sure what to do but glad to know I can shave if needed.

• Spoonie77
    Spoonie77 Member Posts: 532
    Options

Prior to starting RADs I had decided not to shave during treatment time. Then I was also told by RO since my armpit was specifically part of tx area that it would be best not to shave to avoid irritation or possible infection. Think it depends on the team and the tx plan mostly. Good luck Tinkerbell.

Silver lining though is that haven't had to shave my Left armpit since RADs, stil hasn't grown back. It's been 18 months since it ended so I think it's either not going to or maybe in a year or so. I'm not complaining. :)

• momof2winsplus
    Options

Just had my 4th RADs but I have noticed that I am getting more and more pain in my Right armpit (18 nodes removed). I had healed from DMX 7 weeks ago, and was not feeling much discomfort. Now, each day feels worse. Do you think it could be the rads, or maybe from over-stretching my arms overhead? I am going to ask tomorrow.

• HeartShapedBox
    Options

Momof2 it could even be both. My armpit was strained from the positioning initially but now after lots of stretching I'm used to it. I just completed my 7th, and I'm definitely having more discomfort in general, the tissue is tight and irritated where my shirt rubs it or where my armpit rubs. Like a mild sunburn. I'm starting to pink up, I can see the edges of the radiation field now, and the lymphedema in my armpit is a little worse with a puffy area that now folds over.

• momof2winsplus
    Options

My clavicle is pink at night, it is gone in the morning.

I tried to get aloe, and all the stores are out. People are buying it all up to make hand sanitizer! Any ideas where to get an aloeplant in Winter?