Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting radiation March 2020

Options

Comments

• martaj
    martaj Member Posts: 307
    Options

Off to 12/30 shortly. I have to wait in car and they telephone when to come in. They all wear masks and gloves. No one allowed in waiting room, and no visitors or if someone brings they wait in car

• moxie32
    moxie32 Member Posts: 51
    Options

Flowerkid - I wear the mask I made on the table but I have no devices on me. I just turn my head.

Havefaith - Just a tiny bit sore and barely noticeable pink after 8 days. I expect it will increase this week.

• HeartShapedBox
    HeartShapedBox Member Posts: 117
    Options
    • Flowerkid at my clinic you HAVE to wear a mask if you have any symptoms, even mild (my techs all wear them too, but only recently, your clinic may be too low on masks for this and saving them for patients). I had a low grade fever last week (99.3) and they masked me at the entrance, and I wore it the entire time I was there (including during actual treatment) I don't wear any kind of mouth guard tho- they do have me turn my head up and sharply to the side, to get my trachea out of the way of radiation scatter or something.
  • striveforhealth
    striveforhealth Member Posts: 59
    Options

So nice to hear about everyone's experience. Thanks so much for sharing ladies.

• Eigna
    Eigna Member Posts: 256
    Options

Hello. I finished today treatment no 1. 19 left to do. I found it long. My treatment was at 4pm and feeling the fatigue already. Is this normal?

• jrnj
    jrnj Member Posts: 407
    Options

My facility did not check temp. Everyone wearing masks. I wore a mask. One nurse asked me to remove the mask so I could breathe better. I said "do you clean that equipment hanging 2 feet over my face between each patient?" Other nurse said "um, yes, um, just wear your mask" I said "the other nurse just told me not to, but I'm wearing it." Other nurse said "make a note so the dr. doesn't get mad at me". So tired of stupid issues like this. I think they are cleaning the bed you lay on, but not the equipment that circles around you. I had no issues wearing the mask. Radiation was pretty easy, but I'm having some sort of rebound effects from chemo. I have neuropathy and pain in my hand and arm at night which is keeping me up and aches and pains throughout my body that I didn't have during chemo. I'm afraid radiation will make it worse. And today after radiation my throat feels swollen and I have a headache and slight nausea. Won't be the cake walk I hoped for. Is a swollen throat common? And worst of all, I got really pissed when they weighed me! I'm like, the scale is wrong! I've gained a ton of weight, lol!

Eigna, Glad they didn't make you wait too long!

Have faith, I'm having 28 regular and 7 boost. Beginning to think they are really frying me. Only thing I'm glad about is more time off of work!

• HeartShapedBox
    Options

Well, apparently the changes I made are working SO well that my RO decided to just keep using the bolus, since my skin "looks far better than most people's at this stage". That's great news considering how red and painful I got right away, i worried I'd fare far worse. My techs even noticed the difference and asked what I was using, so I guess I'll stick with it! I am getting increased fatigue in the evenings now.

I did "boost planning" today after treatment. They fit a different extension head onto the radiation machine, it has a thick metal block with a cutout of my scar line. For my last 5 treatments, the boosts will still give 2 grays of radiation each day, but will condense it to just that small field of scar. My tech also said instead of the photon radiation I've been getting (X-ray "light" beams that penetrate deeply), the boosts will be electron radiation ("particle" beams that only go shallowly).

• havefaithtoday
    havefaithtoday Member Posts: 88
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I had 7 of 20 done today. Just started getting a little pink. I'm hoping the Miaderm cream 3 times a day will keep it from getting too bad. I also had my boost CT planning today. I was pleased to learn that treatments 15 - 20 will only be to the tumor bed and will be more shallow and not involve the lungs. I'm still dealing with some lung issues from chemo & discussed it today with RO, I asked her if the radiation does any damage to the lungs or would exasperate things. She said a very small portion of the lungs get radiated and it will develop scar tissue, but that I wouldn't even notice...unless I was an 'Olympic runner...then I might notice a few seconds off my time'. But still....ughhhhh....one more thing to worry about. But I guess it will do no good to worry about that too. She reminded me why I'm doing this in the first place.

I'm still worried about being exposed to the virus, but everyone there is wearing a mask. I sit in my car until they call me. And I don't even change it to a robe, I just go straight into the radiation room, whip off my top (I haven't been wearing a bra there) and lay down on the table. I figure bypassing the locker/changing room is one less thing.

Healing prayers for you all. We've got this!!!

• martaj
    Options

Eing, the first treatment is the longest. after that very quick in and out

• HeartShapedBox
    Options

JRNJ do they have you turn your head to the side during treatment? They have me do so, as the beam can "scatter" off your chest to your throat and cause soreness, I was told. I've also had headaches and just a kind general "unwell" feeling after treatment, but then I usually feel better in the morning.

Havefaith I worry about lung damage too! It's crazy to me that they're so concerned with getting my heart out of the way, but lungs are just fair game. Mine are getting hit from multiple angles to get higher chest nodes (my treatment side upper back/ shoulder area is pink too), and I keep thinking about all that scar tissue forming on my lungs, ugh.

• elizapt
    elizapt Member Posts: 4
    Options

My tumor was only stage 1A, not aggressive, so the RO thought 16 would be enough. after today I will be half way done. Feeling so so sleepy but keeping at it!

• Eigna
    Eigna Member Posts: 256
    Options

Day 2 of 20 today. So far so good but still early. I started having some kind of pain on the inside of my elbow (don't know if I'm describing the location of the pain adequately). I'm wondering if it something related with post surgery side effect or that my treatments are not efficient. Anybody else has the same issue?

• mariadelpilar
    mariadelpilar Member Posts: 37
    Options

JRNJ,
    I had the exact diagnosis and I’m also getting 28 and 7 boosts. I too think that it is too much. I’ll ask him if five boosts would be as effective. Wonder what research says about boosts!!

• martaj
    Options

14/30 treatments completed. My clavicle area extremely red and itchy. Red to almost purple. I've been using the creams and steriod cream. To think I have 16 more treatments UGH. I'm sure this skin will blister and peel. See RO on Monday. Suggestions?

• baffledbutterfly7
    baffledbutterfly7 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Eigna - I had 7 of 25 today and have been feeling the fatigue, from the 1st one. Its pretty bad, but not sure if that is normal or not.

• jrnj
    Options

Heartshaped, They didn't tell me to turn my head Mon-Wed, but today they did. Go figure. And the nurse said my "sore" throat can't be from the radiation, it's too soon. I hate when they dismiss symptoms so readily, it always happens to me. Kidney stones don't cause diarrhea, but a huge 14 mm one did for me. Pains in your arm and side aren't from the cancer, but they went away after surgery. She's probably right on this one though, I feel a little better after taking Zofran and pepsid, so I think it might be residual effects from chemo. But it is making me really tired and have a slight headache again today.

I get hung up on certain things. The equipment is hanging over my head about 2 feet away, and I know they don't clean it between patients. When I went in they are like, the bed is still drying, but the equipment was dry as a bone. And they told me to remove my mask, but I didn't, so they are telling other people to remove their masks. The risk is probably low, but still annoying me that they lied about cleaning the equipment.

Mariadelpilar: They told me I'm getting very low radiation, so I won't complain unless I get side effects that seem severe. Ok for now, I just started.

Dr. gave me Vanicream.

• momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Member Posts: 18
    Options

I am halfway done! 17 of 33 complete.

I am at an Oncology Center, and the protocol this week is to call when I arrive and they tell me when to come in. Outside the door, we get all the questions, a squirt of sanitizer and a mask. Go straight in to change, go to radiation room, change and leave as soon as it is done.

• JLBinPDX
    JLBinPDX Member Posts: 71
    Options

JRNJ, so strange the differences in different hospitals, centers, etc. I thought the point of the mask was to LEAVE it on. We were given masks a week ago and wear it the entire time. As for the equipment, wouldn't you be better off just closing your eyes and taking a tiny nap? That's what works for me; you might try it--calming, relaxing, and not even long enough.

I had 11/15 today so feeling pretty great. I haven't had any fatigue and only today noticed slight redness mostly on the unradiated side from previous radiation for my 2017 breast cancer. The RO said that slight radiation spreads and the old radiated side "remembers." I think that's a strange term and something a little more medical-related should have been used, but I get her point. But overall, my boobs are in great shape after two weeks of radiation.

We did get a verbal and then written notice that someone had tested positive in the department. The way it was presented, it sounded as if it was a remote, distant person--which was later confirmed. There was just mention of staying confined for the full two weeks. It must've taken more than a week for that employee to get testing back because we were already within a couple days of the two weeks. Didn't worry me much as I've gotten better at not worrying about the future and things I can't control. I'm almost there and then I start Letrozole. I'm not at all happy about that as I've never taken medication for more than a couple weeks. I'm trying to just have an open mind and hope for no side effects.

Best to all -- Julie

• moxie32
    Options

Hang in there everyone! Still wearing my masks I made and leave them on.

Yesterday was 11 / 20 and saw a different RO bc mine was out. Asked about accelerating last 2 weeks bc my RO had mentioned it (due to pandemic). She said she didn’t think they would since I’m past halfway point but sent a message to my RO.

When she came in the room she stuck out her hand since I’d never met her - and like an idiot I shook it. So weird. I sanitized my hands as soon as she left the room

• jrnj
    Options

JLBinPDX, I know weird. I'm glad I wear glasses and I do close my eyes too. And at the door they Just ask a few questions like people wouldn't lie. My mo is taking temp at door and making me use hand sanitizer before I go in. That's scary that someone tested positive. my building is separate from the hospital so hopefully safer.

I'm not too scared of getting it, but a little scared. I went shopping for toilet paper this week and couldn't find any but Walmart had plenty of tissues lol. I wear my mask and wash my hands often. Huge outbreak in neighboring town up to 600 and 150 in my town.

Battled butterfly I have been very tired this week too. And still dealing with aches and pains from chemo withdrawal. Lost the drive to do anything, except shop for tp lol.

Moxie, hang in there, you can do it. You're being safe.

• HeartShapedBox
    Options

Moxie, wow! All the staff @ my clinic are forgoing handshakes or doing "elbow bumps" now. Im sure they sanitize, but gosh, that would make me nervous, just the lack of awareness or changing of habit! 😬 Glad you are protecting yourself!

My clinic seems to amp up protective moves every few days. Now everyone who enters (patients only are allowed) must get a mask if they don't have one already, and sanitize, keep distance, staff all in PPE.

I'm finally done with the bolus. My particle accelerator broke down on Friday, so I had to delay my shcedule by a day (dose #21 of 30 today). Still doing the things that seem to help and doing ok, but going into week 5 now I'm definitely fatigued in the evening and have more skin discoloration, esp on my back/ shoulder where I didn't realize I was having a beam aimed and hadn't been applying lotion or anything. (My RO said it's "not aimed at the surface" back there and is targeting upper chest lymph nodes from behind), but geez, woulda been nice to know I should be taking care of that area?

• martaj
    Options

Heartshaped, I'm 16/30, my chest is extremely red, esp clavicle region with blisters. What I didn't realize that the radiation beam exits through my back and my should and back now red. I didn't know about that. Thank god I know, thought I was having a trial med reaction. different potions and lotions. Just looking forward to when this is done. I do get tire.

• moxie32
    Options

So after having my temp taken every day last week, yesterday they didn’t.

We are supposed to wear masks now, and yesterday a couple that was sitting near me were not wearing masks and were coughing into their bare hands. Ugh.

I finish the 16 regular treatments on Thursday. Simulation for boosts on Friday as well as first boost of four.

After 13 treatments I am barely pink but I’m expecting it to get worse. Just a bit tired. I’m taking two half hour walks a day instead of one long one.

Hang in there

• moxie32
    Options

Just got a call that one of the radiation machines is down so my appointment today is cancelled and everything is moved out a day. Sigh.

• striveforhealth
    striveforhealth Member Posts: 59
    Options

# 2 completed today. Something new was that when you get checked at the door if you are not entering with a mask, they give you one and recommend you wear it. When I got to my waiting area a patient was sitting there without a mask. When my therapist came to get me she told that patient she need to accept a mask. Patient replied she can't breath in it. Once on the table, I was told to leave some space for air to get in so that I am breathing normally while getting the treatment.

• Arwa89
    Arwa89 Member Posts: 11
    Options

wow all of you are allowed to wear mask at my hospital they made me throw my mask because it’s not allowed to wear it only if you have symptoms then they will give you one and no temperature checking when you entering just hand sanitiz

• HeartShapedBox
    Options

At my facility you cannot even enter if you don't have a mask or take one provided, and you MUST wear it the whole time, and have a temp check and sanitizer at the door as well. I can't imagine a facility not even allowing masks! Did they explain why they have this policy? It makes no sense to me and seems not just reckless but wasteful to make people get rid of their masks when there's such a shortage of them!

• Arwa89
    Arwa89 Member Posts: 11
    Options

yeah i asked them why and they said so we don’t get confused 🤷🏻♀️Only people with symptoms can wear it

• moxie32
    Options

16 / 20 today. That was the last regular treatment. Four boosts next week. I will be so glad when it’s over.

• HeartShapedBox
    Options

Last "regular" treatment for me today, too! 25/30 sessions, 50/60 gray total dose, 5 boosts next week. Relieved that it's almost over. Radiation has been by far the easiest part of my treatment so far and my skin is holding up ok, no peeling, but I'm looking pretty red now (esp the hours following treatment) and would like to stop having to babying it and wearing layers of goop!