Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting radiation March 2020

Options

Comments

• moxie32
    moxie32 Member Posts: 51
    Options

I am done with radiation! Now onto letrozole starting May 1.

Congrats to everyone who has finished and hang in there to everyone who is still in progress.

• flowerkid
    flowerkid Member Posts: 83
    Options

Moxie congratulations on finishing radiation!

Yes my emotions are all over the place. Feels hormonal, except I haven't had my period since October (chemo had started Aug). I am now anxious about aromotase inhibitor conversation with MO in a few weeks. Will still be taking Kadcyla through November and hate the thought of more drugs. I just had no idea originally how much was involved. Right now just suffering from being super emotional and very red and painful from radiation. But no blistering...

• JLBinPDX
    JLBinPDX Member Posts: 71
    Options

Question for all: has anyone had very sensitive nipple sensation and/or very slight bleeding around the nipple? I finished just three weeks of radiation a week ago. All has been totally fine. Then yesterday I noticed pretty severe sensitivity in the nipple on the radiation side. Just today, slight bleeding under the nipple (the tumor was at about 6 o'clock). I put mycatracin (or whatever it's called) and hope it'll be fine tomorrow. Almost sure it's from radiation and maybe burned more than it shows? Anyone?

• martaj
    martaj Member Posts: 307
    Options

JLBin call onocoligist. They need to know, even radiation onocology, Bleeding from or around nipple is not normal

• jrnj
    jrnj Member Posts: 407
    Options

I was having hand and arm pain and numbness from chemo. I'm feeling much better now on steroids (Dexamethasone.) Radiation if fine. The steroids are also giving me more energy so I'm not as tired as the first week. I have thick oliveish skin, so no serious burning yet and I just finished 3 weeks. I am doing 7 weeks, at a lower dose. I actually enjoy the social aspect of the radiation. The nurses are very nice and I am in a waiting room occasionally with a few people. I met someone who is a former homicide detective, had DCIS previously, mastectomy, no chemo or radiation, now has bone mets and has 2 kids under 5. So sad. I think the system is messed up that they do radiation automatically for lumpectomy, but not mastectomy. Glad my RO recommended radiation for me.

Havefaith, I dyed my hair, I couldn't wait. My chemo was different than yours, I lost about 90%, but the dying doesn't appear to be doing any additional damage. I bought a bunch of the "natural" hair dyes. Tried Herbatint right before chemo and it actually burned my scalp. In the last few weeks I tried Swartzkoff, didn't work, hair still gray, and also burned my scalp a little. Than I tired Revlon clean and vegan and that worked too good, light brown, looks black, but appeared to be gentle, no scalp burning. I also have naturtint, but haven't tried it yet.

Congrats to all that finished!!!!

• martaj
    Options

Last week of radiation!! wo ho!!! Skin is healing, only 1 blister left. Light at end of tunnel

• momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Member Posts: 18
    Options

I am done!

I got only 28 rounds instead of the planned 33 since my mastectomy incision (skin sparing/nipple sparing with expanders) was so far away from the tumor bed. So the week of boots got cancelled!

My skin on my breast was just red. But my armpit and under breast turned black and broke open. I am allergic to Silvadene, so I am applying Sonafine to the open skin.

This makes me almost glad that mastectomy and lymph node dissection left me numb. It looks terrible, but I hardly feel any pain at all.

Congratulations to all the other finishers too

• Eigna
    Eigna Member Posts: 256
    Options

Hello everyone! I have 5 treatments left ! 15 of 20 today. Can’t wait to finish! Doing ok. Slight sunburn so far. Will see if I can keep it up!

• JLBinPDX
    Options

Best to everyone. I mentioned very slight bleeding around the areola about a week or less after treatment. Since it's skin, it, too, burned. That's all it was, simply burned/charred skin. Mycitracin (or whatever that healing ointment is called), a few days, and good as new. Some days I whine a bit in my own head--two separate breast cancers, a reduction/lift that's left a nipple too high and a lot of numbness and a scar across my boob, and numbness at the site of the lymph nodes. My whining is short-lived. I'm here; I'm seriously healthy; I'm lucky; I still have breast and don't have to deal with the challenges of a mastectomy and/or reconstruction. My body isn't like it used to be and I have a small array of warrier scars to prove my warrior-like essence. I endured this. You can, too. Some days I even embrace the challenges I've been through and focus on some true silver linings that have come. Not every hour, not every day is this way, but most. I care about you all and your journey.

• striveforhealth
    striveforhealth Member Posts: 59
    Options

JRNJ, I have used Naturtint hair coloring for about a dozen years. Not sure how your scalp would react to it but I changed to Naturtint because normal hair coloring suddenly caused a lot of scalp irritation...burning and itching. I like it. There are a lot of color options and the color lasts. If you decide to try it, use it according to directions and always use a good shampoo and conditioner for hair that's colored.

JLBinPDX, I like your attitude. Have your boo hoo moments then count your blessings. That's great. Just a small comment about your one nipple that's a little too high...at the moment. I also had a reduction. The plastic surgeon PURPOSEFULLY left the cancer breast slightly larger to accommodate for potential after radiation breast shrinkage which he said could be from 1 - 10%. So, my non-cancer reduced breast is a tiny bit smaller with the nipple a tiny bit higher. The PS said they should be just about the same size, etc. after radiation or within 4-6 months. He offered to do a fix if it's not, but honeslty, the difference is so small that if they don't end up perfectly even I'm OK with it.

This week the RO prescribed a steroid cream to substitute for cortisone I had been using for itching. I have some pink/red skin a lot like a sunburn, but skin is intact at this point. I'm also using Aquafor and Calendula cream. I started feeling some fatigue sometime last week and it's typical for me to fall asleep in the afternoon now. I'm feeling pretty good about where I'm at right now in the radiation process.

All the best ladies. BIG (((HUGS))) !

• martaj
    Options

My last day of Radiation!!!!! So glad this part of journey is soon to be overwith!. Tolerated being diagnosed, scans, blood test, 3 different types of chemo, mastectomy with reconstruction, lymph node removal, and now 30 treatments of rads!!!!! All margins clear including lymph nodes. Just on trial drug every 3 weeks. It has been quite a journey. My hair is even returning. Want a F***ing journey. Not one I want to repeat. But onto what is next. Stage 3 Triple neg

• martaj
    Options

Radiation done!!!! Onward and upward!

• JLBinPDX
    Options

Martaj, congratulations! I've been down the triple negative path in 2017--difficult times. Don't be surprised if there are a lot of emotions still to come. The time when appointments wrap up and you're kind of left out there on your own is difficult for many. But know that there is light. I suggest taking the time to just go with whatever emotions come up and try not to judge them. You're through the darkest, most difficult times; all is not totally rosy but it's all in perspective--you and doctors have done what they can to get you through this, now your further journey continues. Congratulations!

• martaj
    Options

Thank you JLBinPDX

• Darlene63
    Darlene63 Member Posts: 15
    Options

I had my planning session on Wednesday 4/22/20 for the radiation treatment; it was not that exciting. I really like wearing the COVID -19 mask that way no one really recognizes you. My insurance has been dragging their feet every since this started back in Feb 2020. The days run into each other so if I don't write down what I am doing I forget. So today was the first radiation treatment and it is really horrible; they kept my breast bare almost the entire time while they did more measurements. And of course one of the techs is a guy; being single and never taking off your clothes in front of any one makes this really difficult. Radiation for a month so I don't know what that means 20 sessions or 28 or 30. Who knows. I know I am being stupid but this was not how I planned to spend retirement and the "golden years".

• jrnj
    Options

Congrats Martaj, and momof1!

Strive for health, I'll probably give it another try. I think I had one chemo treatment and was trying to sneak in one more dye, so that might have been why it didn't go well.

Darlene, so sorry it is so uncomfortable for you. I hope you get more used to it. Try to remember it may be saving your life and it will go by fast, this is just a blip in time. I have two male nurses also, and have always had female drs., but I've been through so much I just don't care anymore. And my male nurse is a pretty funny guy. My breasts are mutilated reconstruction failures, and I won't have reconstruction until the fall or next year. I actually enjoy getting out of the house.

• Eigna
    Options

Hello all, I made it. I completed radiation treatments. Cannot believe it. So many emotions.

• moxie32
    Options

Way to go to everyone who is done!

I have slight discomfort still but nothing too bad.

Starting letrozole tomorrow.

• striveforhealth
    striveforhealth Member Posts: 59
    Options

Eigna... outstanding! You made it through another phase of your journey. :-) I'm happy for you.

• martaj
    Options

Eigna, congrats on finishing!

• Eigna
    Options

Thank you all for your wishes! I have some redness under the breast. Does anyone else has this issue?I try not no to put a bra when I’m home but still have some kind of redness. It is a bit uncomfortable but bearable.

• flowerkid
    Options

Congratulations to those who have finished radiation!

I have my 1 month follow up via telemedicine tomorrow. I have been more uncomfortable, sore these days but it probably is more post mastectomy, even though it has been 4 months!

I only wore a bra once post radiation and it seemed tight. Since I am small breasted anyways (and mostly.home!) I am foregoing a bra as long as possible.

Darlene, I hope radiation has gotten a little more manageable by now. You can ask exactly how many sessions you are expected to have.

Moxie, I hope your leteizole is going well. I am also supposed to start tamixifen or an aromotase inhibitor soon. Anxious about that.

• martaj
    Options

I finished up radiation end of April. I did have blistering and such. Now skin pretty much back to normal. I got fitted for bras yesterday since I haven't worn any except surgical ones post op. During radiation just wore a cotton, camasole I have to say with mastectomy and reconstruction I went down 6 cup sizes and now can finally buy bras off the racks. I bought some really nice ones and feel much better about my self. Breast surgeon follow up today. I plan on wearing one of my new fancy bras. I'm small in statue and weight, having very large breasts was uncomfortable, now my back doesn't hurt anymore and both my breast looks great. Only good thing about getting breast cancer was I got the reduction I always wanted but was to chicken, I'm triple neg, so one ward and upward.

• moxie32
    Options

Glad you feel better Mataj!

Flowerkid - I just got called for a 1-month telemed followup for tomorrow. I didn’t know I was even supposed to have one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am not having any problems with letrozole so far. The only thing I’ve noticed is an odd metallic taste when I wake up. I take it before bed. I’ve been sleeping great for a change - probably relief at being done with active treatment during a pandemic

• jrnj
    Options

Hi Gang,

I finished Friday. The last 7 treatments were scar only. My redness and blistering is almost gone already. Radiation was pretty easy, and I actually enjoyed the social aspect of it, BUT, I have a lot of aches and pains throughout my body, that I didn't have during chemo. So its either still recovering from chemo withdrawal, statins, arthritis or some other kind of inflammation problem or metastatic cancer, yes that's my anxiety talking. And my bone scan came up as Osteopenia. They told me to just take OTC Calcium and Vitamin D. I decided to postpone ovary removal til August and get a Lupron shot, should be next week, then Aromosin. I actually postponed, so I could be home with my kids at the end of August, but used Covid as an excuse.

Question:

I don't have any burns in my armpit area and the hair is still growing. I am having a panic attack over this as I'm afraid they didn't go far enough. Same anxiety I had when they didn't take enough nodes, I thought radiation would cover it. Did your radiation burn your armpit?

• havefaithtoday
    havefaithtoday Member Posts: 88
    Options

Congrats JRNJ on finishing radiation. That's awesome. I don't have any burns under my arm either and wondered if they went up far enough, but then I thought maybe the lymph nodes are a little lower? I'm sure they know what they're doing when they do the mapping, so guess we can't worry about it.

I I've been battling depression ever since the chemo put me into menopause. And with that, the cancer, all the treatments and the pandemic, my Dr said it was the Perfect Storm for me. So I am trying Effexor for the depression, but not much relief even after 3 weeks. It has helped the hot flashes quite a bit though. I started Arimidex last week.

How's everyone else holding up?

• flowerkid
    Options

I also had lymph nodes removed and no burns under the arm. To my surprise (and dismay) my hair has indeed grown back under the arm. And I think it is darker than the other side. Funny, RO told me it probably wouldn't grow back there!

Moxie thank you for the info. I don't get that peaceful.sleep.yet, as I am still getting kadcyla (chemo after surgery) every three weeks- tomorrow, in fact! I do get stressed having to go , yet I like my stand alone center very much. Once I am there, staff are pretty great!

Many moments of anxiety. I occasionally take Ativan. Have faith today, this forum is terrific support, but have you also tried local support groups, maybe online?

• moxie32
    Options

JRNJ - No hair loss for me. I did not have any lymph nodes removed though.

Flowerkid - I had planned on going to an in-person group at my hospital, but the pandemic stopped that. I think they were going to try online meetings but I didn't follow up. Now I feel like since I'm not in active treatment it's kind of a moot point for me.

I do have an opportunity to have 6 free acupuncture sessions and/or massages through the hospital's integrative medicine department. It's free so I applied to do it - still waiting to hear when they will be scheduling those appointments.

• jrnj
    Options

Thanks for the feedback ladies. I searched radiation images and it showed women with sizzled armpits. I guess that was the old days. I'm afraid they are minimizing treatments too much because they are concerned about side effects. I have a hard time letting things go.

Havefaith, I had anxiety and depression before dx. Being off of work has helped, but I go back 6/1 and that is making me really anxious. Chemo put me in menopause too. My MOs nurse gave me Effexor for hot flashes, but I didn't take it. I'm not a fan of anti-depressants. I tried 5 or 6, for no longer than a week, because they made me feel weird and sick. But if the hot flashes are bad when I start Aromosin, I'll try it. I do house projects to keep my mind occupied. My body is holding me back a little, I have a ton of aches and pains now. And my kids are driving me crazy, before and during pandemic. But I actually don't mind the pandemic, it has forced everything to slow down. I planted flowers with my daughter, something I've never done before. Plus I was going out every day to radiation, so I didn't feel trapped. I hope you feel better and find some peace.

• Eigna
    Options

Hello ...it’s been a while since I posted anything...just wondering how all of you are doing? How do you feel after radiation treatments are over? Do you feel your breast different than before? I have this lump where the incision is ..I will get it checked by my doctor in a few weeks..it’s probably from the incision....also when I lie down on my belly..my radiated breast feels uncomfortable and have some pain...do you have similar discomfort? Thanks for sharing.