Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting radiation March 2020

Options

Comments

• striveforhealth
    striveforhealth Member Posts: 59
    Options

Congrats to those nearing the end of your treatments. I accomplished the first 4.... no treatments today due to being closed for Good Friday.

• moxie32
    moxie32 Member Posts: 51
    Options

Yay Heartshaped! I am a bit pink but I know it could get worse before it gets better. Also more sore today.

I picked up a prescription for a topical steroid cream today (Mometasone Furoate).

Hope everyone has a good weekend

• JLBinPDX
    JLBinPDX Member Posts: 71
    Options

I'm looking for suggestions and thoughts on Letrozole. I finished radiation on Wednesday (small YAY) and started Letrozole yesterday. I've felt slightly nauseous all day. I took it in the morning, after an apple and coffee. I can't find an AI or Letrozole thread. Anyone? Wondering with or without food? More food? A different time of day? Thanks, Julie

• HeartShapedBox
    HeartShapedBox Member Posts: 117
    Options

JLB I can't speak to the Letrozole in particular, but I know if I took a pill after coffee and an apple (both acidic) I'd have an upset stomach. Maybe try with a buffering meal? (Toast, crackers etc) if it's allowed with food?

And congrats on finishing radiation, gotta take those "small yays" where we can get em!

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026
    Options

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/78

JLB, I’m not sure if the link will work, but if not, search under All Topics for “Hormone Therapy: Before, During, and After”. There are a few threads that may be helpful to you.

I’ve been on Letrozole for over a year now and it did take some adjusting. I still have the queasiness (and lightheadedness) at times and find that a snack like a granola bar and more water help me. I take it with breakfast but that’s what works for me. ( I also take another med so I don’t know for sure which cause the different side effects.). I am happy with its anti-cancer effects for me though, so I’ll be staying the course. Good luck to you! 🌻

And congrats on finishing rads! I finished about 3 weeks ago and am very glad to be done.

• JLBinPDX
    Options

Thanks. I think you're both probably right to start with a more substantial breakfast. Damn, with all of this staying home, I'm probably gaining a pound a day but maybe toast, crackers, granola bar. That'll be my next step. Thanks.

And best to everyone. I cried my last day while thanking the radiation oncology staff for BEING there every day. Other than face shields and masks, you'd hardly have known that anything was different. All I wanted was to get through treatment without it being delayed--success!

• moxie32
    Options

Glad you’re done! I start letrozole May 1. You may find more info by searching under its brand name (Femara)

• JLBinPDX
    Options

Moxie32, thanks. I tried "Letrozole," but it shows up in so many people's bio that it wasn't helpful, but I'll try Fernara, which I did not realize. Best to you.

• havefaithtoday
    havefaithtoday Member Posts: 88
    Options

Congrats to those that just finished radiation! I've got 15/20 done and will have the boost next week. I too am very thankful to the medical staff for being there.

Anyone else that had chemo prior, how are you doing with the hair loss? It still hits me hard when I look in the mirror.

• JLBinPDX
    Options

Havefaithtoday, I've been there. This round of breast cancer didn't include chemo, but the 2017 stint did. Now, 2 1/2 years later, I have a full head of hari below my shoulders. Try not to sweat it as it really will grow back. I remember that a few weeks after chemo, I lost my eyelashes and eye brows. That was even harder than the hair. But it ALL grows back. Try to rock head scarfs, etc. I still have people say that I "rocked bald" and I didn't appreciate the ease of it enough. I always tried to avoid mirrors as I went bald, even in the world, much of the time. You CAN do it and YES, it really DOES grow back. You'll get there!

• havefaithtoday
    Options

Thanks so much JLB. Sorry you have to be going through this a 2nd time. Glad you didn't have to do chemo again though.

I've got about 1 inch of hair growth on my head now. I've got lots of hats and scarves and a few wigs (haven't had a need to wear the wigs much though).

But do you remember at what point once your hair started growing, you felt comfortable going without a hat or cover? And how does one style 2-3 inches of hair growth? Lol

• Charlotte4324625
    Charlotte4324625 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I am half way of my 28. I am very red around clavicle. I didn't know what to expect and this site helped me so much. Thank you so much.

• HeartShapedBox
    Options

Havefaith I finished neoadjuvant chemo in mid November, and my hair has fully regrown enough that I trimmed it recently! At 4 months post chemo everything looked short, but normal again; full thickness, eyebrows and lashes (and unfortunately everywhere else!) grown in. Give it time, it will regrow!

Even at 2-3 months, regrowth was thin and patchy and I was fairly discouraged. But just shy of 4 months post-final-chemo this is how much hair I had:

As far as style, think of Jane Seberg or Mia Farrow pixie type cuts. I think a little longer than this will be harder to style, depending on the curl, I'm not sure what I'll do at that awkward stage! (Lots of hats?? 😆)

• havefaithtoday
    Options

Thanks HeartShaped. That's a beautiful full head of hair. Really gives me encouragement. When the hair on my legs and the hair on my chin started to come back I was actually so happy...lol. My eyebrows are very thin right now...I've heard women say they fall out later and that's definitely been the case. I never had thick eyelashes. They are still very thin.

My hair is coming back in very white and gray. I was told to wait at least 3 months to color it. I found a product called NaturTint that is free from chemicals. Going to try that in a month. I think all the white and gray makes it look like less hair too. Normally I'm a medium brown.

I agree, there is going to be a lot of awkward stages to styling it.

Thanks for your encouragement

• flowerkid
    flowerkid Member Posts: 83
    Options

JLBinpdx - congrats on finishing radiation! I am learning that every piece of treatment completed is a big deal.

Havefaith today - I have been through chemo and hair loss (started to growing back similar to heartshaped, after just two months) I have to say, that I was SO anxious about loosing my hair, and while the initial moments of my hair coming out were indeed upsetting, it ended up not being nearly as bad as I expected. And my thick long hair has absolutely been my vanity my whole life! Once my hair started coming out, I shaved it off and I was very pleased with that decision.

• martaj
    martaj Member Posts: 307
    Options

off to 5th week of radiation today. My skin is a mess. blisters, peeling and very painful. Even my back where beam exits. Uggg. I have to see RO before treatment today because of burns. Using lots of creams, prescription creams now. Can't wait for this to be over with. Not as bad as chemo, but getting there. Next week just boosts

• JLBinPDX
    Options

Flowerkid, I found the same about being bald--it was an initial shock and hard to get used to, but it actually offers some benefits. I appreciate your mention of your hair being had been your "vanity your whole life." What a silver lining to find out that you're still YOU without your beautiful and noteworthy hair. Believe or not, y'all your eyelashes, brows, and hair in every part of your body (some unwanted more than otherrs) really does grow back. You are NOT your hair, but yes, it, too, shall return.

• HeartShapedBox
    Options

Oh Martaj, hold on, not too much longer! Are they layering you with any kind of bandaging with the creams? I've heard that can help make it more comfortable, at least.

After doing pretty well thus far, this past weekend by skin finally started to give up- just a little bit of blistering and a part of my scarline is "opening" raw. Hoping it doesn't get too bad along the scar line, I hate that my skin is opening up there.

There was a mixup with my schedule today, so I was upstairs in the chemo lounge with my port accessed waiting for meds when we found out they wanted me in radiation for my boost first! So I had to trek thru the building and go get rads with my IV line in, that wasn't very fun. Luckily the boost was VERY quick, a bunch of setup and then just one beam, and done. 4 more more to go!

• martaj
    Options

Change up yesterday at radiation. They are doing my boosts this week instead of next week to give my skin a chance to heal. Still blistering, and peeling, not so painful today. Next week which is my last week will have full breast resumed. Almost done. Thank god. Still not as bad as chemo

• ziggzmom
    ziggzmom Member Posts: 10
    Options

Martaj ~ I'm so glad they did that for you. I have been having the same experience as you and they changed mine around last week. I will be done this Thursday and I'm so thankful. I also am tired of being gooped up all of the time. I have been putting mepilex pads over it and that seems to help. Stay safe and hang in there!

• havefaithtoday
    Options

Martaj, hope the switch up gives you a much needed break. You're almost there!!!

Heartshaped, sorry to hear about your scar opening. Hope it heals quickly. Are you doing chemo at the same time?

I started my boost yesterday. For some reason feeling more anxious this week.

• martaj
    Options

Thanks all for the support, I only have 8 more treatments. Blisters have subsided today, but now peeling and raw. Can't wait for this to be done. I wear the same 3 shirts and undergarments (braless) cotton Tshirts, with all the goop, and meds that turn clothing black or brown and doesn't wash out. I just want my life back. The new normal

• HeartShapedBox
    Options

Martaj I really recommend having a radiation nurse bandage you up after treatment! My RO today looked at my "wounds" (not too bad yet, some blisters and hint of opening scar line), and said it will get worse the next 2 weeks. She had the radiation wound nurse patch me up in a manner similar to what Spoonie described, thick layer of silvadine scream, xeroform gauze, and cushioned pads, all held in with a flexible mesh tube top. It feels sooo much more comfortable having that protective layer on there! I was given a ton of extra supplies to take home, so I can continue to bandage myself up after treatment each day (and some hibiclens spray to disinfect my clean chest 2 hours before treatment)

• moxie32
    Options

Hope that helps Martaj.

Today was 18/20 (2/4 boosts) for me. I also saw the RO for the last time during treatment. She said my skin looked good and showed me where the beams went and how they avoided my heart. She does not expect me to have either heart or lung effects.

I did ask her if they were delaying treatment for people, and she said I just made it into treatment. Now, someone with my Dx is just taking AIs and it will be a few months before they can all be scheduled for surgery. I am relieved for myself but just so sad for those who have to wait. It sucks.

• flowerkid
    flowerkid Member Posts: 83
    Options

Last day of radiation. Ok yes I rang that bell! Cheesy but enjoyed it!! . And because of covid19 and not having family allowed in the building, they did a virtual showing so my people could actually view it via computer! I was told to expect worsening redness, possible peeling before recovery but that my skin does look good. Super red on the side, will use aquaphor and see. Excited to be done, though odd feeling as that was my only outing at all! Husband goes to the store. Now I have no place I need to go! Except for chemo in two weeks and surgeon follow-up...ok still busy.

• HeartShapedBox
    Options

Moxie it sounds like you lucked out in many ways, congrats! I can't imagine the stress people are feeling at having to delay treatment during this crazy time...

Yay Flowerkid!! So good to be done!

Today was boost #2, 3 more days to go. The good bit of news I forgot to mention was my dressings nurse said although damage would continue for 10 days after treatment stopped, after that it would "get better very quickly, all at once". Looking forward to that! Despite it all, this has still been the easiest part of my treatment by far. I've been continuing with my "chemo lite" Herceptin infusions every 3 weeks during radiation, but in 6 weeks when I'm healed from this I'll switch to the more intense Kadcyla for a year (because I'm triple positive and had residual cancer after neoadjuvant chemo). Dreading it.

• elizapt
    elizapt Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi, all,

I finished 16 days this past Monday. I am one of those who just sneaked in just in time to have my treatments. Otherwise I would have had to wait until July. So grateful for that. I am super tired, my skin is not too bad really, but I do have some nausea. On May 1, I start Arimedex, but I'm using the generic. My oncotype is only a 3 and I'm a bit worried about the side effects of the med but will start it and see what happens. Even though the doc and the nurses say I shouldn't be nauseas, I met two other women during radiation treatment who also had nausea. Anyone else here feel that? My doctor said this might be the toughest week in terms of fatigue but I have worked out almost everyday since I started so hoping to be over the side effects soon.

Hang in there, everyone. Your stories are so helpful.

• havefaithtoday
    Options

Hi Ladies, good to hear many of you are winding your radiation down. I have 2 days left. Feeling relieved, but at the same time also feeling quite a mix of emotions. This will be the end of active treatment for me. They did my discharge yesterday and went over lots of things. Tomorrow I see my MO over Video call. I know she'll discuss Tamoxifen at that time. According to recent blood tests, I am now in menopause.

I feel very lucky that we all were able to get treatment during this time.

Is anyone else feeling a mix of emotions lately? I don't know if it's the winding down of the cancer treatment, or menopause symptoms or the crazy times we are in, but my emotions are all over the place.

• HeartShapedBox
    Options

elizapt I have noticed that the two Herceptin infusions I've had during radiation made me nauseous afterwards, and they never did before radiation. So maybe? It's hard to know what is causing what sometimes, with everything getting thrown at us. Good luck with the arimedex, I'm also really nervous about potential side effects from hormone suppression meds, but luckily my MO said that since I'm starting Kadcyla soon, we can wait on the tamoxifen til later (I guess because chemo already destroued my ovaries, and the kadcyla will continue to?)

Havefaith I for one have been feeling pretty emotional lately, tearing up unexpectedly etc. I'd chalked that up to challenging times, between the state of this country (and state of my health), but I can well imagine that leaving "active" treatment has got to be its own kind of emotionally difficult! Surely there must be a thread on here to help with that?

• JLBinPDX
    Options

Hi Havefaith. I'm a little surprised to hear you'll be on Tamoxifen as I thought that was the standard for pre-menopausal. I'm asking because I'm on Letrozole since I'm post menopause. I'm doing okay, but do have some slight nausea. I know there are other options if I don't handle this well, so I was wondering what you knew about Tamoxifen for post-menopausal.

The emotions things is something lots of us endure. I cried on my last day of radiation as I was saying thanks to the radiation team. I was pretty thankful that they were there for me during these Covid times and that I'd gotten through pretty unscathed. However, I think you'll likely find that emotions are a part of many, if not all, of your upcoming months. It's a time that you're not focused on an array of appointments and side effects and meds, etc so you're just kind of left out there on your own. I've been down this breast cancer path already in 2017 and the emotions that come with release from treatment are commonly discussed in my support group. Be prepared and don't judge them. There's something to the idea that we soldiered through during treatment (and especially if you had to have chemo) and now there's a release. Best to all of you.