Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 654
    edited March 2020
    Options

Kanga -

That may be true but why no media reports from up here about the situation down there???

🐾🐾

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,028
    edited March 2020
    Options

Basically, the jury's still out on whether warm weather will have any affect on the coronoavirus:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/will-coronavirus-go-away-with-warm-weather/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6j&linkId=83771413

"It is hard to know," Dr. Gray (Duke University) said. "Routinely seen coronaviruses often wane during summer months as buildings have more air circulation, [people] tend to congregate less, and people are more exposed to UV light which can kill viruses."

However, he said this particular coronavirus, known as SARS-CoV2, "is pretty infectious — meaning it has a high basic reproduction number — and virtually 100% of people are susceptible. My hunch is we may see a 10% to 20% slowdown in transmission, but I doubt the virus will cease infecting people during summer months."

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,971
    edited March 2020
    Options

aprilgirl1, thinking of you during your scans Medicating

And thinking of all of you!! Good for all of us to take the recommended safety precautions!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited March 2020
    Options

Depends on what media reports you watch. Reputable ones will give the true facts. Others, don’t, or make up their own numbers.

• spookiesmom
    edited March 2020
    Options

• nopink2019
    nopink2019 Member Posts: 384
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Appt w/MO today. Told her I am planning airplane trip to visit friends & family at end of month, unless craziness breaks out @ my destination. She said to take precautions, like a paper mask so I don't touch my own face, wipes & sanitizer. BUT live my life. A nosey friend called DH while I was still completing tx & proceeded to tell him how wrong that was & I should stay home. But, her DH insists on greeting me w/a kiss! And they have changed their family visit to driving, instead of flying. I guess gas station toilets are cleaner than airplane's? Arrrgh!
  • kanga_roo
    kanga_roo Member Posts: 302
    edited March 2020
    Options

Goldens, you know what they say, no news is good news😂

Here is a couple of links for you, but it has got worse since publication. I was standing next to a women who had a trolly full of toilet paper - she was bragging about selling it for a profit on Gumtree! This type of situation brings out the worst in people. Social media is full of similar stories that don’t hit mainstream media.

This is not a hoax, people are dying worldwide, and the media has been complicit in covering up the true number. Our government has now belatedly decided to treat it as a serious issue and put in place funding to support those worst affected.By the end of March we will get a better idea of how bad it really is. Meanwhile stay safe.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-04/coronavirus-live-updates-toilet-paper-panic-buying-limits/12023040
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/28/sensationalist-media-is-exacerbating-racist-coronavirus-fears-we-need-to-combat-it?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Jackie.

• divinemrsm
    edited March 2020
    Options

Isn't the complete ignorance of some people astounding? To stop drinking Corona beer because ...well, some people think its name somehow links it to the virus? You will get Coronavirus drinking that beer? I'm sure I could find idiots in my home town who honestly believe that.

Now there are reports that due to the coronavirus, Asian Americans are being discriminated against with a drop in restaurants and other businesses.

The mass hysteria is worse than the virus.

There are just swaths of people who are totally and completely dumb, dumb, dumber than shit.

Take this recent Garth Brooks story:

Barry Sanders is a former professional football player for the Detroit Lions and was one of their most famous players. He wore the #20 on his jersey. When Garth Brooks performed in Detroit about a week ago, he wore a Detroit Lions “Sanders 20" jersey on stage and was immediately castigated by angry fans accusing him of endorsing “Bernie Sanders 2020". Brooks, 58, is a graduate of Oklahoma State University, where Barry Sanders won the Heisman trophy. During the concert, Brooks referred to Barry Sanders as the greatest player in NFL history,

Total asshats jump to immediate conclusions, no critical thinking applied,and absolutely will not, under any circumstance change their minds when proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are wrong.

What is wrong with people?

• spookiesmom
    edited March 2020
    Options

Then I saw an article urging elderly people to not go to crowded places. Movies, church, grocery during peak times etc. Don’t quite know what to think of that. It’s hard enough to get around to anywhere here right now because of the snowbirds. I can’t get into my favorite Publix on weekends because of beach traffic.

DD sent a copy of email from our school district detailing what is happening in schools. Basically we are wiping everything down. I’m worried for her and my grands. Not so much me, I don’t do crowds, period.

I guess the best advise I’ve seen is ignore the prez, follow Center for Disease Control, World Health Orginazation, local news, but not Fox.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,786
    edited March 2020
    Options

Avoiding Corona beer? I have no words for that level of stupidity. I wonder if they even know what corona means?

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625
    edited March 2020
    Options

Yes, quite silly if people are avoiding Corona beer over this. Maybe this is more of a joke...I hope.

I am a farmer/rancher and I was listening to a commodity market commentary report a few weeks ago. The analyst was talking about the possible shortage of pharmaceuticals among other things due to the coronavirus in China causing a stoppage in exports. Many pharmaceuticals and their base ingredients are made in China. For example, Ibrance is manufactured in Ireland but where do they get the base ingredients to manufacture it? There is a strong chance that some of the base ingredients are from China. Obviously, if ingredients are not available, we start running out of pharmaceuticals and while we try to ramp up production in other areas of the world, there would be a lag time. How long can those of us with MBC go without our medications or a diabetic, etc? Base ingredients coming out of China prior to the coronavirus outbreak have tested positive for such things as jet fuel. The need to bring back pharmaceutical manufacturing to our own country or at least to friendly nations is certainly something that I think we should be considering. SARS and coronavirus both trace back to Wuhan, China and we are supposed to believe that the coronavirus came from bat soup. Is it really a "coincidence" that there is a biological warfare site at Wuhan and or could the Chinese government accidentally or purposely let the the coronavirus get out? We do know that the head scientist from the biological warfare site has died. If intentionally let out, was it to break world economies, especially the US prior to a general election? I also read a report about over 328 illegal immigrants from China coming across the US-Mexico border this year. This would be another way to spread the caronavirus and certainly highlights the need for better control of our border to prevent disease spread.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,089
    edited March 2020
    Options

I have been following this Thread, but have not posted till now.

I watched a news report last night on Coronavirus. 20/20 report on ABC TV network. I know the media can be making the hysteria worse, but this newscast seemed calm and factual. It summarized the outbreak- where started, how and where it spread, the numbers of cases and deaths, etc. They had a panel of doctors answering the public's questions that they could Tweet in. I do not do Twitter, so I could not ask any questions. The doctors agreed that the medical community still does not know some things about the virus---can a person get it more than once, how it can effect a pregnant person, how long it survives on surfaces, will the summer season lessen the cases. They advised to eat healthy and get plenty of rest to help fight it, HANDWASHING as the best way to fight it, and general advise like that. They did not say to stop travel or ones activities, but to weigh the risks versus benefits when making plans.

I am not hysterical about it. But I have a respect for the virus due to my health situation. If I was healthy, I wouldn't think too much about it. They say that 80% of the cases present as mild--like a cold or the flu. But with the treatments I am on and my continuous low white counts---WBC 2.0 at best/ ANC at 1000 at best (after week off Ibrance)-- I do worry that if I catch it I could end up in ICU or dead.

I think the virus deserves our respect---in our Stage IV condition.

I hope they get a handle on it soon.

Has anyone talked with their MO about the situation? I see my MO end of March. I may ask her what she is telling her patients---beyond the basics of staying out of crowds, handwashing, etc.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited March 2020
    Options

The big problem with the virus is that if it spreads quickly, even the small number of people who develop complications and need hospitalization can quickly overwhelm the medical system. A surge of patients in ICUs will stretch resources. There are only so many beds, so many ventilators, so much staff. Plus hospitals are already short on personal protection equipment for staff. Social distancing and self isolation measures are to try to slow the spread, so that it all happens over many months rather than over a short period of time.

The American Hospital Association had a closed door presentation a couple weeks ago but slides from the talk were leaked. They are recommending hospitals prepare for 10X worse than flu season. https://www.businessinsider.com/presentation-us-hospitals-preparing-for-millions-of-hospitalizations-2020-3

A thread on how quickly medical system can be overwhelmed: https://twitter.com/LizSpecht/status/1236095180459003909 (you can read even if you don't have a twitter account).

Anyone with immunosuppression is vulnerable - the elderly, cancer patients, organ transplant patients, diabetics, people on long term steroids. Anyone with pre existing respiratory problems is vulnerable - asthma, emphysema etc. The number of vulnerable people is significant.

Healthcare workers in Canada remember SARS with a pain in their hearts. 43% of our SARS cases were health care workers.

BC's chief medical officer was just doing a live press conference about coronavirus minutes ago and broke down crying during it. BC is responding well - we had a better SARS response than Ontario, fewer mistakes were made and additional plans were put in place after SARS. But this is potentially huge & what's happening just south of our border is deeply troubling. She must be under intense pressure.

• candy-678
    edited March 2020
    Options

So question for our group that I wanted to ask the 20/20 panel if I had Twitter--- so the 14 day self quarantine is if you have been in contact with a coronavirus positive person? Before you show signs of the illness? Like on the cruise ships--travelers that were known to be around the infected person. So..... at the end of the 14 days you breathe a sigh of relief that you are ok. Come out of quarantine. And BAM you are around another person that is sick and now you are back in quarantine?????? OR..... You get a mild case, you self quarantine to protect others, come out ok and BAM you can catch it again. Good grief. How will we ever get a handle on it short of a vaccine.

• moth
    edited March 2020
    Options

In BC we're still testing people before allowing them out of self-quarantine. Last stats I saw, BC had tested more people than all of USA.
    I don't know how long our capacity to test will continue. Seattle has stopped testing community cases, only if you're bad enough to be hospitalized. They're just assuming it's out there, I guess.

I think there's no chance of containment. Our best hope is to slow things down.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hysteria doesn't help, but am I wrong to be concerned? My blood counts are way below normal due to Ibrance (WBC at 2.2, ANC at .66 in off week). I can avoid going out to public places except the hospital and public transit. My family cannot. They'll do their best, but I am careful even in my own home. I'm a natural germaphobic introvert, so it's more like validation than a hardship. I just want to avoid catching anything that may require me to stop taking Ibrance.

We were able to find a bottle of rubbing alcohol at a reasonable price. I always have a bottle for cleaning electronics, but now we'll be cleaning them more frequently.

• moth
    edited March 2020
    Options

Good article from Fred Hutch about covid-19 and cancer patients specifically:

https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/center-news/2020/03/coronavirus-what-cancer-patients-need-to-know.html

• chowdog
    chowdog Member Posts: 190
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hello ladies, I am a lurker but have been following coronavirus since it started in China back in Dec.

Jackie, thank you for starting this discussion.

Candy, here is what i found about the incubation period, but not sure if it answers your question

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-incubation...

it sounds like symptoms start to appear in about 2 to 7 days, but could take as long as 14 days.

Also for anybody who is planning to travel, please be careful out there! I saw this last night.. This lady is trapped on Grand Princess. I hope they test her first.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/coronav...

I have a question for the group:

since we are immunocompromised and have been told to go to ER if we have fever, what if we end up with fever, (since I have lung mets, so cough and shortness of breath are typical symptoms of lung mets), will we be treated as if we have coronavirus?

• candy-678
    edited March 2020
    Options

moth- Thanks for the article.

Serenity- I too am not hysterical, but have a respect for the virus.

Chowdog- Yes. That is what I was looking for. I went out to a very busy restaurant last Tuesday. People were squished together. No illness yet. Article says 1-14 days after exposure to show symptoms, or as long as 24 days maybe. Just wondering how fast it spreads. But, scary thought, may be transmitted with someone ill but no symptoms. Great. So a friend may say, "It is ok for me to be around you, I am not sick" when in reality they may give you the illness. Ok getting hysterical now. LOL.

I think I will stay away from crowds for a while.

• candy-678
    edited March 2020
    Options

Chowdog- Since you cannot tell from the cough or shortness of breath symptoms, I don't know. I would think that they cannot/ will not test for just a fever. Would need more info---travel or knowledge of being around a positive person. I don't even know if we have test kits at our local ER--rural area and no known cases here yet.

• divinemrsm
    edited March 2020
    Options

Most definitely, the coronavirus deserves the respect of those of us here as we are all united by the breast cancer diagnosis. I'm being cautious but not to the point where I need to self quarantine. There have yet to be confirmed cases in Ohio. I was in a major hospital in Pittsburgh on Thursday and was careful to keep distance from others when possible, keep hands washed, try not to touch my face, opened doors with side of my arm, etc. Even so, there are still only a few confirmed cases in PA and they are not in the Pittsburgh area. But in a large city like that especially with the hospital being near their national airport, caution should be practiced. By the way, I've been a hand washer for years, walking in my house from anywhere and heading straight to the bathroom to clean my hands before I do anything else.

My sister will fly home from the Atlanta airport soon, and I won't be in a major hurry to meet up with her when she gets back. So I'm staying aware and yet going about my daily life. I think where you live and how your area is affected by the virus plays a big part in level of cautiousness at this point.

• chowdog
    chowdog Member Posts: 190
    edited March 2020
    Options

Moth, thank you for the article. it is very helpful.

I have been practicing good hygiene since my ANC has always been below normal. Now, I am washing my hands longer, no longer touching my face and wiping my phone, iPad, keyboard and common surface everyday. however, people around me haven't been, and there is only so much I can do.

• moth
    edited March 2020
    Options

Italy is trying massive social isolation measures to stop the spread. In 11 provinces there is no travel in & out, schools are closed, museums, theaters, cinemas - closed. Recreation centers, pools are closed. No religious ceremonies inc weddings and funerals. Shopping centers open only m-f. Google translate does a decent job with this page announcing the restrictions. They're in effect until April 3.

https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2020/03/07/news/coronavirus_chiusa_la_lombardia_e_11_province_-250570150/?ref=RHPPTP-BH-I250571072-C12-P2-S1.12-T1

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020
    Options

Self isolation of possibly infected, good hygienic practices, and social distancing seem to work in slowing the spread until a treatment or vaccine is available. Weeks ago I read that people flying into Montreal from China were isolating themselves voluntarily without having symptoms. Family and friends were bringing them food and interacting with them online. In Quebec we now have 3 cases of covid-19 all in the Montreal area. They are people who recently traveled from Iran, France, or India (note not China). There are likely more undetected because they only test people with symptoms who have possible exposure. No one has matched South Korea's testing capacity.

I live less than 20 minutes from the Montreal airport, but I'm more likely to catch the virus from public transit or from the hospital. If I get sick, my MO said to let him know. I have his email address.

• candy-678
    edited March 2020
    Options

I am not a very social person anymore anyways. So won't be too much from my norm to isolate myself. Decided to hold off going to church services for a few weeks to see how this plays out. I can worship at home. I do still need to grocery shop and pay bills---I live alone. And go to MO appts--Labs, injection, etc. But may just pare down some of my activities for a few weeks, be aware of activities planned---see how it all plays out. Better safe than sorry. Maybe we can get back to normal soon. And joke about it later.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020
    Options

I’d be happy to have my family go back to ridiculing me for complaining about people not coughing into their arm. It’s not hard!

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,586
    edited March 2020
    Options

Thanks for posting that Fred Hutch article - more than I got out of the NHS! Currently no guidance for cancer patients outside of what they are telling everyone else, so we stick to the focused handwashing and I use hand gel if I can't get to a bathroom right away to wash hands. And Im kinda stuck taking public transport, but try and at least avoid rush hour and not touch more surfaces than I need to.

Supposedly the government may announce in a week or two the elderly and others at high risk confined to home if this worsens so.. guess its back to social isolation again.

Someone in the office is returning Monday from a three week vacation to Dubai, Singapore, Cambodia and Laos. He's not the cleanest person in the best of times, probably best to give him a bit of a wide berth for now.

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 757
    edited March 2020
    Options

Mods - thanks for your message about my scans :)

Moth - thank you for posting the Fred Hutch article on Covid19 . My cancer treatment is at Seattle Cancer Care, which is part of Fred Hutch (or vice versa?).

I have a healthy respect for this virus, like all of you as I have a week or so with low white blood cells due to Ibrance. I am still working and my small community seems to have pretty normal activites but am I thinking twice about really crowded events. My husband was supposed to attend a conference in Vegas but it was canceled and my son's college just canceled in person classes so he no longer will be riding Seattle public buses. I am relieved that they will stay closer to home for a bit. In the end of March we will be flying to visit my sister, her family and my parents. I am not too worried about flying but want to stay Covid free so we don't infect my parents who are elderly!

Hope you all stay healthy and Covid free.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020
    Options

I didn’t need the travel alert, but ...

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 964
    edited March 2020
    Options

Here's my 2cents on this. I've noticed that I am much less fearful of the Corona virus than my "healthy" friends-probably because it seems much more likely I'll die of cancer than the Corona virus. I am taking precautions like washing my hands more frequently but in the past week I have attended a concert that was packed and a play that was also well attended. I've taken public transportation several times. For me, knowing I have limited time, it is more important to live my life and do things I enjoy than to worry about a disease that I likely will not get. There are 7 cases of Corona virus so far in my city-if there were hundreds I would change my habits. I've considered-what if I come down with Cororna virus? I would try and ride out a high fever for a few days if I could-I know one man who became cancer free after nearly dying from a fever. In the worst case, if I contract Corona virus and die ( I do not want to die right now), it might be better to go quickly from something like that than face a slow difficult decline from breast cancer. So I am still out enjoying life and planning to take a plane trip in March and another one in April.