Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 964
    edited March 2020
    Options

I am stepping back myself a bit now that the virus seems to be spreading my location. I still don't feel the need to be housebound but I am skipping yoga class where it seems the virus might stick to bolsters and blankets. The event I was to attend later this month has been canceled but I was a little relieved since I would be traveling through NYC. I went to Costco today. It was crazy. I don't see how the stock market can be down with all the $$ people are spending. Hope we all stay well (as well as we can be with Stage 4 Happy)

• laureninphx
    laureninphx Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2020
    Options

I canceled my trip to Chicago on April 1. I have asthma as well so it would be ugly if I got it. I was going to a baseball game at Wrigley Field (bucket list) and seeing a friend of mine I haven’t seen in years. The chances of the game allowing fans is dwindling, we probably wouldn’t eat out like we had planned, and I suspect the museums, etc. might close.

Of course, everything might be fine, but I’d rather err on the side of caution and be alive longer for my sister than go to a baseball game. It really sucks as I have other bucket list trips scheduled in May, July, and October so I’ll just have to wait and see. And hope I’m in good enough shape next year to try again.

Blah. Stay safe everyone.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,028
    edited March 2020
    Options

Lauren, I feel badly for you! You're smart to err on the side of caution, but I know it's frustrating to have been looking forward to some good times and travel and then the coronavirus comes in and takes over! Hopefully your plans further in the year will be unaffected. And I have every reason to think you will still be doing well next year to continue with your “wander list".

Something tells me when all is said and done with the coronavirus pandemic, our world does not “go back to normal". We will have a new normal and be forever changed. (Hey, kinda like getting a diagnosis of metastatic breast cancer! Sorry, couldn't resist the comment).

But it feels to me like with all these schools, colleges and workplaces instructing students and employees to stay home, and with the stock market plunge and large events getting cancelled, there is going to be a huge re-evaluation by all these different areas of our economy, and we will all move forward somewhat differently. It sounds like small businesses are really getting hammered and I feel so badly about that! So much hard work going in to making a living and then getting cut down by a pandemic of all things. Life is rough.

• finallyoverit
    finallyoverit Member Posts: 133
    edited March 2020
    Options

I originally wasn’t any more concerned about coronavirus than I am for a normal flu season, but with the more I’m reading, the more concerned I am. At my last MO appointment, (pre corona) I remember asking if I am any more immunocompromised than anyone else. I was told no, that my wbc counts were that of a non-cancer patient. I am still concerned. Bleck.. cancer, the gift that keeps on giving.

Anyone else? Thoughts?

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    edited March 2020
    Options

Definitely discouraging situation given that we’re all trying to squeeze as much life into our days as we can. It was only a matter of time but we now have our first local case. I’m seriously bummed as I have a tickets to see Michelle Obama at the end of this month. I was quite looking forward to it but now it’s a bit up in the air. It may be cancelled but, if it isn’t, do I want to spend two hours in an arena with 7000 of my closest friends? Sigh...

• mab60
    mab60 Member Posts: 365
    edited March 2020
    Options

NBA just cancelled the entire season until further notice.

Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson diagnosed with the virus. They are in Australia.

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    edited March 2020
    Options
    There are 2 cases currently in the hospital where I have my treatment. I have treatment next week. My support group is cancelled. I just cancelled a trip to Europe because I didn’t want to get stuck over there..Good thing now that no flights back from Europe for 30 days. That said I spent this winter being very careful because white count was down from chemo and I couldn’t getting flu shot. I thought I was home free.

But not to make light of this frightening time but I would be really annoyed to have reached almost three years with MBC to die of a virus. But I can still take walks outside. FaceTime my children grandchildren all over the country, talk to friends, watch the crocus bloom, watch the buds emerge on my lilac bush. Pray for everyone going through MBC. This has really made me realize Again that it’s time to look at the little things that make life beautiful.

Wishing you all good luck avoiding this and good days ahead.

DivineMrsM your comment was irresistible.Love it. Can’t make it with MBC without a sense of humor.

Maire
  • laureninphx
    laureninphx Member Posts: 138
    edited March 2020
    Options

Thanks, Divine. And yes, I agree completely that there will be a “before and after” effect. One day at a time. Medicating

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited March 2020
    Options

I canceled Jamaica trip tomorrow.

not sure we are really “safe” anywhere but i am glad to be close to medical facilities here and my docs. Just in case.

This is getting freaky

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited March 2020
    Options

I am wondering whether yoga class is risky. I have my own mat, but we all use community blankets. Could the blankets be a problem? I asked my teacher to remind people not to come to class sick, but I don’t know if the other teachers will do the same. I had to ask a coughing classmate the other day if he was sick or had allergies. He was sick! I told him, nothing personal, but I need to move, and I went to a spot on the other side of the room.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,586
    edited March 2020
    Options

Philly - thats a bummer, I so wanted to go to the beach vicariously through you! :) But better to be safe than sorry.

Divine - totally agree with that viewpoint. This is going to shake out a lot of zombie companies that were just existing (barely) on cheap money and its going to make winners out of others. But I think globalization and global movement will start to be reconsidered, especially if companies see how much money they can save by not flying people out here there and everywhere for no reason.

I noticed it was almost like a Friday in the central banking district yesterday - the line at my favorite souvlaki place for lunch was non-existent and its always at least a ten minute wait. It was even sunny out and the general volume of people seemed a lot lower for mid-week.

I was wondering if some people have already had this - if moomala's pneumonia last December was part of the first wave and we are now in the second wave of the illness going around. So many people were sick before Christmas with 'flu', including a friend of mine who is never ill - with a cough and fever that wiped him out.

I wouldnt be going near anything with sweat involved - so like the gym or yoga - that you can't wipe down yourself. Even starting to worry about the pool, although probably best to stay out of the steam room and hot tub.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,089
    edited March 2020
    Options

I too think that this may have been around for a while. We were not testing so some people with the "Flu" may have had coronavirus. It is kinda creepy--- the global response, the Stock Market, the closing of facilities. As Divine said, I think there will be a "new normal" after all this. Or at least I hope so to some degree---people thinking more about hygiene and health. But, it may be like 9/11 where churches filled up after and then after some time we went back to "normal".

I see things in a different light since the MBC diagnosis. To step cautiously. Maybe not good in a way--not "living". But I want to be around to fight the cancer, not die from some silly virus.

I also cannot help but think that using the meds we do, altering our counts and DNA, that we are more susceptible -- not like what finallyoverit's MO said. My WBC's are less than 2.0 after a week off Ibrance. Who knows what they are during the Ibrance. That cannot be good---walking around the public with less than 2.0 or even less than 1.0 white cells---even if they are in suspended animation and not totally killed off.

I am staying home from church now, cancelling volunteer committee meetings, and only going out for groceries, pharmacy, and MO visit for injections. Just the basics for now. I would rather do that than flirt with the virus. Just not worth it.

Take care all.

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 757
    edited March 2020
    Options

After some thought, my spouse and I have decided not to attend three theater performances this weekend because of my "underlying condition" and new medication. We will doubtless cancel others scheduled for the near future. I would feel like an imprudent idiot (heaven forfend) if I contracted the virus in a roomful of fellow "elders" enjoying a play. And, yes, Maire, I would be really ticked off if I were killed by a bug after outrunning the Big C all this time.

We are quite engaged with professional, not-for-profit theaters in this area as board members, advisors and volunteers. I anticipate many will soon close temporarily because of the virus. Theaters and everyone who makes and supports their work are going to take a heavy hit. If you have tickets to an upcoming performance of any sort and want to cancel, please consider not asking for a refund, but donating their cost back to the organization.

Tina

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited March 2020
    Options

Looks like I may be stuck in the East Coast for a while. Swiss will post their new flight plan later today then we'll see how I can get back home. Not too worried as insurance confirmed they will pay if I am hospitalized here. Swiss will also allow booking changes for all fare classes. I may have to reroute through the UK if allowed.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 964
    edited March 2020
    Options

Tina,

I agree we should try and keep supporting individuals and organizations whose income will be affected by this virus. I told my yoga teacher to mark me present for class-I want to keep paying to support her and the studio. Of course I will be giving to church whether I can attend or not. This is going to be really tough on people in the service industries and arts organizations, so if we can continue to support them, we can make things a little better.

• divinemrsm
    edited March 2020
    Options

I got bloodwork today at a medical express three minutes from home. No one was there and usually there are always a few stragglers.

Then went to Walmart to stock up on a few things. It also was very quiet. The toilet paper shelves were empty. Of course there are no masks available, I didn't look for them, plastic gloves or hand sanitizer, Everything else seemed fully stocked. I bought a bunch of canned cat food, a little dry pasta and a few frozen food items. It's hard to know what to buy, food wise. I really don't want to go out for groceries again in the next two weeks.

My son thinks after all is said and done, the world will want to be less dependent on China for goods. I agree with you, Sondra, that companies will see cost savings in some areas and eliminate the excess to boost profits. I even think schools and colleges may do that. Depending on how many people are affected directly and indirectly, there will also be heightened awareness on the hygiene front, as Candy says. Altho there's some truth to this:

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited March 2020
    Options

Marie67...I may have asked you his before, but where in NJ are you?

I just started some out-patient PT in the hospital here for the pain I have, but I cancelled my appointment for yesterday and will not be scheduling any further until this settles down. For now I will be doing my stretching at home. There is a confirmed case in the same town the hospital is in, so I'm sure if he/she is being treated and not self quarantined, that is where he/she will be.

Stay safe everyone.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited March 2020
    Options

My Sprouts has bacon on sale, 2.99#. Dirt cheap, a BLT sounds good! But I’m kind of afraid to go. Publix has Lysol wipes BOGO. Bet they’re cleaned out already. I should go, just don’t know what to do.

• RhosgobelRabbit
    RhosgobelRabbit Member Posts: 502
    edited March 2020
    Options

The guidelines being set forth for precautions sound like they could be written for a cancer patient, same stuff I was told in chemo class etc.

Wash hands well, carry sanitizer, avoid the sneezers, shop at off peak times, wipe down shopping carts and keep surfaces wiped down at home, avoid large crowds.

We are always at risk. We live with the what if's everyday. This virus scare for everyone else is a taste of what we all already deal with. Scary? Yes. But how much more scared do we need be from where we already are?

I get the concern, But don't think the media helps much. The common flu and cold are pandemics, I'd even call cancer a pandemic. Remember H1N1, swine flu, bird flu and those couple cases of Ebola last administration?

I take precautions going out to be as sanitary as possible so as to not get myself or anyone sick, but I won't reduce myself to cabin fever. I don't think The Stand is manifesting itself out in 2020. I want us ladies to enjoy what we have left. I think it's possible to do that responsibly :)

Edited to add: I think Our China dependency is really blaring now. It would be nice to bring manufacturing back home, especially regarding medication specifically back to the US, China is too much apart of the equation when it comes to a lot of things.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,974
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi all,

Popping in here to share with you Breastcancer.org's Breaking Special News Report: Coronavirus: What People With Breast Cancer Need to Know

We hope you find this helpful, and stay safe and healthy!

--The Mods
  • olma61
    olma61 Member Posts: 1,016
    edited March 2020
    Options

Divine, that image you posted, priceless! Thanks for a much needed laugh. Good thing children don't seem to be falling ill, but unfortunately they are carriers.

I am glad I have a full stash of gloves, alcohol, peroxide and disposable hand towels from my chemo days and I have several grocery delivery options in my area. Still, water purchases were limited yesterday...haven't needed to buy anything else that might be scarce.

Had a dental appointment yesterday which I kept but otherwise trying to minimize my trips outside.

Agree on the medication from China thing, that is a problem for so many reasons. I hope this is our wake up call to bring some of the manufacturing of essentials back home.

I had bought my blood pressure meds from an online pharmacy that did its own testing...and paid outside of insurance a few months back because of recalls that were due to contaminated ingredients from Chinese factories. Now my meds have been changed and I'm back to buying generic from chain drugstores..but the same thing (or worse) could be happening again.

We really, really need domestic suppliers with full safety monitoring for our medical and other essential supplies.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,786
    edited March 2020
    Options

Divine, Your meme was spot on! Today, I watched one of my students hug and lick a pole on our school campus! First graders and recommended health precautions? Let’s just say they’ve not reached that level of maturity yet!

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308
    edited March 2020
    Options

On Tuesday I declined an invitation to a dinner party where I didn't know 8 of the guests. Don't know whether they are well, have traveled lately etc. My friend told me I was being alarmist & ridiculous. I am on weekly chemo & the dinner is the day after chemo. She knows this.

Yesterday I had an appt with MO and he says I am the poster child of who should be very aware and not taking any chances. Even though I am very healthy, I am immune compromised because of the chemo. I don't think some people are taking this seriously, that they could pass what is for them not much more than a cold to someone like me who could end up in the hospital with serious consequences.

Hopefully we will see a flattening out of new cases soon. I'm already tired of explaining to people that I don't want to go out anywhere for a while. stay well all

• B-A-P
    B-A-P Member Posts: 409
    edited March 2020
    Options

I Don't know if I am super immune compromised because there's not a straight answer anywhere. Maybe someone here will know. I'm not on any active treatment ( and chemo was 16 months ago, rads done 10 months ago) besides letroxole and had zometa last month ( to be biannual), but at of my bloodwork last month my WBCS are 3.4 ( normal range 4.5-11 at our lab) and my Lymphocytes are 0.8 with normal range 1.5-4. My Nurse navigator wasn't very clear on my risk of infection or complications if I were to catch this. Has anyone's drs mentioned their risk when not on active treatment? I Work in a public place where right now the attitude is "I'll be fine I'll travel if I want.. I'll come in sick if I want" A co worker of mine was just on a cruise and was just in NY and even though advised to stay home for 14 days in case, has come to work everyday. I don't know if I should be asked to be written off work till this dies down, or if extra caution is sufficient. With my levels not crazy low, but not normal, I really don't know my actual risk. It's all very confusing. I've been through the Sars era and swine flu era, but I was "healthier" then.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited March 2020
    Options

GG27 - You're right to be extra cautious. Say it's doctor's orders. Pretty much all my blood counts are low.

My daughter had plans to fly to NY next week for a conference and see a Broadway show. I didn't want her to go at all, and until last night, she still planned to go. My husband thought she would be fine. I thought maybe I was being too fearful, so I popped an Ativan. A couple hours later they both changed their minds. Today Broadway has gone dark. I'm not crazy!

My hospital had its first confirmed case today. I have an appointment there tomorrow with my kinesiologist. My husband will drive us so we don't need to take public transit and can leave the hospital immediately.

We're up to 13 confirmed cases now. That doesn't include an unknown number of cases from community spread or asymptomatic persons. They only test those with symptoms and travel history to outbreak areas or exposure to a confirmed person.

More events are getting cancelled. At least one university has suspended classes. Public buildings like community centres and libraries are closing.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020
    Options

B- A-P - Your co-worker is being irresponsible. Is it possible for you to work from home? I don’t know how risky the disease would be for you. 80% have mild symptoms. I just don’t want to risk being in the 20% that would need hospitalization.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020
    Options

I’m a little selfish. If I need a hospital bed, I’d like there to be space.

• divinemrsm
    edited March 2020
    Options

GG, that “friend” really does not get the gravity of your situation. She is clueless about challenges living with metastatic breast cancer. I’ve never been one to care for the phrase “battling breast cancer” until recently when I realized the battle sometimes lies not always with the disease in our bodies but with the outside world of even close friends and family who want to insist nothing bad is going to happen to us. They do not understand compromised health. They’re miffed that our disease is intruding on their good times. Yes, that’s part of the “battle” of breast cancer. Staying alive in the face of others’ indifference. Learning to place a premium value on our lives because if we don’t, who will?You are smart to stand your ground and protect you health, your life. Your friend will have to live with her disappointment.

• B-A-P
    B-A-P Member Posts: 409
    edited March 2020
    Options

Serenitiystat,

Nope. I work in a Physio and wellness clinic. When I brought up the idea of limiting who came through the doors ( anyone with symptoms or have travelled out of province for within the last 2 weeks) he said " tell your nurse she doesn't know how to run a business obviously"

Ugh.

I've been getting emails from my dentist office, place I get my hair done, etc saying they can't come if they are sick or have been travelling. It's common sense. I had a client hack into his hands and hand me money. I was speechless. I'm going to have t o bring up again that people waling through the doors should at least be sanitizing their hands. I have been encouraging people on my own that if they're sick, to stay home, but more ppl than not come anyway. They have the mindset that they'll be fine without really thinking that others around them may not. I m 32 and look way younger. It doesn't occur to them that my immune system isn't tip top. its quite aggravating.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,586
    edited March 2020
    Options

We had a truly surreal call yesterday at work with 'leadership' giving an update that wasn't an update more than parroting back what the government is saying. Oh and an update on the hand sanitizer stocks. They were talking about shifting teams in and out of the building and all these complicated approaches when its like look, you don't get it, you aren't going to GET a chance to make these 'decisions'. The virus will do it for you, probably in the next two weeks. So between the hot desking, the sick colleagues, the noisy building refurbishment and closing of some bathrooms (great timing!), and a deadly virus, I'm just going to stay home from now on. This job already cost me part of my life, Im not going to give it the chance to finish me off. Line manager is out with a cold now anyway (which she insists isn't CV - but how can you really tell?) so ill just keep on keepin' on.

There is a good Op Ed in the Washington Post today about a guy with psoriatic arthritis and sure, he LOOKS healthy and does all this active stuff like skiing and climbing mountains, but the biologics hes on to manage it are brutal and he is immunocompromised. It was a plea for people to remember even though folks look fine they quite possibly aren't and its on all of us to help out the situation by not being assholes and washing hands, etc. I thought of all us here and how true that is. And if you aren't 'out' about the particulars about your cancer its even harder - I just tell people I'm in the 'higher risk' group and leave it at that.

The government here is taking a risky tack - they ought to be thankful we are coming into spring/summer and not fall/winter because at least the sun is shining and the days are getting longer.

Im not due back to the hospital for another two weeks, will be interesting to see what the state is at that point!