Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,089
    edited March 2020
    Options

Chicagoan- I like your attitude on the subject. "For me, knowing I have limited time, it is more important to live my life and do things I enjoy than to worry about a disease that I likely will not get." Such a true statement. I live in Southern Illinois -- you are Chicago. But I see the map of 1 or more cases in Missouri, Indiana, Kentucky---all around our area. I am thinking what irony if my cancer is stable and I go out of the game from coronavirus or influenza or etc. I feel the same way in the height of the flu season, so I am not just stressing over coronavirus. I wish I could chill. Give me some of your attitude. I don't travel-planes or cruises-never have so that is not an issue for me. It is the crowds in my daily schedule that I am concerned about. Hope this latest thing calms down soon. I don't like summer, but I am ready for it this year.

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,741
    edited March 2020
    Options

Excellent point, Chicagoan- a high fever can be a good thing for a cancer patient, although of course it needs to be controll-able and come down eventually.

PS Apparently Tamiflu does NOT work against the Coronavirus- but there are other antiretroviral (anti-HIV) drugs that look like they might, and these are being tested right now

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,786
    edited March 2020
    Options

You are spot on, Chicagoan

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    edited March 2020
    Options

I agree Chicagoan to a point. I am still going about things as normally as possible. However, I am watching the situation carefully and if things begin to ramp up in my city I will likely adjust, work from home etc. While I know that MBC will take me out eventually, I'm doing well right now. The tricky thing is that CDK inhibitors have an immunosuppressive effect - even Abemaciclib - so my white counts are low, my lymphocytes are low and my neutrophils are just above normal. Secondly, I have pleural mets which have never completely resolved. This seems to leave me susceptible to lung issues. Case in point, I went to Europe in 2018, taking a cruise as part of my bucket list trip. Despite all my precautions I caught the bug that was making the rounds by the end of the trip. In my case, it turned into pneumonia. (At that point I was on Faslodex only and beyond the lung/bone mets was healthy as a horse. I rarely take sick time, even now.) I don’t recall ever being that sick in my life. I could barely function.Prefer not to repeat that!

• exbrnxgrl
    edited March 2020
    Options

I think we all need to have a heightened awareness of the situation as it seems to be quickly evolving. Those who are drugs that cause you to be immunosuppressed should follow CDC or local health department advice. I’m only on an AI, but I emailed my mo to ask if there was anything specific I need to be aware of other than the general recommendations. My county is not closing schools for now but recommends that school districts cancel large events. A large school district in the Sacramento area announced it would be closing for one week. Now, how to convince my first graders to stop hugging me? All county school districts are on a total no touch policy. No hugs, no high fives; two things that first graders love

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,741
    edited March 2020
    Options

exbrngrl- sounds like a good time to institute something new -- elbow bumps?

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited March 2020
    Options

exbrnxgrl - Have you tried teaching them the Wuhan shake where they use their feet? They would probably love it.

I am all for enjoying life, and I know it's unlikely I'll die from covid-19. But I would prefer not to need isolation except in my own home. I don't need to travel at this time, and I live in a tourist destination anyway. Even with my low blood counts, I still take public transit and risk getting sick because I'm more likely to get lost or in an accident if I drive.

There are now 4 reported cases in Montreal, but they have tested only about 350 people in Quebec. I read Ohio has no confirmed cases, but they've tested fewer than 20 people. I wouldn't take comfort in a low number of cases in your area. Russia is reporting 7. Epidemiologists estimate 40-70% of the world will be infected.

It's a public health issue. Measures need to be taken to slow the number infected to moderate the impact on the health care system. There's no known treatment, no built-in immunity, and no vaccine. I hope the vaccine is available in a year because I would like to go back to Italy once it's out of lockdown. I can wait.

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited March 2020
    Options

moth definitely get to Italy when you can! I went last May and it was soooo wonderful!

I am sick!! Chicagoan- yes interesting about the ability to actually spark a high fever! I don’t think I’ve been able to get higher than 100 for many years. Is this a side effect of MBC and our immune systems being less apt at recognizing infections? Or cancer? Such a mind trip!

I know this may sound wooowooo to some but my my sister, who is an astrologer, is going to consult my chart and ask the angel oracles what I should do! Do I have a “staycation” or do I go and maybe get stuck there or maybe face quarantine upon my return? Or am I unreasonably freaking out? My family is urging me not to go and I just don’t want give in!!!

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020
    Options

Philly - Moth and I have similar avatars. ;) Where were you in Italy? I was in Rome 2 years ago. My husband may have a conference in northern Italy next summer. As far as going to Jamaica while sick, I would not go. A family here was removed from a flight because other passengers complained one of them was coughing and may have covid-19 (I swear it wasn't me). I remember during SARS I was afraid my husband would be prevented from flying home from Toronto because he had a slight cough. I agree with your family. I hope you feel better soon.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,586
    edited March 2020
    Options

Philly - could you split the difference and maybe drive down to the Keys or north Florida or something?

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625
    edited March 2020
    Options

I called my MO's office and asked what I needed to be doing. I do not live in an area where coronavirus has been diagnosed. I was told to follow CDC guidelines. I was also told that I should be using pick up services from places like Walmart and Kroger where available to reduce some of the contact and also to wipe my phone down with disinfecting wipes since phones are notoriously filthy. Hand sanitizer needs to be 60% alcohol or higher.

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited March 2020
    Options

Here are live updates on the coronavirus.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• LoriCA
    LoriCA Member Posts: 671
    edited March 2020
    Options

Something to keep in mind when making travel plans - there is a Stage IV woman on one of the cruise ships that is being held here off the coast of California after 21 people were confirmed with Covid-19. People ask why she would even get on a cruise right now but I'm sure it was a bucket list trip that she planned before all of this broke out, and I know that many of the cruise lines weren't allowing people to get a refund if they cancelled, although I think most have since changed that policy. The woman is scheduled for her next chemo on Wednesday of this week. They are supposed to be finally disembarking today but it may take a couple days for them to get everyone off, between the people who are being taken directly to a hospital, the 1000 California residents who will go into quarantine here, and the out of state people, including this woman, who are being sent to their home states. She will have to go directly into quarantine for two weeks. No word yet if they are going to make arrangements to send people in PPE to give her chemo while she's in quarantine.

• LoveFromPhilly
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi Lori!

I did see that!

And I am in the midst of a possible treatment change...so many balls up in the air.

Serenity - omg! I totally got your avatars mixed up! They are similar! And both very cool! Thanks for your input and weigh in on the Jamaica trip.

Going to go get my brain swabbed at the MOs office to check for the flu and cold virus since I’m down for the count here anyway.

Ugh what a mess

• RhosgobelRabbit
    RhosgobelRabbit Member Posts: 502
    edited March 2020
    Options

Chicagoan, you share my attitude and thoughts regarding corona. I'm accepting full on hugs and giving full on hugs at church or when I see acquaintances. Considering what I'm facing now I'm really not freaked out by or afraid of corona at all. Time is not my friend, I don't want to miss out on things being afraid. Alittle more hand sanitizer in my pocket these days and I avoid the sneezers, but that's about it. We tell each other living with MBC to live life, I think this should be treated the same, things coulda woulda shoulda with us all the time being compromised always being in treatment before this virus even showed up. Balancing between awareness and living sounds good to me :

• LoveFromPhilly
    edited March 2020
    Options

sondraf wanted to say thank you for your input! I LOVE the idea of a drive down to the Florida keys!! I may just do this...I have a bestie who turned 50 today and she and I are dreaming of laying like beached whales somewhere warm together. This MAY be the reasonable answer! However, she lives in Oregon and they’ve just declared a state of emergency so we have to see how that will all play out.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited March 2020
    Options

There is a cruise ship just docked at Port Everglades supposed to have a few positive ppl on it. South Florida has had a death from it. You can’t get to the Keys without going through Miami.Unless you fly. I’d stay put

• LoriCA
    LoriCA Member Posts: 671
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi Philly (waving)! Good luck with your swabbing, hope no cold or flu virus has caught up to you. And sorry to hear about the possible treatment change, that's news that no one wants to hear. Hugs! Pretty sure we don't have to worry about virtual hugs ;)

• LoveFromPhilly
    edited March 2020
    Options

thanks Lori! It is so good to virtually see you too!

So I tested positive for influenza b!! I am honestly so surprised!! I feel unwell but not like death flu.

They also swabbed for strep and will find out these results tomorrow.

My MO said I am clear to go on trip! Also a major surprise! They gave me tamiflu which I am about to start... from my understanding, the tamiflu will help me fight the virus since my white blood cells are low. Does anyone else have experience with tamiflu? I haven’t taken the first dose yet.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited March 2020
    Options

Although I am not personally taking measures beyond what I normally do during cold and flu season, all school districts in my county are following guidelines set by our county health department. Several events involving large groups of people have been canceled, though may be rescheduled later. No more hugging students and we practiced elbow bumps instead of high fives. What I do, in terms of precautions, is my choice but I would never jeopardize the health of students or colleagues so full compliance with health dept. guidelines it is

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,028
    edited March 2020
    Options

One can toggle between the two different perspectives in approaching this virus and understand where each is coming from: those like Chicagoan taking precautions yet still going about and enjoying daily life with less fear and others like Sadiesservant hoping to avoid unnecessary complications, pulling back some and riding things out for awhile.

The stock market in free fall is a different kind of scary......

I had an onc appt in Pittsburgh yesterday and won't need to return until May which I'm glad of because there seems a much greater chance of corona lurking in the hospital there than back home in my small neck of the woods. Three confirmed cases in Ohio now, up in the Cleveland area several hours north of me: a couple who were on a Nile River cruise and a man who attended a political rally in D.C., all in their 50s. But no confirmed deaths in the state yet. I'm early 60s with underlying health condition which is one demographic being advised that we are more susceptible so I'm mindful about the situation.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,028
    edited March 2020
    Options

One piece of advice I read from “an expert" this morning gave me a chuckle:

“And above all, don't get on a cruise ship."

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,586
    edited March 2020
    Options

Just got a work email that next Tuesday the whole office has to WFH so that IT can test the systems. Suspect it will be 100% WFH here in two weeks, but at least they are taking it seriously. Someone on my team got tested as he had symptoms and had traveled to Japan - came back negative but I do wonder at the sensitivity of these tests.

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026
    edited March 2020
    Options

Divine, I heard that too, “Don't get on a cruise ship.” Well we have a cruise booked for the end of May for Scandinavia and Baltic Sea countries. Thankfully the company has given rebooking allowances but we’re going to give it some time to see what’s going on at the end of April. Leaning to rebooking for a year later but as with all of us my health is a big unknown a year from now

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 746
    edited March 2020
    Options

Thank you for the great advice on here!

I'm being more cautious and have menus planned out for a couple of weeks. I may get in another grocery store trip as no one local has been diagnosed with it yet. Hiking is a solitary activity so I plan to continue heading out into the woods.

My husband is quite social with work and volunteer stuff. He's also gone out shopping for hand sanitizer and gloves. Then he asked our carpenter friend to to come in and help with a house renovation project. I'm not a big fan of company right now. I'm sure our friend will think I'm quite anti social...

A funny post popped up the other day. "Wash your hands like you've been chopping jalapenos and you need to put in your contacts"...don't know how long my skin will last if I'm scrubbing that hard.

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020
    Options

From another thread, measures by our governments and us must be taken now to prevent overwhelming our healthcare systems:

"There's an old brain teaser that goes like this: You have a pond of a certain size, and upon that pond, a single lilypad. This particular species of lily pad reproduces once a day, so that on day two, you have two lily pads. On day three, you have four, and so on. Now the teaser. "If it takes the lily pads 48 days to cover the pond completely, how long will it take for the pond to be covered halfway?"

The answer is 47 days.

Moreover, at day 40, you'll barely know the lily pads are there. ---That grim math explains why so many people — including me — are worried about the novel coronavirus, which causes a disease known as covid-19. And why so many other people think we are panicking over nothing." https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/10...

• SerenitySTAT
    edited March 2020
    Options

In Montreal at least one of the confirmed cases took the metro and bus before being diagnosed. Community spread is inevitable. A COVID-19 testing clinic (appointment only) opened yesterday. This can minimize spread by keeping suspected cases away from regular clinics and hospitals. I wish the universities downtown would go online.

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited March 2020
    Options

My son has spring break this week but they were told not to come back next week and that classes will be available online.

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited March 2020
    Options

I teach at a law school and we are on spring break next week -- going completely online after break, and supposed to be teaching electronically probably for the rest of the semester.

Works for me. Students tend to come to school sick no matter how much you tell them to stay home.

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    edited March 2020
    Options