Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Options

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,942
    Options

Just watched night #2 of The Duggars. I found the first night disturbing & the second night horrifying! These are extremely sick people with a frightening agenda. I was interested to hear of their connection to Mike Huckebee…..

• cardplayer
    cardplayer Member Posts: 2,051
    Options

Ruthbru/Devinemrsm - finished episode 2 of Shiny Happy People. Wondering if Bill Gothard and Jim Bob are both groomers? Jim Bob certainly enabled son Josh and is probably enabling the rest of his sons. Not sure what’s wrong with wife Michelle that she allowed her daughters to be molested and had them lie about it for ratings. Guess it’s part of being a subservient wife. ICK.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,141
    Options

I have become my own version of an optimist.  If I can't make it through one door, I'll go through another door--or I'll make a door.  Something terrific will come no matter how dark the present.

Rabindranath Tagore

• illinoislady
    Options
    Does America need saving from the Quiverfull movement?

America Tonight speaks with women on either side of the controversial movement

February 12, 2016 2:06PM ETby Adam May   @adammaytv & Melissa May   @MelissaMayTweet

More than 170 million American adults identify as Christian, spread among hundreds of denominations, and a fundamentalist Christian movement known as Quiverfull has drawn a lot of attention in recent years. Its adherents believe in building big families — a philosophy they say is rooted in Psalm 127, “Blessed is the man who hath his quiver full.”

While some families say Quiverfull has helped them find happiness, others who have quit the movement say it’s exploitative. America Tonight spoke with people on both sides of the controversial movement.  

Nancy Campbell, the leader

Nancy Campbell is a leader of the Quiverfull movement in the US. America Tonight

One of the leaders of the Quiverfull movement is Nancy Campbell, a charismatic 75-year-old New Zealand native who is the mother of 10 children — six biological and four adopted. We met her at her home, an hour outside Nashville, Tennessee, where she enthusiastically turned to the book of Psalms in her well-worn Bible and read aloud. 

“‘As arrows in the hand of a mighty man, so are children of our youth,’” she read. “Then it goes on to say, ‘Blessed is the man who hath his quiver full of them’ …because they will have children who they have raised to be mighty young men and women of God.”

Campbell runs Above Rubies, a glossy quarterly magazine, from her office in the basement of her large rural home. The magazine, which she started 35 years ago, bills itself as “full of godly wisdom for mother and wife,” promoting “Christian procreation” and urging women to “birth as many babies as God grants.” The website reports that 160,000 copies of Above Rubies are circulated worldwide.

She laments that young men and women are increasingly making the decision not to have children.

“They’ve been brainwashed that they've got to get out in their career and they can't stay at home looking after some children ... Sadly, there are many, many women today who are cutting off the function of their womb,” she said. “And yet, this is who they are, who God created them to be.”

Campbell raised her 10 children. Now they have children of their own. She says her flock now includes 42 grandchildren.

But her philosophy is more than just a celebration of motherhood. The Campbell clan is leading what she describes as a necessary fight against the rise of non-Christian religions. She fears that a low birth rate among Christians means that others, such as Muslims, will outpopulate them.

“We pray for Muslim people that they will come to faith in Christ,” she said.

Books and articles promoting Quiverfull and Christian homeschooling are on display in her office. She also has a collection of politically charged literature that claims Islam is not a religion of peace and warning that holy war is coming to America.

“I have nothing against Islamic people,” she said, “The thing is, it depends whether America wants to stay America or be an Islamic America.”  

• illinoislady
    Options

This is an older article, and there are more leaders than Nancy Campbell. She thinks (must mainly be talking about white people here I'd say) that horror of horrors we won't stay as America or Americans or something. Well, I think that sounds more like an odd excuse meant to be upsetting to people to lure them into maybe accepting some of the rest of the trash she is peddling in the name of religion.

It is just ridiculous in this day and age to have more children than you can support. The Duggars were more successful in life because they agreed to be on television. Not only did they I'm sure receive a great income, but they were also able to get great coverage for their personal religion. I would hope for anyone who they may have inspired that way more saw it as the horror story it really is and has been.

I still say the law of averages is going to give you plenty of negatives to deal with if you are so foolish and not to mention the food banks and other help you might need in order to GET your Quiver full. Completely ridiculous, dangerous, and a horror story waiting to happen.

• illinoislady
    Options

Oops to you.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

His life story now.

• illinoislady
    Options

The good karma train already left the station and your not on it. 🍺Here's to the karma that is coming.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    edited June 2023
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

I am very glad about Meadows. Why oh why, did he and so many people choose to ruin their careers and life for the likes of the Loon. I'm sure the Loon is always looking for what is in it for him. Those around him seem so often to lose the power of much of ANY sight. They just march on and don't even look at what they are stepping in all the time with the Loon. I will be glad to see Meadows have to take a fall.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,010
    edited June 2023
    Options

I love hearing the feedback from those of you watching Shiny Happy People. cardplayer, ICK is right!

Jackie, you’re right about the Duggars making big money from their show. It’s been said well over $10 million. It’s on record that before they became reality stars, they had food shortages and went hungry and lived in a tiny house which is where the molestation of the daughters by their brother happened. Then they started showing up on national television pretending as tho their lives were perfect because they were following God’s plan for their lives. But it was all a big farce.

Quiverful’s Nancy Campbell has horrid views. I’m not sure why it is that certain types of Christians are dead set on pushing their beliefs on others. Why in the hell can they not simply believe and leave it at that? Why can’t they come and go to church and live their lives as they choose without pressuring non-believers or other-kinds-of-believers to become a Christian? Why does it have to be a matter of always recruiting more, more, more?

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,126
    edited June 2023
    Options

Because they are hellbent on saving your soul, Divine, as if you do not possess the wherewithal to do it on your own. So many of the Christian religions are just fronts for cults: Christian Scientists, Jehovah's, Mormons, etc. My DB thought it was his right to proselytize any chance he got by leaving the Watch Tower in my bathroom and my mother's. I told him I was going to use it as toilet paper and my mother, a convert to Catholicism (meaning she sat at the right hand of the pope), told him she demanded equal time and would provide him with the Monitor (Catholic newspaper). He eventually stopped but when his oldest daughter was beaten by her fiance who was also a Jehovah, the elders told him that it was within his rights. My brother did nothing but my niece broke off the engagement. I had no respect from him after that. Love him, but don't like him.

As far as Mike Huckabee, just look at his daughter to see what he has inflicted that state with. A woman who would permit minors to work in high risk occupations like we see in 3rd world countries. Neither is admirable or worthy of my attention. I am just glad I don't live there.

• illinoislady
    Options

Nodding my head yes. Almost every person I know, no matter where I've lived had the intelligence to, if wanted, find a place to worship in the religion of their choice. I say it that way because the one who surprised me,( a black lady I admired and took my Realtor's License course with) after she moved here, went to several of our Churches, several denominations) and chose one of those because the black Church she said had sermons that were too long. Don't recall what Church she chose, but I guess the one that had the shortest programs/sermon.

Divine, I really do think of cult when these hugely strict religions are followed. You are no longer your own person at all. When one religion/person is making all the rules and you MUST obey, you have already lost. If God thinks you so stupid, you need a supreme leader to help you maintain control because you can't do it on your own.

I also think it says more if you live your religion yourself and skip the part where you try to shove it on me. If it makes you a better person I don't care much what religion you use. Even if your a Jehovah's Witness. Of course, I'm going to be real put out if you keep coming to my house. My sister went to their Church and I never understood just why. I do know at her size she was not a candidate to do the pamphlet door to door presentations. They never gave gifts — they gave love offerings. Sounded to me like they all got out of the typical gift-giving holidays. That said, some of that is actually good for slowing the commercialized aspect, but too much of the rest was weird in my books.

My son was atheist. So I have seen a lot in the religious/non-religious world. Jeff was a good person even though he lost his faith. In fact, a few times I even thought he seemed better when he gave up on traditional religions.

• ruthbru
    Options

I think most of the people at the top of the 'you must do as I say' religions are charismatic con-artists. They are in it for power, control, and financial gain. Mother Theresa, Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Jimmy Carter…..people who actually were religious in the best sense of the word, lived their lives in the service of others.

• ruthbru
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

Ruth, your meme is perfect. Gotta live someone who loves ice cream.

• divinemrsm
    Options

betrayal, illinoislady and ruth, you all make such excellent points, all of which I agree with!

Betrayal, thank goodness your niece got out of the relationship. Imagine a religion that claims beating someone is within your rights! Ungodly.

Jackie, I’ve had so many people try to get me to attend their church and I think the same thing: I know where all the churches are! If I wanted to go to one, I know how to get myself there!

I think this is the first time I’ve heard you mention your son Jeff.

Ruth, love your remark about and list of those who lived in the service of others.

• divinemrsm
    Options

The following is a good excerpt from yesterday’s post by Heather Cox Richardson. I was glad to read that CNN ousted their CEO. The post explains and also goes on to discuss how some journalists try to “bothsides” political stories, offering equal time to both sides. (I like having a name for it.) Totally agree that this bothsides is the wrong approach.

—————-
    In other news, CNN has parted ways with Chris Licht, its chief executive officer and chair, who had sought to move the network to what he considered the center of American politics. He had done so by highlighting “both sides” of today’s political arguments, firing leading journalists he thought too far on the left and centering Trump in a town hall that became the former president’s triumphant reentry to the political stage as he lied and bullied the interviewer. Some pundits have taken Licht’s fall as a sign that there is no longer a powerful center in American politics, but my own guess is the opposite: that most of us want news based in reality rather than media giving platforms to people who are openly lying.

Yale scholar of authoritarianism Timothy Snyder today applied this idea to coverage of the destruction of the Nova Kakhovka Dam in Ukraine, which has rained down humanitarian, ecological, and economic disaster on Ukrainians as they appear to be launching a counteroffensive to the Russian invasion of their country. 

Snyder warned journalists not to “bothsides” the story by offering equal time to both sides. “What Russian spokespersons have said has almost always been untrue, whereas what Ukrainian spokespersons have said has largely been reliable. The juxtaposition suggests a false equality,” he wrote. “The story doesn't start at the moment the dam explodes. For the last fifteen months Russia has been killing Ukrainian civilians and destroying Ukrainian civilian infrastructure, whereas Ukraine has been trying to protect its people and the structures that keep them alive.” “Objectivity does not mean treating an event as a coin flip between two public statements,” he said. “It demands thinking about the objects and the settings that readers require for understanding amidst uncertainty.”

• cardplayer
    Options
  • cardplayer
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

We receive from life, from every experience, from each interaction, according to what we have given. When we commit ourselves fully to an experience, it will bless us. When we give ourselves wholly to any moment, our awareness of reality will be heightened.

Karen Casey

Each Day A New Beginning.

• illinoislady
    Options

As to Heather Cox Richardson and Licht and his 'news realities' in the main. I thought CNN was doing some of the 'balanced' both sides coverage before Licht came on the scene, and if so it is likely why he took on the opportunity to lead CNN.

I don't think I've ever appreciated that style. Rachel Maddow says not to listen to what they say — watch what they do. Just means if I know you're a crook (Loon) no one who believes in you will be able to convince me to do it as well. I realize there are two sides to every story but if you're a crook on one side, you will also be one on the other. One may gain a few tidbits of information not previously known, but it won't change anything and is mainly a waste of time better spent somewhere else.

I wonder if CNN can be saved. Licht sure highlighted the Peter Principle.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

What Clarence Darrow had to say about some deaths:

“I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.”-- Clarence Darrow

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options