Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Options

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 35,559
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

Good depiction of this one who has almost always looked like a derelict.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

Trump's worm has been starving for a long time.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

Nice to see but still a long way out. It is indeed good that the media is presenting the truth for now. Sure would be nice if they would do it a lot more often.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,175
    edited May 11
    Options

Fantastic memes this morning, Jackie,,and I agree with all of them.

I don’t know how Republicans convince so many people that the Dems are responsible for Trump’s failures, like the wall. And Steve Bannon.

I dropped out of my garden club earlier this year. The members are all polite, well respected women in town, but also all Christian Republicans. (I didn’t realize that when I joined). I can no longer physically participate because of limitations from leg surgery last October, but I’d have found another reason to quit if that hadn’t happened. I still get the group texts they send, and they’re currently bellyaching about the price of annual and perennial flowers. It’s irritating, because all the women are very well off. Two have beautiful homes on the best street in town along the river. One lives on a other prime real estate street and spends her winters at a second home in Arizona. In fact, all have nice homes, nice cars, nice things, no money worries. None have ever had to support their families on their income alone. They’re all married to men who have always made really good money. But they want to bitch about flower prices because they are brainwashed by Republican rhetoric. They want to find some flaw with President Biden’s administration. And the truth is, flower prices aren’t bad if you shop around.

• illinoislady
    Options

Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous.

Albert Einstein

• illinoislady
    Options

Oh how I would love to have the problem of gripping about the cost of plants and flowers. Best be glad their gardeners haven't asked for a raise. Likely they do need some reason to find fault. That is if you're going to be a really good Reps.

You're likely better off not to partake anymore Divine. I spent many years working ( housekeeper) for families very well off and at the end, while I've really enjoyed and even loved some of the people like my friend Jo, I'm much happier with what has been monetarily a much poorer life. I do think you can get many perspectives if you can't keep up with the Joneses let alone the Smiths. It seems they (and many are indeed Reps.) often lose sight of the perspectives people with a bit less are so easily able to view. We have a whole other take on empathies I do believe. My gripes when they come are not "keeping up with the Joneses gripes" but are just 'trying' to keep up gripes. That is my different perspective.

• illinoislady
    Options

Coming this Monday.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    edited May 11
    Options

Hmmm. Lawrence O'Donnell, you're pretty good at this. I like it.

• illinoislady
    Options

same as Trump.

• illinoislady
    Options

So about Melania's Be Best program. I guess she is best at being a 'hooker' wife. Just another lesson in be careful in what you ask for.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,175
    Options

I swear I posted this article earlier, but I don’t see it, so will try again. It’s written by Rick Wilson of The Lincoln Project. While I’ll feel uneasy and worried until President Biden is reelected, many of us feel that way, this op-ed offers a glimpse of hope that we are making a dent in the Maga movement. I will never get all pumped up and confident that they are beaten, but maybe, just maybe we can turn a corner and move more people away from the insanity that is Maga.

op-ed

MAY 9, 2024

Rick Wilson: The Coming MAGA Crash

For all its seeming dominance in Republican politics, the MAGA movement is cracking up. 

For nearly a decade, MAGA has been the unstoppable force in Republican politics. With dear leader Donald Trump at its helm, the new breed of post-conservative Republicans believed in obeisance to Trump, owning the libs, and that the real enemy was inside the party: establishment Republicans. 

Even before Trump, conservative politicos and media outlets found a psychological exploit that worked like gangbusters with Republican voters, telling the most affluent and privileged generations of American conservatives they were an oppressed minority, the victims of Big Liberalism. They portrayed the opposition not as liberal but as evil. 

The confluence of Trump’s arrival on the political scene, social media’s algorithmic necromancy in the brains of conservative voters (“My cousin’s mother-in-law posted that Hillary is a cannibal pedophile on Facebook …it must be true!”), and the endless drumbeat of Fox’s agitprop detailing how we’re moments away from the apocalypse brought on by George Soros, Antifa, immigrants, Black Lives Matter, or the War on Christmas separated millions of Americans from rationality and clarity. 

As the nationalists, hyper-populists, isolationists, conspiracists, Putin fanboys, and way-too-online cranks replaced the old establishment, the MAGA party kept losing races but never losing the goal of purging anyone without suitable loyalty to Trump.

Donald Trump is not the formidable force he was in 2016 or 2020. He’s an angry, sleepy, and embattled old man stuck in courtrooms, not the swaggering strongman dancing and japing in front of 30,000 people at rally after rally. While happy warriors Joe Biden and Kamala Harries campaign across swing states, Trump’s political options are narrowing.

His fundraising is diminished; he’s lost over 200,000 small donors and even his most ardent supporters know their contributions aren’t being used to re-elect Trump but to pay his lavish legal bills. In April, Nikki Haley notched around 17% of the vote in Pennsylvania despite being out of the race for weeks. 

Trump lost the message reach he enjoyed before: stuck in the social media hinterlands of Truth Social, he reaches just 7 million people today, as opposed to the almost 90 million he had on Twitter before his ousting in 2021. In 2016, he was able to set and drive a narrative against Hillary Clinton, and millions of GOP voters amplified it. Now, that superpower is gone. 

Even Fox News is showing the strain of covering for him. Of course, they still can’t risk hosting him live on their air because they’re terrified of the pending Smartmatic lawsuits and stung from the multi-billion dollar Dominion Voting Systems settlement. 

The MAGA media ecosystem, from Fox to bottom-feeder weirdos like the Gateway Pundit, has seen cataclysmic dropoffs in their view counts online. Some of this is due to changes in the Facebook algorithm, but it goes beyond Mark Zuckerberg spinning the dials behind the scenes. Reasoned and principled conservative argumentation may be boring to some, but replacing it with Catturd and boomer MAGA memes might have been a mistake. 

After nearly a decade of breathless excuse-making for Trump and assertions about Democrats that routinely included treason, corruption, pedophilia, and global conspiracies to force us to all eat bugs, the bit is tired. When the Rapture never comes, the flock gets restless.

Finally, Trump is like the drunken uncle at the party; he’s increasingly embarrassing, even for many Republicans. They’re tired of making excuses, tired of explaining away the crazy, and tired of defending the indefensible. He’ll always have his base, but many in that base repel the more moderate Republicans and independents. The Dobbs decision and Trump’s boasting over ending Roe v. Wadehave cut deeper into the more affluent demos in the GOP than he cares to admit. 

Republican elected officials, staring political mortality in the face, are starting to get it. 

Mike Johnson, whatever his reasons, decided not to take the blame for Russian tanks rolling in Kyiv and passed a bipartisan Ukraine aid bill. Mitch McConnell worked with Chuck Schumer and President Biden to roll up a much bigger win for the bill in the Senate than anyone expected. 

Just two weeks ago, we learned James Comer, the Savanarola of the endless House impeachment hearings against President Biden, told colleagues he wants to put it all behind him.

The MAGA political and media stars like Marjorie Taylor Green and Stave Bannon are howling with outrage, to no avail. If Greene could have taken Johnson, she would have. Bannon is in a fury that America stood with Ukraine over Russia, but the vote is done, and American arms are flowing to Ukraine. 

Unable to self-correct, they’ll scream louder instead of acting smarter. They’re terrorists holding unloaded guns.

Every political movement has an arc. MAGA’s arc is now on the downslope. 

The cracks in the machine’s armor are showing, still loud, still formidable inside the GOP, and still dangerous in intent and consequence. The internal contradictions, factions, and competing agendas are nothing compared to the loss of Donald Trump’s power and image. 

Can Trump still win in November? Absolutely. Would the consequences be a political and civic nightmare? Worse than we can imagine. No one who believes in the Republic or representative democracy should take him lightly. Ask Hillary Clinton if you doubt me. 

But for all that, the movement he spawned is exhausted, shrinking, and high on its own supply. 

The MAGA crackup is coming. Be there. It will be wild.

Rick Wilson is a former Republican strategist and co-founder of The Lincoln Project.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,330
    Options

The MAGA crackup is the rapture I desire. Anybody else with me? Great article, divine and loved the memes.
    The poem attributed to Lawrence O'Donnell is masterful and describes him in a nutshell.

• illinoislady
    Options

Wow, Divine — it was worth the wait. Glad you checked and got this in here. I tend to think the article does have good info. The number of Reps. (many known names like Paul Ryan for instance) though I don't think much of him, never did and never will, are openly letting it be known that they are washing their hands of Trump. I've thought myself for a while that many of the so called Maga people are very exhausted. How long can you lose, lose, lose and not have a great epiphany that what you have done and are doing isn't working. How long can you hide from yourself and the ideals and principles you displayed for such a long time. How long can you keep walking forward just to lose again.

Much like you I'll be holding my breath and feeling the dread and fear as we get closer to the election. That is in part because I'm hoping the Democrats make a VERY clean sweep of things, but also just because we have been forced to (while Maga and the Reps. went to the nth extremes) put up with having nothing but Trump invading our space one way or the other every day. Having to put up with the GOP that got away with so much when Trump was in the WH and then having the same group doing nothing but causing constant turmoil and trouble when he was gone.

I will be concerned that we get rid of as many of the troublemakers as we can because even if a turn around begins I would never be able to feel much comfort in many — like Comer, Jordan, Greene, Gatze, Scalise and the like if they remained. Also lastly nervous about any write-in. Hoping that those Reps. who have said they will vote for Pres. Biden actually will. I hope more than those saying it may end up doing it. It's the sane thing.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,194
    Options

Off topic, but we went out in the country last night looking for the Northern Lights, which were stunning!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,991
    Options

I don’t have a bucket list as I was fortunate in my younger and healthier days to have done a great many amazing things. The Aurora Borealis is the one last thing I’d like to see. I actually have a fantasy about traveling to Norway to see it. It must have been amazing!

• ruthbru
    Options

It really was; and what also was neat was that we weren't alone. There were cars parked along the roads even way out in the country. All sorts of people who wanted in on the Celestial Show. Kind of nice that there are still some things that can bring people together.

• illinoislady
    Options

Beautiful Ruth.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

Wishing all a good day.

Drama is on-going and somewhat nerve-wracking. In other words, many of the lies are still floating well. Hearing that Cohen, coming Monday (tomorrow) is going to screw everything up now. All this length of time and several times testifying to grand juries etc. he hasn't — so why now?? Just the good ole' media I believe, and I'm including MSNBC as well. hawking for ratings. Michael Cohen has the goods. He has had them and the Loon should be terrified and may be.

I did hear that the sojourn the Loon made to New Jersey was pretty much a bust. He couldn't hold it together and screwed up words as usual. I think his handlers picked a place close and used it to 'prove' the Loon was still having rallies although he isn't. Not really. To note: Trump's people had to pay upfront since they stiffed the same place the first time they were there. One of the well-known Trump traits. So, he had to pay to make big mistakes and humiliate himself. Good.

We will just have to see what tomorrow brings. It sounds like M. Cohen will be on the stand for some time. Should be interesting to see how the Trump lawyers will try to spin everything in cross. Lawbreaking and illegal payments, covered up — just what can you do with that. I'd expect not too long of a cross. Not if you are smart that is. If his lawyers are caught having to pacify Trump it could be interesting.

• ruthbru
    Options
  • betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,330
    Options

Thanks and right back at you, Ruth.

If Mother's ruled the world it would be a much better place to live.

• ruthbru
    Options

One more Northern Lights picture from last night.

• illinoislady
    Options

Oh my, that is so very pretty. And Happy Mother's Day Ruth and everyone else no matter what you may mother.

I know I mentioned it on the other thread where I post a number of times that some time back (I think the yr. I got my first cancer (breast) dx. in 2007) I began to look on every day I woke up as a holiday. That said, I am at times inclined to say a bit less when a holiday comes and I do not generally celebrate in the same way. I do often make traditional meals, but other than that I'm generally now somewhat laid back seeing the holiday and specialness in ALL my days.