Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Options

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 35,521
    Options

Some days there just are NO words to convey the stupid. Such fun. Such idiocy. But Trump made some more money off of you.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

Well, it's as believable as the rest of your oral droppings.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

As mentally warped as the orange loony.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,189
    Options

That last one especially hits home.

• mom2bill
    mom2bill Member Posts: 7,625
    Options

I agree Ruth! I can’t for the life of me figure out how anyone, let alone a single woman could vote for that jackass again…or any Republican for that matter. Would I like to see prices come down? You bet, but I value our remaining freedoms so much more!

• illinoislady
    Options
    10 Reasons I’m Cautiously Optimistic About the Election

The polls are not predictive but these ten fundamentals of the race just might be.

THE BIG PICTURE AND JAY KUOMAY 14, 202443

15Share

U.S. President Joe Biden and U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris hold hands during a ceremony to celebrate the WNBA Champion Las Vegas Aces. Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images.

Another day, another bad set of battleground state polls out of the New York Times. It seems we’re barraged by media stories that Biden is losing, that young people are abandoning the Democratic Party over Gaza, that inflation matters more to swing voters than our democracy or reproductive rights.

I want to offer a different, “Big Picture” view of the election. In today’s piece, I lay out broader ways to think about likely electoral outcomes, ones that don’t all end up in some fascist dystopia. After walking you through my list of ten, I hope you’ll agree that, as Democratic strategist Simon Rosenberg likes to say, “I’d rather be us than them.”

Before I dive in, let me start by reminding everyone to avoid the polls if you’re just looking for an answer to “Will Biden beat Trump?” Polls are not predictive of outcomes, especially this far out. We still have around six months to go, and believe it or not, most Americans won’t start paying attention to the election until the Fall. Remember, also, that the polls were dead wrong in 2022 when that Red Wave they told us would swamp Democrats never appeared. They were wrong all the way up through Election Day, in fact.

Think of the polls as broken thermometers, where you don’t actually know if they’re reading the outside temperature correctly. But just like a set of broken thermometers, sometimes the polls over time can provide a simple answer to the question, “Is it getting hotter or colder?” And be glad! Recent polls either show no movement or slight movement toward Biden. 

In place of polls, I want to offer some fundamentals, everything from electoral math to the big issues wedging the parties, to the economy and the state of the campaigns. And because there are a number of factors—I list 10 of them here—I’m not going to spend a lot of time on any single one. Rather, I’ll state my case and move on, because this is intended as a broad brush exercise.

When you’re feeling despondent about our chances, come back to these 10 ideas in your head, take a deep breath, and then get to work helping the Democrats win. 

1. Biden has an easier job ahead than Trump

In 2020, Biden won both the national popular vote by seven million votes and the Electoral College by 74 votes. That’s a considerable victory by either measure. I say this to make the following point: In this rematch, the two candidates have very different jobs. 

Biden’s job is to convince the people who voted for him before to vote for him again. Trump, on the other hand, must get people who didn’t vote for him before to vote for him this time around. The former task is easier than the latter, in part because the Biden Campaign knows how to reach those voters using its ground game. More on that later.

If Trump doesn’t get new voters to turn up while Biden gets his old supporters back, it becomes a repeat of 2020, which is the most likely scenario, and Biden wins. 

But Trump’s got an additional problem. He did better than Biden did among older, white voters. But since 2020, a good number of them are, shall we say, no longer in the electorate. Meanwhile, in the same four years, a number of younger voters are now of voting age. Those voters tend to skew Democratic in their voting. Biden has a demographic advantage brought on by the passage of time.

2. Biden needs to re-win just 3 of the 5 battleground states

In 2020, Biden swept the big battleground states of Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona and Georgia. Trump effectively has to peel at least three of those states away from Biden (or Pennsylvania and one of the other big ones) in order to pull off an Electoral College victory. And mathematically speaking, Biden has the edge here.

He also has recent history on his side. No one has a crystal ball to predict November, but we do have the 2022 midterm results and special election results from these states, and they are not strong for Trump. In fact, Trump-backed candidates did quite poorly in these swing states, while Democrats romped.

In Pennsylvania, for example, Democrats won the governor's mansion and the Senate race, and they now control the state assembly. In Michigan, Democrats won a trifecta, meaning they now hold both the governorship and control of both chambers of the legislature. In Wisconsin, Democrats won the governor’s race in 2022, and in 2023 they defeated an extremist Republican for a key supreme court seat by a whopping 11 points. In Arizona, Democrats won all statewide races including the governor’s race and the Senate race. And in Georgia, Rafael Warnock defeated Trump’s hand-picked senate candidate, Herschel Walker.

Voters in these states have soundly rejected MAGA extremism, and they’re ready to do it again in 2024.

3. The GOP is wedged on major issues

The media headlines have been all about campus protests and how Democrats are divided on the issue of Israel and Gaza. But this focus on Democratic splits over foreign policy in the Middle East ignores how much more strongly divided GOP voters are when it comes to key issues.

Most Republicans and independents favor protecting abortion rights, yet Trump is campaigning on having successfully killed Roe v. Wade. Abortion is a loser issue for the GOP but a strong motivator for pro-abortion rights women voters and younger voters. And restoring abortion rights will be a major factor in battleground states, especially Arizona where a constitutional amendment to enshrine Roe in the state’s constitution will likely be on the ballot.

On top of being pro-choice, many moderate voters reject January 6 extremism and radical calls to release or pardon the January 6 defendants. They correctly believe Biden was legitimately elected. And they want to see democratic principles upheld at home and around the world. But Trump is doubling down on the Big Lie while courting authoritarians and threatening our alliances abroad. 

Together, these wedge issues have the strong potential to cause moderate Republicans to refuse to cast a ballot for Trump, even if they otherwise believe in traditional Republican principles. That is precisely what happened in the 2022 election when tens of thousands of Republican voters refused to endorse Trumpism.

4. MAGA has gotten more, not less, extreme since it lost in 2022

If Republicans and Trump had learned their lessons from their poor showing in 2022, I would be more concerned than I am. But in these two years, their positions have grown even more strident, their demands for loyalty and obedience even stronger. Within the Republican National Committee, for example, applicants are screened for their belief about who won the 2020 election. Meanwhile, those auditioning for the role of Trump’s Vice President, from Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) to Sen. J.D. Vance (R-OH), all refuse to say unequivocally that they would accept the results of the 2024 election if Trump loses.

For his part, Trump’s rhetoric has grown more dangerous and more divisive. He now speaks openly of being a Day One dictator, calls his political opponents “vermin,” promises to be his base’s “retribution,” and warns in Nazi-like fashion that immigrants are “poisoning the blood of our country.” While this may inflame and excite his core base, it does nothing to reach voters in the middle who are exhausted and alarmed by his increasingly aggressive and authoritarian tone.

5. Biden is presiding over a strong economy, not a recession

The biggest fear many Democrats held before this Election year was that we would be in a recession, one brought about by rapid hikes in interest rates meant to crush inflation. Instead, the economy continues to chug along well. Unemployment remains below 4 percent, which ties a historic record dating back 60 years. Meanwhile, inflation has come down from a scary 9 percent high to a much more manageable 3 percent.

The reality that the economy is actually doing well across the nation has not yet set in for some. Voters are often willing to state that their own personal economy, or even their own state’s economy, is fine, but have concerns over the rest of the country. I found this chart quite illuminating:

This is good news for the Biden campaign. In each of these critical battlegrounds, most people are saying things are getting better in their state, even if they falsely believe they are getting worse for the rest of the country. Between now and November, Democratic messaging will help bring these two concepts into alignment.

And because wages are now rising faster on average than prices, more Americans will feel they have extra money to spend, while the shock of higher prices, driven mostly by corporate profiteering, will have had more time to wear off.

Trump has no response to the good economic news, other than to claim the government statistics are fake and that he is somehow responsible for record stock market prices.

• illinoislady
    Options

I do not know the author of the above piece, but he made enough sense to me that I decided to share it. I've worried about what people we seem to see (from media) when talk of the economy comes up. It has in fact given me pause for thought at times.

So, I too was taken with the viewpoint of my last meme as well as the article. We really do have to expect that the Maga side of things will take anything that seemed to have worked well for them (how the heck any of it did is beyond me) and maximize it to the hilt. I hope in the end it only continues to convince the most loyal from the right.

I don't like some of the pricing but as Mom and others, I can adjust if they don't come down (certainly hoping they don't go up more) if we can maintain and keep what we have. Then again many of these things could be mightily improved if we do win well in 2024. We can get back what was lost. I knew it would take a fair amt. of time and even two Democratic cycles minimum to really start to make the best fixes to all the wrong perpetuated as well as created by the Loon's four years. It is almost as difficult as waiting for REAL justice to happen to the Loon.

I just can't not hope and have faith that integrity, honesty, and faithfulness to government and country won't win out in the end.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,326
    Options

Great article and I do not believe the poll info I hear on TV because I think it is skewed and biased. The reporters seem to focus on the loon and his misgivings rather than report real news.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,189
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

It is a real surprise Ruth. It also surprises me how any of those people are those who are generally thought of as well read, high intellect and having good success in life. Where their immunity to understanding these simple rules/things about their fellow earth travelers is well beyond me.

Have they become so tired of the rat race that they have decided to just give up and join the rats. Is it so much easier to believe crazy conspiracies than to do the work to figure out what is truth and what is fiction. It is a total enigma.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
    A Congressional Expert Called On House Democrats To Do The Right Thing And Introduce Impeachment Resolution Against Judge Aileen Cannon For Pandering To Trump

It's time for Judge Cannon to be stopped.

by Andrea Thompson7 mins ago7 mins ago651ShareTweet

It’s difficult to deny at this point that Trump-appointed Southern District of Florida Judge Aileen Cannon has been doing the bidding of the disgraced former president since the moment she was assigned to the infamous stolen, classified government document case against the very man who put her on the bench in the first place.

However, for one congressional expert, her most recent incident of pandering to Donald J. Trump has served as the final proof needed that Aileen Cannon is working in the shadows to help save the former president’s ass and he feels it’s high time that House Democrats do something about it.

Judge Cannon issued a midnight ruling recently, in which she refused to enforce a routine and standard deadline in the stolen documents case against ex-President Trump. While this may not sound like a huge deal, this move on Cannon’s part ensured that Donald Trump will not see a trial in this case before the 2024 election — exactly like he wanted, as Trump believes he will win the impending election and be safe from prosecution once he’s back inside the hallowed halls of the White House.

Reacting to this late-night ruling that clearly served no other purpose than a favor to the man who gave her the job she currently enjoys, United States congressional expert and Emeritus scholar at the conservative think tank the American Enterprise Institute, Norm Ornstein, said, “I think it is time for a House Democrat to introduce an impeachment resolution against Aileen Cannon. She is operating as a lawyer for Trump, not as an impartial judge. Of course, it would fail, but it will put a spotlight on her treachery.”

As Ornstein noted, it’s highly unlikely, if not completely impossible, that the impeachment resolution against Cannon would actually be a success. But, it certainly beats the hell out of Democrats sitting around and doing nothing as a judge essentially works as Donald Trump’s personal attorney

• illinoislady
    Options

Well it may not work but it sure doesn't feel good to sit around and have this JUDGE get away with what she does. I think it is possible to shake things up well if she were to face a go at impeachment. Perhaps she might even consider hanging some of her current ways and really 'work' like a real dedicated judge actually works.

• illinoislady
    Options

Not sure when she said this or in relation to what at the time but she is right —even if I might have worded it just a bit different.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

Bottom feeders and scumbags can recognize each other so easy.

• illinoislady
    Options

if your brain cells aren't totally fried.

• illinoislady
    Options

Someone else musta' too because here you are holding up that sign.

• illinoislady
    Options

Trump Republican are being such fools. When you wake up from the hangover it's going to be bad.

• illinoislady
    Options

Just another piece of Trump's ruined goods although I have to say he likely wasn't all that when the Loon got a hold of him.

• illinoislady
    Options

BREAKING: The attorney representing Stormy Daniels reveals that she had to wear a bulletproof vest to court for Donald Trump's hush money trial because his MAGA supporters are so crazed and violent.

And it gets so much worse...

Lawyer Clark Brewster said that Daniels was "paralyzed" with fear ahead of her testimony because of what "some nut might do to her."

"She was concerned about the security coming into New York. She wore a bulletproof vest every day until she got to the courthouse," said during an appearance on CNN.

"I can tell you that before she came on Sunday, I mean, she cried herself to sleep," Brewster went on. "She was paralyzed with fear, not of taking the stand or telling her story, but what some nut might do to her. And I’m genuinely concerned about it as well."

Daniels kept the vest on until she was safely inside the courthouse.

This is outrageous. Our country is living in constant fear of what these crazed MAGA fanatics will do. We must lock Trump up and put an end to this fascist movement.

I could not agree more. I did not know these things, but I would be for the most part terrified since the loon has given sooo much permission for bad actors to take so many matters into their own hands and to feel rancor about things they perceive in many of the wrong ways a 'la the Loon. We have to get proper justice and to make believers out of those who think they can in fact settle differeces THEIR way.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

No matter how much I agree it is not going to happen.

• illinoislady
    Options