Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Options

Comments

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,216
    Options

Divine, I too love the buttons and plan to look for some today!

Great memes today.

Listening to SCOTUS rulings today.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 35,524
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

Reps. math lesson.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

I guess I'm something of a party of one. I never thought Jane Fonda was wrong.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,328
    Options

Don't like the last meme because my DB honorably served as a Seabee in Vietnam. Not a fan of the war but cannot disrespect those that were made to serve and those who are named on the wall in Washington which includes several of my High School classmates. They never had a chance to grow up or old. May they RIP.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,173
    Options
    Melinda French Gates endorses Joe Biden for president

Josephine Rozzelle

Melinda French Gates, a philanthropist and the former wife of Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, announced Thursday that she will vote for President Joe Bidenin the 2024 presidential election, writing in an op-ed that “the stakes for women and families couldn’t be higher.”

“I’ve never endorsed a presidential candidate before. My work on gender equality and global health often requires me to work with leaders on both sides of the aisle, so I’ve avoided talking publicly about who I voted for in past elections,” French Gates wrote in the op-ed published by CNN.

“But this year is different,” she wrote. “After [former President Donald] Trump’s first term in office endangered the health of women, compromising their safety and robbing them of essential freedoms, I’m supporting Biden this election and asking others to do the same.”

In her explanation of her endorsement, French Gates focused on the two candidates’ track records when it comes to women’s issues — the subject of much of French Gates’ philanthropic work.

“While Trump has boasted about rolling back the rights of women, Biden understands that the future of our country depends on them. That’s why Biden has earned my vote. I urge anyone who cares about women and families to join me.”

A Trump campaign spokesman did not immediately reply to a request for comment from CNBC.

French Gates announced in May that she would be resigning as co-chair of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, about three years after she and her ex-husband announced their separation. Her last day with the foundation was June 7.

Per the terms of the Gateses’ divorce agreement, French Gates departed the foundation with a $12.5 billion grant. Her net worth is estimated at more than $13 billion, according to Bloomberg.

French Gates did not say in her endorsement on Thursday whether she plans to donate to Biden’s campaign.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,190
    Options
  • exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,987
    Options

Love it, Ruth! And a confession… I cannot read Hebrew and I wouldn’t be off base in saying that neither can most, but not all, American Jews. I dropped out of Hebrew school after a year. I mistakenly thought I’d be learning the Hebrew language but we only learned how to read from a prayer book whose language wasn’t quite the same as modern spoken Hebrew 🤷🏻‍♀️. Almost every boy I knew had no such option as they were in it for the long haul so they could make their Bar Mitvah at age 13. Though common these days in the US, it was not usual for girls to have a Bat Mitvah back then.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,190
    Options

Now, this is a good idea.….probably should be posted in every room at Marlago too.

• illinoislady
    Options

Thanks Divine. I read that piece earlier, and I so agree with Melinda Gates. I'm very happy she is speaking out about her decision and why. I'm not concerned whether or not she donates to Biden because I think it more important that she hopefully influences those who respect her opinions and feelings and may not be quite sure yet.

I think so far President Biden has done fine in securing funds although I did hear (don't quote me ) that Trump has gotten a windfall amt. just from a couple of donors as of late. That may be, but I'd be concerned if it is going towards the campaign or elsewhere. In any case, it seems senility is catching up so fast with Trump that money may not be what he 'really' needs. Left up to Lara Trump who knows where these funds may end up.

• illinoislady
    Options

Just a further note — checking my emails late here and find solicitations (there are many this time of year) for Pres. Biden and this is due to the one or two donors who recently gave mega amts. to Trump. Well, those guys are going to be looking big time for whatever favors they want to see happen. Hopefully they will have given their money for nothing though they will get notice from other government Reps. Especially those who need a lot of funds when they run if not this time out.

• divinemrsm
    edited June 22
    Options

Just a little break in the political action to post several photos of Prince William with his kids. The first one is absolutely perfection! Taken by Kate who posted it to wish William happy birthday. Then a couple photos of “Dad” taking Charlotte and George to a Taylor Swift concert. Look how happy those kids look! ! William’s mother, Diana, would be SO PROUD of him as a father!

• mavericksmom
    Options

Anyone else nervous about the debate on Thursday? I wish they wouldn't do the debates at all because Biden is the one who has the most to lose. Trump MAGA's are in it for the long hull, and by that I mean forever! The MAGA movement is far bigger than Trump. If Trump died today, there are plenty to fill his shoes, albeit, not the with the same "charisma" as Trump.

Debates are only for the "undecided" voters and honestly, I think less of undecided voters than I do of MAGA voters! Trump can just act like the ass he is and won't lose a single vote.

Debates are only as good as the participants, and as of now, there is only ONE participant who has the brains to debate, and of course, that is Biden. Too late to back out now, but stupid move on his campaign's part!

• mavericksmom
    Options

Divine, thanks for the pictures. My daughter and family are seeing Taylor Swift in concert tonight in London. They had planned their trip to Scotland and England months ago, but my SIL surprised the family with concert tickets! Daughter and granddaughter are huge fans! DD is the one who gave my new rescue dog the name Kelce……and it fits her perfectly! LOL

• divinemrsm
    Options

maverick, imo, Biden’s team wouldn’t have him doing debates if they didn’t think it would benefit him. Also, if he backed out, it would look weak. When Jackie Bouvier married JFK, her philandering father was supposed to give her away. But allegedly, Jackie’s mother, who ‘d divorced this womanizing husband and remarried, made sure Mr. Bouvier was wined and dined the day before the wedding to where he was too inebriated to show up at the wedding. In his place, Jackie’s stepdad walked her down the aisle. Oh it’d be nice if someone could set Donald up like that so he’d be a no-show and we wouldn’t have to put up with the garbage bound to spew from his mouth during the debates.

How exciting your daughter’s going to the Taylor Swift concert in London! My onc’s nurse practitioner is going to one of Taylor’s shows across the pond, I forget exactly where. It’s some kind of girls’ trip with her friends. I love that Taylor is so successful and Charlotte is a fan of such a woman, and that William endorses all of that!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,987
    Options

Agree with you divine. I think Biden will be fine in the debate and it would be a terrible decision to even think about withdrawing. Will be interesting to see how trump behaves with stricter rules in place than previous debates.

• illinoislady
    Options

No snowflake ever falls in the wrong place.

Zen

• illinoislady
    Options

I agree as well. I think Pres. Biden and his team actually set up the debates in such a way as to avoid many of the issues of some of the former debates, such as the fiasco in the 2020 debates. Trump just talked over then candidate Biden the whole time. It didn't in the end help him at all, but it was distressing to me and I'm sure many others. Mikes will I think automatically cut off this time. That said having Joe Biden tell Trump to just shut up, man was priceless and did what needed to be done. Made Trump seem like the nervous, un-sure candidate that he was and even more deserving of loser status.

I do have some worries though. I do believe that there are many MAGA's standing in line behind Trump who can be deeply troublesome to us and in fact, those are who I worry about more than Trump.

I also think our side set up the debates earlier which is likely a good thing and it was based on the fact that there is a lot of 'early' voting and those people should fall heir to getting to evaluate the candidates with as much info as possible.

I do wonder if this debate may have any effect on the nomination process at the RNC convention. Not only this, but the sentencing will have taken place by then as well. There have been many who pledged to vote for Trump no matter what (even if he were in jail/home confinement sentence or whatever like senility) but despite Trump trying to now convince people he is 10 pts. ahead of Pres. Biden, I don't think Trump would get near enough votes. The landscape doesn't look great for Trump.

So, with some misgivings as I believe anyone likely has — I do think no snowflake falls in the wrong place. Debates have played a part for a long time and this one has been I think arranged as carefully as one can. I'm still wondering myself if Trump will go through with it.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options