I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,416
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady

Something we need to fix soon.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,195

So I have been trying to analyze why I’ve gotten stuck in a doom loop regarding the political situation. Here’s what I’ve figured out:

The Republicans will lie, cheat, obfuscate, and any other adjective you can think of that describes a lack of ethics, to achieve their goal. Seriously, they will do anything at this point no matter how corrupt and reprehensible to get what they want. How do you fight that without sinking to their level? This is what disturbs me most.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady
    edited July 3

Roger MejiaThe electoral college was used to get two Republicans,Bush Jr. And Trump into the presidency.That's the only way the ultra rich can get their representation in government, which they would rather eliminate or make government small to serve the ultra rich.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady

Wow !! I went back to check a post and found yours Divine. Sure glad I did go back. I've no idea why as of late, I don't always open to the first new and or un-read post. Don't know why. I so appreciate all of you here and I appreciate your viewpoints. I hope you continue to come and continue to give those viewpoints. We don't all agree with one another and that is what makes things interesting and truly I'm sure helps those of us who may not be totally sure how we feel about something.

Sometimes we may have to agree to disagree and that is okay as well. We are human, and thank God we are not clones and I admire anyone with the courage to be who they REALLY are. I promise when I find out who I really am I will let you know. Just kidding to lighten it all up a bit.

You all are exactly who you were meant to be and if you are being true to who you really are than you are one of the most valuable people I know. I want to keep it just that way.

I'm spending the rest of the afternoon celebrating all of you. You are unique individuals and I'm so happy to be able to spend time with you here and to get the opportunity to get other viewpoints and true feelings. Hugs to all of you.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,585

Illinoislady, I decided to move my last post to this page where I hope others will see it. I agree, sometimes a post at the end of a page gets overlooked, so I’m glad you happened to mention it. Here it is:

I appreciate the ongoing discussion about the U.S. flag. I never said I hated it, either.

For years now, I’ve been taking photos of headstones in cemeteries and uploading them to the website “Find A Grave”. Millions of volunteers world-wide do this as a way to preserve local history. Ancestry.com owns it and it is a valuable genealogical tool for many. Each headstone has its own memorial page. I’ve uploaded over 11,000 photos and still going; love doing it. I’m continually photographing military markers. I like photographing them in summer because most have flags at the headstone and I always get the flag in the photo. Then I check the veteran box on the person’s memorial so they get a V next to their name to indicate they served in the military. In doing this volunteer work, I’m continually aware of those who’ve served in the military. I’m also wonderfully surprised to find a number of women from my small county in Ohio served in WWI, WWII and Vietnam. I’ve been to the Vietnam Memorial and the WWII memorial in D.C. I’ve been to Arlington National Cemetery where the Changing of the Guard ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is something I’ll never forget. My dad and uncles served in WWII.

Last summer just after Memorial Day, dh, ds and I drove through Allegheny Cemetery in Pittsburgh which is located near ds’s apt. It’s a pretty big place. I was incredibly moved to find they have a huge military section not unlike Arlington, though of course scaled down. Aside from Arlington, I’d never seen such a massive display of military graves in a cemetery all adorned with the U.S. flag. Rows and rows and rows. We got out and walked around a bit to take it all in.

I can still honor those in the military in my own way, respect the flag and still silently protest the wrongs I see in our country by not putting my flag on my front porch. 

And I very much appreciate any and all the optimism shown on this thread!! Please know it gives me hope!!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,195

Wonderful comment, Camille! As I said, I never was a flag waver but not displaying an object that represents my country means nothing in terms of my patriotism. Looking at me or my home, sans flags, decorations, or yard signs, you wouldn’t know much of how I felt about anything!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,516

Divine, what a wonderful service you are doing! From someone who has used Find A Grave quite a few times, I thank you very much!!!

I will also be celebrating our little group!!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,278

Does anyone on this thread read Mother Jones? I'm thinking of subscribing 40 years after I first saw it and would like a recommendation.

• illinoislady

minustwo, I'm getting ready to re-subscribe. I took the magazine for a long time, fell on hard times for a bit so let it lapse. Dh even ask me to re-subscribe although he doesn't read it. I always 'explain' the good articles to him which sort of translates to the ones I know he would actually enjoy.

I loved getting the magazine with what I thought were very timely and well written (easy to understand) articles. I only had one complaint and that was that the type could have been a mite bigger, but I found the information so good that I generally would forget it as an issue soon after beginning the read. It is not super expensive either for the quality you get. If you get it I think you will enjoy it. It comes every other month and I found that worked out about right. Plenty of time to read and take in all the information in the edition and kept me supplied with material to ponder till slightly before the next one came.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,278

Thanks - I think I'll go ahead & accept their offer for a year. The offer I got is $10.00. I asked on this thread because the front of the brochure with the offer says "HOW THE GOP LOST IT'S MIND…It didn't start (and won't end) with Trump", and referring to another article titled "The Origins of Trump" Like many of you, I can only take so much news - but because I don't watch TV at all, I can easily close the page of the newspaper or magazine or click off from an article on line.

• illinoislady
    July 3, 2024

And on July 4, 1776, the Second Continental Congress adopted the Declaration of Independence, declaring: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.”

For all the fact that the congressmen got around the sticky little problem of Black and Indigenous enslavement by defining “men” as “white men,” and for all that it never crossed their minds that women might also have rights, the Declaration of Independence was an astonishingly radical document. In a world that had been dominated by a small class of rich men for so long that most people simply accepted that they should be forever tied to their status at birth, a group of upstart legislators on the edges of a continent declared that no man was born better than any other.

America was founded on the radical idea that all men are created equal.

What the founders declared self-evident was not so clear eighty-seven years later, when southern white men went to war to reshape America into a nation in which African Americans, Indigenous Americans, Chinese, and Irish were locked into a lower status than whites. In that era, equality had become a “proposition,” rather than “self-evident.”

“Four score and seven years ago,” Abraham Lincoln reminded Americans, “our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.” In 1863, Lincoln explained, the Civil War was “testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.”

It did, of course. The Confederate rebellion failed. The United States endured, and Americans began to expand the idea that all men are created equal to include Black men, men of color, and eventually women.

But just as in the 1850s, we are now, once again, facing a rebellion against our founding principle, as a few people seek to reshape America into a nation in which certain people are better than others.

The men who signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, pledged their “Lives, [their] Fortunes and [their] sacred Honor” to defend the idea of human equality. Ever since then, Americans have sacrificed their own fortunes, honor, and even their lives, for that principle. Lincoln reminded Civil War Americans of those sacrifices when he urged the people of his era to “take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.”

Words to live by in 2024.

• illinoislady

I've read the above several times this morning already. We tend in our human form to see more separateness than anything else. If someone is black, white, Asian, Indian we immediately see them as separate and somehow then different. We don't see diversity as a boon but as something to divide and once divided to see one or the other as somehow better and so that one and that one only should stand above and be in charge.

It is now in fact worse than ever. My hope is that their will be something of a revolution. Not actual battles or anything so extreme, but that there will be questions enough to figure out how to begin the long, hard process of getting our democracy back on track as well as the process in the meantime of learning how to live together again in some sort of workable peace. How utterly awful not to recognize that we are ALL individuals and ALL equal. We all cry over tragedies and losses and celebrate when good things bring comfort and happy times. Why must we make 'the other' something less. Where is our sense of harmony gone.

Just my view — we are here for knowledge, which is growth, learning which is positive which will enhance and stimulate the growth and finally to realize that hate destroys and love heals. If we learn it in time. I find it hard to imagine people who willingly choose hate. Who think destruction is an actual safe and harmonious path, but they do. I always have hope because I think there is much more good in the world than bad and I do believe that

I do believe the words of MLK — that the Arc of the moral Universe is long but it bends towards justice. Justice then could be way slower than we like, but one way or the other it will get here. There is more good around then is easy to sometimes see or feel, but I'm convinced it is there. Always I have hoped and always I will continue. Happy 4th. to all.

• illinoislady

If we don't get him, his senility will, but lets do it anyway.

• illinoislady

Starting at voting booth.

• illinoislady

Reps. and media using the same Clinton playbook right now.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady

Did the SC think about this one.

• illinoislady

President Biden would never do this, but you can bet your bottom dollar the other guy wouldn't blink an eyelash before he gave it the green light.

• illinoislady

Thank goodness only one of my parents — so I had a good taste growing up of both parties, but back then the Reps. had some decent viewpoints, and one could work with them. That is all gone.

• illinoislady

Absolutely great question and some of us have in fact been asking. Biden had a bad stumble, not a whole lifetime of horrible attributes evil in nature. What the hell is wrong with people and I do mean a bunch of Democrats who should be recognizing the event and then moving to the balance points of it which are almost too numerous to mention.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady

Lots of these people who live on the moral arc out there.