Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Options

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,201
    Options
  • divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,183
    Options
  • divinemrsm
    Options
  • divinemrsm
    edited July 2
    Options

After going through a difficult year dealing with matters surrounding illness and deaths, my family’s feeling closer with each other. I’m feeling emotional this week with the 4th coming up and my son, stepson and grandkids coming in for a few days. I’m grateful. I live in a two story, white sided house. For years, I’ve hung my U.S. flag on the front porch from Memorial Day to Labor Day, and put a patriotic sign on the door with red, white and blue flowers, stars and stripes and “USA” right in the middle. A very Americana look. I have not hung the flag this year. On the front door is a welcome sign with no trace of red, white or blue.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,012
    edited July 2
    Options

Camille,

Your post struck a chord with me. I am going to a bbq at younger dd’s house. Every year my grandchildren wear red, white, and blue. I usually try to get in the spirit as well but stopped when looking at a blue and white striped summer dress, with just a touch of red, and wondering how the right wing co-opted our flag. I am so discouraged by all of this 😞.

• mom2bill
    mom2bill Member Posts: 7,640
    Options

I too am wondering how the least patriotic among us have managed to co-opt the flag. My husband was in the Air Force for 22 years and I have always supported our troops, even when I might have questioned the mission. We’ve always considered ourselves to be a patriotic family, but at some point I also stopped hanging our flag outside. Seeing big trucks driving around with huge flags and Trump signs hanging on them really turns my stomach. The flag now represents MAGA to me, and is no longer a symbol for the country that I love. These same idiots who expressed such rage at those who chose to kneel during the National Anthem, have no qualms about draping themselves in American flag clothing while wearing Trump diapers. I just don’t get it.

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

I saw a pic of two men with diapers over their pants. They were wearing T-shirts that said, Real Men Wear Diapers. They were at a trump rally. How does an (alleged) adult look at themselves and think that this is normal and this is how we support a presidential candidate? How can this even be real??? I feel like I’m in an absurdist play but it’s actually a nightmare.

• ruthbru
    Options

Since we are all a million time more patriotic than that whole bunch of traitors; I am not going to let them spoil my favorite holiday (mostly because it's the easiest for entertaining….. we're outside,there's no mashed potatoes that have to been done at the same time as the meat etc. etc.). I am going to celebrate all the heroes , known and unknown, that have actually worked to make America a more perfect union. We are in a very, very dark chapter, but the book is not finished yet.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,229
    Options

I have no plans to celebrate. Our only flag is one that a realtor put on the side of the driveway at each house in my neighborhood to celebrate Memorial Day.

I too used to decorate my door and flower boxes in red, white, and blue. Not this year. DH used to hang the Flag year round. But not since it was used to hurt Capital Police and was torn off Capital and replaced with a Trump flag.

Painful that I now hate our country’s flag, the same flag that draped my DF’s, DBLs and DU’s coffins!

Trump will win because he has private militias that will kill for him and a SCOTUS that is his right hand. Reps are locked and loaded, Dems are still trying to play by the rules.

I used to wonder if I would survive Covid, during which I had a mental breakdown from the stress of working in person during a time prior to vaccines. Then when the vaccines were available, I watched retired people (all my siblings included) who didn’t even have to leave their homes get vaccinated but I couldn’t get vaccinated, no matter what so did.

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would be facing the same level of stress, not from a disease but from the government of the country I loved!

• ruthbru
    Options
  • betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,337
    Options

I refuse to let MAGA co-opt the American flag; it doesn't belong to them. My DF, DB and other family members fought to preserve that flag and it would be a betrayal of their service to not fly my flag.

They chose to dishonor it by using it as a battering ram and I choose to fly it in defiance of them and their dastardly deeds. When you hear the words of the National Anthem, that is what our flag represents.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 35,651
    Options

I won't be giving up my flag either. Of course I am upset about the misuse and abuse of our flag, I'm human, but I gave some of my life and time to it and that still counts for me. After 78 years of loving my country and my flag I am not ready to give in to the pure crud and scum that overran our Capitol. I am not ready to give up and I'm not about to automatically assume Trump will in fact win this election.

For one thing he is going to be facing a wall of women and they are mad. No Roe V Wade, no IVF. and they are well aware a lot more losses are in line to be TAKEN. No doubt there will be a number of Reps. men as well because they have already said they won't vote for Loon, but it is the magnitude of the pissed off women. They haven't said much — in fact, there is no need, because I know they intend to make it be known just how they feel in November.

Of course, I'm nervous but I'm not giving up my patriotism, my flag, or my vote.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • exbrnxgrl
    Options

I heard that Giuliani has been disbarred in NY. That man is the epitome of the word fool!
    To all of you who are more optimistic about the outcome of this election than I am, I hope with every fiber of my being that you are right 😘.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Love the flag, don't love the flag, we live in a country, at least for now, that allows us to make that choice. Celebrate the choice, not the flag!

• divinemrsm
    edited July 3
    Options

I appreciate everyone’s comments on the U.S. flag and their reasons for hanging it out or not. Please know I respect everyone’s opinions. I have a few patriotic shirts I stopped wearing after Roe v Wade was overturned. I didn’t want to send off any kind of idea that I was supportive of the ruling, or that I’m happy with the direction our country went in.

My choice not to hang the flag out front is my version of Colin Kapernick’s taking a knee. It is silent protest that the rights of women in our country are being oppressed (among other things). The small town where I live is no bigger than 3 square miles. In this small area with a population of 5,000, many of us are at least acquainted with each other. A majority of homes here are older, two story ones with front porches; many residents love adorning their porches according to the season. This lends itself to personal expression. You can read someone’s front porch, if you will, and know something about them. Because the terrain of the town is mostly flat and the streets have sidewalks, it’s a town of walkers. Plenty of people pass by my home on foot. I feel that my not hanging the flag says something, even if it’s only subliminally.

I will still celebrate the 4th by attending a couple pot-luck picnics and watching fireworks, and I hear ya, Ruth, about the not having to coordinate the cooking times for a 15-course dinner! I’m with exbrnxgrl that I hope optimism for the election wins out.

• betrayal
    Options

Nope, I opt to celebrate the flag and all those who have fought or died to preserve its heritage so that is my choice. I am not knuckling under for any MAGAT. I can accept your position though but am not sure IMHO what message that sends.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited July 3
    Options

I certainly don’t hate the flag and it makes me sadder than I already am to think that people do. TBH, I was never one for overt displays of … pretty much anything, so public displays were never my thing. I respect the flag but personally have always been uncomfortable with overt glorification of objects or symbols. I will still celebrate with my family as we often do, though it’s supposed to be crazy hot here… like 20 degrees above average.

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

Did I miss something? This doesn’t sound like liberal politics!

• illinoislady
    edited July 3
    Options

We have our flag out, but it is out 365 days a year because that is how many days per year, I'm patriotic and I do intend to stay that way. Having said that, unlike Divine and likely others, I live two miles from town and in partial woods (I'm just behind the first tree line) so it is not likely I'm really making a 'big' statement to anyone other than perhaps, myself and my family.

Exbrnxgrl and others. I understand in part your feelings of dread and dismay. I feel many of those same misgivings but likely not quite as often or possibly consistently as you. Perhaps not as strongly. While I know there is good reason to feel trepidations, I have come to believe our biggest stumbling block is not Pres. Biden or necessarily even Trump. The media is taking everything that happens and magnifying it up and it frankly benefits the right and the Loon way more than the Democrats. They have single handedly played up to the hilt everything that sounds fearful and ominous, and it is not for us they do it. It is for them only.

We have plenty to be concerned over, and plenty should be capitalized, but polls numbers haven't really changed much (actually new polls show Biden actually up a tiny bit higher) and there are huge problems that would come trying to switch candidates now which the media doesn't bother to explain much. We really aren't ready for a female president just yet, but even if we were closer, it would have to be someone like Michele Obama, and she is not interested. In fact, she is one of the few I'd even consider. All we hear is how Biden should drop out — well no one on the Reps. side is saying (and his debate performance was ghastly) that Trump should drop out. Democrats need to take lesson one — stand by your man. That is not exactly what I call the Loon, but never-the-less, we have a habit of hysterical panic when none is necessary fed intravenously by the media. We need to use the spines we actually have. The Loon is out and about making once again the showing of his dementia and as well is far, far, far, from being off the hook on his completed trial and the up-coming ones. It is not what the media says, but it is their job to keep you tuning in so we are going to hear snippets of truth, just enough so you will listen while they use everything else to help generate your fear and dismay.

They have us where they want us, disagreeing strongly about what should happen to Pres. Biden and his nomination and otherwise keeping us upset and in chaos.

I am hopeful that we will have an election and we will get behind our candidate (whom I do EXPECT to be Pres. Biden) 200% and that we will do well enough to look back and wonder why the angst was so pervasive. We can do this. We are Democrats and we love and respect democracy. I am not in any way willing to let the Magats or the media take my desires and hopes. We will do this as well, even better than in 2020.

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

I hope that in my distress and pessimism , it is clear that I support Biden 100%. Do I have some hesitancy after the debate? Yes, but nothing will change my desire to see trump defeated and there is no other viable option. And again, I do not hate the flag. I know someone else used those words but it wasn’t me and I don’t want to be aligned with hate, a word I rarely use.

• mom2bill
    mom2bill Member Posts: 7,640
    Options

I don’t hate the flag either. What I hate is that now when I see a flag, my mind makes an immediate connection to the MAGA movement. That makes me both angry and sad that I have ALLOWED them to affect me that way. I know I shouldn’t let them taint something that holds so much meaning to me and my family, but when I tell myself not to let them get to me, it’s about as effective as telling me not to worry about a cancer reoccurrence. My mind just doesn’t work that way. We must continue to fight the good fight, talk to young voters to make sure they truly understand what is at stake in the upcoming election, and vote Blue down the whole ticket!

• betrayal
    Options

I would recommend a drive to a national cemetery where flags decorate the graves of those men who served our country and sought to protect our democracy. If that doesn't make you appreciate what the flag means, I don't know what will. Again, I refuse to let MAGAT control the meaning of the flag.

Remember the man who refused to visit the national cemetery in France because it was raining and would affect his combover. Such blatant disrespect cannot be tolerated or overlooked. Those MAGAT's do not represent patriotism, though they say the do, they represent tyranny and insurrection. They used to flag as a weapon, not a badge of honor. They used the Trump flag for that.

I may be a perpetual optimist but I much prefer that to pessimism, because being pessimistic makes me depressed. I have had many issues in my life in which I could have become pessimistic but opted not to and fought hard to heal and survive. If I lose hope, what reason is there to live? I encourage you to look for some way to find optimism for our future. Your vote counts and without it, where would we be?

• mavericksmom
    edited July 3
    Options

I don’t honestly hate the flag either but I hate what MAGA did with it on Jan 6th! My feelings won’t change, those memories are etched in my mind. I watched the insurrection unfold on live TV (in real time). I doubt I will ever look at the flag again and feel like I did before Trump became President.

Mom2bill, I don’t agree that you “allowed” them to cause you to feel that way. Don’t blame yourself for what they did! I surely didn’t “allow” them to cause me to want to cry whenever I see an American flag now. I blame them, I will never forgive them for what they did nor will I forget!

BTW, for those who love the flag, dislike for the flag is NOT the same as saying I don’t support the troops! Please don’t make that assumption! It simply isn’t true

Betrayal, I am glad that you can still love the flag but think of it this way. It is no different for me to dislike the flag than it is for you to hate Dec because a doctor lied to you. You were traumatized thus you have those feelings. I was traumatized by Jan 6 and the way I feel about the flag, is the consequence from that day!

I don’t think there is one person on this forum who doesn’t care about our country or feel anything but deep appreciation and respect for those who served and continue to serve in the military so we could enjoy our freedom!

Let’s just try to get past this Independence Day and pray that next year we will all have good reason to want to celebrate!

• mavericksmom
    Options

betrayal, just so you know, I was typing when you posted on here and only saw your post afterwards. I know you weren’t intentionally trying to hurt anyone’s feelings but your comment about visiting a national cemetery (my dear father’s grave included) felt like you punched me in the stomach, I literally feel like I could vomit! I for one didn’t need a lecture on how to feel about the flag.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited July 3
    Options

I feel as if my feelings toward the flag are being misconstrued. I have been to national cemeteries. I honor and appreciate the courage that our military has displayed by making the ultimate sacrifice. I am just not now, nor have ever been, a flag waver nor given to overt displays of patriotism. As a matter of fact, I’m not much into overt displays for any holiday or special occasion ! No house decorations, no bumper stickers, no huge brand logos on my clothes even.

This says absolutely nothing about my feelings about the US, the US military , nor does it indicate a lack of respect . My father and other family members served. Not being a flag waver, even before trump, is simply part and parcel of who I am, and certainly not meant to be anything more. I have always been low key about public displays of personal beliefs. It saddens me to think this was interpreted otherwise.

• betrayal
    Options

MM, opinions are welcome but personal attacks are not. If you misconstrued my message that is on you and not on what I posted.

I did not direct my message to any one person, or intend for anyone to be insulted. It reflects what I feel, so my opinion and a couple of bucks will buy you a cup of coffee at your local cafe, and the same rule applies to your message. We can agree to disagree and this is it for me about the flag.

• illinoislady
    Options

Likely is a good time to quit speaking about our flag. I'm not overt about it and I'm like you somewhat exbrnxgrl. I do not flaunt labels or need items that boast of such, nor do I allow bumper stickers on my car or anything else I have.

I do believe with all my heart that if you are here you deeply care about our democracy and definitely all the abuse it has suffered by the Reps. and the crazy Loon they elected to sit on high as though he had a right and even some intelligence to do so. He had none of that and we all know it. The flag is a symbol, just like the medical caduceus pin I wore on my nurse's clothing in the Army. Hopefully, some of you may be able to regain your feelings about our flag.

It is hard to celebrate any holidays when we feel such apprehension as we do. I had some issues in this way the past couple of years although they were good ones with President Biden — but the left-over angst as well as never having quiet gotten rid of the Loon persisted since we didn't get enough control of the Senate and had to deal with Reps. trying their level best to keep Pres. Biden from doing positive things. Those things continue to this day.

Exbrnxgrl, you didn't miss anything. I was copying something from another thread and didn't fully clear it apparently when I got to this one which I do last everyday. So w/o realizing it, it got copied and pasted here as well. My apologies — I've removed it. Now onto to check what kind of memes may be around to enjoy.

• illinoislady
    Options

Not sure what he did to get 'notice' again as I've not paid that much attention to news, but I've so hoped that maybe he'd quit running or lose big time. Many of the R's are in districts that just won't let go of their do nothing losers.