Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,263

VP Harris helped stem migration from three Central American countries, and it dropped by 50% over two years; and border crossings today are lower than at the end of Trump's last term, according to Sen. Chris Murphy. I'm with her.

So am I and seems to me the Reps. could have had some credit (and boy do they need it) had they not took a dive on this for TFG.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady

Leaked photo.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,574

Oh, I truly love the “HARRIS obviously” sign!!

And what a contrast between what TFG said about the White House compared to how Barack Obama respected and revered his surroundings when he was President. TFG damages everything he touches.

Kamala in the rainbow jacket: gorgeous! And a far cry from Melmel’s “I don’t care, do you?” coat.

• trishyla1
    trishyla1 Member Posts: 92

I have to agree about coming here for the diverse viewpoints. I am a proud progressive from a progressive family, living in a very blue city, in a very blue state. It's damned easy to be an out and proud Democrat here.

I was the daughter of a strong, intelligent single mother. I think I was a feminist from day one. I tried to join the Cub Scouts in 1966, when I was 8, because they did stuff like learning to make fire and camping. The Bluebirds made placemats and learned birdcalls. I failed, but it was a no brainer for me to at least try. And there were no repercussions from those around me for trying. Amusement maybe, but no one got angry.

It was easy for me to keep pushing the boundaries. I ran for class president in middle school on a promise of changing the rules so girls were allowed to wear pants and shorts, instead of just skirts and dresses. I won, and I delivered on that promise. I was the first girl to take Auto Shop in High School. I raced a dragster and took Woodworking and purposely failed typing so I wouldn't be pigeonholed into a "girls" job when I grew up. I was never told I couldn't do that. So, when I read how Camille found feminism later in life, all I could think of was what courage it took to break free from such stifling patriarchy. And when I think of Ruth being a teacher in a very red state, I'm don't know that I could have stayed as true to progressive values as she has. And Jackie, and Betrayal and all the others living in close proximity to the crazy Trumpers, I salute you.

In truth, all of you lovely progressive women, living in red states, and dealing with Trump supporters on a daily basis, amaze me. Your stories are so different than mine, but you give me hope that the good people in this country will prevail in November. Thank you.

Trish

• illinoislady

This was a question I'm betting most of us had before the very failed loser aka TFG ever (choke) won. I was amazed at the number of people who chose to try him out. Plenty of a lot of regrets and they are saying so this time around by publicly owning up to not going with in this time.

Saying that, I was wondering aloud to Dh tonight about the election outcome. I suppose we won't know who was an R and perhaps voted against TFG in 2020. It is one of the things that gives me hope for this election, not only for moving off TFG but I have hopes that many of those same R's might have a similar thought or two about some of their down ballot fellow R's. If they are concerned about democracy enough to NOT vote for TFG and to make sure by voting for VP Harris — then I would think/hope they would consider some of the down ballot people as perhaps just as un-suitable. Well, I can certainly hope that will happen.

• illinoislady
    edited August 6

Also wanted to mention while I liked all the memes, a couple that I looked at several times was the one with Kamala Harris where she said anyone suggesting the termination of the Constitution should never be allowed to stand behind seal of the USA.

I do so hope that part of our laws is "FIXED" this time around. There is absolutely no reason someone not only as criminal as Trump always was as well as mentally defective should ever even get the opportunity to run for high office. Why should anyone have to put up with that and even more so since someone like that obviously was strong encouragement for excessive cheating from the other side as well as foreign enemies like Putin.

I also spent time looking at the Jimmie Carter one and thinking about his and Rosalind's remarkable lives. He wasn't our best president, but he put his heart into it totally. And of course, he kept helping humanity even after holding the highest office we have.

Meant to add:

I appreciate your words Trish. Loved hearing about how you went for it early on. Good for you, I admire your grit and determination to do it your way.

• divinemrsm

You heard the story about RFK Jr and the dead bear?

• divinemrsm

Seriously

• divinemrsm
    edited August 6

Yep!

• divinemrsm

This is exactly what I said a couole weeks ago!

• divinemrsm

All of the above……..

• divinemrsm
    edited August 6

And for a bit of relief from politics: I’ve been watching and enjoying the Olympic coverage. Like many, I love women’s gymnastics. You may have seen the following story in the news yesterday. The actions of these Olympic medalists makes my heart SO HAPPY and goes a long way to restoring my faith in people. The accompanying picture is my favorite photo from the entire Olympics.

Sports Illustrated

Rebeca Andrade of Brazil won gold in the women's floor exercise at the Paris Olympics on Monday. In order to take the gold medal, Andrade had to best Team USA's Simone Biles and Jordan Chiles after finishing behind the Americans in three other events during the 2024 Games. 

When she finally did break through to win she was congratulated by Biles and then surprised on the podium as Biles and Chiles bowed. Biles and Chiles revealed the motivation behind the move while talking to the press after the event. 

"She's so amazing," said Biles. "She's queen. And first it was an all-Black podium so that was super exciting for us. But Jordan was like should we bow to her and I was like absolutely. So we're like are we going to do it now and then that's why we did it. She's such an excitement to watch and then all the fans in the crowd, always cheering for her so it just, it was just the right thing to do. She's queen." 

"She's an icon, a legend herself," said Chiles. "So I feel like being recognized is what everbody should do when it comes to somebody who's put in the work, put in the dedication. So yeah, in that moment I was like you know what, first off, again, yes it was an all-Black podium. Second off, why don't we just give her her flowers. She's given, not only has she given Simone her flowers but a lot of us in the United States our flowers as well. Giving it back is what makes it so beautiful."

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,505

It's Tim Walz! He is the governor of the state right next to me & I love him! He's down- to= earth, funny, sincere, and relatable. He served in the National Guard for 24 years and was a long time teacher & football coach (which gives him extra points from me). I actually like his 'weird' term for the Republicans because Nazis hate to be laughed at. Here is how that came about:

It began with Tim Walz on Morning Joe

Auditioning for the Democratic nod for vice president, the Minnesota governor steamed through complaints about the Republican politics of the present. Sen. JD Vance, Walz said, “gets it all wrong” when he talks about small-town values. “It’s not about hate. It’s not about collapsing in. The golden rule [in rural America] is mind your own damn business.”

Walz argued Republican policies had destroyed Vance’s imagined idyllic America; conservatives had pushed division through book bans and an isolated world wrought by trickle-down economics. “We do not like what has happened,” Walz said, seeming to speak for an unmentioned mass of people, “where we can’t even go to Thanksgiving dinner with our uncle because you end in some weird fight that is unnecessary.” 

The host laughed.

“Well, it’s true,” Walz responds to the chortle, “these guys are just weird.”

Since then, the word has become a catchphrase for Democrats to describe their conservative opponents, infuriating Republicans.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,505

*speaking of weird, I think RFK Jr wins the gold medal of weirdness!

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609

Trishyla, thank you for acknowledging me.

• divinemrsm

Yay! I am happy with Harris’s VP selection, Tim Walz. HARRIS/Walz has a nice ring to it for signs and campaign buttons. We all know it won’t be anything like a cake walk, but I am hoping Harris “walz-es” into the White House with a presidential victory!

Love hearing your thoughts on Walz, ruth. I am hoping his tenure as a teacher brings an endorsement from the National Education Association and The American Federation of Teachers. And while I liked Shapiro, his being the VP pick would have brought too much controversy. We need to WIN.

It’s all good, the things I’m reading about Walz. Among other things:

He has been an ardent supporter of President Joe Biden and was a surrogate for his reelection campaign. After the president’s disastrous debate performance in June, Walz often took to the airwaves to defend Biden and boast about the administration’s accomplishments, even in the face of Democratic doubts.

After Biden dropped out of the race on July 21 amid rising concerns about his age, Walz took to X, formerly Twitter, calling him “an American hero” and saying that history “will look fondly on his legacy.”

In naming Walz as her running mate, Harris selected a pro-union Democrat who can speak to the concerns of blue-collar workers in Midwestern states – and beyond.

• divinemrsm
    edited August 6

Trish, I, too, appreciate your post. I don’t know what it’s like to have grown up in liberal surroundings, but knowing you and hearing about your experiences is an incredible inspiration to me! I feel like the seeds of feminism lay dormant inside me for decades until many events gradually converged to fertilize the ground, some rains came and then the clouds departed, the sun came out and the seeds finally began to grow. This thread has been like the gardener nurturing the growth and I’m grateful for it. To know that you and other women are out there who’ve been push, push, pushing for women’s equality all their lives is humbling. I am glad to have joined the movement.

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,164

Trishyla: "I tried to join the Cub Scouts in 1966, when I was 8, because they did stuff like learning to make fire and camping."

Me too! I clearly remember in 5th grade when a guy came to our class to talk about the Boy Scouts and try to build membership. I raised my hand to get a pamphlet, but he skipped over me, which got me in an attitude. When he was talking about what the Scouts do, he mentioned learning how to tie knots. Because I'm a smartass, my hand shot up. "I can tie a knot," I challenged.

"Ok, little girl, let's see you do it," and he handed me a stretch of rope.

I then proceeded to tie a perfect square knot, when he was obviously expecting a granny knot. I handed it back triumphantly, he looked at it, untied it, then went on with his speech without acknowledging my knot. What an ass.

• divinemrsm

miriandra, what a piece of sh-t that guy was. It’s tragic that misogyny is directed even at 5th grade girls. I am proud of you for speaking up back then! And you’ve continued to do so on into adulthood!

• divinemrsm
  • divinemrsm
  • divinemrsm
  • illinoislady

Kindness may be achieved by all, rich and poor, learned and illiterate. Brilliance of mind and capacity for deep thinking have rendered great service to humanity, but by themselves they are impotent to dry a tear or mend a broken heart. -unattributed

• illinoislady