Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,258
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady

Doing my heart good too, one beat at a time.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,573
  • divinemrsm

Perfection, dogmomrunner! Lol!

• divinemrsm

Whoa. Starting the day on a serious note. From The Lincoln Project.

• divinemrsm
  • divinemrsm
  • divinemrsm
  • divinemrsm
  • divinemrsm
  • divinemrsm
    edited August 27

Michael Moore’s newsletter is full of hope this morning. I almost hesitate to share it because it’s so upbeat! I don’t want to give in to false hope. On the other hand, can we put some trust in Moore to have reliable insight on what’s happening politically? Maybe. But memories and feelings of the 2016 election will always give me pause. Democracy is on the line this election. I still cannot shake my concerns but I definitely appreciate the good vibes!
    ———

Seriously, Folks, When’s the Last Time You Felt This Damn Good?!

Did it involve ice cream? Puppies? A pedicure? All three?

Michael Moore

It was just 37 days ago when this meme pretty much summed up how we were all feeling in the weeks after the Trump-Biden Debate Debacle:

Within seconds after President Biden began to answer the first question from Jake Tapper, he could not get the words out of his mouth! A horrified nation grabbed its collective sofa seat cushion and shouted a simultaneous “OH NO!! SOMEONE HELP HIM OFF THE STAGE!!” 

It was too late. Slurring his words, losing his place, freezing to regain his balance and the middle of the nonsensical sentence he was in, a sad shell of his former self, Biden imploded in less time (44 seconds) than the Challenger (73 seconds). And all of us, in that instant, knew that the election was over, there would be no recovery from this, Trump would now return to the White House, our Democracy was over. 

For three long weeks of agony we hung our heads and sulked. “Why Lord, why us?”To make it worse, Trump was then shot in the eartip and another prayer went up hoping he was ok, not hurt, not martyred. He then had a boisterous, whackadoodle Convention presided over by Hulk Hogan — and his base ate it up. Millions were re-inspired, and Trump surged ahead of Biden in the polls by 9 points. 

Joe tried to recover in various interviews and speeches. He introduced Ukrainian President Zelensky as “President Putin” at a NATO summit, and later, at a press conference, he referred to Kamala Harris as “Vice President Trump.” We turned off our TVs, we turned off all the lights, we sat in the dark, some of us guzzled wine out of a Costco box, and we saw the future of our country right there on the effing wall.

And then… 

And then… 

AND THENNNNNN… 

A miracle. 

After the worst three weeks of being an American since November of 2016, with all of us about to lose everything we hold dear, President Biden did something no unindicted politician ever does — voluntarily give up power! Step down for the good of the country! George Clooney, who had just raised $30 million for Biden’s campaign two weeks earlier, asked him very publicly to end his campaign. So did I, and I asked all of you to join us in this plea. A few dozen members of Congress joined in, too. And then, Pelosi. 

At 1:46pm on July 21st — that’s just barely a month ago! — Joe Biden announced he was indeed putting the country ahead of himself and would end his campaign. He endorsed his vice president, Kamala Harris, as his replacement to be our next President — and an already anxiety-ridden nation held its breath. 

Was she the right one? Didn’t she already run four years ago — and dropped out before the first primary vote was even taken? What exactly has she done as Vice President? America will NOT elect its SECOND Black president in just eight years!And look what happened the last time a woman ran!

And… and… and…

Jeez! Why are Democrats and Liberals such scaredy cats?! Enough, I say! I’ve met Kamala on a few occasions. I instantly liked her. I met her husband Doug and her stepdaughter, Ella. Such good people. 

Although my first thought on July 21st was for her to really shake things up and break from the past and name a woman as her running mate. Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan. People screamed “NO!” Talk about frightened Democrats! So my pick was another Midwestern hero Governor — Walz from Minnesota — and I asked all of you to send Harris a note and encourage her to not appoint another man who had compared pro-Palestinian protestors in Philly to the KKK, who paid hush money to silence sexual harassment allegations against one of his core cabinet members, and who was opposed by two dozen teachers’ groups for his support of private school vouchers — a key proposal from Project 2025. 

The good news was I had also heard that behind the scenes in the White House, Kamala had made her feelings known that the deaths of thousands of innocent civilians in Gaza was unacceptable. Of course, she’s not the president, she currently holds no power, but I think it’s clear what her moral values are. She refused to attend Bibi’s hateful, insane speech to Congress last month. Instead she went to a sorority meeting. Burn! Trust me, this guy will never forget that. 

So this is a long way for me to get to saying how I’m feeling these days — and I think it’s the same way most of you are feeling (except the cynics — and please stay cynical, we need you!):

I HAVE BEEN FLYING SO HIGH OVER THE MOON FOR THE WHOLE MONTH OF AUGUST! Crazy! Ridiculous!! My smile muscles seem frozen in place! I have not been this happy since the day I got to vote for a man who decided to put his middle name on the Presidential ballot, showing just how fearless he was:

I haven’t been this surprised since the day I fit into a t-shirt I wore when I was 35!

I haven’t been this thrilled since Ben & Jerry’s released Stephen Colbert’s Americone Dream!

I haven’t been this on fire since I first ran for public office at 18!

In the days since the Convention, Vice President Harris has been announcing things I’ve not seen reported in much of the media. She is going to increase taxes on the wealthy and corporations by a significant amount. She’s going to bring back the child tax credit — but by a better margin than Biden’s. Over a week ago she said first-time home buyers are going to get a check from the federal government for $25,000 to help with the down payment. And that her administration will tell companies the price they can charge consumers if it appears they are gouging us. Whoa. Lovers of greed and extreme profits are not going to like that! Sounds un-American! Thank God. 

On this past Saturday morning, in the small rural Michigan town where I’m now from (year-round population: 15,000), an unexpected march took place. Upwards of a thousand people showed up! Great signs, flags (even a Palestinian flag!), all kinds of neighbors and Midwesterners. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a crowd this large here unless it was for MAGAheads. A local women’s group quickly organized this “walk for Kamala“ through the three-block downtown, passing by my apartment and, a few doors down, the nonprofit art house I run (this week we’re showing “Godfather” I & II; the Irish masterpiece, “Once“; the Cannes Palme d’Or winner “Triangle of Sadness” [a brutal satire of the 1%] and “The Shawshank Redemption”. Popcorn and pop is just $2.)

Stay excited my friends! Let’s keep the momentum going! We are unstoppable now. 

— Michael

• divinemrsm
  • illinoislady

Many of us cannot grasp the truth that the time allotted to uson this earth is sufficient for all the Lord has planned for us to do.We don’t need one minute more or one minute less to get the job done:Our greatest fear is running out of time. So we hurry through lifetrying desperately to get everything done: working overtime, eatingfast food in the car, and racing down the freeway. . . . Today, thisvery day, why don’t you think of something that takes a bit of extratime to do and do it. . . . Maybe it will be an act of generosity or amoment of kindness directed towards a loved one or a stranger.Perhaps it will be simply singing a hymn of praise and thanksgivingbecause your heart is so full of gratitude. Don’t wait for anothertime. Rejoice in this day and be glad.Luci Swindoll

• illinoislady

Divine, that is soooo how it is. We want to feel good, but while there is such promise going on with joy and caring, there is that little nagging remembrance. How great we felt when we thought Hillary Clinton would be our next President. We knew how good she'd be and it really was BACK then, all over but the final tally. And then the un-thinkable happened.

I do think this time will work, but there is still that little part of me that says whoa when I want to go. We didn't ALL know TFG then. We Democrats did, but many others did not. They chose to take a chance, and I do think many of them had regrets pretty early on. It did not take long to see the disasters piling up before their eyes. Now people VERY much know what FG is and how he will behave (far worse) were he to regain the WH.

While his loyal people will vote for him because they are so far into cult behavior, they can't imagine doing anything else, there are many who did wake up. Not enough, but many. Then there are Reps. for Harris. Her numbers are continuing to grow. Perhaps a wee bit slower but as it stands Georgia is the only hold-out and there is time yet to change that.

As was mentioned, and maybe it was you Divine, one of the threats now is complacency. It's not over just because things seem so good right now. In fact, now is when the hard work should be most in play. As Walz said — there will be time to rest a bit after we have done all the counting and know who will be in our WH this time. As hard at it as Harris and Walz are and as fearful and damaged as the FG guy is, it should go the way our hopes and dreams would indicate, but it is best not to get too sure of anything until you can do no more work. Still, I have to think — who would want the bleak and barren landscape the FG shows to people when you could have joy, sunshine, smiles and the impetus that will produce a fine working system that is fair and equal and makes sure that people have a chance to survive on a decent level in their life. I think we will get there and I do allow myself the feeling of tempered hope every day now.

• illinoislady

Rotten to the core and farther. Deplorable is rather kind to call them.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady

As much as FG lies and distorts — the technology may just fold over and quit.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady

Facts not seen on Fox.

• illinoislady