Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How About A Stage 4 Gallows Humor Thread?

Options

Comments

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,612
    Options

Oh, this is great!

My DH and I love the movie "Moonstruck". Two of our favorite lines (out of many) are:

1. When Loretta is talking to Johnny in the car about his dying mother and she asks, "How near death is she?"

2. Loretta's mother asking about Johnny's mother. "How's the mother?" Loretta's response is "She dying. But I could still hear her big mouth."

Those crack us up every time.

• olma61
    olma61 Member Posts: 1,016
    Options

I think I saved this from Twitter.

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    Options
    Olma, that is so funny. 😆
    I had a few unpleasant moments this week where it was like I realized, again, "oh shit, I have Stage 4 cancer, for real!" This meme helped cheer me up. And now I have the sudden urge to go check on my own neglected vegetable drawer...

• olma61
    Options

lol my fridge is more like the veggie morgue usually

I was happy when I learned frozen vegetables have as much or more nutrients than fresh

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 746
    Options

Olma,

The emojis are a hoot! Definitely time to lay some veges to rest here..

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625
    Options

Just sitting back and enjoying the humor!

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    Options

Anybody have recommendations for funny morbid shows or podcasts? I've been listening to a grief podcast called "A Good Cry" and it's SO good. They talk about a lot of sad things but it's also hilarious and not depressing to listen to, at least for me. Most of the guests are comedians who have lost a close family member, sometimes suddenly and sometimes after a long illness. It's really interesting to hear their stories.

I also recently finished the third and final season of "After Life", the Ricky Gervais show where he plays a man mourning the death of his wife from breast cancer. If you like him, British tv and humor, and raunchy topics and language, you might like it! It's funny and awkward and sometimes gross but they also manage to get in a lot of deep thoughts about death and dying, grief, and preparing for death. (there are lots of flashbacks to his wife)

• olma61
    Options

most morbid thing I watch is true crime stories on YouTube. No humor there, unfortunately.

This headline made me laugh just now , seeing continued growth next to breast cancer, what else would we expect from cancer but continued growth? There’s a joke about financial markets and drug companies in there somewhere, too.

https://www.onclive.com/view/globaldata-projects-continued-growth-of-her2-breast-cancer-market?utm_source=sfmc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=01252022_OncLive_SEA-22-OSD1249_HER2%20CC%202022_SeaGen_Tukysa_US%20ONLY&eKey=c2VhYnJlZXplMTZAaWNsb3VkLmNvbQ==

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,585
    Options

I’ve watched a few episodes of afterlife, it was a little tough but I like Ricky and British TV. My DH couldn’t watch past the 1st minute of the wife on video, so I have to watch alone, which hasn’t been often during Covid.

• Kikomoon
    Kikomoon Member Posts: 358
    Options

I remember watching a few episodes of Afterlife before my diagnosis and bawling my eyes out. DH would never go for it.

I’ve been cleaning out my stuff and have had the opportunity to destroy some super-unflattering photos taken before smart phones. This way they won’t end up in any slide shows at my funeral 🤣 can’t do anything about the digital ones though

• sunshine99
    Options

Kikomoon, I have a big fear of unflattering photos at my memorial! DH had better not do that to me!!!

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 530
    Options

Lol, Parakeets, I just copied and sent the meme to someone. I also just finished watching the last season of After Life, was crying and crying, yet also deeply appreciated how real and messy that show felt.

I'm going to pick out my obituary photo this weekend, not leaving that up to chance, or to my brother, who seems to love hilariously unflattering photos of me!

• olma61
    Options

good point about the photos, never thought of it before

Im gonna go photoshop my 64 year old face on my 25 yr old body and make that my obituary photo. Maybe make my own slide show too.

• Kikomoon
    Options

OLMA61 - you have me AND DH cracking up over here....and he doesn't like talking about these things so that's something!

• sunshine99
    Options

If my sister is in charge of the slide show at my memorial, it will be beautiful. I do actually trust my DH, but my sister is one of a kind. She did the most amazing slide show for my mom. She and my dad picked out the music. The last song was Johnny Cash singing, "We'll Meet Again". OK, sorry this isn't humor.

OK, how about this one? I really need to get my car repainted. It's a great car and we both love it, but it's sorely in need of a paint job. It probably won't be cheap, and we want to get our money's worth, so to quote Loretta when she's talking to her fiance (sorry, I couldn't get the little doo-hicky over the "e"), Johnny, in the movie Moonstruck about his dying mother, she asks, "So how near death is she?" We think that line is hilarious and laugh, probably inappropriately over it. So how near death am I? Should I get my car repainted?

That was one heck of a run-on sentence. Sorry about that. The same sister I was talking above teaches copy editing. She'd probably be appalled. Sorry sis!

• nopink2019
    nopink2019 Member Posts: 384
    Options

Had to renew drivers license. 1st deliemma, organ donor? I said yes, again. Let them figure it out. Next question, 4 or 8 yr renewal? I chose 8, and laughed. Told my DH I wasted $18 today as I should have gone w/ 4 yr renewal.

• amontro
    amontro Member Posts: 184
    Options

Parakeet - I loved the poster. Thanks for putting it up.

I made my own self laugh the other day. Every few months, my TV does strange things and, after having hour long chat with my cable company, I have finally learned to "reboot" many ways.

My TV picture froze. So, I tried everything: I pulled the clip from the back of the DVR and waited 10 seconds. I pressed the diamond shaped button on the front. I turned the set on and off and the DVR on and off and nothing worked.

In my earlier post, I said I have a tee shirt that says "When I'm dead, pull the plug, then plug it back in. See if that works. So, I went to my wall and unplugged the TV and plugged it back in - and IT WORKED!

• sunshine99
    Options

amontro, that's a good one. Glad your TV is working again. :)

• dancemom
    dancemom Member Posts: 404
    Options

This whole book:

• sunshine99
    Options

Here's why.
  • dancemom
    Options

🤣

The inside of the book gets "worse"

• amontro
    Options

I posted this on another thread:

About 10 years ago, I saw my then primary care doc. He had been aware of my chemo, radiation, scans, treatments, etc.

He opted against my getting an XRay (for something) because, he said: ":I don't want you to glow in the dark."

I have since switched PCPs, but not because of this.

• olma61
    Options

One of my favorite Sopranos scenes is when uncle Junior spoils the surprise party for Carmelas dad. Best line - “At our age it's surprise enough we are still alive in the morning”. Now I can relate, not because of age.

Also funny when he goes ahead and presses 1 on the phone call, because the 35 cents charge doesn’t matter “It’s over anyhow”

here’s the clip

https://youtu.be/2_kPVmRytWs

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 757
    Options

• dancemom
    Options

hey amontro, I unplugged and replugged in our Alexa. She came back to life!

• sunshine99
    Options

Love that one, Tina!

• amontro
    Options

Dancemom -

See, it works! Wait till I tell my kids. (They'll take me seriously and be upset.)

• dancemom
    Options

not sure this is gallows, but...

I just had my first "fill" in my TE. My sister says now she is related to a 1/2 Kardashian.

• Kikomoon
    Options

not exactly gallows humor but still funny and true image

• sunshine99
    Options

Oh yeah, Kikomoon, I totally get that!

Carol