Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How About A Stage 4 Gallows Humor Thread?

Options

Comments

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    Options

Hahaha.

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 757
    Options

Lines Composed After Binge-watching "Bridgerton"

When a handsome likely lover

Boldly strokes my Empire sleeve,

It is then, Dear Reader, I most miss

A proud bosom I can heave.

Sighing, Tina

• amontro
    amontro Member Posts: 184
    Options

Oh, Tina! I hear you. That's why I started a humor thread. I've always said, if ou don't laugh, you'll cry. I wish you the best with your current treatments. I'm taking advantage of it these days.

My daughter and I pulled into her driveway last week. Just as she parked, there was a large bolt of lightening, and a very loud thunder! She said that we'd better stay in the car until it blows over, as I put my hand on the door knob to open, she said "Aren't you afraid, there's lightening!"

I looked over at her and burst out laughing. You should have seen the look on her face.

(Dying from a lightening bolt will shock people, but dying from cancer is expected.)

• parakeetsrule
    Options

The situation that inspired the cartoon is not funny but the cartoon cracked me up. It's the perfect word to describe when family members you don't like are invading your space. 😂

Carolyn Hax: A two-time breast cancer survivor now must face her malignancy-in-law: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/carolyn-h...

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625
    Options

🤣

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    Options

❤️❤️❤️

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,612
    Options

Oh, that's perfect! I may have to start using that one.

• amontro
    Options

Sunshine/Parakeets -

I agree! I will be using Parakeets humor in the future.

A family member, that we haven't seen since covid, will be attending a family get-together next month, and this is just how we feel.

• dancemom
    dancemom Member Posts: 404
    Options

I finished my Radiation treatments this morning. All 34 of them. 7 weeks. My sister sent me this (warning, it's all profanity)

https://youtu.be/5FjWe31S_0g

• parakeetsrule
    Options

imageH/T moth :)

• dancemom
    Options

@parakeet 🤣🤣

• sunshine99
    Options

Hahaha - good one!

• LI77
    LI77 Member Posts: 68
    Options

So our a/c crapped out last week and we needed a new outside unit. They asked whose name we wanted to put the 10 year warranty under, and my wife and I looked at each other and laughed and said it better be her...I think we confused the poor a/c guys (who probably thought we were sisters or friends and didn't understand the laughter). Then later she said that she was going to send me to trade school to learn how to do HVAC repairs, and I said that she wouldn't get a good return on investment (but probably better than my law degree, with my public interest/civil rights/helping people jobs). Meanwhile, I'm wearing a t-shirt that says "living my okayest life." Lol. You have to laugh to keep from crying, no?

• sunshine99
    Options

li77, I love your humor! Thanks for the morning chuckle. :)

Carol

• amontro
    Options

You guys are great keeping this thread up.

I just found out that one of our sister Stage 4 passed the other day. I'm still not over it.

• LI77
    Options

Amontro, I'm so so sorry. Virtual hugs.

I know it's not gallows humor, but I've been wearing a t-shirt that says “dystopia got you down? Try dissociating!" I laugh whenever I put it on. And another one that says “Everything is trash,” and has a raccoon on it

• sunshine99
    Options

Amontro, I'm so sorry. Was she here on these forums? The death of someone we know, even if it's only on these forums, can be so devastating.

Ii77, thanks for the laugh!

• amontro
    Options

I see that when it happens to one of us, it happens to all of us.

My friend was not a member of this group. She was a member of another stage 4 group in my area, and the cancer was in her pelvis.

She was on her way to hospice and she was getting radiation treatments for the pain. She didn't have much time after that. It happened so soon and we miss her dearly.

Thanks for asking.

• sunshine99
    Options

amontro, (((hugs))) and love to you and her friends & family. Cancer stinks!

Carol

• dancemom
    Options

amontro, what sunshine says. Hugs, and it does stink, big time.

Li77, you've got quite the t-shirt collection! Cheers to doing our okeist!!!

• nopink2019
    nopink2019 Member Posts: 384
    Options

Why do they nail coffins shut? To keep oncologists from trying one more drug.

• LI77
    Options

Nopink2019, good one 😂

I ordered some stuff from an Etsy shop and they had a sticker and t-shirt that said something like “metastatic breast cancer, the only bell we’re ringing involves tacos”

• sunshine99
    Options

nopink, I forgot what your post was, but I did read it and thought it was funny.

li77, I'll ring a bell that involves tacos any day!

Carol

• parakeetsrule
    Options

I guess this is what happens when Facebook looks at my cancer group content to see what else I might like. No, I'm NOT interested in these things. Gee, thanks...

• sunshine99
    Options

parakeets, that's one of the funniest things I've seen!

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625
    Options

parakeetsrule - LOL LOL LOL!

Li77 - Did someone say tacos?!

• dancemom
    Options

parakeets 🤣🤣🤣

Thats just so awful in so many ways, and brings up so many questions.

• tina2
    Options

• tina2
    Options

All,

Want to prevent progression? It's easy: just don't sleep!

Here's some cheery (and seriously amazing) news from Medscape.

Breast Cancer Spreads Most During Sleep

Megan Brooks

June 28, 2022

New research shows that the metastatic spread of breast cancer occurs predominantly during sleep, a discovery the investigators called "striking and unexpected."

"This has not been shown before [and] we were surprised, indeed," Nicola Aceto, PhD, professor of molecular oncology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zurich, Switzerland, told Medscape Medical News.

The findings carry potential implications for the timing of biopsy and treatment of metastasis-prone cancers, the authors say.

The study was published online June 22 in the journal Nature.

Circulating tumor cells (CTC) are generally believed to shed constantly or following particular events such as surgery or physical activity; however, the processes that regulate tumor cell metastasis and how circadian rhythms may play into tumorigenesis remain unclear.

To better understand these processes, Aceto and colleagues collected blood samples from 30 women with breast cancer at 4:00 AM and 10:00 AM — times representing the body's resting and active phases, respectively.

The researchers observed that more than 78% of all circulating tumor cells obtained were from samples taken during the resting phase.

This finding is astounding, Harrison Ball, a PhD candidate, and Sunitha Nagrath, PhD, with University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, write in Nature News & Views .

Aceto and colleagues also found that circulating tumor cells generated at night divide more quickly and therefore have a higher potential to metastasize compared with those generated during the day, which "are devoid of metastatic ability," according to the authors, who obtained similar results in a series of mouse models.

The team also observed that key circadian rhythm hormones (such as melatonin, testosterone, and glucocorticoids) regulate circulating tumor cell generation, and insulin promotes tumor cell proliferation in a time-dependent manner, suggesting a "need for time-controlled approaches for the characterization and treatment of breast cancer," the authors write.

Tina

• parakeetsrule
    Options
    I agree, that is astounding. Lol. I wonder how many days I can stay awake before totally losing my marbles?? 😂

It does have some interesting treatment implications though. I wonder if taking my meds at night before going to bed is more effective than other times of day? Would IV chemo be more effective if they gave it to you while you're asleep?