Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,644

Thanks Aprilgirl1. I looked out my window a little before midnight I think, but didn't see anything. I kept drifting off and then waking up to look, but no luck. I have a pretty good view north from my bedroom window, but again, I think you just need to be in much less populated area. Your pictures have helped me know what it would have been like if I could have seen it from here.

Sounds like you're having a great weekend. Perfect day for the ferry and the rest. Enjoy!

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 955

Sunshine99. All the pain is in my left leg which is the surgical leg but behind the knee. I am so glad I decided to go back to PT and got someone who understood what is going on. The program is hard because my surgical leg is week. He is also trying to loosen scar tissue. He had me laughing Thursday. My scar is still dark red. Another patient got worried he was going to have to do the things I was doing. The pt took time to explain to me the difference between most older patients and younger patients. He sees my situation more in younger knee replacement patients. It is occasionally seen in my age group.

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 584

@aprilgirl1, thank you so much for posting the photos. The colours are amazing. Just wow!. To all those needing a hug, or in pain, or feeling a bit off or anxious I send a big hug - in your pockets for support.

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 580

What a beautiful set of pictures. The colors are stunning. We have something stunning here right now. A baby raccoon that was abandoned and our DSIL found her. She has hair, is very sweet but DGD is already attached. Need a rehabber for sure. My sis rehabbed wildlife. She said we'd be involved in this for a minimum of 2 years. I worry the dogs as they are terriers, would harm her. But boy she or he is sure cute.

Did better on fulvestrant shots this time. My fav nurse and she stayed away from the painful area. Still fatigued from yesterday. Making progress on GI issues. Lots of pre and probiotics and Metramucil packets. Gee the orange tastes like Tang. lol.

I hope that everyone finds some peace and less pain and just take care of yourself. I've given years to my work and family and now I'm the one that needs to take care of myself. The rest will have to pitch in or get out of my way. In pockets for scans and may spring put a spring in your step.

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 609

Aprilgirl, I was hoping you'd be able to see the northern lights up there in Washington! My house was socked in fog last night, rats. Those photos are beautiful. Congrats on 4.5 years, also ❤️

Chicagoan, hope you have a great time in London, that's one city I'd like to return to again to see theater and just walk around.

Sending everyone here love and support.

• brutersmom

Tomorrow is my appointment with the new oncologist. Feeling a tad nervous.

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 798

@brutersmom - we are with you in spirit ! I know you are a good self advocate. Sending you support for your appt tomorrow , let us know how it goes and what you think about this new oncologist .

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

brutersmom, thinking of you today as you meet with your new oncologist.

• aprilgirl1
    edited May 20

Hi all , it's 11:19pm Sunday night . I had a busy real estate week and weekend (spring market !).
    My husband and I went to see The Rolling Stones on Wednesday night . We were given tickets by friends who were planning to go but had to leave town. We've seen them before (1989 in Oakland ). Wow did they sound and perform great ! I was super impressed and we had so much fun although it was a late night.

I noticed on Friday that I had serious joint pain and then realized I had accidentally skipped my Celebrex for 2 days . WOW . I took it Saturday am and have felt great since. I am shocked at how much it helps - I highly recommend it if any of you have joint pain from cancer or cancer meds. It's an rx and your doctor can tell you if it interferes with any other meds you take . I am really thankful that I take it !

yep - AARP was a sponsor of the Stones concert;)

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,042

Aprilgirl-So happy you got to see the Stones. Your husband is a cutie!

• threetree

I have some friends who went to this and they all say it was great!

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 609

Aprilgirl, great photo, and I'm so glad you both got to go! Lol that AARP was a sponsor. Also good to hear that about celebrex, I've been taking glucosamine and omega supplements for joint pain, always good to know there's another option!

• aprilgirl1

@threetree i thought of you when I realized I hadn't taken my Celebrex and my overall joint pain was pretty bad . This did not coincide with a faslodex injection. The injections don't bother me (luckily ) but as I've been on Celebrex for joint pain for 1.5-2 yrs I didn't realize how much it was helping. I'm not sure if you have tried Celebrex ?

@chicagoan thank you , he is a cutie :)

@sf-cakes good to know that glucosamine works well for you. I saw a stunning photo of you and your husband on the Mel's living room thread - so much love there ! You are beautiful .

• threetree

Aprilgirl1 - I haven't tried Celebrex because I believe it is one of those NSAID type drugs that can cause bleeding. I've been sticking to Tylenol as much as possible with a very "once in awhile" Advil. I also remember that Celebrex is related to another drug called Vioxx, that they took off the market many years ago, due to heart troubles developing, I think. Celebrex and Vioxx came out about the same time together as new related pain relieving drugs. I was given Vioxx a couple of times years ago, but was never on anything consistently; again, I try to avoid most all of that stuff as much as I can, but it's getting a lot harder. When you mentioned Celebrex, I was going to ask you if you had any concerns about it's possible side effects, since you take it regularly.

• aprilgirl1
    edited May 21

@threetree
    Besides cancer , I don't have any health issues so I'm not concerned about taking NSAIDs. I would have concerns taking an opiate (too strong and too addictive) but I'm not in that kind of pain , especially since Celebrex works well for me. I don't judge anyone in pain who needs strong pain meds- a life in pain is no way to live. My sister has a PharmD and taught pharmacy so I run all medication past her and she thinks it's a good drug for me. Of course, my oncology team prescribes it so they also aren't concerned. Honestly , I feel great and am very active. In general, I'm super healthy - except for this darn stage IV cancer;) ugh ! I know that I'm lucky to feel pretty good and the reality is, we don't know how long stretches of stable disease will last so Carpe Diem .

There is also some addl benefit that I've read on these discussion boards - I can't remember exactly but Celebrex might help block a cancer pathway ? I think Cure-ious takes it as well and I really appreciate what I've learned from her.

• threetree

Aprilgirl1 - Thanks so much for your take on the nsaids. Wow, what a great resource you have in your sister! I have concerns about the nsaids especially, because my father wound up having a major bleed and they told me they thought it was in large part due to the baby aspirin he was told to take in his later years. Granted it happened when he was 88. At the time the dr told me my dad had lost half of his blood volume and it scared the daylights out of me. They transfused him and he pulled through and got 3 more years until he died from heart failure at 91. He had type O- blood and so do I. I've read over the years, that O- (actually all type O blood) is more prone to bleeding than other types. Other types can be more prone to clotting, etc. They noted it during Covid too, that more people with O blood type seemed to fair better, because they were less prone to clotting and so many who were dying were doing so, because of blood clots that formed in their lungs. My mother had O+ and she was told she had ulcers at some point, but I'm not sure if they were bleeding or not. She used to down aspirin like crazy/candy. I think I have a psychological thing about nsaids, because of a lot of that. Also in my case, the medical people have discouraged me from taking nsaids and have encouraged me to just do Tylenol if I have troubles. I will take an occasional Advil in addition to Tylenol when things get a bit worse than normal, but otherwise I try to just tough it out. I just don't know what the answer is.

Heard a little more from my friends re the Stones concert and one of them said it made her feel 17 again! I had actually seen the Stones a couple of times back in the 60's (maybe one of the times was early 70's?), but not since then. This friend who went the other night was part of that crowd. Nothing like still having old childhood friends! I guess they got their tickets way back around Christmas, and to think I hadn't even known they would be in town. Just shows how "out of it" I've become with this cancer and isolation. I love that you are so active, Aprilgirl! More power to you!

• brutersmom

Interesting conversation about NAIDS. I developed stomach issues on NAIDS. Celebrex keeps me awake at night. Tried many of them before cancer for knee pain. I can take advil but only for short periods of time. Since my knee issues I feel like I have turned into a whimp when it comes to pain. I need both Tylenol and advil to sleep at night. I am not sure what I will do if I ever have pain like I had after surgery. I try not to think about it.

• aprilgirl1

@brutersmom - you are not a wimp ! Knee and hip surgeries are a big deal and take time . Plus, the limitations in your mobility before and after the surgery is really hard on you as it's challenging to get around . How was your new doctor ?
    @threetree, I have more concerns about Tylenol for some reason and rarely take it . My father had his first bypass in 1972 and there is not enough room for me to type out all the heart surgeries / replacement parts he has had but he's still alive , will be 89 in July. Due to his history I'm very aware and careful about my health. My sisters and I have not inherited his heart issues , thankfully . I've seen the stones once or twice in the past. We heard about the concert but didn't get tickets - I'm really happy we ended up going (friends gave us tickets ). It's hard to keep up on all that is happening out there for sure when we have so many appts. Plus, if you don't feel good. I sure hope you can get some relief from the aches and pains you are experiencing.

• brutersmom

Aprilgirl1 I am in the process of moving my care. What a different type of cancer center. There was no doubt after my first visit I needed to move my care. I am also going to move my pcp. Then I can decide what to do from there. Yes knee surgery was hard. My first therapy session did not address the difference in the strength of my two knees. My surgery leg was 25 % weaker then my non surgical leg. I was having pain but the surgeon couldn't find anything wrong. I noticed at about 4 months my left leg lacked the muscle of my right leg. I asked for a pt evaluation and went to a new therapist who took my issue seriously. No answers like give it time. I am now doing daily exercises to rebuild the calf and hamstring muscle. My first pt only addressed the quad. It is slowly getting there. I just keep moving forward one step at a time. I am back on Ibrance and I do feel like it is slowing every thing down. I am often fatigued.

• Rosebessie
    Rosebessie Member Posts: 91

@brutersmom Sorry you've had challenges with the after care for your knee. I pray the change of pcp, plus change of Cancer care hospital and new Oncologist will sort everything out so you can focus your mental strength on managing the MBC. It's tough enough dealing with Cancer without tge additional frustration of unsatisfactory care. Sending love and hugs.🤗💕

@aprilgirl1 love that picture of you and your hubby. You make a beautiful couple 💑 .

@chicagoan, @threetree, @sf-cakes, and @aprilgirl1, I've followed the discussion about our different solutions to the medically (and otherwise) induced joint pain. I'm one of a sort. I spent 2021, 2022, 2022 and most of this year in agony from my joints but mostly my right knee. It was excruciating. I tried all solutions discussed. Diclofenic creams triggered my asthma , I had a terrible reaction to Glucosamine+Omega combi supplements only to realise I'm moat likely allergic ti shellfish (it's most crucial ingredient), of course NSAIDs were out of question coz I'm Asthmatic plus cannot risk the bleeding and other side effects, I had my knee injected in the worst experience of my recent memory, I tried the CBD based Trubliss ointment scented with Canphor and several other oils which triggered my asthmadue to the unbearably strong scent..... and of all these guess what?? The CBD thing gave a bit of relief but all others did nothing for me. At that point, I was contemplating knee replacement as recommended by my Orthopaedic Surgeon. That was until I remembered that my first Oncologist always reminded me "Don't forget to take some Loratadine to avoid joint pain", after each bone marrow stimulating injection to boost my Neutrophils. So I bought the antihistamines and guess what!! Within 3 days I was walking pain-free. Yup! To date!! A simple cetrizine or loratadine was my solutuon. And true to word, I've Google numerous medical write ups that explain the connection between suppression of histamines and joint pain relied for patients on the Atomatase inhibitors. @threetree, you may want to Google the connection if like me, you're facing challenges in finding a good solution to the joint pains?? I think there's also some medical literature on the link/benefits. What harm can reading do eh ..... ?? I was losing my sanity over tge unbearable pain. Now I'm back to my daily walks, I thank God🙏. Wishing you all a lovely day. Out here it's 10pm.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,042

Rosebessie-That's really interesting. I've never taken Loratadine. Maybe I'll give it a try. Some years ago, a woman on here was pushing everyone to take it. Turns out it can make blood draws difficult b/c it dehydrates us. But it might be worth that con for the benefit of our joints.

• aprilgirl1

@Rosebessie grest to know about loratadine. Thanks for the compliment about our silly Rolling Stones photo :) my husband is a keeper for sure :)

@brutersmom hang in there . You have been so fit , especially for your age so I'm sure it's frustrating. You will gain strength !

• threetree

Rosebessie - Thanks so much for all the commentary and info. All good stuff. I used to take Claritin with no problems, and it was definitely a help with spring hay fever, but for the last two years or so, every time I take it, it just dries me up terribly; seemingly in minutes. Like Chicagoan noted, very dehydrating. I often have low electrolytes and try like crazy not to get dehydrated. I'd love to take it again, if it didn't bother me so much like it does now.

Also, you mentioned the CBD pain cream you used. My palliative care NP has recommended Dragon Balm (not to be confused with Tiger Balm) to me for some time, but I've yet to try it. My friend who goes to appointments with me, was more excited about it than I was, and she got some for her brothers-in-law and nephews for Christmas last year. I haven't heard yet how anyone likes it, but the palliative care nurse says it's great. I just haven't bothered to go get any yet - have to go up to a pot store.

• brutersmom

@Rosebessie I will get there. It will be good once everything is coordinated.

@Threetree I have same issue with Claritin. It is great for allergies but if I take it daily I get to dry. The best thing I have found for joint pain is exercise. Glucosamine cause me to retain fluid and gain lost of weight. I hate the smell of dragon balm. Triggers my allergies. Haven't tried cbd with thc

@aprilgirl1 I keep pushing. It will get there. Even now I probably do more then most people who have knee surgery. The biggest frustration is I feel like a lot of medical professionals around here treat people that are older and have cancer as incalpable, sick, invalid. I think thatbpart of the reason I don't tell many people I have cancer.

• brutersmom

@Divinersmsm I hear you. I get pretty tired of it. Seems to be happening a lot lately. I often tell people I am 71 going on 39. I haven't figured out how to act old yet. I look more like I am in my early 60's. I take after my dad's side of the family and they all aged well. I am still very active. Go to the gym. Have muscle and like to do things when I have energy. Ibrance sometime slows me down.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,605

I hated when the word “adulting” became a thing. Young people started complaining about having to show up regularly for work, pay bills, grocery shop, cook. Do laundry. Save money. Geeze. People our age (I’m in my 60s) have been doing all of that and more and never expected a pat on the back for it. By the time we reache retirement age, we’ve generally overcome many obstacles and challenges in life. Give us credit!

• aprilgirl1

@divinemrsm i have the same exhilaration when I attend concerts . I really love music in general but especially live music and will continue to see shows as long as I am able to :) I would love to see the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band :)

@divinemrsm and @brutersmom - I also dislike the agism assumptions with fitness and cancer and in general with age ! Age is truly just a number and some of the most fit people I know are over 60. Look at Mick Jagger and Keith Richards running about the stage and all that :)

• brutersmom

Aprilgirl1. I agree.

I have been on Ibrance for about 18 months I keep thinking about how long Ibrance and letrozole will keep working for me. I wish I had a crystal ball. This past week I have started hearing a clicking noise in my knee and going down stairs has started to hurt. It basically is not painful except for that. I am so scared this one is going to go like the left one. The night the miniscus detached was so incredibly painful. The bone scan showed miniscus deterioration under the knee cap. I see the orthopedic surgeon July 2 and I will bring it up to him then. I don't want to go through another year like last year and then all the surgical pain like I had in 2023 combined with the cancer diagnosis. Do I dare even think about this.

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,881

FYI, Celebrex has a far lower GI bleeding risk than aspirin and other NSAIDs do, and it is recommended to take it with food and do not combine it with aspirin (or if you have to, for example to get the blood-thinning effect of aspirin to prevent blood clots, then it should be taken with Prilosec). It does come with the black box warning about possible heart problems, but more recent clinical trials have not confirmed this risk.