Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,172
    edited July 17

”She’s an educator with a doctorate. ” - Devine

A good education helps a lot toward turning away from the stupid yet dangerous insanity that has overtaken trump supporters. However, just like most things in life there are no guarantees. JD Vance is probably a prime example of that.
    Glad you were able to get back on here!

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,278

Long day today but the ah convention takes up a lot of time and I find it (even though I don't watch) a mental distraction. I feel like I can't even check to see if anything important is going on or has happened. That as well as lots to do this afternoon and talked with a friend. We will watch his little miniature Poodle - a bit bigger than our Lil' Red (most on here don't know we got a new dog companion) for a while. Maybe a week or so. Hope they get along. Then time to make dinner, and then the Charter people came. It was a scheduled check for some previous problems.

All in all I missed a lot of the news but just checking before I came to find Pres. Biden has come down with Covid and is returning to the WH to quarantine. Not good news at all. He also seems to have told a news person that his criteria for dropping out of the bid for Pres. again would depend on if a Dr. gave him medical news that indicated he should. Well, that I think would have to come up sometime between now and Nov 6th.

I still have to make sure this is all 'correct' and has come from good sources. I've gotten so touchy lately which is not bad about being presented news.

Good to see you back Divine. Love the reference to the little ear bandage as A " My Pillow". That gave me a hearty chuckle.

• illinoislady

President Biden tests positive for COVID 19: how does it affect his agenda?

The press secretary said the president will self-isolate and will carry out the duties of his office while in isolation.

She said Biden had been experiencing some malaise, a cough, and a runny nose which led to his taking the test.

Although the president will be able to continue managing his responsibilities as leader of the country, he will not be able to campaign on the ground for his re-election bid. This latest development comes amid calls from fellow Democrats for him to withdraw his candidacyBiden had earlier said that he would step down only if a doctor told him that a medical condition had emerged that he would have to deal with.

Just picked this up out of my news feed. I hope his symptoms are mild and of short duration. Still, he could use a little rest. I feel people have upped expectations of him while having next to none for Trump and his band of misfits. It is still maddening that Pres. Biden has been on the job pretty much 24/7 (no year of golf off for him) and one event that didn't go well and he is watched like a hawk and critiqued mightily while the other, an old senile convinced felon makes endless mistakes and gets shot at by his own people. What the hell is wrong with this picture.

• illinoislady

Many in my family are Reps. and voted for Trump and I'm sure intend to do so again if the chance presents. They all had many engineering degrees as well as the one who was a Reps. U.S. Diplomat. I always think they should all end up in the same box of rocks. Why so many well read, highly educated and talented people get sucked in is something of a mystery to me. Since my husband was a Democrat when I met him, it stunned me to find out that most of his family (a large one ) were Reps. The couple who were actually Democrats with my husband have passed on.

I know we all have our flaws, but wanting to vote for a person like Trump and his ilk and standing up proudly about it just seems the sort of thing that should go against the grain for anyone with brain cells at all, let alone those with outstanding credentials.

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,164

“Are you seeing what [viewers] saw, which was moments of frankly, that appeared to be — you appeared to be confused?” Holt asked the president.

“Lester, look, why don’t you guys ever talk about the 18, the 28 lies (Trump) told? Where are you on this? Why didn’t the press ever talk about that? Twenty-eight times it’s confirmed he lied in that debate,” Biden exclaimed.

When Holt protested, “We have reported many of the issues,” Biden snapped back.

“No you haven’t! No you haven’t! God love you,” fumed Biden.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,275

Past time for Biden to step down. It has become too personal for him and he is still assuming he can run the country. No shame in knowing when to step down, but his ego is running the show. This should have been settled over a year ago! Democrats had better get united, behind Biden or Harris, but this constant “he can’t handle the job” news isn’t going to get a win for Democrats in November!

Regardless I am voting BLUE for all candidates running. In my area we have both a PA Senator and Congressman up for reelection.

I don’t trust people that change their strong opinions about Trump! I have zero respect for Vance and Haley! I truly feel sorry for Haley supporters who are now being told to support Trump.

If Trump wins, it will either be because he cheated or Democrats handed it to them with their bickering on who their candidate should be! I am leaning towards a little of both. Sheeesh!🤬

• illinoislady

The important thing is not to stop questioning.  Curiosity has its
    own reason for existing.  One cannot help but be in awe when
    one contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous
    structure of reality.  It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend
    a little of this mystery every day.  Never lose a holy curiosity.

Albert Einstein

• illinoislady

On the way to Marion V.A. Regular scheduled appts. but no time to comment now other than to say, whatever happens — whomever is our nominee, we ALL need to give our utmost support. Being divisive takes time which we don't have now.

• exbrnxgrl

So if Biden steps down, who is waiting in the wings to replace him? I see no one who could jump in at this late date . The republicans are gleeful. I truly think we will lose our democracy.

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 501

There is no one prepped and ready to step in. The Dems in Congress are not talking about Harris taking the top of the ticket so I don’t know who their “perfect” candidate would be. But they better be able to make a lot of money fast (the money accumulated for Biden/Harris would only go to Harris if Biden is out and they better figure out a way to appeal to all of those voters who voted/supported Biden for the president spot. Good luck with that.

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 501
    edited July 18

I don’t know if the link will work but apparently The NY Times feels that some mega donors are pushing top Dems to coax Biden out. The link doesn’t seem to be working but the NY article is “Megadonors Are Plotting to Change Biden’s Mind With Money. Will It Work?”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/17/us/politics/biden-democratic-donors-trump.html?unlocked_article_code=1.8E0.ZIPY.OKa2pD9SEEkI&smid=url-share&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3f5nLW7PGhOQzL6JOGcP81JXoISb4VYF-17_W2CVFVJMd421YDPY0LShs_aem_Fm4v6jn9CAIrQNw1z9FSlA

• exbrnxgrl

I will get behind whoever the Dem nominee is but the Biden issue has already created division. So I ask again, if Biden steps down, who would have a real chance of winning in his place? I see no one at this late date.

• mavericksmom

Harris is the only logical person. I believe she would do well and could beat Trump but again, this was a decision that should have been made a year or more ago.

I am not sure how many write-ins Harris had, if any, but changing now needs the kind of unification I don’t see in the Democratic Party at this time. Democrats NEED to stand united and stop all this bickering! Biden WAS elected by the people to be our candidate. Short of death, or extreme illness, changing now would do more harm than good!

I MO, Biden is not the best to lead the country but he is a hell of a lot better than Trump. If elected, Biden will not survive another four years, but Democracy might have a chance to survive for many, many years!

• exbrnxgrl

Although I have never been a supporter of blind loyalty, the Republicans are and in these circumstances, that will be an advantage.

• trishyla1
    trishyla1 Member Posts: 92
    edited July 18

Who could step in? Gavin Newsom, Gretchen Whitmer, Pete Buttegieg, Mark Kelly, and of course , Kamala Harris.

Young people are very angry with Biden over the situation in Israel/Palestine. They would be far more likely to vote for a liberal woman of color (especially if she broke somewhat with her boss's stand and forcefully condemned Netanyahu) or a liberal gay man, or an astronaut, or the very liberal, youngish, photogenic, governor of the state with the 5th largest economy in the world. Any of them have at least as good of a chance against Trump as Biden does.

Don't get me wrong. I love Biden. But the press has decided to turn on him. Most likely at the behest of their corporate owners. They smell blood in the water, and are like sharks in a feeding frenzy. I don't think they'll let up until he's mortally wounded. Sad but true.

• exbrnxgrl

I wish I shared some optimism regarding a possible replacement. Although young people will be a very important voting block, I don’t know if enough will actually vote. Sad to say but I see neither a woman, someone of color or a gay man being able to best trump. The Republicans will turn up the lies, rumors, and anything dirty that they can think of to tear any of those folks down. Newsom, my gov, would be interesting but I don’t know if he has the name recognition or national presence to get folks to rally around him on such a short time. I am truly heartsick over this situation and I truly hope I’m wrong.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,611

It is sad that this forum has become one of gloom and doom. I do understand why some of you are not optimistic but that is what the republicans wish you to be and you are feeding into their hands. Negativity can be contagious and if you express it to enough people they might become the same way.

You can agree to disagree with me and that is okay but I choose to remain optimistic. I think I'll avoid this forum for now. It has become depressing in tone.

• mavericksmom

I live in PA and very familiar with Newsom but I think Illinois Gov. Pritzker might be a better choice.

• exbrnxgrl

My pessimism about the situation will not change my vote in any way and I do not expect others to share it (my pessimism ). I also cannot be dishonest about my feelings. I am truly afraid that this will be the end of our democracy. The division in the Democratic Party over Biden’s candidacy, while something that is good for Reps, started within the Democratic Party. The Reps watched them do it to themselves. TBH, even if the Dems win, the Reps will refute the results and there will quite likely to be violence worse than Jan 6th.

I don’t want any of this to happen but I am very pragmatic. In the face of an opponent who is willing to lie, cheat, demean, and destroy anything in its path, what’s the solution? They will do anything, literally, legal or illegal to gain control.
    If you feel my honest, though negative, opinions are not welcome here, I will gladly bow out of this out as I do not wish to cause a contagion.

• mom2bill
    mom2bill Member Posts: 7,921

Exbrnxgrl, I believe that this forum should be a place where politically like minded individuals can feel free to share their thoughts. People who are feeling particularly concerned about the potential outcome of the election need a place to blow off steam, and I thought that this was one of the reasons that this board was created. If perceived too much negativity or positivity becomes a problem for someone, they can choose to take a break from the board for a while. I would argue that those who are particularly struggling with feelings of fear or despair probably need this safe space to share those feelings more than those who find it easier to remain optimistic. Please do not feel that your thoughts are no longer welcome or appreciated here.

• trishyla1

Just imagine the excitement if we Democrats have an open convention. This country hasn't had one of those in over a generation. The buzz over who will be nominated would keep millions of viewers tuned in to every single moment of the convention. They would then hear firsthand (with no filters or "interpretation" by corporate media) the vision Democrats have for this nation.

We could easily set up an online system where Democratic voters tell their delegates who to nominate. The roll call of the states would be exciting as hell! We, the voters, would know our nominee before the end of the convention, but the nominees would likely have a pretty good inkling as to the outcome beforehand.

I was in television advertising for many years. You need to create excitement around your "product". Imagine a commercial with the tagline "Trump/Vance are what America's past looked like. Harris/Buttegieg (or Newsom /Whitmer, or Buttegieg/Pritikan) are what America's future looks like".

That kind of a campaign would bring all those Obama voters back to our party. Plus all those young people who really do want to vote for Democratic ideas, but call Biden "Genocide Joe". Plus, there's the added benefit of a much shorter window for Republicans to attack our nominees. Win/win/win/win!

• exbrnxgrl

mom2bill,

Thank you for your kind words. For as liberal as I am, I am heavily invested in reality as well, and our current situation in the US presents a very ugly reality. This is a reality that I don’t see having a good outcome for the US. And again, I hope I am absolutely wrong!

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,576

I agree with mom2bill’s post above. This is not a case of someone here saying they agree with the Republican agenda and attacking Democratic ideals. We have a member who’s sharing deep concerns about the election and whether the Democrats are doing the right thing. Since we are a very small group, we should be able to confide in one another on a personal level. There are social media groups to join that offer the optimism some prefer. There’s nothing wrong with having a positive outlook and hey, I wish I did! You all know I will vote blue no matter what. But the upcoming election is a dicey, iffy situation and I can’t pretend I’m not concerned. There ‘s the expression, “Hope for the best, plan for the worst.” That might kind of describe how I feel on some levels.

• exbrnxgrl

Thank you , Camille. I am not joining the Reps and remain unabashedly liberal, I just can’t pretend I don’t have these concerns in a very real way given what we’ve seen. I don’t want this to happen but there are times in life when I just can’t be a Pollyanna.
    I know some of you understand me, but if my “negativity” really bothers anyone, I know how to exit and will honor those feelings.

• trishyla1

Just saw reporting that Obama and Pelosi are both saying Joe may leave the race soon. It makes me very sad, but his time has come and gone. I hope he listens to the voices of reason. As depressed as I get (I'm right there with you, Caryn) I think it's a blessing in disguise. I 100% believe we can blow the doors off this contest with a younger nominee. We can really pound Trump on his advanced age and potential dementia. Plus, we put thd focus back on project 2025.

• exbrnxgrl

”We can really pound Trump on his advanced age and potential dementia. Plus, we put thd focus back on project 2025.” -trishyla

Thank you. That’s the most cogent argument I’ve seen for a replacement. I still can’t fathom who that would be.

• illinoislady

I don't wish anyone to leave. I value all comments and there are those I agree with and some I don't. Our differences expressed help us make a lot of our more 'final' thoughts and decisions. So, I respectfully wish to parrot what Camille offered.

Frankly, I think everyone here is likely afraid to a degree and certainly having a lot of doubts. We have the other side that lies, suppresses, mis-informs, uses conspiracies and says it all with great conviction. Then, if that weren't enough our lovely rt. wing media fills us up the rest of the way.

It is easy to suddenly discover you are feeling a bit of doom and gloom and feel hesitant about how things are going to go. As someone said — there is indeed some blood in the water. Just before I came here though I did in fact read that Pres. Biden is NOT way down in the polls. He is even and in a couple of places a point or two ahead. The rt. media is not willing to tell you that but it seems to me that if you read down far enough it will be there because they do have some obligations to meet as far as truth. It is just by the time you read or listen to enough of the first part, you are more likely to miss the good kernel. The media has us where they want us.

Another thing I read on the way here is that VIEWERSHIP of the RNC convention is way down. IN other words, all the fancy lip work they are doing there is not getting much of an audience. People are NOT tuning in. The word was AND it certainly has a ringing sound to me — that everyone is tired of Trump, tired of the chaos and lies and frankly it sounds like many of them have some of our same issues here. Nearly burned out from ALL of it. So, Trump has picked a person he thinks will help him win but more and more as I hear about all the ERASED tweets and negative things and Vance conspiracy theories and his white supremacist holier than thou attitude, the more I think Trump picked a loser like himself.

Anyway, I think it far too late (unless something totally drastic took place) to switch now. Yes, I definitely think it could be close, but a couple of months (though I think she would do fine) just is not enough to push VP Harris. We have to yell louder than the rt. and their blood sucking media and stand behind Pres. Biden. Play it like they do — just keep shouting till they walk away holding their ears. They are not going to stop until they are forced too. We can be a force. Because we are a force.

So, I hope you all will stay here. We are not going to agree on every little thing. But your voice, as well as your ideas have so much value and they help me define my feelings which I often don't express so well. Perhaps in many ways you do that for a lot of people here. Most of you, I have little doubt are far smarter that I could ever have hoped I'd be so I depend on the sharing I find here. If I seem wishy-washy at times just know that you may have given me a special idea that I didn't even realize was trying to germinate inside.

You ladies here are talented, smart, intuitive and not afraid to say how you feel. We may not always pick the best words or present our ideas as logically as it might be nice to — but we are for each other and so important we want what is right and fair for everyone — even those who seem against us. We are a large part of American's citizens, and we count, so I sure hope we can keep counting on each other.

• trishyla1

I have to say this thread is my lifeline for all things political. I seldom post because the amazing regulars post such great memes and links that I don't need to. I appreciate each and every viewpoint expressed here. I may not agree with every one of them, but they are always thoughtful and heartfelt. Thank you all for providing such a safe and welcoming space.

• mavericksmom

I took a break and see nothing wrong with doing so, but I also, totally agree with what everyone said in these posts!

Ex, you state exactly how I feel! I agree, I too feel I am not a pessimist, I am a realist! We all learned from breast cancer that a positive attitude goes a long way, however a “Pollyanna” attitude is better left to the movies.

This election is like no other and it can feel depressing at times. It’s unrealistic to think our founding fathers weren’t afraid, depressed, and doubtful sometimes as they plotted to create our country.

Feeling depressed, afraid, angry over the political climate created by the Republicans does not mean any of us are giving up! We will all vote Blue!

Remember it is all about the Republicans now because of their Convention. There will be a surge for a week or two before the “air clears” a bit. Thankfully the Democratic Convention is yet to come!

I do have concerns because I don’t trust the Republicans (or Russian influence) and I expect them to bring up legal issues and try to prevent the Democrats from allowing Biden to step down and Harris to take his place at the top of the ticket!

They know Trumps violent tendencies rubbed a lot of their party members the wrong way and they will try to push the “Trump really changed from the attempted assassination,” scenario but as they say, a leopard doesn’t change its spots!

On the upside, Harris events are gaining a lot of support from wealthy donors and some events will be sold out soon!

Thank you all for sharing your feelings! This is a great group and I appreciate all of your thoughts!