Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,504

Another fantastic convention night. Even the roll call was cool with the DJ providing the musical background. I loved Doug's recounting their love story, and the Obamas knocked it out of the park. Oh my, how lucky we were to have had him as president!

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,258
  • illinoislady
    edited August 21

The moment that will haunt Trump til his last breath

• illinoislady
  • divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,573

Post after post of wonderful memes this morning!!! Very inspirational! I saw so e clips of Obama’s fantastic speech and his comment and hand gesture about TFG being obsessed with “size”—-perfection!!! Just loved it!! You gotta LOVE when a former President cracks a joke like that!!!

It’s been hard to stay awake to watch the speeches which come on after ten pm (Biden didn’t air until almost 11:30 pm the first night) where I’m at. It looks like they’re available to rewatch on YouTube, I’m going to check that out.

• illinoislady

Joy is everywhere; it is in the earth’s green covering of grass; in the blue serenity of the sky; in the reckless exuberance of spring; in the severe abstinence of grey winter; in the living flesh that animates our bodily frame; in the perfect poise of the human figure, noble and upright; in living, in the exercise of all our powers; in the acquisition of knowledge. . . Joy is there everywhere.     -Rabindranath Tagore

• illinoislady

Well, I was able to watch parts of the Obama's speeches last night and they were wonderful. It is such a great way to relive 2004 and feel the same (almost more) hope, inspiration, and deep longing for someone who cares deeply about us - not themselves. For someone who KNOWS they are just like us and who has struggled at times just like us. When you can walk in someone's else's shoes and know they know just what yours are like too, there can be no comparison.

It is a bit of a shame that the speeches are 'late' for us in our time zone, but we can get them and of course, in general most of the really good parts find their way to lots of 'new' repeats.

I too, by the way, was taken by the size reference former Pres. Obama made. I thought it was hilarious and guaranteed to use up at least one whole bottle of ketchup.

I guess if I had to choose what bugs me most now it is that so many people seem to remain confused about our economic and immigration statuses. Having been convinced apparently sometime in the past that the FG's was far better than it ever was (in reality it was mostly disaster) people just can't seem to figure it out now. I'm concerned about that part of our message. I do think the young people mainly get it. It is the older ones who in many cases did fall for the FG's pronouncements. They can't seem to equate that the high prices will fall in line and that they were in fact a result of the tariffs and supply lines that were one of the main parts of the FG's time. Just because we got Pres. Biden doesn't mean everything that FG did just instantly vanishes and no longer is an issue.

As for the rest though, I do think we are in really good shape. I in fact, think to a degree it is likely to only get better. It is the former that I worry will make the election closer. We need to win and win really big, but we do need to find a way to show people that the border (problems) is partly there because FG talked the Reps. in giving him something to use and the other will in time even out. But my hope is strong. Just as strong as Michele Obama and Kamala Harris.

• illinoislady
  • exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,170

I am sad to say that there seem to be many who have no understanding of economics beyond their personal budgets. As to immigration , there seems to not only be a lack of understanding, but too many eager to believe untruths about immigrants.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,609
  • betrayal
  • betrayal
  • betrayal
  • betrayal
  • betrayal
  • ruthbru

If you missed the role call last night; here's Georgia! A little more fun than the RNC and their old white guys!

• illinoislady

Genocide Don

By Richard Hine • 21 Aug 2024

View in browser

Each day without a ceasefire in Gaza means more civilian casualties, more destruction of infrastructure, and worsening conditions for the people of Gaza.

It's horrifying to imagine a major-party candidate for US President would even hint at delaying a potential ceasefire for his own political benefit.

But Trump is no normal candidate.

Trump has already left a trail of dead in his wake

Trump has frequently taken actions or made decisions that placed lives at risk solely for his personal political gain or to advance his own agenda:

• His withdrawal from the Paris Agreement was a massive setback for the world's fight against climate change, setting the stage for ongoing environmental degradation and untold future public health crises.
    • His embrace of vaccine skepticism and lack of leadership during his first flu season as President contributed directly to thousands of preventable deaths across the US.
    • By withholding military aid to Ukraine for 55 days in 2019, he hampered that country's ability to defend itself, emboldening Putin, and potentially adding to front-line casualties.
    • In the midst of the pandemic in 2020, his psychopathic recklessness and malignant narcissism were on full display as he promoted fairy-tale thinking, promoted unproven cures, and even told Americans they should accept the deaths of their loved ones as a sacrificial donation to his re-election campaign.
    • After being rejected by voters in 2020, he incited the January 6th insurrection, resulting in multiple deaths, numerous injuries, and significant trauma not just for all involved, but the entire nation.
    • In May 2024, he publicly floated the idea that Putin should keep Wall Street Journal reporter Evan Gershkovich imprisoned until after the election, clearly believing that his continued detention would benefit him politically.

Against this backdrop, it's entirely plausible that, as Judy Woodruff of PBS said yesterday:

"The reporting is that former president Trump is on the phone with the prime minister of Israel urging him not to cut a deal right now because it's believed that would help the Harris campaign."

Today, Woodruff has clarified that her televised statement was based on reports she had read in Axios and Reuters, reports that both Trump and Netanyahu have denied.

But given the corruption and mendacity of both these leaders—and the coziness between them that was apparent during Netanyahu's recent visit to Mar-a-Lago—they are not likely to admit to participating in such a despicable-but-entirely-plausible criminal conspiracy.

If true, this is "balls to the walls treason"

The Lincoln Project summed up what many were thinking, writing on X:

Donald Trump is undermining US foreign policy to win an election. He's willing to burn it all down to get what he wants. There's absolutely no line he won't cross.

As MSNBC's Steven Benen points out:

During Donald Trump’s presidency, the Republican expressed outrage when U.S. officials interacted with foreign officials without coordinating with his administration. In fact, at one point, Trump talked about charging former Secretary of State John Kerry with a crime.

The fact that Trump is meeting with and talking with Netanyahu in the midst of these negotiations is itself scandalous.

If he's using these conversations to boost his own political fortunes, that would be, in the words of actor Steven Pasquale, "pretty balls to the wall treason."

Thanks for reading! While paid subscriptions (billed to TLD Media LLC) and one-time tips are always welcome, all content to this ad-free newsletter is free, so subscribe for $0 and you won’t miss anything. And feel free to share this content knowing there’s never a paywall.

This has now come up twice since I started reading. Sometimes I actually try not to read so much because it gets me so angry and right at the moment it seems that there is not a "strong" confirmation on this information. The fact that I've read it in two different places though gave me the impetus for going ahead and putting this in here. I'm just totally disgusted. We are already dealing with the FG, butthead and butt in that he is, messing up one of the greatest border solutions we likely could come up with supported by both sides.

I so hope there is a way for the powers that be to get enough information to be able to be sure just what went on. That said, things are moving so fast that I'm not sure it will make a lot of difference by the time the election actually comes — but I'm so tired of allowing anyone to interfere in our government conducting business and especially something so needful like getting a lot of Israel and Hamas settled.

He tried to interfere and keep Evan Gersowitch held by Putin because he thought it would help him. The man has absolutely no care for anything or anyone and will destroy anything on his way to trying to get his way. Why people refuse to accept or see the REAL truth of what FG is just mystifies me. Surely there were plenty of people who were hurt on his way to losing the 2020 election and long after. Who knows, maybe they had to go totally back in the woodwork, or died from Covid or something else, but why FACTS are almost always refused when they are about FG I really don't know.

• divinemrsm

Omg, Ruth! I LOVED Lil Jon coming out last night for Georgia during roll call, rapping “Turn Down For What”!!! One of my all time favorite raps, and I’ll never forget Dancing With the Stars contestant Alfonso Riberio (2014) performing the Paso Doble with pros Whitney Carson and Lindsay Arnold to “Turn Down for What” and they SLAYED it!! (Riberio went on the win the Mirrorball Trophy that season. Ruth and I are big fans of the show). Lil Jon was born & raised in Atlanta, Georgia.

• ruthbru

Thank you for sharing, Divine. I had forgotten all about that performance!

• ruthbru

I LOVED every moment of last night's convention!!!!!!

• divinemrsm
    edited August 22

I saw Bill Clinton’s speech last night. It was good tho it felt like he, too, is showing his age. I spent this morning watching the other main speeches on YouTube. Oprah was fantastic! I totally loved Hakim Jeffries! Pete Buttigieg was great!
    And Tim Walz was Above and Beyond!!!

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady

I've had the speeches on every night, but often have to listen to some with half an ear as I'm trying to get things done around home. So, I have to go back and find Jeffries speech. I did not get to see all of it or Oprah's.

Our lineup has been so good. I did read that since the Loon only needs a small margin to squeak himself through the EC, our side has to get a lot more. Of course, that has been the problem for a long time. You can get tons of votes that will not necessarily help you if you do not get a far higher margin of the EC voters. I hope we are able to do away with the EC this time out. Should have happened a long time ago and we all know Hillary Clinton should have been elected.

I do think Harris will do it, but at the same time I sure would like to see her get as high as possible in EC votes. That will generally take care of the aftermath that the Reps. and Loon will try and put us through. I do dread that part, but we will get through.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady

Can't come soon enough for me.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady