Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

1158715881589159015911593»

Comments

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 941

Carole will be thinking of DH and you tomorrow and wish him well. Keep us posted for sure.

Illinois I'm sorry you are struggling and also send along a big virtual hug. I've been mulling over various things lately (for me a bit too much) and it's unpleasant. I probably need to journal it out a bit. 🫂🤗👐

Betrayal your day folding the laundry and watching the deer sounded lovely. I love fall, but now that we're living in the south, I find myself doing some fall decorating while being sad the outdoor pool closed. Wierd.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,842

Plumber here at 9 am so able to get early start on repairs. Will get him to determine if leak was in feed line or water line to ice maker. If feed line then it will be covered by insurance; if water line (plastic) we get to foot the bill. Either way, he is installing copper feed to ice maker port on refrigerator rather than plastic line. Will have to get refrigerator repair company back to make connection to ice maker though. So another call to make this week.

Sent soil sample to PSU for analysis since we have been unable to grow anything on one section of the hill, including pachysandra, which grows just about anywhere. Results arrived and show we need to do some soil amendments and then I would like to get a landscaper to plant rhododendrons there. There is a very tall tulip poplar growing there, >100 feet, so anything planted would be under its canopy and need to be a shade plant. If we can then get pachysandra to grow, there would be less weeding needed.

Carole, hope your husband does well today and hope they keep him overnight rather than discharge to home. I do believe that stay overnight allowed them to assess my pain meds needs and gave me a chance to recover from the anesthesia plus meet with PT (which wasn't all that good). PT I had at home was better.

Was hoping to get to Costco with DS today if plumber finishes early enough. Don't need a lot because freezer in house is still off limits and other 2 are full though I have been working on depleting them. Freezers in refrigerators are a smaller side by side and the other is a small bottom one, so I still have a free standing one for most of my food needs. So I have some room and once I can offload overflow on those 2, I will have plenty of room.

Illinoislady, I hope today will give you what you need to end the doldrums. It's tough when we are hit with so many onslaughts at once.

Taco, I am sure you will love your home when it is repainted. Even though you won't have your furniture yet, it will be a chance to re-experience those feelings you had when you first moved into this house. A sense of newness and family experiences lie ahead.

Plumber found leak. It was the feed line to the refrigerator and not the water line, halleujah.

Off to Costco. Hope everyone has a great day. It is sunny here and supposed to hit 80 this afternoon.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 356

Carole - thinking of you and DH and hoping for a smooth surgery and recovery.

Taco - by the end of the week you will have a ‘freshened up’ house. Enjoy!

Betrayal - Yay on the feed line. Problem can be repaired and paid for by insurance.

Reader - good to ‘see’ you.

I’m dragging myself off to the gym. Have a good day everyone!

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,891

Happy relationships depend not on finding the right person, but on being the right person.     -Eric Butterworth

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,891

Well, of all things. Turns out I have Covid. Cindy (I think it was you) who gave the link to send away for covid home tests). That said, I don't know how long I have had it but must 'wonder'. My symptoms actually began right after I went to the walk-in clinic a few wks prior when I found the two very, very baby ticks on me. So late in the year I got worried — so went to and got an antibiotic. Within the first dose and a half a day I started with reactions —- which I falsely assumed to the antibiotic and maybe age. I had never had a reaction to ANY antibiotic before, but you know 79 now — so it just seemed like 'reactions' had finally reared its ugly head. I'll never know for sure, but I'll always wonder if I got my covid at the clinic.

Anyway, not a candidate for the quick covid cure after all this time. I trust my PCP with all my heart. So, she said we are going to knock this for a loop. I have two antibiotics to take — that will cover anything nature could throw at me right now. Also a capsule for the coughing that I can take three times a day. Big help for me since I was now coughing so much I would throw up a little. The a nice Medrol pack to give my lungs a lot of support. PCP said the recent radiation still has the power to make me a little on the 'gaspy' side and all the coughing just wearing. So, I'll have to heal at a slower pace, but it is a huge comfort to finally know why I felt so bad when I had every reason to feel good. I'll get there is much slower.

Well, anyway, I've read your entries and I'm with you all. Betrayal - sure good news about the water line. Fall, its a lot of work here, but I must say I do love the changes. Hate to be bare all winter, but then I celebrate with my Sentinels that keep watch over my yard and property as we wait for Spring. With the strange turn of events here — not sure how much will get done. leaf blowing and mulching.

Hope you all stay well and hugs to recent operations and a hope all went well.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,842

Illinoislady, glad you finally have a dx but not glad that you have Covid. You have really had some medical challenges lately and I am so glad your PCP has taken a proactive tactic to get you back on your feet again. You just need to let nature take its course now for recovery will be slower than you wish. Hopefully you start to feel better in a few days.

We can't find the part the plumber was supposed to leave and think his helper accidentally picked it up not knowing why we wanted it. The bill is worded to reflect it wasn't the water line to the ice maker but the feeder line so we will see if SF will consider it. Getting hit with unexpected expenses after planned expenses is a bite to the budget especially when we had other jobs in the pipeline. The refrigerator tech comes Friday and we will see whether he finds an issue with the ice maker or due to the age of the refrigerator, he recommends replacing it now. It is extremely hard to get the refrigerator out due to its size and the fact it is a built-in.

Costco run with DS was profitable for him since I buy the groceries and he buys me lunch there. I love their pizza and always get a slice. DD and DSIL will get some muffins, and some Rice Krispy treats (shared with DS). Got some chuck roasts for the freezer as well as ground beef.

The last time I bought a chuck roast at the grocery store it was so tough we could not eat it, so I won't buy them there again. I use the oven bags to make Yankee pot roast with them and have never had this experience before. I have a seal a meal machine so they were sealed, are flat and frozen in the freezer here in the kitchen. Now that they are frozen I will be able to move them to the garage freezer.

Tomorrow is drywall installation so I did some cleaning on the first floor. They still have the barriers up and so far have been good about clean-up. The kitchen floor really needed mopping as did the powder room and laundry room. I've been working in the other rooms as well, so I know vacation is over.

It was supposed to get to 83 degrees today, but not sure if it did. It was sunny and that makes me happy. Hope everyone had a good day.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 356

Jackie - so sorry to hear that you have Covid but at least you have an answer and meds to get you back on track. Please make sure to take care of yourself and not overdo it. (Hugs).

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,303

Wee oh, I’ve missed a lot. Jackie, worst of all, you getting Covid. If I were a betting woman, I’d bet like you - that you picked it up at the clinic. Hope the rest of your family stays safe.

Carole, hoping the knee replacement went well.

Betrayal, glad it was the part covered by insurance and hope without the part your insurance doesn’t second guess it. I just tossed out the parts from my boiler that failed causing the flooded basement. They said to hang onto them; they’ve sat in my garage for 2 yrs!

Harley, sad news about your friend being dx with ALS.

Taco, so exciting, the painting will be great!

Reader, fall is a hard season, also a beautiful season.

Monday I had mammo & ultrasound. I’m now getting “screening” vs “diagnostic.” So I was happy to be in & out quickly. And all is clear, they’ll see me next year.
    Then I had a cortisone shot in the sheath of the bicep tendon. Kind of painful but quick. It was a busy doctor day.

This morning I met gf’s for a walk in the park. We got in over 3 miles! Beautiful weather up until Thursday. It was 80 today & yesterday.

This afternoon was my yearly eye exam and I had her do contact lens exam as well - not covered by my insurance. My eyes are still dilated. Now I go back tomorrow for a lens check, at 8:30 AM! This night owl didn’t have much of a choice on availability. I see a nap in my future tomorrow.

I received the water bill for the past 6 months and it was about $100+ more than I anticipated. We had the meter replaced and I thought it must be an error. But they said the old meter was blank with no reading, so they average the last 3 for the same period - which included the flooded basement firm 2 years ago. I tried to reason with them, no use. I get to bite the bullet for their faulty equipment. Not happy over it.