Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

1158515861587158815891591»

Comments

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 350

Carole - thank you for the update on Puffin. May she rest in peace and may her family find comfort.

Teka - thank you for the update on Sunshine. I pray that she is comfortable and at peace.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,290

My thoughts are with Puffin's family & friends. And with Sunshine too.

• rockym
    rockym Member Posts: 377

Well, 60 in a couple of weeks. Perhaps that now makes me an "older person." I often read posts on Reddit and so many of those ladies are in their 30s. Heck, some even in their 20s. I posted a little in the past few months, but I feel so bad for them being so young. I was 46 in 2011 when I was first diagnosed and joined BCO.org. I think I posted a lot on August Chemo or Surgery. It's hard to recall, but this site got me by.

So, here I am again. 13 years after my first diagnosis. My mammo, then ultasound and then biopsy came back with IDC ER+PR+Her2- again. Same breast, same area so I went to my original breast surgeon who then gave me a little advise and told me to see my oncologist immediately. I really liked both of them back then so I felt like I wasn't totally on my own. My oncologist started me on Arimidex immediately. I then went for blood tests (negative), genetic testing (negative), MRI (yep it's there), tumor markers (negative), a bone scan (no bone mets) and a CT scan (enlarged lymph nodes in abdomen). Those lymph nodes got me over to a PET scan which showed metabolic activity in those nodes so biopsy was next up.

I had to wait 4 weeks before the biopsy. I did everything I could to not freak out. I was prepared for Stage IV, but hoped it was a false positive. I cannot even describe the emotional toll this has taken on me. The biopsy finally came and sitting in my inbox was the pathology the very next day. It looks as if everything is normal. My MO will talk to me more this Monday. I went ahead and made another appointment with my surgeon, but he talked about me needing an Oncoplastic surgeon. I didn't really understand what that all meant at the time, but when he did my surgery years ago it was a small mass and he took care of everything. Anyway, it's been 4 months since the mammo and 2 since the diagnosis. I know I should be happy that it's not Stage IV, but the idea of losing my breasts and what follows is really getting to me tonight. This was suppose to be my best year yet. I had so many plans and now I feel lost.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,290

Rockym - so sorry you're having to deal with a recurrence. It's great that you like & trust your docs. And fantastic that it's not Stage 4. But still…the waiting.

I'm 10 years out from my recurrence in the lymph nodes and chemo & more surgery & more chemo & radiation. I was in my 60s during my first diagnosis. Yes - it was really traumatic loosing my breasts, but on the other hand, I was relieved to believe I had finally conquered the beast. So far that's true. I know you can handle whatever the news is Monday but we're all here for you.