We are 196,350 members in 81 forums discussing 144,710 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Growing Our Friendships After Treatment → Topic: CRAZY TOWN WAITING ROOM - TESTS coming up? All Stages Welcome.

Topic: CRAZY TOWN WAITING ROOM - TESTS coming up? All Stages Welcome.

Forum: Growing Our Friendships After Treatment —

For those who have met on Breastcancer.org and want to continue growing their cybersibling friendships beyond cancer.

Posted on: Jul 18, 2015 05:14PM - edited Feb 20, 2016 09:31PM by SlowDeepBreaths

SlowDeepBreaths wrote:

I'm hoping there isn't another thread like this. I did a search and saw one for stage 4, but nothing for everyone else. My very special friend on BCO (Tomboy), and I have talked about a Crazy Town thread for awhile now. I know she will be happy I finally took the bull by the horns!!

I wrote a little story about visiting Crazy Town last year on my blog, and I received some lovely emails from women all over the world talking about how terrifying those feelings can become. I thought I would share that story with my BCO sisters. I know many of you can relate to the craziness of worrying about recurrence or progression. I think my experience epitomizes the crazy place our minds can go. I've found when I can laugh at myself, I always feel better.

"My master bath has its own little room for the toilet. The sink, shower and tub are all in the same room. At night when I have to use the bathroom, I always turn on the closet light which is right next to my sink. This way I don't have to turn on all the lights above the sink. They are very bright and there are a lot of them. I do this so the brightness doesn't wake up my DH. Being the OCD person I am, I always wash my hands after using the restroom – even in the middle of the night.

One night last week, I was doing my usual ritual and I caught a glimpse of a big blackish/brown mark on the upper left side of my chest.This thing was huge. I could feel my heart beating out of my chest when I caught a glimpse of it. I'm sure many of you will know what I'm talking about - that feeling of dread.I ran my fingers over it and it felt raised. I couldn't imagine what it could be – it was SO big. I thought, "Oh great, here we go again, now I've got skin cancer." Then I decided to risk waking DH up by turning on the millions of lights above the sink. Then I got a closer look. UNBELIEVABLE!!……it was a piece of chocolate from a cookie I had eaten earlier!!!!! Apparently it had melted into my chest and I went to bed that way. Can you imagine?? Now if that doesn't give you a good laugh, I don't know what will. CRAZY TOWN!!!"

I have many stories since diagnosis. I call it going to Crazy Town. Some of them are funny, others not so much. I usually go there in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping, and my mind wanders. There are no trains, planes or busses out of Crazy Town in the middle of the night. I also go there at times when I'm waiting on test results. I hope we can all share our Crazy Town stories. Talking about it has helped me to stay on the outskirts of the town. I've been really good about not visiting lately, but this week it's been a real challenge.

If you have tests coming up, or you just have a day where you're worried more than usual, or if you just want to hang out and chat, please stop in to visit. It is my hope we can have some fun here and get each other through on difficult days with humor, kindness and hugs!!

Much love to all,

Beppy ツ

P.S. If you've just been diagnosed, I strongly suggest starting a blog. Whether it be just for yourself, or you'd like to share it with others. It's been a good outlet to get my feelings out as well as a wonderful timeline to refer back to when needed.

Great info about breast cancer and PTSD:

http://www.healthline.com/health-news/cancer-treatment-leaves-survivors-with-ptsd-scars-031215#3

Dx 4/2016, TN mets to lung. VATS left upper lobe wedge resection. "Fall seven times, stand up eight" Japanese Proverb Dx 7/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (FISH) Dx 7/2013, IDC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (FISH)

Page 438 of 439 (13,166 results)

Posts 13111 - 13140 (13,166 total)

Nov 11, 2017 05:33AM proudtospin wrote:

sandy, great to hear when stuff works

Cold cold here, need to head out to pick up some stuff but gonna put it off, maybe it will warm up,a bit? Well my tooth still sensitive after yesterdays visit to dentist, hoping the nerves settle down else he threatened me with a root canal which i would so not want to do

iris Dx 6/2008, DCIS, Stage 0, ER+ Dx 2/2017, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, 1/1 nodes, ER+, HER2+

Nov 11, 2017 12:23PM Lucy55 wrote:

Iris ...Not cold here ..we are definitely heating up for summer !!! I hope your tooth has settled down and you don't need a root canal .I had one this year ...not fun in the chair , or paying for it. !!! 🙁

Dx 8/27/2014, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 9/15/2014

Nov 11, 2017 01:08PM proudtospin wrote:

lucy, i have never had a root canal, this actually was my first crown! Guess my string of luck on dental stuff has run dry. It feels better today. Actually my contractor guy started to exlpain the process, i shut hi down qiuckly

iris Dx 6/2008, DCIS, Stage 0, ER+ Dx 2/2017, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, 1/1 nodes, ER+, HER2+

Nov 11, 2017 04:28PM queenmomcat wrote:

Lucy55: having wrestled my furnace to a temporary standstill 12 hours before an hours-long power outage and 24 hours before a cold snap....do tell. How warm is it where you live? (I'm currently in Vermont, watching snowflakes drift down.)

Dx 5/27/2015, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 7/7/2015 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 9/1/2015 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 12, 2017 05:29AM Tomboy wrote:

Ouch that's cold! How can you stand it! Wish I could come see you and feel the heat, Lucy! I'm such a feeb!

"I will sit right down, waiting for the gift of sound & vision" David Bowie, Rest in pax, my beloved changeling... Dx 6/8/2012, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 25/30 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Nov 12, 2017 07:44AM queenmomcat wrote:

Tomboy: we stand it by layers, wool, down, bitching a lot and holding our hands up to the computer when friends in warmer climates complain about how hot it is where they live. (or why it's nice having connections in the Southern Hemisphere) On the other hand, where I live is low cost of living, no traffic to speak of, and safe to walk around at three in the morning, within reason.

Dx 5/27/2015, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 7/7/2015 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 9/1/2015 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 12, 2017 02:56PM ChiSandy wrote:

Writing this from the hospital, where Bob was admitted this morning for a small intestine obstruction. He kept the pain to himself from its onset yesterday midday to when he got home from work after midnight—and when I asked him if I needed to take him to the ER, said no, he was feeling better. I slept like a rock, through my alarm, until I realized I'd be late for rehearsal. So I ran downstairs for breakfast & coffee; only when I went back up to get showered & dressed did I find the bed empty. Called his cell—he had gotten up at 6am and driven himself to the ER, where he was awaiting CT scan results. They’re keeping him in overnight, on nasogastric suction & IV fluids, to see if his small intestine will unkink. If not, they’ll have to operate

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Nov 12, 2017 03:08PM Molly50 wrote:

Oh my goodness, Sandy!! My prayers are with you both.

54 years old. Chek2 mutation. Family history of BC. Oncotype Dx 13 Extensive LVI Dx 6/8/2015, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 7/29/2015, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 7/29/2015 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Surgery 9/4/2015 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 10/13/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 10/20/2015 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 4/22/2016 Aromasin (exemestane) Surgery 7/22/2016 Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 3/21/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Nov 12, 2017 03:23PM ChiSandy wrote:

Thanks, Molly

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Nov 12, 2017 04:15PM queenmomcat wrote:

Oh, no, Sandy! My prayers are also with you both.

(Drove himself to the hospital? Ah well, i expect hospitals take doctors more seriously in instances like that.)

Nov 12, 2017 06:21PM octogirl wrote:

Also sending prayers Sandy!! and tell DH to wake you up if that ever happens again (hoping it won't and that all is good!)

Dx 6/18/2015, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/16/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 9/9/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/15/2015 Hormonal Therapy 1/15/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 4/8/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Nov 12, 2017 10:49PM ChiSandy wrote:

Bob is notoriously stoic. If he says "ouch" he's in agony. Even after the pain started, he worked all the way through the afternoon & evening. I asked why he didn't just check himself into his own hospital...and he reminded me that the GI group there contains the doc who perfed his colon during a colonoscopy 2 yrs. ago. He likes the group at St Francis, which is 10-15 min. from us.

Nov 13, 2017 05:47AM proudtospin wrote:

oh sandy, your husband is more than stoic! Do hope he is ok, he needs to,tell you he is in pain, but then again, doubt he will change at this point in his life!

Nov 13, 2017 05:57AM rainnyc wrote:

Oh Sandy--hope Bob's okay!

Random observation about men: stoic through the big things, when they should complain, and fall apart when they have a cold.

Octo, hope your recovery is going well!

Lucy, your DGS's recovery just warmed my heart. I hope he continues to do well.

Iris, I've had a few root canals. They're unpleasant and expensive, but they're manageable. Hope you don't need one.

I'm personally thrilled that the temperature has turned cold. Made a new gingerbread recipe yesterday that used a half pound of butter; fortunately was able to offload most of it at a brunch. Also used three kinds of ginger: crystalized, fresh, and ground. So good!

Starting to think Thanksgiving: turkey is ordered, sisters and I are fighting over who brings dessert, and best of all DS is coming home for the long weekend!

Hugs to all crazies.

Dx 4/2015, IDC, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Chemotherapy 5/11/2015 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 5/11/2015 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 9/21/2015 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 10/31/2015 Lymph nodes, Chest wall Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab)

Nov 13, 2017 09:13AM proudtospin wrote:

rainny, now that gingerbread sounds amazing, got myself set for ride chemo on friday, i get nervous that no one will help but it seems in reaility that it is pretty amazing that folks help

Nov 13, 2017 09:40AM Molly50 wrote:

rainny, can you share the gingerbread recipe? It sounds divine!

54 years old. Chek2 mutation. Family history of BC. Oncotype Dx 13 Extensive LVI Dx 6/8/2015, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 7/29/2015, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 7/29/2015 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Surgery 9/4/2015 Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 10/13/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 10/20/2015 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 4/22/2016 Aromasin (exemestane) Surgery 7/22/2016 Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 3/21/2017 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Nov 13, 2017 10:08AM Lucy55 wrote:

Sandy ..hope everything is O.K with Bob !

Rainy ..thank you .DGS recovery warms my heart too ..so glad you will have your son home for Thanksgiving !!!

Iris ..so glad you have a friend taking you on Friday ..

Hugs to all

Dx 8/27/2014, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 9/15/2014

Nov 13, 2017 11:02AM ChiSandy wrote:

Bob is much better this morning--might even be discharged today!

Nov 13, 2017 11:35AM rainnyc wrote:

So glad Bob is feeling better!

The recipe is from the new Ottolenghi cookbook, Sweet. I found a copy of it on a UK website here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-488469...

I have the American edition, which is slightly different because we're not metric here:

* Oven is 400 F

* 1/2 lb butter

* scant cup blackstrap molasses

* 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp of both kinds of sugar, light brown and granulated sugar

* 3 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

* 1/2 cup finely chopped crystalized ginger if you can't find stem ginger, but also add 1 tsp freshly grated ginger

I used a buttered, floured bundt pan and did not make the brandy apple sauce (this time!). In spite of the differences, it was a fairly easy recipe to put together. Enjoy!

Dx 4/2015, IDC, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Chemotherapy 5/11/2015 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 5/11/2015 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 9/21/2015 Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy 10/31/2015 Lymph nodes, Chest wall Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab)

Nov 13, 2017 12:32PM queenmomcat wrote:

Definitely making that gingerbread when I get home.

Now cooling my heels in the Detroit airport. Not crazy, just annoyed at flight delays and people who can't chew gum with their mouths closed.

Nov 13, 2017 12:39PM rainnyc wrote:

QMC, regarding chewing gum, I feel your pain! Safe travels...

Nov 13, 2017 12:47PM Lucy55 wrote:

Rainny ..oh how yummy ..and interesting ...in Australia we think of gingerbread as a biscuit ...or gingerbread house ...but your recipe looks delicious !!!! Must get hubby to make it for me 😃

Sandy ..great news about Bob !

QMC ..ugh ..people chewing gum with their mouth open is a pet hate of mine too !!! If people realised how bad it looked I'm sure they wouldn't do it !! HaHa ..maybe you could video them , and take your phone over and show them ???!!!! 😵

Nov 13, 2017 01:50PM ChiSandy wrote:

If there's one thing worse than open-mouthed gum chewers, it's gum-snappers. Nothing says "disgusting vulgarian" more clearly than that (except perhaps the T-shirt I once saw on a traffic court defendant: "Nice Girls Swallow").

Nov 13, 2017 04:52PM queenmomcat wrote:

Gah, glad to know I'm not alone in despising gum-smacking. In fairness, I can understand chewing gum--this was on the descent into Detroit on my flight from Burlington (VT). However, doing so loudly enough to be heard over airplane engines from across the aisle and intervening seat is a bit much. (Her seatmate gave me a long-suffering exasperated look as we circled in to land.) Then this person had the gall to shove out past her much put-upon seatmate once we'd landed, claiming to have a bad leg. (OK, so why didn't you get up and walk the aisle during the flight?) I'd already stood up and collected my belongings, as I (thought I) had a tight connection. Totally gave her the evil side eye, and scooched, apologetically to the people in the row in front of us, forward.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has far less patience for irritating people since having been treated for cancer?

And yes: definitely good news about Bob! Be sure to tell him the ladies on the CrazyTown board told him not to "man" it out so much.

Nov 13, 2017 06:27PM - edited Nov 15, 2017 12:00AM by ChiSandy

Unfortunately, I spoke too soon. Just talked to him during my rehearsal break. The tube's staying in for another night; even though he's feeling better the surgical team thinks that imaging shows his colon is too distended. So he still may need surgery to remove that part; hope they can do it without an ostomy. Will know more in the morning.

The cause is probably adhesions from the hemicolectomy he had two years ago after his colon was perforated during a colonoscopy. So that original GI doc is definitely never going back on our Christmas card list (he is definitely permanently on another kind of list, aka our “fecal scroll"j.

Nov 13, 2017 06:51PM queenmomcat wrote:

Oh, poor Sandy! Poor Bob. Please do keep us posted? And "not on our Christmas card list" is about the kindest [bleep] off I've ever heard.

Nov 13, 2017 09:44PM Molly50 wrote:

continued prayers are going up for Bob!!

Nov 13, 2017 10:12PM Molly50 wrote:

Tomorrowis my appointment with my BS. I am going to discuss my wanting to change MO`s with her. I find myself a bit grumpy even though I love her. I guess it's just one of those brief CT visits. I had to postpone my dexascan for work. I am now scheduled for the end of December.

Nov 14, 2017 06:47AM proudtospin wrote:

molly, sorry you are not happy with your current mo, but surely change if you are uncomfortable, guess i missed the reason

Well bathroom reno proceeding, looking good but dang eager for it to be done

Nov 14, 2017 10:09AM Lucy55 wrote:

Sandy ..how's Bob ?

Molly .hope your BS can help you find a new MO that you're happy with .My BS is a very kind , and I feel extremely thorough doctor , who takes time with all his patients...only thing is somehow I feel we never click personality wise ..it's impossible to have any light hearted interaction with him , because he's so serious ..Serious makes me worry !

Iris ..what are you changing in your bathroom reno ...it'll be lovely when it's all done .

Page 438 of 439 (13,166 results)