Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

how about drinking?

Comments

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited May 2017

Genny - LIved mostly on the west side - Edgewater Dr in Lakewood just before moved away. Also spent a year in Shaker Heights. Yes - will try to sort out meeting up next time in the area. Missing Lake Erie and my sailing days. Granddaughter is a cutie. Junior looks like a great addition to your pets. Kelley's Island - fun times!

Happy Sunday to all. More Chambord laced Cafe Mocha for me this AM.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,971
    edited May 2017

Jazzy legs ....

• dara_diverse
    dara_diverse Member Posts: 5,004
    edited May 2017

Hi girls!

Jest woke up from a hibernation to prepare for the long drive to Cleveland then Chicago, so furcited

Sandy, it is the mortgage laws in Cook county that make me bonkers. There are all kinds of requirements for first time buyers and also for renovation loans.

Mary, love the pics of Anorable and the puppies and kitty too. So happy they are getting along so well. Can't wait to see you (and Camille too).

Illimae, great dinner you made, wish you could cook for me. Love your plans for retirement, envious I am!

NM, good Lord girl, love how your life has changed. You are so relaxed and now in charge of your entire life. Good for you lady, love seeing you so laid back AND getting so much done AND enjoying more time with Sadie!!

Lori, yes, Wacko and her cousin will be pulling out around 3am. I can't believe it, pinch me. Sorry you are outta the good medicine aka willie. Will you renew your MM card? Hope this week heals all that bothers you with the se's of those FU pills. Love your new avitar pic, love you though, always.

Sue, hope you are feeling better dahling. Hate when you don't feel well.

Jazzy, you sure know how to relax, great photo. My interview went well, fingers crossed that I hear sumting soon. Don't wanna go for broke hehe!

Heidi, so sorry you are depressed but with all due respect, it is expected after such a huge loss. Good for you in getting away and celebrating your marriage, have a wonderful time, you so deserve it. And happy Anniversary to u and your hubs. Hugs to ya hon.

Celia, thanks so much on your aka, very helpful. I hope you get to meet Genny (Mary).

Well time to get cracking and finish packing. Will post pics along the way.

Hello to anyone I missed, love you gals.

chEErS!

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,705
    edited May 2017

Oh dear, I didn't intend to mislead you all. I did not cook the shrimp meal, a chef friend did. My DH does most of the cooking in our house, I do make apretty tasty salad though, lol

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited May 2017

Dara, I still don’t understand—what do Cook County mortgage laws have to do with where you will be staying as a Chicagoland tourist? Not that parts of St. Charles and the Fox River Valley aren’t lovely, but the rush hour commute between St. Charles & the city (the Loop, River North, Streeterville, Restaurant Row, Wrigleyville) was named by TIME magazine a couple of years ago as the worst in the nation, worse than L.A., Atlanta, Miami to S. Palm Beach County (or even just to Ft. Lauderdale), Boston, NYC or Seattle. Been stuck in all of those (lived in NYC and Seattle), and Kane County to the n. side of Chicago was the absolute worst I’ve ever encountered. (In Europe, Heathrow to Mayfair and the cruise pier in Naples to the outskirts of town were pretty bad but nowhere near U.S.A. urban/suburban proportions). When are you planning to visit? There will be a BCO IL meetup June 17 in Lombard, near the Cook/DuPage county line (DuPage is the county to the east of Kane).

Last night was the pHinale, the last night of shows at the pH Comedy Theater in Andersonville (one neighborhood to the south of us), where my son Gordy worked (and still works as a member & cast rep of pH Productions). I got to perform there twice, and was greeted like family, not just as Gordy’s mom. It was hilarious (and mostly amazingly raunchy) but at the end none of us could keep from crying. Much BYO alcohol was consumed—and shared. I had about an ounce of (ugh) Andre Brut—hey, it was cold and they were out of Prosecco. And I had a half-glass of Meiomi OR Pinot Noir (someone had very good and generous taste). And during the cast-only after-midnight final set, the Board members tossed PBRs to anyone in the audience who wanted one. About 1 am I went home (someone had to feed the cats and I knew Bob would forget), and Gordy and the cast went out for more drinks. He got home about 4am and woke this morning without a hangover—he had stuck to bourbon.

About to pan-sear the first wild sockeye of the season (no grilling—it’s raining)—will have some Maryhill Grenache with it. Pinot Noir is a better match, but the Grenache is already Coravin-ed (and still yummy). Waste not, want not.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,903
    edited May 2017

Good Morning, Loungettes!

A big Thank You to all who have served in any of the Armed Forces, and to those who made the ultimate sacrifice and to their families.

I cannot believe that it's only 48 degrees outside again this ayem. Cloudy, only going to get to mid 50s today. Got the heat turned on again this ayem. I mean, REALLY, what is up with this???It's supposed to be an especially hot summer! This is making it really hard to put away the winter clothes.

Illi--when you get to Maine don't just get a lobstah, go on a real Clambake. Open fire, big kettles, half filled with seawater, put the lobstahs and corn on the cob in, cover with a layer of seaweed, throw on a bunch of clams, another layer of seaweed, boil like heck for about 20 minutes, melting butter in empty soup cans on top, serve up with big bowls for the shells, smaller bowls of the hot seawater for dunking the clams to clean out the grit, finish with blueberry pie or whoopie pies.Do this at the shore where you can wear a bathing suit and then go swimming after to clean off the juice, butter, and general messiness.You will get messy and smelly! Take a couple of gallon size re-sealable bags to transport the wet (and smelly) bathing suits home in. TIP:put the bathing suits directly into the washing machine and wash, or leave them outside the house. DO NOT HANG THEM ON THE LINE if you stay where you see seagulls flying, they will smell the goodness and come try to take the suits right off the line.They will carry suits away if they are just lying over a railing or branch. Another tip--get lobstahs in the 2# range, that's when they are the best.Smaller than 1 1/2 # and there isn't much meat, bigger than 2 1/2# and they get tough and less flavorful. Definitely a case of bigger is not better!Get soft shell if you have a choice, more meat per pound, easier to crack the shells and get the meat out.

Celia--did I mention that I love Chambord?Never tried it coffee, but sounds like fun!

Jazzy--Nice legs!

Dara--I am loving the way my life has changed! Why didn't I do this months ago??

Chi--The Comedy Theater sounds wonderful fun!BYOB and tossing out BPJs, what a combo! Ah, to be able to party all night, with or without a hangover!

Princess Leia of Maine's DOTD:

SLUSHY MARGARITA SHOTS

Squad goals. Get the recipe from Delish.

Ingredients

• 6 oz. tequila
    • 2 Limes, juiced
    • 2 tbsp. agave nectar
    • 1 c. ice, chopped in the blender
    • 1 lime wedge
    • Salt, for rimming glasses
    • Chopped strawberries, pineapple, blackberries, and raspberries , for shots

Directions

1. In a blender, blend tequila, lime juice, honey, and ice.
    2. Run a lime wedge along the tip of the shot glasses and dip in salt to rim glasses.
    3. Fill shot glasses with chopped fruit and pour over tequila mixture.
  • goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited May 2017

Mary (Genny), thanks for the swim yesterday morning. Nora looks too cute in the tub with all those bubbles on her head.

NM,you don't like shrimp but will eat crab or lobstah? They all taste similar to me. Now I can't do scallops. Our nights and mornings are pretty cool, but warms up during the day. Sounds like you know your lobstah and the clam bake! Funny about the bathing suits.

Illona, my husband is a White Castle Junkie. Of course we don't have them out here in AZ, but his mom lives in TN and that is our first stop when we land. One year he scarfed down 25 of them! Who cares who cooked the shrimp, it sounded yummy!

Love the Jazzy legs! Hope you are having a fabulously relaxed weekend girl.

Oh Dorothy, I'm so excited for your travels. I think more so cuz we knew nothing of it. Like you just decided a day ago, I'm going! Leaving at 3 am, hell you aren't even in bed at that time, LOL! My week off the FU pills really isn't a vacation, as I have 2 weeks worth of the poison to get rid of. So really, my best time is the first week on. I did renew my MMJ card, just have to wait for it to come in the mail, about 10 days.

Sandy, sounds like you had a very enjoyable evening at the PHinale! Sorry Gordy came home with a H/O, but he'll get over it. Are you planning to attend the BCO get together?

Hoping everyone is having a great holiday weekend. Thank you to all of our Military for what they do, and their families as well.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338
    edited May 2017

NM, that's the funniest cartoon I've seen in quite awhile. I'm posting it on my Facebook page. I'm with you on statins. I also had leg muscle pain. Not debilitating but very annoying. My DH had debilitating pain and was hospitalized. No one could figure it out until one exceptionally bright doctor landed on the diagnosis.

All this discussion of metaforim has really started me thinking. I'll ask my MO Wednesday if it is something I should consider. I'm not diabetic.

Sandy, hope you're healing well.

Everyone has been so busy here doing interesting things. I'm an old stick-in-the-mud. Sailboat guy hasn't called or emailed since he went sailing a week ago. That's fine. I guess I really don't care.

I'm in the process of putting down mulch in one flower bed (that has no flowers just shrubs and trees). I still have 10 bags left to go. Yesterday I made a HUGE batch of potato salad to take to #2DS' birthday cookout today. Even kept a bit for me and shared some with my good friends across the street. When I took it over, she asked if I would like some wine. Definitely. She'd gotten a bottle of Costco's Kirkland Sangria. That was great. Probably not for someone who is wine-savvy but I'm not so perfect. We're going to open her WINE Margherita bottle next time. She says it is excellent. Also from Costco. I may have to join Costco!

Summer is here and I'm loving the hot weather. It won't last but it is so nice to be wearing shorts and tank tops and not freezing!

Oh, a funny. The previous owner of my home had put a really fancy storm door on the front of the house. I thought it should have a screen but I couldn't find it. So I sent her a text asking where it was or if I could buy one. Well, the door is so fancy that the screen stores in the top of the door. Just move the top glass down and voila! the screen appears. Thank heavens I'm in contact with her.

Remembering our deceased veterans and their service.

HUGS!

• illimae
    edited May 2017

Last day of chemo today, (the poison kind, I'll still be on herceptin for maintenance through the end of the year) and I'm celebrating with juice because I like to be kind to my liver immediately following chemo.

NM-thanks for the clam bake tip, sounds like a great plan.

Hope this evening finds you all well.

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2017

LLL- congrats on finishing chemo. You are taking good care of yourself!

• maryland
    maryland Member Posts: 1,047
    edited May 2017

got a quick get together with Dara, she should be getting to Chi-town about now. imageimage

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2017

Good evening ladies- back from the hot springs and will make this short, and write more tomorrow. I had two beautiful days of weather up there for soaking, sunning, reading, jazz on sat night, treatment yesterday. I have not been to this spot on Memorial Day in a number of years and it was BUSY, but was also staying off site at a quiet hotel and that was better too. I got a wee bit sunburned on sat, kept myself more covered with a long sleeve swim shirt yesterday. I opted not to stay today but rather wander home and hit a few spots I have been wanting to get to for awhile on the way between here and home.

One such a stop was at a liqour store that has some of the best wine selection in the state. They have an especially good selection of french wines, and came away with six bottles of mixed white and rose (one sparkling rose from Napa), plus two kinds of flavored vodka. Ready for summer entertaining!

Will be back tomorrow and hope everyone had a relaxing weekend!

P.S. Love that Genny and Dara got to see one another! Great pics ladies!

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2017

A fellow BCO sister shared this on FB today and thought I would share it here as we have some women in active treatment. Great article about dealing with people, which we know is a very hard part of being a cancer patient or survivor.

http://cancer.baydakh.com/2016/02/12/what-your-fri...

I saw a great segment on Ellen today with Sheryl Sandberg who is the FB exec who lost her husband suddenly, and has been public about dealing with grief/work etc. She made a comment today it is not just a death, but that many people are going through life struggling with really hard things no one has any idea about or if they do share, people scatter. She mentioned how nothing clears a room like hearing someone got a cancer diagnosis.

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited May 2017

I'm so, mia,ugh.

Good morning ladies,

Wow lots of stuff going on and here too. I just talked to Dara--they're here 4AM hahaha-She said her room is great and now they have to rest, so I'll see them later--so exciting around here.

Mary lubs u'r pics. And Anorable is even getting more anorable if that's possible and now it's really fun time for you. Dara loved seeing you too.

Lori u new pic. is beautiful, well of course--but so so sorry how u feel, damn ths is horrible chit and I hate that u have to have this.

Remember everyone I don't double screen, so I go by memory. F*ck

Peg don't even think about this guy of course that's when he'll call. U need to take pics. of u'r yard.

Llona I was relieved to hear u just make salad, and as long as there is food who cares where it's from. That's was always my speciality bringing salads.

Jazzy nice legs!!! Hope u'r showing them off this summer. Sounds like u had fun. BTW I could enter a leg contest myself, well if the other contestants were all elephants--I might just win.

Sandy u'r nite sounded fabulous, plus u got to sing, haven't heard that in a while. And Gordy sounds like fun too.

Oops I was planning a Chicago style pizza thing for Dara, but I forgot to ask if she even likes it--gottsa find out. BTW I did ask Dora to show pics., cuz I was thinking if anyone is on the fence about after deboobing consider everything--some people breeze thru it but some don't and altho it's over for Dara--I just feel like everyone should be informed.

NM everytime I read u'r posts, it's like nite and day--wow I'm so happy for u and Sadie.

Celia so glad u'r here.

I think I should start writing down what I want to say to everyone, cuz I'm bad.

I've been bitchy, well more than usual, since this shot didn't work as well as the first one. And I don't understand why I've had my D acouple of times either--making it to the bathroom is even harder now. So when Joey's home he follows me, poor kid, he's never really seen the fun side of me that he can really remember, Oh well.

Oh I'm LOL how everyone knows where Dara and Cheryl can go for some fun stuff, and I don't have a clue and lived in this area most of my life. I'm finding out more then I ever knew. And even Dara knows more about this area than I do. All I really know is that I live less than a mile from the hospital. Jeez I'm fun.

I honestly had more to say, but can't member

LUBS U ALL

• nativemainer
    edited May 2017

Good Morning, Loungettes!Got an interview at one of the local Schools of Nursing this ayem. A full day tomorrow at the Immunization Clinic.Then a day for Hospice. Then back to lounging around the house. Mom's partner Dick is still in the hospital, getting echocardiograms and ultrasounds and all sorts of things that don't line up with an infection and dehydration. Going to stop in and see them after the interview and see if I can figure out what is really going on. Mom has a tendency to hear just what she wants to hear, or just one thing out of a list, so I'm sure I'm not getting the full picture. And I found out that Auntie with ALS is in the hospital, not sure exactly what is going on there, but do know she is refusing a feeding tube and has lost a lot of weight. Supposedly she is staying in the hospital for physical therapy. Different hospital from Dick, of course. But the sun is out, finally, and hopefully it will be warmer today.

Goldie--nope, do not like the texture or taste of shrimp, love lobstah, scallops, clams as long as they are steamers, crabmeat is wonderful, too. Made fish chowdah yesterday. Grew up with big family clam bakes, learned how by helping.I can still remember running to the shore to gather seaweed, and then when I was bigger lugging pails of seawater to the kettle. We kids would sit on the beach, only the adults sat at the picnic table. I'm not sure why we kids were given "juice" to dunk the clams in, everything was covered with sand anyway!But fun. If you crack lobstah legs just right you can spray lobstah juice all over your sibs and cousins!

Peggy--glad you are in touch with the previous owners, imagine not finding the screen for the storm door all summer!Or finding it right after you spent a lot of money on one. Sounds like a very fancy storm door!

Illi--HOORAY!!!!! Partay time!

Genny--great pics of you and Dara!!!

Jazzy--Ah, joys of a leisurely drive home. That was quite a haul you got from that one liquor store! Good for you! Great article. Thanks for sharing.

Image result for celebration drink recipe

Butterscotch Martini Recipe

In a cocktail shaker full of ice cubes add…

• 1-1/2 ounces vanilla vodka (regular vodka will work if that's all you have)
    • 1-1/2 ounces butterscotch schnapps
    • 4 oz Cream Soda (Add more Cream Soda if you like your drinks sweet.)
    • 2 oz Sprite

Gently shake and pour into a glass. Drink up!

• camillegal
    edited May 2017

Image result for happy dance animated gifHAPPY DANCING FOR ILLIMAE--CONGRATULATIONS YAHOO--have a drink , or more, tonite. Woot Woot

• camillegal
    edited May 2017

Image result for drinks partyOnly the best---I don't have a clue why there is junk with this pic.

• maryland
    maryland Member Posts: 1,047
    edited May 2017

Good morning girls, hope you all had a nice long weekend. I went golfing and putzed around the house and hate to see it end.. Our yard is looking so pretty right now albeit really, really wet, we need a week or 2 w/o rain. Dorothy and Cheryl got here about 4 or so, had a visit here and then took them down to see Lake Erie. Poor Cheryl is having some serious disc, sciatica issues and is walking completely bent over, hope she finds some relief soon.

NM, oh I'm so happy to hear about your new job/jobs. No point in working yourself into an early grave. How did hospice take the news when you told them, do you think it opened anyone's eyes? No doubt they'll end up hiring 3 people to do the job you did which is what you wanted all along. Would the teaching be just prn or full time? Can you still get your health ins thru hospice? Hope you get the situation with Dick figured out and hope auntie is ok.

Cami, hope you and Dara and Cheryl have a nice visit, make sure you get some pics! Who doesn't like Chicago Pizza? My moth is watering just thinking about it and it's only 7 ayem. Course I'd have to pic off the top and throw away the crust because I'm so bizzy NOT loosing weight on my M-f-ing low carb diet... Oh, I'm sorry, where was I ....oh yea visit with Dara, I can't remember have you met in person before this? Don't worry too much about entertaining them, poor Cheryl is in pretty bad shape so anything that involves a lot of waking would be out. School just about over for Joey, high school next year?

Jazzy, so glad you got to get away to the hot springs again, sounds and looks divine!

Peggy, sounds like you had a nice weekend, don't know about sailboat guy since I'm just getting caught up, maybe you'll hear from him after the weekend. I kinda like being a stick in the mud, I'm getting pretty good at it, I just like being home.

lll, woohoo on finishing chemo!!!! YAY!!! Hope your next treatment is not too hard on you and keeps the rat bastard at bay for a long, long time. The food tour sounds great!

Lori, hope you get your MJ card soonliest, how often do you have to renew? So sorry to hear you were so sick w/o it, just sucks. How are your TM's? Are you still on the same FU dose? Any 4 wheeling vacays planned? I got my garden planted, 4 tomato plants and 2 cukes, plus lettuce and herbs. I was thinking of you and all your planting and harvesting and canning, don't think I could keep up with it. Anyway, missed you friend, love the new pic!

Sandy, hope the salmon was wonderful. I love going to comedy show, esp when they make me laugh to I cry, sounds like a good time.

SuzieQ, hope all is well.

Heidi, thinking of you, hope you and hubs are reconnecting and having a wonderful time.

Everyone else, have a great day!

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2017

Good morning ladies- just reading through the last few pages to get caught up on everything before I posted to everyone here. Good to see a few folks back, see a few other new names and welcome to you! I hope everyone had a relaxing weekend with whatever you needed to do.

Hsant- I am sure you are both exhausted and sad because of all you have just come through. Vegging on the couch is probably what you need right now, but remember what we talked about with grief counseling when you feel you are ready. I am so glad that you are going to the resort to celebrate your anniversary. Maybe some good self care with food and spa time will help too. It is a long road back from all this so be patient with yourself. I am wishing you better days sister.

NM- sounds like you are so happy with the changes in your work! I love that you will be working with the immunization clinic. I think working with terminally ill people is such a good thing, but also hard on a person. I saw that with my sister when she worked with AIDs in the early 1980s back when so many were dying from the disease. You sound like a new woman and don't beat yourself up for not making the change earlier friend, you were not ready.

And to answer your question about photography, I did submit once to a nature photography contest here, and won third prize. I have too many hobbies to keep up with and work too, so I just enjoy snapping pics on my trips and sharing them with others. Serious photography requires time and money, just like everything else!

And I wanted to also say I am sorry to hear about Dick and also your auntie. I hope things improve there soon.

Pontiac- I assume your friend must be away on a trip and think you will hear from him again. I think the nice thing about dating when you are older is knowing whatever happens, you are fine either way. I know you enjoy his company. In the meantime, life is good and you know how to enjoy yourself just the same!

Dara- good to hear things are coming along on the work front, and so glad you are getting to see some of the goils here. Genny, next up is Cami (sounds like you are getting pizza too, yum!) Hope your trip is going well!

Another BCO sister has shared what a bad time she has had with the DIEP flap surgery. So many challenges post surgery and she is doing better now but a long road out. You went through a lot sister. Hugs.

Genny- so nice to hear from you friend and love those photos of Anorable. The one in the tub with bubbles on top is just so precious. She is growing up so fast, and can tell she is the light of your life.

Chi- how is that wound you were dealing with last week? Are you healing?

Cami- did you get to the party for your oldest DD this weekend?

Goldie- thanks for sharing that eye candy. I hope you will feel better as you detox from the FU pills. I like your new photo too!

Got some business things, laundry, errands, food shopping, etc. to do today and need to get busy with that. My sister was due back from the Gallapagos yesterday and waiting to hear she is home and how it was, but won't bug her.

Wishing everyone a good (and for some working), short week!

• illimae
    edited May 2017

Thanks all! I've got CT's and MRI's today with the last appt. ending at 9:15 pm. Then I'm supposed to drink 6-8 glasses of water, gonna be a long day and night.

You all have some fun for me :)

• goldie0827
    edited May 2017

Peggy, I too made some tater salad. Maybe sailboat guy was just busy for the holidays?

I guess since Illona is drinking juice for her celebration, we will have to drink for her.Congrats on your last chemo! Now it's time for a little break. Wow, what a long day for you today. Praying for good scans for you. How long do you have to wait for results?

Mary/Dorothy (Genny/Dara) Love love love that you guys got together. I still can't believe it! MMJ card has to be renewed annually, cost was $275.00! My TM's went up about 40%. No camping trips planned, not this time of year, too busy with the business, but we are going to Laughlin (maybe) this Thursday. We have a truck coming, and not sure what day it will be here, should know today. Good for you getting your garden in, and yes, canning is quite the chore!

Jazzy, quite the wine score! Glad you had a wonderfully relaxed weekend. I gotta say, you know how to pamper yourself! My step DD loves photography and does some free lance work with it. She takes pictures of EVERYTHING!

Cami, hoping you have a wonderful time with Dara. Do you know how long she is staying?

Wacko, I guess I could just ask you myself! How long are you staying in Ill? And where are you staying? And you arrived at 4 am? You and Cheryl are nuts or vampires! Wow, what a trooper Cheryl is, traveling with you when she feels so horrible.

NM, good luck on your interview today. What a shame that it's gonna take YOU to see if you can figure out what's wrong with Dick, smh! Hopefully nothing too serious. LOL at your clam bakes on the beach, ahhhh the memories, eh?

Thank you everyone for the compliments on my new avatar, just figured it was time. Back to the grind stone!

• illimae
    edited May 2017

I'm hoping to have the results online by late Friday which I expect to be stable or better as far as my bond met is concerned, breast tumor have shrunk, some node tumor disappeared. It would be nice to celebrate with DH since he'll be in town sunday

• camillegal
    edited May 2017

Illimae we all want u to celebrate with u'r DH when he is home. It's celebration time, COME ON!!!

I have no idea how Cheryl did this road trip, I can barely walk out of my room, she's unbelievable. The went to sleep early this morning and haven't called yet. This is Wacko 1 and 2, I think. I know she told me how beautiful Mary's home and garden are, she was so happy to see u. I really have to find out if they like pizza, I just assume. And all that does is make an ass of me. Oh I didn't make my DD's party at all. They'll be more.

Well I do know how to talk to my boss, I just text him and say someone has a complaint--Then when he calls imm. he wants to know word for word <where have I heard that before> but then that's it. LOL He's so busy. Everyone went to his house yesterday, I didn't. Damn. So basically I haven't seen or talked to him in weeks, just on email. Another brat.

U know how I hate Joey growing so fast, but now I wish he could drive. 3 more yrs. I've counted.

Oh Mary I haven't met Dara, I've talked to her on the phone over the years--so this should be interesting for me, not her.

• goldie0827
    edited May 2017

Cami, I hope Wacko and her cousin don't plan on coming to visit at 4 am!

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited May 2017

Welcome to my city (well, the outskirts), Dara. Wish we could get together, but we're leaving for NY on Thurs. a.m. and w/o a housekeeper, am trying to stay ahead of bedmaking, laundry, dry cleaning, cat care, grocery shopping, arranging to repair malfunctioning things, informing Gordy about what to tell exterminator (monthly visit) Friday (mosquitoes & moths indoors), making packing lists and making sure I have enough clean and appropriate stuff that fits me, refilling Rxs, paying bills, mapquesting drives between airport/hotel/restaurants/cemeteries—not to mention personal care, cooking & exercise. (Thank God Carrie packed Bob's stuff before she left for her foot surgery). No time to get roots done either—at least root regrowth is fashionable now. The wound is healing—will drop in at Urgent Care tomorrow (as if there's time) to verify I can stop wearing band-aids and maybe use the hotel pool. (Hotel gym is rudimentary: no weight machines, bikes, rowers or ellipticals—besides the pool, just four treadmills, yoga mats & balls, and free weights, so I have to ask my trainer tomorrow what to do for strength training and whether I need to pack fitness bands).

Peapod coming early in the morning, so I will be up in time to feed the cats and go to my training session—and check in online for our flights from the locker room from my phone, so we can get decent A group boarding positions on SW. Also need to find out if Bob wants us to stay overnight tomorrow at MDW's hotel center—the parking would be cheaper than Uber or cab fares, there would be a 10-min. ride on a free shuttle, and no nail-biting traffic drive on I-55 (which would necessitate leaving farmer-early Thurs. morning to get through TSA and make our noon flight in time).

Remember when “getting there (was) half the fun,” acc. to those old airline commercials? When you were met at your gate, or at least the bag carousel, by skycaps? When all passengers—including in coach—were treated like people and not cattle or prisoners being marched to their cells? Geez, I remember on Eastern Airlines that we used to get steak in coach; United, on the red-eye between Sea-Tac & ORD or JFK, had deli buffets and upstairs coach lounges (some with pianos) on 747s. And the flight (including waiter-service “Seven Continents” restaurant at ORD) was actually part of your vacation.

DOTD? Last night, some Chilean Carmenere/Syrah/Malbec blend at friends’ impromptu BBQ. Tonight, with pan-seared, Atlantic salmon, popping the bottle of just-outside-Champagne bubbly chilling in the fridge. Tomorrow? Either whatever’s leftover from that, or whatever the hotel bar is pouring. Right now, just made a cappuccino.

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2017

Chi- safe travels friend. Glad you are healing. And yes, plane travel used to be SO FUN, but no more. Especially international flights.....

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338
    edited May 2017

NM, felt rather stupid not remembering the screen was stored inside the top of the door. Oh well. The former owner stopped by last summer after I had gotten all settled and told me how to decorate my home. I just listened and ignored everything she said. She was horrified that I didn't have curtains on the narrow window that is beside front door. Don't have blinds there either. Well, it IS my house now.

Jazzy, Jenny, I find that i really don't care enough if sailboat guy shows up or not. Thank heavens for not having teenage angst! I'm fine by myself. I have great friends (quite a few from BCO). And I have FAMILY - the reason I moved here.

Celebrated #2 DS' 45th birthday yesterday. First time celebrating with him on his home turf. Nice.

Got my new glasses - first since my cataract surgery. I've discovered I'm happier switching out drugstore readers and sunglasses. It is convenient having my trifocals at home. But no reason to wear them out. Sandy, I could not handle progressives - I went back to my trifocal executives.

92 here today. 72 tomorrow :) I like it hot better. See my MO in the morning - regular checkup and I adore him.

My ordinary Riunite Lambrusco with my frozen Bertolli's dinner :)

HUGS!

• dara_diverse
    dara_diverse Member Posts: 5,004
    edited May 2017

quickie posty:

met with Cam tonight and met her wonderful family, gonna do it again tomorrow. pics to follow. I left my iPhone at Cam's house, oopsies. I blame de likker. so had delish chicago pizza, great stuff, so different from Brooklyn style which I am used to. And I had the pure priveledge of dueting with Joey; me on the flute and Joey on clarinet. We will perform tomorrow if all goes as planned.

Can't wait, lubs lubs lubs mese Camillegal!

more latah today or tonight!

cheReS!

• nativemainer
    edited May 2017

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy Hump Day! The interview at the local school of nursing went well, but I declined the position. They are looking for someone to supervise students in the hospital, and I'm not interesting in working in the hospital. Too fast paced, too policy and insurance driven, too much politics, not enough patient focus for my liking. They are keeping my application and info, there may be other situations opening up. Life's too short to do work I don't like, and it wouldn't be fair to the students. Other teaching opportunities will come up. Today I have a full day at the Immunization Clinic, going to get the inevitable paperwork done, observe a walk in clinic, learn about yellow fever and then there is another education session, forgot what that is about. Totally new stuff, get to wear real clothes (I wear scrubs working for Hospice), got an outfit all picked out and ready to go. Never thought I'd enjoy picking out outfits this much!

Genny--I'm so glad you and Dara had a chance to get together. I wish Cheryl was feeling better. I keep praying for her. Hospice was not surprised when I told them I was going per diem and not case managing anymore, considering that I had been out sick for a month right before that.They are advertising 2 full time positions now. I think some eyes are being opened a bit, but more by the fact that I am one of 3 nurses who have dropped out of full time and gone to per diem status this spring, all for pretty much the same reason. One nurse is working 4 days a week and still case managing, another is working 3 days a week and case managing, both are working prettymuch 40 hours per week.I arranged my days off this week and last week so that I couldn't be given any case management work (they are still listing me as the case manager for the group of patients). I think they are figuring things out now that the Clinical Managers are having to do a lot of the case management work for the huge area they gave me. The teaching would have been part time through the school year, a couple of days a week. Notoriously low pay.I got health insurance through the marketplace, will have better coverage for my prescriptions than with the insurance I got through Hospice. Dick is still in the hospital, having more problems with diarrhea and loss of bowel control, he has a history of prostate cancer and I wonder if they are looking for a recurrence or spread of that. I expect I'll find out soon enough. Not so sure about Auntie, not like her to agree to staying in the hospital, hard to find out exactly what is going on there as I am not on the list of people the advocate can talk to (Auntie can't speak anymore, so all phone info from the hospital has to come from the advocate).It's ok that my name isn't on the list, the list is long enough and I can reach everyone on the list easily enough.

Jazzy--I am looking forward to the Immunization Clinic work, too, and eventually the travel medicine piece. It will be fun to work with healthy people who are planning overseas trips. Working with the terminally ill can be hard, and is emotionally draining at times, but surprisingly rewarding, too. I'm glad I can keep up that work on a lesser level and explore some other options. And you are right, I wasn't ready to make the leap of faith of going per diem earlier. But I have now, and am moving forward and loving it!

Illi--how rude of the system to make you celebrate last chemo with scans and drinking extra water so late at night!Actually I'm surprise you have appointments that late in the day, Around here scans are only done after 4 peeyem if they are emergencies. I suppose getting them done right off is better than waiting a week or more for an appointment. We'll move the celebration partay to the weekend so you can recover and participate.

Goldie--I don't think it's going to take me to figure out what is wrong with Dick, I think I'm only getting bits of pieces of info from Mom. She often only hears one thing when told 3 or 4. Or tries to protect me and my brother and Dick's kids and grandkids by not telling everything. Loved seeing the new pic on Fb, great to see it here, too.

Illi--so nice you can get scan results so quickly. I am praying the results will be what you expect, or better.

Cammy--I hope you and Dara get together, I bet you will have a great time. 3 years until Joey can drive? That will fly by fast.

Chi--isn't it nice to be able to check into flights by phone app these days? Does make travel more convenient to not have to keep track of paper tickets and boarding passes. Not to mention being able to get upgrades from time to time.Yummy menu!

Pontiac--I wouldn't feel too bad about not remembering about the screen, it must be a new trick, I've never heard of it before! So glad you could just ignore the decorating "ideas". Some people have trouble letting go of things that aren't theirs anymore. Do you realize you were 40 degrees warmer than me yesterday?

Yeah, DARA!!!

Image result for Hump Day drink recipe

• camillegal
    edited May 2017

Good morning ladies,

Oh what a great nite I and hope Wacko and Cheryl had--so nice and lots of talk and LOL stuff. And need I say Joey loved them so quickly, hey they're female. Dara and Joey were getting ready for their duet tonite--He's serious. Lori they actually got here about 8PM last nite, so funny, but Cheryl OMG I feel s sorry for her. She walk totally bent over, I don't know how she can stand it or how she did the ride. I'm so happy they have each other, they're so close. Ugh Dara and her pics. Jeez she wants to take some tonite WITH ME IN THEM--U all know what I think about that DARA!!! LOL I will tho.

Pegg I couldn't help but think WTF did the previous owner come over for and tell u HOW TO DECORATE u'r home????? That's strange to me anyway. How nice that u actually got to celebrate with u'r son now. I love family and friends so very much and that's where u should be.

Sandy how are u going to get all this done, well actually u'll need a vacation from getting ready for the vacation. And remembering when I did fly <big time fear> even passengers were so friendly and u did get a big meal with dessert, and always making sure everyone was comfortable. U'r leaving early too. It sounds great to just be with u'r DH for a while.

Jazzy how's the job front going. I wish for u whatever u want comes to u with ease. U deserve that.

OK work is starting for me so I'd better act a little professional.

LUBS U ALL