Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

how about drinking?

Comments

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited December 2020

Congratulations GIF - Congratulations - Discover & Share GIFs | Congratulations gif, Happy, CongratulationsI want it every word for word what happen.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,972
    edited December 2020

I am SO HAPPY for you NM about the new job. And I love that you are going in with your resignation letter, and telling them you are finished and starting right away. No reason to stick around for a job that is mistreating you and making you work all kinds of God awful hours.

I think you said there are benefits with the new job too through the contracting agency?

Happy Days are here again, congrats and hope you enjoy the new gig!

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited December 2020

YAAAAY, Kim!!!

No DOTD for me tonight: stepped on to the scale and...well, it's not the "quarantine 15," but pretty worrisome, especially since my next official weigh-in is just a month away. Wine almost every night, no exercise due to backache (and no walking to restaurant patios or shopping--getting everything delivered due to pandemic restrictions, colder weather, & pain), and giving in to carb-cravings (eating the crust from quiche, not peeling off the breading from fried stuff, Thanksgiving ('nuff said), eating cornstarch-laden stir-fries, having pity-party pie last week, midnight snacking on chips & cereal, etc.) have all taken their toll. So tonight, with a cauliflower pizza--not eating the crust--I'm drinking more water. And cutting back on even the low-carb breads and ultra-filtered milk in my coffee creations. Still fitting into my size 10s, but more snug-ly. Not bingeing by any means, but with my letrozole-impaired metabolism even the most modest carb-cheating can do damage. So it's back off the Mediterranean maintenance diet and back to near-keto again.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,717
    edited December 2020

DOTD was just a sip and as I suspected I didn’t like it. I’ve never tasted a merlot I liked, although this one wasn’t the worst. Excuse the language but in the words of Paul Giamatti in Sideways, “I’m not drinking any fucking Merlot!”

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited December 2020

Well NM, at this point you should be DONE at the nursing home. I bet there will be lots of shocked people there! Sadie feels your excitement, therefore she is excited. As for DH, I have no idea what is up with him.

Sandy, sorry for that weight gain, but sounds like you got it early and getting it taken care of.

LOL BG on the Merlot! Tell us how you really feel!

Plans changed today, no appts. They called and canceled. Which is fine by me, since it's supposed to be around 60 today!

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited December 2020

NM - I'm so happy for you for the school nurse job. If you want to chat, message me your phone number on fb, unless you are comfortable putting it here. I've been in the schools for 30 years and I still love it even with all the challenges. I did private practice and gave it up once I was full time in the schools. I work directly for the schools so I'm salary, but I know special service providers who work for contract agencies. You will rock the job!!!! Karen

• goldie0827
    edited December 2020

POINSETTIA POMEGRANATE MARTINI

Poinsettia Pomegranate Martini #holiday #cocktail #martini #recipe #PomegranateMartini #Pomegranate #gin #Christmas

• INGREDIENTS
      • 1.5 ounces gin*
      • 1 ounce pomegranate juice
      • 1 ounce fresh lime juice
      • .5 ounce simple syrup
      • pomegranate seeds and sliced lime to garnish
  • JCSLibrarian
    JCSLibrarian Member Posts: 548
    edited December 2020

Congrats, NM! You will be so good at working with children.

I live in a suburb, but close to the center of a larger (the state capital) city. Anyway, for many months the water department has been replacing water lines in my general area. Since yesterday they have been directly in front of my house. They did ask if they could park the numerous backhoes and other equipment in our empty lot. And now they have moved a porta-potty there as well! Last night they attempted to park a smallish backhoe in our front yard. DH went flying out the door without shoes to say “No!” They did move it. This morning it is so loud! They are drilling, sawing and otherwise tearing up the road. No naps today!

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited December 2020

JCS ouch!! This too shall pass???

NM, when you make a change you move right ahead! I gather you did not have to give two weeks notice.

Goldie, glad you got a chance for some well deserved downtime even though that now means the hassle of rescheduling appointments.

Ill have you been trying your wines both with food and without? I find some that I do not like alone are very good with food and others I enjoy alone.I

Hi to everyone.

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2020

Wed quick pop in and hope everyone is doing well for the most part. We have nice weather today but a storm moving tomorrow into the weekend. My job gave everyone a nice box of locally made, individually wrapped cookies for a gift. I have not gotten in to the box yet, but the time is coming.

JCS- it's amazing how you agree to some smaller things, then they take over the space with everything. I hope the work is done there soon and the equipment and facilities are gone and no messes left behind.

NM- I am hoping the last of your time went okay, and have no doubt there was a lot of begging, pleading and gnashing of teeth to try to have you stay until the could hire your replacement. I hope you are done and can enjoy a few days off before you start your new job on Monday. Yay for better work and a more predictible schedule. Sounds like Karen is in your corner with some similar work.

Ill- I remember back in the day when wines evolved from the traditional choices of chablis, rose or burgundy, that merlot was a common red wine most restaurants offer. I don't see it as much anymore (cab has definately taken it's place) but know what you are saying. I was never a big fan of merlot either. I love a good petite syrah or red meritage myself. If you ever want to try a good meritage, Franciscan makes a good and affordable one (around $35 a bottle). Meritages can be super expensive.

Chi- you have been so good and dedicated with your weight loss. I know you said you have not been able to exercise with your back issues and the extra lbs are probably just from that as you eat carefully. I am trying to get back in to my swimming and had been loosing a few lbs but nothing major. Maybe the new year will motivate and will add it to my goals list (loose weight, get the vaccine, etc.)

The news here says the Thankgiving travel surge is starting to hit with more cases increasing. Most of the hospitals here are above ICU capacity and warning it is the time rationing of care will start happening. On a positive note, first vaxes happening in the UK this week too.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909
    edited December 2020

Good afternoon, Loungettes!Happy Happy whatever day this is. Hmm, Wednesday? Yup, Wednesday. Went in to work at 7 peeyem last night, expecting to work until 3 ayem. The Director of Nurses was the nurse coming in at 3.Except that she overslept and it was almost 4 by the time she got there, and then she found a couple more things for me to do, so I ended up signing out around 4 ayem, gathered up the few things I wanted from my office, put my badge and key in an envelope with a copy of my resignation letter in the HR director's mailbox (I had called and talked with her yesterday), left a copy of the resignation letter in the DON's mailbox, and left. Walked away. AND did not say anything to the DON. (I almost wish I could be a fly on the wall when she finds my letter.) Cowardly, I know, but it avoided me getting treated to one of her special, in-your-face-screaming-swearing-name-calling tantrums. She was moaning about how tired she was. I actually kind of enjoyed telling her that one of the day shift nurses called out sick. While I do wish I could have said good-bye to some people, a quiet departure is best, I think. Some people won't even notice that I'm gone. I tried to talk to the admin, talked to the HR director several times, nobody should be surprised, right? So I get home around 5 ayem, fix something to eat and lots to drink (it was hotter than the hinges of Hades in the building last night) and figure I'd be wound and not be able to settle for a while. Wrong. I felt so relieved, and so relaxed, that I ended up falling asleep in the recliner as soon as I got done eating! Sadie woke me up, and I toddled off to bed, and slept like a rock until 1 peeyem.

I've looked over the onboarding stuff I need to do, will start actively working on that tomorrow. The usual stuff, TB testing, drug screening, copies of various forms, etc. Going to be a challenge to get it all done before Monday, but that's ok.

When I was talking with the HR director yesterday she reminded me that I have PTO time that I will get paid for. Last time I remember looking at the balance it was 120 hours, so I've got a check coming that will be equivalent to 3 weeks of full time pay! The school nurse job pays weekly, probably won't pay the first week or two, but that's pretty much covered by the PTO time. Not exactly bad news!

Illi--I bet those do sell out fast. They look like great fun.

Cammy--as you can see I wimped out, no dramatic exit! Just doing a disappearing act!

Jazzy--yes there will be benes through the contracting company. So I will be getting health insurance back, yeah! I think there is some retirement, too, but I'm not 100% sure on that one. Will have to wait and see when the info comes for signing up for those things.

Chi--sorry to hear about the weight gain, but it sounds like you caught it quickly. Hopefully that means it won't take long to reverse!

Illi--it's funny, the few reds I like tend to be Merlot or Pinot Noir! And frankly, the fact that you took a sip is pretty darn good. Show's you don't have a totally closed mind!

Goldie--Yup, done at the nursing home, been done for 11 hours or so. I think that at least a few people will be shocked or surprised, but probably not many. Glad you get a day off from appointments!

Karen--Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'll take you up on that offer!

Goldie--What a pretty Christmas drink!

Librarian--Yikes, what a noisy mess all that work must be! I'm glad you didn't let them park equipment on the lawn.

Beaver--This thing did move much faster than I thought it would. I was planning on a 2 week notice, but the school nurse position is new and is considered COVID Critical, and what I am doing at the nursing home is not direct patient care (supposedly) and thus cannot be classified as a critical position, and since I had already been told to expect to work overnight Saturday and Sunday (and probably the full 12 hours), and potentially start a new job Monday ayem,the HR director suggested an "immediate effect" resignation strategy, which would also decrease the likelihood of my getting verbally blasted by the DON, which is something I was afraid would happen. Actually, I was afraid that I would lose my temper if it happened, and that would not have been pretty. I was really expecting the job to start after the Holiday Break, but the school district wants the new nurses up and running ASAP to stop the need for one nurse to go back and forth between 2 schools. Full time nurses in each school better meets the student/staff/community needs and is safer from a COVID standpoint.

Jazzy--the last shift went reasonably well. It was Doctor Day, and there were 2 admissions so there was a ton of char/computer/paper- work to do taking care of new orders, and the DON found a couple more things for me to dobefore I left. Given that I left her with next to nothing to do she could have done those couple things easily enough in the 3 hours she was going to be there, but hey, that's the culture now, make sure everyone else does as much as possible so you have to do as little as possible.But now I am done, done, done. No begging or gnashing of teeth, no confrontations, just a silent walking out the door (after putting a couple boxes of personal stuff in the car).I will need to focus on onboarding stuff over the next few days, but that's ok. I had been thinking I'd get a couple of weeks off in between, but instead it will be2 short weeks (I probably will not be able to start on Monday as I will not have my PPD read until Monday, and Christmas break starts on Wed the 23rd) and then I will get a week off. Even so, this job is going to be much easier on the body, predictable, steady hours, none of the heavy lifting and turning, a week off in Feb and again in April. And with no bullying, no one looking for every mistake and trying to micromanage me I'll be able to breathe again! I am so looking forward to being happy to go to work again! The travel surge is hitting Maine, too, and in a lot of places it's worse than the original spring time round. But, hospitals and ICUs are nowhere near capacity yet, running about 50% occupancy, so there is still more talk about all the money the hospitals are losing by not doing elective procedures than there is concern about being overwhelmed.

• chisandy
    edited December 2020

Thanks for the good wishes about reversing the weight gain. True, I haven't been able to exercise due to my back (and the Bar Show online rehearsals have not involved the usual calorie-burning choreography of years past)--but if I said that ever since I went "on maintenance" I've been eating as "carefully" as before the weather turned and outdoor dining ended, I'd be kidding myself. Stuffing & cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving; and pie (pecan, passionfruit meringue, chocolate cream)--albeit 1/4 of a slice at a time, but they do add up; sneaking Cheerios & honey-sweetened grain-free "granola" into my keto cereal snacks; regular dark chocolate (rather than the ultra-dark or Stevia versions); those infernal flour tortilla chips from Whole Foods (basically, the same as fried wontons); fried chicken (Bob brings home from the office); rice & fried appetizers in Chinese meals; and the last four Girl Scout Thin Mints cookies...from last year. And wine with every dinner--even a daily 2-ounce pour (plus a little bubbly) does add up. Not all at once, not "binge" volume or frequency, but if my experience on 5 years of letrozole is any indication, I don't have an optimal metabolism. Starting yesterday, I ditched the "cheats;" it'll take a couple of days for my body to get the message that "the pity-party's over," but the "burn" should begin to "return."

DODT yesterday: water, black coffee, unsweetened almondmilk latte. Tonight it'll depend on when Bob comes home (I plan to grill & share a large pork chop), but it'll definitely be at least a repeat of yesterday.

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2020

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2020

NM- I am glad you were able to finish up and go. Eye roll that the person supposed to be in to relieve you at 3 a.m. was an hour late. But you are done and I am with you, sometimes it is just best to wrap it up, and leave quietly. And you avoided a crazy screamer too. I have left jobs where the managers were insane and went crazy when I gave my notice. I know things are very hard in anything the healthcare industry, I see it all the time at my heatlhcare org, but verbal abuse is not okay. Speaks to why no one will stay too.

Onward to the new school nurse job and whoot, you have some accrued PTO pay too, which means some cash paid out for things you want or need! Good luck getting all the onboarding stuff done to be ready to start. I bet you will have some more restful nights now with both a less toxic work environment and a regular schedule. So happy for you!

• illimae
    edited December 2020

Beaverintx, I take my first sip without food and if it’s not awful, I pour 4-5 oz and drink it with dinner.

Jazzy, so far I only really like sweet reds but I’m open.

So far the tasting has been fun but I haven’t found anything really great yet, fortunately I have until the 31st, so I’m hopeful.

DOTD, fizzy or acidic, I’m not sure but it’s not for me.

• beaverntx
    edited December 2020

DOTD here: Wolff vineyard (Caliifornia) 2008 petite sirah. Think we cellared it a bit too long. Had great color but was losing flavor and mouthfeel. Served with pasta/red sauce with seasoned meatballs and garlic bread. Interestingly, the garlic bread brought out the fruit in the wine.

• karen1956
    edited December 2020

NM - good for you on the quiet exit!!! let me know if you/when you want to talk. Back east vacations are much different than by me. We get 2 week winter break (last 2 weeks in December) and 1 week spring break and all of Thanksgiving week. No February week off. We do get MLK and Presidents day. I can't complain about the schedule as its 10 week summer break. You'll be awesome. Good luck with getting all the paperwork done prior to starting on Monday.

• goldie0827
    edited December 2020

JCS, glad you put the kabosh on those workers. That would drive me nuts, all that noise.

Jazzy, same weather here. No rain as of yet, but gray and gloomy. Hopefully your cookies are yummy.

NM, sounds like your exit was like "drop the mic". I will say, I was hoping for at least a little bit of juice, with you on top, of course. But glad it went smoothly and I too would like to be a fly on the wall. Grades 3-5, sounds like a good age to work with. Not old enough to be smart alecs, but young enough to know right/wrong. Will a lot of your work involve special needs? I can't believe that DON, not only came in late, but had the audacity to ask you to do more???? Well, at least you will get that nice PTO check.

i loved working in the schools, especially when my kids were little. It was nice having time off when they had time off.

Nothing for me until Monday, I get my next infusion and I think DH has like 3 appts. next week

DOTD: PEPPERMINTINIS

Peppermintini's - Delish.com

1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips, melted

1/4 c. crushed candy canes

6 oz. white chocolate liqueur

4 oz. vodka

2 oz. peppermint schnapps

2 tbsp. heavy cream

Ice

small candy canes

1. Pour melted chocolate onto a shallow plate, and place crushed candy canes on another shallow plate. Dip rims of martini glasses first in chocolate, then in candy canes. Pour remaining chocolate into the bottom of glasses and swirl to coat the bottom ⅓ of glasses with chocolate. Place glasses in freezer while you prepare the drink.
    2. Combine white chocolate liqueur, vodka, peppermint schnapps, and heavy cream in a cocktail shaker. Fill to the top with ice and shake until cold. Divide drink between 3 glasses and garnish with a candy cane before serving.
  • illimae
    edited December 2020

I saw online that an employee gave their boss a sympathy card as a resignation. It said “Sorry for your loss” and when opened, the employee wrote “it’s me, I quit”. Really wish I’d thought of that when I left work.

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2020

Ill- that is the best resignation letter EVER! I figure my next departure (god willing) will be my notification of retirement, but will keep that in mind, just in case! Too funny.

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2020

For Cami

• chisandy
    edited December 2020

Happy Hanukkah!

DODT: this afternoon, out on the deck, no jacket (!), a plain double espresso made the old-school way: from week-old Metropolis Red Line beans, ground immediately before "pulling" the shot on my prosumer "levetta" machine. After all those milky drinks & Nespresso capsules, I'd forgotten how utterly rich and delicious a perfect traditional espresso can be! With dinner tonight, will likely have some bubbly (maybe the Duboeuf B.N.). Stay tuned.

• karen1956
    edited December 2020

illi - that is the best resignation notice. When I leave this position, which I am very happy with, it will be to retire. Still debating how more years after this school year. Thinking 2 but it will take 3 to get youngest through university - of course it could be 1 more after this year. When it's no longer fun, I'm done.

The cold is here with snow coming.

Tonight is the first night of Chanukah. My DH and I don't exchange gifts so its just lighting the Chanukiah (Chanukah menorah). I'll make potato latkes on Sunday - a once/year treat. Will talk to the kids either tonight or tomorrow. Youngest daughter will call in the morning as its 9 hours later by her. Other daughter is 2 hours later and son in same time zone.

Stay warm, stay safe and stay healthy.

• illimae
    edited December 2020

DOTD is ok, a bit better than the other cab I tried.

• chisandy
    edited December 2020

Rotating Chanukkiot--tonight's the modern one. And the electric one's in the window. I know halachically you're supposed to put a real one in the window facing the street, but I have cats. Not just that, but last year there was a horrific fire in the Midwood section of Brooklyn--the husband was away on business, and the wife decided to ditch the candles and use her new traditional oil-burning Chanukkiah...and she put it in the window and lit the first wick. Flames leapt up and the drapes caught fire. The house burned down and she was killed. The kids were at a party.

• beaverntx
    edited December 2020

Oh, Sandy, how horrific! Wishing all who observe. a happy and safe Chanukah.

• karen1956
    edited December 2020

Sandy, we put ours on the dining table over tinfoil and open the blinds. Safest option for us. Our window ledge isn't that large and would mean moving the sofa and the blinds issue - plus we used to have dogs and at one time little kids. Happy Chanukah.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909
    edited December 2020

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy TGIF Day! Did some running around yesterday trying to get onboarding stuff done, didn't get very far. So it's back into town today to get the TB test planted, drug screen done, and meet up with a friend who will help with another form verifying my eligibility to work in the US. Since The TB test can't get read until Monday, it looks like my start date will have to be moved over at least one day. But, I got the offer on Tuesday, and got all but one of the paperwork things done that day, so I guess I'm doing OK! Most of the paperwork I did Tuesday was putting the same info into different forms, and I was talking out loud during a lot of it, so by now Sadie knows my resume and tax info by heart just by hearing it so many times! You would think in this electronic age that I could submit my resume and the computer could take the info and fill in the forms.

I've discovered an unexpected benefit from resigning from the nursing home. I have traumatic arthritis on top of osteoarthritis in my right knee, and that knee has been really hurting the last few weeks. As in 8 out of 10 hurt, taking tylenol to be able to walk all the way through a work shift, and hurting all the time even when not walking on it. Wednesday peeyem I noticed the knee was not hurting when I was not walking on it, and was stiff and sore but nothing really notable when I was walking on it. Yesterday I noticed that it was stiff and got a little bit sore after walking for some time, as in 3 out of 10, noticeable but ignorable. The only thing different is the resignation. Here I thought the arthritis was getting worse (or maybe bone mets had crossed my mind) and all the time it was stress! Our bodies really do try to talk to us!

Chi--It's amazing how quickly the "cheats" can add up. Still good that you caught it early, so there is less to take back off. I wish I had your discipline when it comes to eating!

Jazzy --Love the pic! Eye roll the person relieving me, indeed, especially since it was the Director of Nursing herself! If I had been late relieving her there would have been he## to pay. Getting all the onboarding stuff done in less than 7 days is being a bit of a challenge, but I should just make it. It actually works out in my favor to not go to work on Monday, since the guy is coming to clean the furnace Monday ayem. At least I won't have to reschedule that appointment. And I am sleeping much better already. I'm having very odd dreams about taking tests and running around looking for things, but they're only odd and not scary, so I'll just roll with them. I know it's just my subconscious telling me that it's worried about the new job falling through after already quitting the old one. My subconscious would have preferred I stayed on at the old place until the new job onboarding was completed. I am so looking forward to a fun work environment, and working with kids has always been fun for me!

Illi--fizzy or acidic, sounds like something I might like! Even if you don't find something wondreful, it's fun trying new wines.

Beaver--very interesting about the garlic bread bringing out the fruit in the wine!

Karen--If all goes as planned I'll have everything done but the TB test reading by the end of the day today. Maybe we can talk this weekend? I'll let you know when I know for sure when I will be home. I am going to take some time to drive to the various schools in the district this weekend just to look at them. I seem to remember Christmas Break being longer, too, but that was back when it was called Christmas break and not Winter break. Things have changed over time. I'm not sure how long the summer break is. Just knowing what the hours and days will be in advance and not having them change frequently will feel like a vacation. And, I expect I will actually get to eat lunch regularly, too. I have found that days when I did get to eat lunch the entire day seems shorter and better.

Goldie--I suppose a really good exit scene would have been satisfying, but with healthcare being such a small community at heart I didn't want to permanently burn any bridges I didn't have to. Walking with essentially no notice will be bad enough to have on my record, although with today's work ethics it's not so bad a thing anymore. According to the job description the school nurse is involved in the planning sessions for kids with special needs. I'm not sure how much of that there is. Yup, the DON is one of the bully nurses who wants to make sure the nurse working half the shift does at least 95% of the 12 hour shift work, reasonable or not. Such an attitude of looking out for #1. Good luck with the next infusion. And good luck to DH with his appointments.

LOVE the Peppermintinis!

Illi--WOW--that was GREAT!That's the way to make a statement!

Jake in the Lake over Elf on the Shelf ANY day!

Chi--that must have been a great espresso!

Thank, Teka!

Karen--Happy Hannukah! Enjoy your calls with your children.

Chi--how horrible!What a tragedy for that family.

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 581
    edited December 2020

Back at work now, time off was so good. Our office did not ever close down, we just have limited to how many people can wait in the lobby to be helped and have put up those plexiglass shields. Some people have been working from home because of health issues or someone in their household having health issues.

Illi - that resignation is funny, I would laugh even if I was the boss receiving it from someone. The wine advent calendar sounds fun and a great way to try new wines.

Jazz - Definitely Jake on the lake!

NM- it will be great to just have regular hours and days off for you. So happy for you.

I have to go back to work now, I will pop in later.

• chisandy
    edited December 2020

Coffee geeks call that kind of espresso a "God shot" (apologies to the Deity). Perfect taste, temp, consistency and color/thickness of the layer of "crema" on top. (Quick bit of trivia: the Italians call that rusty-brownish layer "schiuma," which means--eeeuww--"scum").

Last night's DOTD with Hanukkah dinner was Louis Jadot Beaujolais-Villages 2019. Much more "serious" than a Nouveau, subtler bouquet--but not as "serious" as a cru Beauj. (a named wine from one of those "villages:" Fleurie, Regnie, Julienas, Chenas, Morgon, Moulin a Vent, etc.).

Kim, isn't it amazing how that cortisol released during stress can cause all sorts of nasty stuff? It leads in turn to the release of inflammatory cytokines--and that stiff sore knee is due to the resulting inflammation (even if only osteo rather than rheumatoid, the deteriorated cartilage and surrounding tissue get very "angry"). I'm beginning to take seriously my Apple Watch's constant admonitions to "Breathe." Helping my back. (Having to constantly shoo the cat off the dinner table--and from "video bombing" my Zoom shoots--does add stress).

Tonight, a bubbly. We learned last night that we have something to celebrate, but are not at liberty to say till the 21st. (No, it has nothing to do with the vaccine).