Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

how about drinking?

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,313
    edited December 2020

Mae - HOORAY for the negative Covid and hope everything goes well tomorrow with the Gamma Knife. Interesting about the wine. I drank white when I was younger but only red in the last 40 years. Now I really enjoy several of the Sauvigon Blanc wines. Looking forward to your review.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,717
    edited December 2020

Minus, keep in mind that my review comes from a girl that likes boxed wine that tastes like juice, lol

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited December 2020

Ilona, that Sauvignon Blanc is almost certainly going to be somewhat dry. Because Bridge Road is from various locations all over CA (but mainly Central Valley), it'll have a mostly citrusy aroma. It's Aldi's house label, part of the E&J Gallo empire. One aroma it won't have is what the French call "pipi du chat," which is exactly what it sounds like--characteristic of many exclusively-Napa Valley Sauv. Blancs grown in vineyards close to eucalyptus groves.

If you like your wines on the sweet side, look for Sauternes, Barsac, lightly sparkling Italian (or CA Italian-style) Moscato "amabile," or the words "late harvest" on the label when it comes to whites. Many American rieslings have a little graphic on the rear label showing how sweet or dry they are. Another indicator of sweetness is a "residual sugar" level on the label, right near the alcohol (or "ABV") percentage. For bubbly--Asti Spumante, or the words "demi-sec" or "doux." For reds, Port or any Port-style: Yalumba from Australia makes a great one. There are some sweet or at least off-dry American "native" or "hybrid" varietals, many of which are made in states not known for their wines (at least not standard European varietals). If you have a branch of Cooper's Hawk Winery in the Houston area, they have some interesting ones (including an amaretto-flavored sparkler).

Usually, the lower the alcohol, the higher the residual sugar (i.e., which hasn't fermented) and the sweeter the wine. An exception is fortified wines--which are sweet but much higher in alcohol due to the addition of some form of brandy. Examples are port, sweeter sherries (oloroso, cream, PX) and Madeiras (Malmsey, Bual), and the deceptively named "vins doux naturelles" (Muscat de Frontignan, Muscat Beaumes de Venise, etc.).

• minustwo
    edited December 2020

Well Muscat is too sweet for me, however you would probably really like Muscat. Too bad for the darn virus or I would bring over my small half/bottle of Chateau Miselle Sauternes - Grand Vin de Bordeaux bottled in Landrias, France. I bought it on a whim at a tasting event at Total Wine. Not sure why since I don't usually favor sweet wines. Maybe I'd only have a very small sip after dinner - if I ever open the bottle.

I do agree Mae that there are some pretty decent box wines. I see that Costco even has their name brand Kirkland on box wines now. But as some of you may know, I rarely spend more than $10-15 for a bottle of wine. I get some good wines but am definitely not a high dollar connoisseur.

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited December 2020

Minus, sweet wine solution: have with unsweetened berries such as blackberries, they balance each other out nicely!

• illimae
    edited December 2020

Thanks for the info Sandy, I appreciate it.

So, I liked it. It wasn’t sweet like some reds but actually didn’t seem dry or boozy, as most whites I’ve tried were. No particular flavor popped out at me but I was drinking it while eating dinner and garlic bread but it was good. I’d have it again, if I was just having a glass or two. Might go ahead and finish the little bottle.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,972
    edited December 2020

Peppermint rum creme

• chisandy
    edited December 2020

We're (sloooowly) working our way through a 375ml bottle of Nicolas Sauternes we got at Cellars' Oct. French bistro wine dinner. Not the sweetest or most unctuous Sauternes I've ever had (that would go to an '85 Yquem which the cellarmaster insisted we open...and finish...at a tour of the winery, on my very first trip to Europe), but quite lovely. I do have a soft spot for Ch. Suidiraut, the first one I ever tasted, at our 10th anniversary dinner at Froggy's in Highwood, IL. But some amazing ones that were not from Sauternes but in that style (very late harvest, botrytised--infected with the fungus otherwise known as "noble rot"): Eldorado Gold Sauv. Blanc by Ferrari-Carrano (CA) and Sokol-Blosser Late Harvest Chardonnay (OR, a winery better known for Pinot Noir). That was the only late harvest Chardonnay I've ever encountered.

There are also German "eisweins" (and their NY and ON counterparts "ice wines"). Those are made from grapes not harvested until the first real frost--the cold weather concentrates the sugars but without the honey overtones of the botrytis fungus. Before the wildfires, Bonny Doon near Santa Cruz would make a version called "Vin de Glaciere" (literally, "Wine from the Icebox"--the winemaker Randall Grahm is a notorious punster). Instead of waiting for winter weather unknown to the Silicon Valley/South Bay Area, and not wanting to rely on nature's whim to produce conditions conducive to botrytis, the grapes instead are frozen and then thawed out, yielding a thicker and sweeter juice when pressed.

American sweet reds tend to be late harvest Zinfandels (some of which are fortified into CA "port"); but Quady Vineyards in the San Joaquin Valley makes a deep red sweet black Muscat (a grape formerly relegated to sacramental use) called "Elysium;" its lighter but still sweet orange Muscat counterpart is called "Essensia."

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited December 2020

Best Good Morning Vampire GIFs | Gfycat

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited December 2020

BabyGirl, sorry about that loss on the trip, I hope it wasn't too much.

JCS, enjoy your mountain visit with friends this weekend. Sounds like your hike was nice too. No hotel stays here, just hung out in the parking lot after he went in, and home afterwards. I too have not had any vaccines, I've been sick (not much), but I don't think with any flu. Also because of how remote we live.

Misty, glad there were no fingers lost in the cheese cutting. Don't need TG memories like that!

NM, getting the school nursing job with per diem on the side, esp. for summer, sounds poyfect. Quite a big difference on the garage door companies! Glad you are getting done.

Sandy, hopefully you will get your mammo results soon and that they are good ones. Great way to use the reverse phycology on Bob so he won't work so much! Because I respond as I read, I hadn't seen your mammo results, good deal on the all clear.

Cami, sorry Joey has to have the teeth pulled. Hopefully they are ones that won't show. You have always said your family is always coming down with "rare" things! Sorry FF has to throw a wrench in your Xmas. And of course you can't just ask Jodie to leave his sorry butt home!

BabyGirl/Minus2, you are both are in Houston, just realized that. Have you ever met?

Jazzy, that Peppermint Rum Cream sounds yummy. I think I might want it on the rocks for sipping. Or good in coffee or hot chocolate?

What a day! Left here at 5 am, got to the hospital and checked in. The stones were up high, one on each side. Surgeon said he might not be able to reach them, but he did! DH has thought for months his bowels were compacted, passing a lot of mucous instead of stool. Primary said from the CT scan he is not. Well, coming home from the hospital, he was cramping real bad but still nothing. Before leaving the hospital he wanted to use the restroom, well his urine of course is full of blood from the surgery, well some missed the toilet, so I had to go in and clean that. Then we stopped at our accountants office, as he had to go again. I ran over to the post office next door. He came out with 3 of the girls, pants soaking wet in the front, he was so humiliated. Get home, 1/2 hour later, he doesn't make it to the bathroom in time and leaves a bloody urine trail from the foyer, through the laundry room and in the bathroom, now I have to clean that up! Then a small accident on the bed, so I will be washing all that today! I think I went to bed befor 5, and slept until 5! He had bought some diapers, I told him he needs to be wearing them! He is refusing to do PT, not a priority to him, says what for? I said, so you can walk! That's not a priority? All they do is make you ride a bike and I can do that here at home. He bought one of those under the desk pedal things. Well, that;s not ALL they make you do. But I can't make him.

• camillegal
    edited December 2020

Mornin' ladies,

Happy to hear aboutall tests coming out good, always nice to hear.

I think I would take the covid vaccine right away, even tho that scares me too, most vacc. do. only cuz whenever I did get one I landed in the hospital in ICU for some reason. But covid is something else. Now if everyone wears a mask for the first 100 days like Pres.elect Biden is going to order I'm sure that will help, but there are people who won't I know it.

Wow u ladies know ur wines and Illi nothing wrong with boxed wine, u still know ur wines. I used to drink white mostly but red was good too.After growing up on home made wine for yrs. everything else tasted so weak, of course I could drink more then. But I like these winter drinks we're showing here.

JC u fin so much pleasure in all u do, I envy you and u and ur DH sound like a perfect match. U both enjoy so much together. U have been blessed in many ways.

Lori always thinking about u and praying things start looking up.

I can't believe it's Friday already, 3 more weeks till crazy Christmas and it's true these deliveries r taking longer, which I didn't count on

Hello to everyone and have a good Friday.

LUBS U ALL

• illimae
    edited December 2020

Goldie, yes, minus and I had a delicious lunch and great conversation last year, I think. We share our favorite restaurants often but haven’t met up again since covid.

Hi minus 👋

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909
    edited December 2020

Just a quick poop in, the recruiter is calling in a few minutes, zoom interview at 11. Feeling just a tad nervous!

More later.

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2020

Happy Friday friends. It's another pay day, whoot. The organization has been putting an extra amount in our paycheck here at the end of the year and also giving us all an edible gift for Xmas since no parties. I like it! I am slammed with work, but getting good feedback on our efforts so far.

Goldie- I am so sorry your husband can participate more with his recovery. PT is very important for mobility, does he want to be bed ridden? I don't know anyone who wants that. Sending you big hugs.And the name of that drink is from a bottle called Tippy Cow Peppermint Bark rum creme. I got that last year around this time but never opened it. Like a Bailey's and will try in coffee, but too late to drink that last night.

Cami- my pn line orders are running late, got three at the door yesterday, more coming today. I have something to go to UPS and been trying to get there this week after work, but my people have been keeping me on the phone after 5 p.m. I hope to go tonight and it gets there when it gets there.

NM- good luck with the interview which I think is now underway. Things that make me nervous are usually a sign I probably really would like the job. I hope you get a good sense of things from your call and get a quick offer so you can give your notice, and move on to what makes you happy. Fingers crossed.

My friend with the bc is having surgery this morning and we have texted a bit this morning as she prepares for things. Hoping all goes well today and bringing them food tomorrow if they want. She's handling it all really well, but as we all know, it's when you get into treatment it all becomes very real.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited December 2020

Oh Lori, I'm so sorry that you are having to deal with so much. Sending you hugs.

• illimae
    edited December 2020

Happy Friday! Saw this beauty at the hospital, enjoy.

• JCSLibrarian
    JCSLibrarian Member Posts: 548
    edited December 2020

Sandy, I knew you would have a few words about my vaccine statement. LOL! I am kinda old school in my thinking about germs. A few bad germs keep the body honest and ready to fight off infections. Sickest people I have ever known were the ones taking too many antibiotics, washing their hands until they were raw, etc. I do try to do everything I can to prevent catching anything or passing an illness to others. If this vaccine really slows down the infection rate of Covid, I will be happy to include myself. I will likely wait until others that are regularly exposed due to their jobs and those with the greatest need have completed the two cycles

Made my Grandmother’s applesauce oatmeal cookies this afternoon. House smells pretty good now. Tomorrow I will start some Christmas decorating. Might think about changing things up some. Been looking at Pinterest for ideas. The rain is moving in, then back out pretty quickly.

Sounds like people are having positive days. Take care!

• chisandy
    edited December 2020

JCS, normally a robust microbiome is protective and keeps the immune system on its toes--but there are microbes that the body can't always fight on its own, which include not just novel viruses but also those that cause epidemics (especially what we called "childhood diseases"). I agree that overuse of antibiotics and many antibacterial cleansers can cause the development of resistant strains of bacteria. But when it comes to viruses--which have a protein coat that is vulnerable to the surfactants in plain ol' soap and warm-to-hot water--there's no such thing as too clean. Making handwashing mandatory when entering & leaving patients' rooms made a dramatic difference in hospital-acquired infections (bacterial & viral); and before Pasteur & Lister promoted handwashing (even before anyone had heard of viruses), infections were the leading cause of death in Western society.

This week, COVID-19 became the leading cause of death in America--leapfrogging over cancer, heart attack & stroke, and violent trauma. One of Bob's hospitals, Advocate Christ, is a regional distribution center for the Pfizer vaccine (because it has the requisite ultra-freezer), but will be prioritizing those healthcare workers who work the COVID ward (not necessarily private-practice doctors like Bob who go to the hospitals every day and whose patients inadvertently & unknowingly expose them to the virus). Never mind that some--like Bob--are also >70 and have some central obesity. Combined risk factors don't let you jump the line. I believe there will be nobody at that hospital vaccinated (at least not in the rollout) except those who work on the COVID floor. Some vaccine will be allocated to hospitals able to store it at normal freezer temperatures for up to 5 days--maybe his powerful friend at Holy Cross can pull strings but I doubt it. The Chicago area will get 23,000 doses from the state's initial allocation; but there is a separate Federal allocation of 20-25,000 doses for the city itself. However, the city's Health Dept. is also following the state priority protocols, and additionally will be concentrating first on the hardest-hit (mostly minority) parts of the city--residents of those areas, not necessarily doctors who practice there (like Bob at Holy Cross in hard-hit Marquette Park).

But that's the initial rollout of the Pfizer vax (as soon as next week). Moderna might come as soon as a week after that--and it has a longer shelf-life at less extremely-cold temps. (But its second dose is administered four weeks later, as opposed to Pfizer's which is administered three weeks later). So nobody in IL, at least not in Chicago, will be fully-vaccinated before at least early-to-mid-January. And even though I'm a geriatric (70 next month) cancer patient with asthma, I'm still pretty far down the line--only slightly ahead of younger essential workers. Acc. to the NYTimes' calculator, Gordy (a 36-yr-old non-essential worker with asthma) and his girlfriend (a 30-yr. old obese teacher) are not much further back (if at all) in line than I.

Not sure what the DOTD will be--depends on when Bob gets home. (Need some lead time to chill a white or rosé). All I know is that we'll have the remaining Chinese leftovers, pan-seared grouper or Buffalo wings, and the butternut squash and cauliflower mash I bought Wed.

• illimae
    edited December 2020

DOTD is a red moscato, it’s good, a little fizzy, which I didn’t expect but I’ll finish the bottle.

• jazzygirl
    edited December 2020

Blood orange cider shorty

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 581
    edited December 2020

I am loving my time off from work, I think I would be really good at this not working thing. lol I go back to work next Wed., but its ok, I really feel like I am getting some stuff done and still finding time to lay around a bit.

Goldie- if I ever win the lottery, I think I would get you a chauffer to drive you and your husband. I feel so bad for ya all having to make that trip so often.

NM - I am so excited for the interview. I hope it went well. I think it would be such a change and boost of adrenaline going from the elderly to the young.

JC - I am so jealous of your hikes. I am going to see if I can find a place to hike here, I am sure some of the grand kids would like to go. My daughter and her friends all get together and made kind of a group they call "adventuresize" they go boating, board paddling, they play kickball, its grown-ups and kids. Some of them went hiking and camping out in Georgia. She did not go to that one.

Jazz- So glad you like the job. I hope your friend heals quickly after surgery. She is very lucky to have a good friend like you.

illi- I was laughing, I think your last 2 wine posts end with deciding to finish the bottle. Love the butterfly.

Karen1956 - every time I see your posts I think of my sister, her name is Karen and she was born in 1956.

Cami- hope you get to enjoy your family at Christmas.

Hello to all- Sandy, teka and minus and whoever else I miss. Its been a long day.

• chisandy
    edited December 2020

Back atcha, mistyeyes!

Well, it's official--whatever of the initial batch of Pfizer vaccine that Advocate Christ is not allocating to suburban area hospitals & long-term-care facilities will go to only those employed by Christ hospital itself (or in practices owned by the hospital) and work in the COVID ward. Doesn't matter how many times they get exposed in their own practices, or when doing consults at Christ (nearly every day). So Bob's only hope of getting vaccinated by Christmas will be either at Little Company of Mary (where he has been most often exposed) from the south suburban allocation, or Holy Cross (if his friend pulls strings) from the city's separate allocation. I wish I could tell him to refuse to go into any of the hospitals, and to do only tele-health unless & until he gets vaccinated, but I'd be talking to a wall.

Lori, this too shall pass (Darrell's stones already have, thank goodness); husbands can be SO stubborn--and the older they get, the more set in their ways. It's definitely a "guy thing." They will do what they want to do, the way they're used to doing it (even if there's a better, cheaper & easier way) and not try anything the slightest bit new to them. You can lead a horse to water....but it's gotta be their favorite brand of water...

Kim, fingers crossed you get that school-nurse job. Stats are showing that kids in early grades are less likely vectors than previously thought--and you would be infinitely safer than at nursing homes.

Landscaper is coming over tomorrow to hang lights on our arborvitae--he didn't have his long ladder today. I have a 10am Bar Show Zoom rehearsal. As I feared, I don't have a solo (nor even part of a trio) in this grand finale number--I find it darn near impossible to sing well in a closet, into an iPhone, with an earbud playing the backing track. I'm used to singing out normally, unamplified with my own accompaniment (or to a backing track audible to the listener); on stage miked, or in the studio where I can hear my own voice in the headphones (one track for me, one track for the instruments) rather than by bone conduction. When I do my Zoom solo concert for Wild Hog in March (assuming it still isn't safe to go to WI), I won't have to pop in earbuds or phones until the post-set Q&A session. Just me standing in my living room, with my webcam and tripod ring-light, in front of the fireplace--no fire, just a row of instruments.

DOTD: with wings & a little fried rice, Alpha Box & Dice 2019 "Pink Matter" rosé (Australia); with the winter squash and the cauliflower risotto (with shaved white truffle--mmmmm...), Maryhill 2012 Serendipity red blend (Columbia Gorge, WA). And with a sliver of passionfruit meringue pie, a splash of Nicolas Sauternes. All told, just about 3 oz. of wine(s). Gotta love Coravin.

• minustwo
    edited December 2020

Goldie - yup Mae & I sure did meet for a delicious Vietnamese meal. Wish we could do it again. And I plan to come meet you when we finally get to travel again & I head to my cousin's house in Taylor. I love the idea of eating in the town called Snowflake. I've had so much fun meeting BCO members around the country.

• camillegal
    edited December 2020

Best Cat Yawn GIFs | Gfycat

• goldie0827
    edited December 2020

Cami, you and I knocked each other in the cement pond yesterday morn! The water was so warm, it felt good. I believe like you, not everyone will wear the mask. Unless there are consequences, and ones that will be enforced, it won't happen. They need a jail, just for people that won't wear a mask, and put some in there that have Covid, let it make the rounds, and with no treatment, they don't deserve treatment.

NM, hoping to bump in the pewl with you this morning, we all want to know how the interview went. I will refresh before I post, just in case.

Jazzy, I don't believe DH wants to be bed ridden, I think he just wants to get better on his own and on his own terms! I think I will get on his butt today and make him do more. I saw the Tippy Cow online.I hope all went well with your friends surgery.

BabyGirl (BG), nice capture of the flower (hydrangia?) and butterfly. And glad to know you are finishing the wines! Are you sharing with DH?

Misty, I actually like driving, so that's a good thing. Just not this much! But thanks for the chauffer offer. But if it does come down to it, could ya get me this one please!

See the source image

BG/Minus, that is so nice that you have met. I love meeting breasties from here. I have probably met about a dozen. Jazzy and I were going to get together, but like the two of you, damned Covid.

Sandy WOW, leading cause of death now, just wow! And yes, this too shall pass, just not quick enough!

See the source image

• illimae
    edited December 2020

Haha! Your balls, lol

Goldie, my husband has had a few sips but he’s not a big drinker anymore, just beers or bourbon while camping or a rare party. They’re mine and he knows it, lol

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909
    edited December 2020

Good Morning,Loungettes! Happy Saturday! My system is so messed up from working 7 peeyem to 3 ayem that I hardly know what time of day it is anymore. Anyway, to get everyone ketchuped:

I interviewed via Zoom Friday ayem. The school district is looking for 2 more nurses to add to the staff so that each school has its own nurse. Right now a couple of nurses go back and forth between 2 schools, and they want to stop that due to COVID (and flu and other contagious childhood illnesses).Some Principals cover more than one school, but their work can be done entirely remotely if necessary, while school nursing can't. The contract is through the end of the current school year. 7 hours per day, 5 days per week. Benefits would be through the staffing agency, not the school district. The recruiter I'm working with feels pretty sure that if I get this contract, getting it renewed for the next school year won't be any problem.COVID was a big topic of discussion, of course. The interview was with several of the nurses and a couple of administrators. They had a printed list of questions, some were pretty hard, most were what I expected. I think I did pretty well. They aren't going to have many chances at getting a Master's Degree nurse who is already CPR Instructor certified, and since they are willing to consider new nursing grads I'm hoping that gives me a bit of a boost. It also doesn't sound like there are many applicants, but that's just a gut impression.So now I wait, they said they would be in touch with the agency Friday or Monday. So now I wait.

In the meantime, I need to get the garage cleaned out and some stuff moved around so the guys can replace the garage doors.

Oh, yes, I got a text asking me to work 7 peeyem to 3 ayem Tues and Wed this coming week. I said yes to Tues, told them I have a commitment on Wed (Its Wednesday, Women and Wine night, getting together via Zoom). I've been expecting to get a text asking me to work another night but that hasn't happened yet. Still time, though.

I set up the interview in the bedroom (best background, most comfortable, and most outlets for the electronics), and in the middle Sadie came and looked in the door, snorted, and turned around and walked back out to the living room. Obviously I was in her nap spot! I half expected her to come in and climb up on the bed, curl up and snooze during the interview!

Beaver--it's going to be a hard job trying to get everyone to agree to and follow any set of recommendations I'm afraid. There's been so much change, and so few Americans really understand how real science works that's there's lots of distrust and disbelief floating around, fueled by the conspiracy theorists and other fringe groups. And losing your job because of having to quarantine, or losing money by having to quarantine, is a big and real problem.

Jazzy--that photo is magnificent. And it is so worth it to stop a minute and grab a photo like that, and most of the time you will still be on time for whatever meeting, appointment, etc.

Goldie--I've been following events on Fb. So hard for the both of you!

Illi--interesting name!

Chi--At least you had the portal to get the mammo results in a timely fashion. I had to call my PCP office for a month before anyone would tell me what mine said, even after telling me they needed to make a referral to a surgeon. That took 3 months. . . .Praying yours is clear. So sorry to hear one of your fav restaurants is closing down, but happy that it's for the more routine reason of retirement/good offer.

Cammy Cat--I am really hoping to get the school nurse position. It would be a great change for me, and even if it only lasted until the end of June that's 6 months of steady work. And time to keep looking for something else if I need to. And it will mean 6 months of health insurance! So Joey has as "rare" tooth condition? He had a good comeback! I hope you get the Christmas you want, sounds like It should just stay at home. If it weren't for Marty and Joey you could claim you wanted a Girl's Christmas!

Librarian--Not all of school nursing can be done remotely from what I gathered. But it won't be any worse than what I'm doing now with the constant testing and screening, and monitoring visitors and such. And you are right, there will be drama everywhere. In my mind dramatic children are more entertaining than dramatic nurses. Or at least I hope so! One of the things the CDC has to contend with is that the COVID vaccines are 2 shots, 3 or 4 weeks apart. They have to coordinate getting supplies for the people who need a second shot with the supplies for people getting the first shot while coordinating for the second wave of first shots to be covered with asecond, and so forth. It's a massive and very complicated process being involving Federal, State, County, Town governments and the private sector, but not truly managed by anyone, and all at the mercy of the pharmaceutical manufacturing companies. This is the kind of thing the Public Health system was created for, but that has been pretty much demolished over time. Maybe this whole thing will bring back the Public Health system as it was meant to be.

Chi--Glad to hear about the "all clear" letter!Good info about shingles, except for one detail--the virus is shed from the shingles rash, and can cause chicken pox in someone who is not immune. That's why CNAs and nurses who are pregnant, trying to get pregnant, or not immune/immunized against chicken pox cannot take care of a patient with a shingles rash. You cannot pass shingles on to someone else, but you can give them chickenpox if you have the shingles rash. A few chickenpox outbreaks have been traced back to an unimmunized child having contact with a family member (often agrandparent) with active shingles.One thing I have discovered since no longer being able to have shots in my arms is that getting vaccine shots in the thigh is actually more comfortable. The initial soreness at the injection site is much less and lasts only a day or two, compared to the soreness for 4 or 5 days in my arm. Which is actually logical, the muscle in the thigh is much bigger than the one in the arm, so it can accommodate more vaccine volume without structural damage. I also don't get the 3-5 days of the "flu-ey" feeling, maybe only 2-3 days. Again, larger muscle mass, slower activation of the immune system, mimics the natural exposure/response cycle our bodies are used to. Nice to have gotten at least one advantage from the beast!Oh, yes, I did get a second advantage, too--I could check off "yes" to "Do you have or have you ever had a disability?" since bc qualifies as a disability!

Illli--I seldom drink red wines, but there are a couple that I enjoy a glass of now and again. I hope you like the white. Congats on the negative covid test. Good luck with the treatment.

Great info about wines!

Jazzy--peppermint rum crème?Do you have a recipe or is this out of the bottle like Rum Chatta?

Chi--fascinating info!Thanks for sharing!

Goldie--good Lord, what a day you two had! I can't believe the hospital sent him home without a couple of pads to put in his underwear, knowing that leaking and urgency was going to happen. It must have been absolutely horrifying for him. You are right, you can't make him go to therapy. But maybe after a couple days of rest he won't feel quite so afraid of embarrassing himself (or be willing to wear the protective underwear) and will be willing to go again.

Cammy Cat--I think Biden has a point. If EVERYONE did what was recommended for 100 days, we'd knock this thing down and out. But, since we don't have a Public Health Department that can enforce isolation and quarantine, I doubt we'll be able to get enough of a buy-in to make the 100 day approach work.

Jazzy--getting good feedback on your work is wonderful! And the extras are fun, too! Thanks for the good wishes. Now for the patently waiting phase. . . .Prayers for your friend.

Karen--Beautiful, indeed!

Librarian--I don't blame you for wanting to wait a bit before getting the vaccine. I'd wait a year or two if it were possible, to see what longer term side effects emerge. I hope people understand that getting the vaccine does not mean they can stop masking and such. It's not going to be a magic bullet that makes COVID go away.

Illi--that moscato looks LOVELY!I like the little bit of fizz you sometimes get with moscato.

Misty--how much time off do you have from work?

Chi--Thanks for the fingers crossed! It would be a fantastic change from the constant life-or-death intensity and ongoing staffing crisis of the nursing home. I can't even imagine how hard it must be to sing well with all those distractions going on!

Goldie--I think the interview went well, at least I hope so.My body is so out of whack from the funky hours that I feel perpetually tired and confused.

image>

image>

The Waiting Room

INGREDIENTS

• 5 Cherry Tomatoes
    • 5 basil leaves
    • 2 oz Blanco Tequila
    • 1 oz Lime Juice
    • .75 oz agave nectar
    • .25 oz aged balsamic vinegar
    • Himalayan Pink Salt

INSTRUCTIONS

Step one

Rub a lime around the rim of a coupe and roll it in the salt, if using.

Step two

In a shaker, muddle the tomatoes.

Step three

Add remaining ingredients and ice.

Step four

Shake and strain into the rimmed coupe. Add one big cube of ice and serve.

From <https://www.thrillist.com/recipe/tomato-tequila-cocktail-the-waiting-room>

• goldie0827
    edited December 2020

NM, this is what Jazzy had.

See the source image

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited December 2020

NM, fingers crossed for the best decision on the job front! Also, thanks for the reminder re shingles and transmission. I had intended to include the "no touching" in my comments but good old Tamoxifen brain erased the thought!

• chisandy
    edited December 2020

Might indulge in some Kirkland "Traditional Eggnog" Bob brought home (it has cream, eggs, vanilla and spiced rum). Perhaps fold in some whipped cream. But for sure some more Pink Matter rosé with the last of the Chinese (and WF) leftovers.