Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

how about drinking?

Comments

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited March 2021

Kim - great idea for you mom and Dick to spend time on his birthday without putting her at risk - sounds like 2 teenagers!!!!

10 days till I get to put my arms around my DD#2!!! And 3 weeks till spring break and Passover - I was so stressed yesterday - sure hope it calms down. Not sleeping well the past couple nights.

Weather nice today and tomorrow, then it gets back to winter weather.

Have a great Monday.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited March 2021

Jazzy, I feel your sadness over losing your esthetician. I had a wonderful hair stylist/colorist who first had to sell her neighborhood salon (& yoga studio) and switch to one of the city's poshest & priciest salons...where parking was impossible and the only way in the door was up a steep outdoor flight of stairs. Then her parents (in their 90s) needed her, so she retired to FL. Ever since, it seems that every time I find a simpatico stylist, (s)he moves on or the salon goes belly-up.

Cami, they do grow up way too fast, don't they? Gordy is 36...and though he's an "older millennial," one medical journal article I read today defined "middle age" as starting at 35!

Lori, do you like ice cream sodas? A chocolate egg cream is pretty much an ice cream soda without the ice cream. (Making it witth chocolate milk misses the point, Kim--which is to have that dense and stable white froth topping the fizzy chocolatey goodness).

So how did it get the name "egg cream?" Well, decades ago I read an article in New York Magazine called "The Birth & Death of the True Egg Cream." When the drink was invented at an upscale ice cream parlor in 1890s NYC, it actually had cream and egg whites! (The cream was mixed with the seltzer & syrup, and beaten egg whites were spooned over the top). Needless to say, this took quite a bit of finesse and cost an arm and a leg--beyond the reach of most soda fountain operators. But a decade later, an entrprising teenage soda jerk found a way to "reverse" the flow of CO2 through the fountain's seltzer spigot and concentrate it so the "jet stream" was strong enough to froth whole milk. The result was a little less rich (but probably no longer a heart attack in a glass) yet delicious, resembled the real McCoy, and cost a whole lot less to make & buy because cream & eggs were expensive. (Not to mention soda fountain owners had less cream to whip to top their creatitons, and got stuck with a whole bunch of egg yolks...but the newly freed-up cream & yolks enabled them to make their own ice creams and thus have a "side hustle" revenue stream). The recipe has remained the same for nearly a century-and-a-quarter. But sadly, the soda jerks who knew how to make it properly have mostly gone to the Great Luncheonette in the Sky; and the hipsters in trendy Brooklyn 'hoods are clueless--they pump in the syrup first, mix it with the milk before pouring the selttzer, and even offer "artisanal" flavors. (Heresy, IMHO).

• chisandy
    edited March 2021

DsOTD: enjoying a 65-degree day out on the deck while watching the birds & squirrels and the planes heading to O'Hare, sipped an almondmilk cappuccino (using the Nespresso & Aeroccino) followed by 2 shots of traditionally-made espresso (1 regular, 1 decaf).

For those of you who want to ditch the dairy but love your lattes, I "took one for the team" and experimented with both the Aeroccino & the steam wand of the espresso machine. Oatmilk (Oatly Barista) froths beautifully with the steam wand--it's what coffeehouses use (and will satisfy my eco-correct friend who thinks nut milks, especially almond, are the work of a water-wasting Satan). But it's even carbier (9gm net carb/cup) than regular non-filtered whole milk (12 gm. net/cup, 6 gm. net for FairLife or Organic Valley ulttra-filtered. Califia's unsweetened version has less sugar content but doesn't froth as well and tastes "oaty").

I had read an article by 1st-Line Espresso touting the virtues of cashew milk--low-carb, and it supposedly provides a nice stable foam. Well, maybe the regular sweetened kind (4gm net carb/cup) does, but I went with Silk "unsweet" (1 gm net). Nope. Whether in the Aeroccino (any setting) or with the steam wand it makes great big unstable bubbles that separate into the thin hot liquid. (Works okay on cereal or for cooking).

The winner & still champ is Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla (refrigerator-case version only). With a little cream or half-&-half in the pitcher, plus a few drops of sugar-free vanilla syrup it froths nicely and tastily with the steam wand. But all by itself in the Aeroccino--latte or cappuccino setting--it froths to twice its volume of thick and stable foam that is almost like whipped cream and required a spoon to finish. (Hmmm....for St. Patrick's Day: with black coffee & a shot of Jameson muddled with brown monkfruit sweetener...).

DOTD with hot wings & celery dinner: Michelob Ultra and a lime wedge. So it's not zero-alcohol but it's only 2.5 net gm. of carbs. It worked fine to "tame the fuego." (Might try the low-carb version of Blue Moon next time).

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 945
    edited March 2021

Have had a busy couple of days but enjoyed reading the thread to catch up.

Cami welcome back. You did good on the new computer. It's always hard to get in the groove with a new one and also new phones.

Goldie i hope your treatment went well. I don't think I'm a youngun (ha!) But young enough at 61 to not qualify for a vaccine yet. I have an autoimmune disease that has been very quiet for about 13 years. I hope the vaccine does not rock that boat. I'm kind of hoping for the J&J "one shot" scenario and only have to go through whatever I'll go through once. So many unknowns. But glad more choices are available.

DOTD white wine mango sangria DH got at a local place. I made baked cod, seasoned potatoes and bean salad for dinner. Odd mixture but all good. 🍹

• chisandy
    edited March 2021

A rare third DOTD: Aperol Spritz (have bubbly & seltzer that were going flat).

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,908
    edited March 2021

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy Twofer Tuesday! Boy was yesterday busy at work. Maine has 2 pathways to getting COVID vaccines, each with different eligibility requirements, and now some places are working with school nurses to set up clinics just for educators and school staff. School nurses are up to our necks in tracking whose gotten vaccinated, who is eligible for what pathway, who has an appointment for vaccination on top of who has been tested and who is being followed as a potential close contact or who may have symptoms and needs to be quarantined and tested. Every day I thank God that I am working in a small school with manageable numbers of students and staff! Still, it's good to be able to set people up with appointments and start seeing the anxiety level start to decrease. I was telling Sadie about all the goings on last night and all the scrambling we did to get all the information together and sent out to the proper places. Her advice was to give myself a treat from the candy stash and eat it while rubbing her belly. So I did!

Karen--It will be good for Mom and Dick to spend some time together. I think they both need it, no matter how much Mom says they aren't a couple anymore! 10 days and counting to DD#2's visit, YEAH! Not that you will be counting or anything, right?

Chi--There is a whole culture around egg creams! Fascinating information. Someday I hope I will have the chance to try a real one.

Reader--Mango sangria sounds really good!

Gin Fizz cocktail in a Collins glass on a marble surface

Gin Fizz

Ingredients

• 2 ounces gin
    • 1 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
    • 3/4 ounce simple syrup
    • 1 egg white (about 1/2 ounce)
    • Club soda, to top (about 1 ounce)

Steps

1. Add the gin, lemon juice, simple syrup and egg white to a shaker and vigorously dry-shake (without ice) for about 15 seconds.
    2. Add 3 or 4 ice cubes and shake vigorously until well-chilled.
    3. Double-strain into a chilled Collins glass and top with club soda.

From <https://www.liquor.com/recipes/gin-fizz/>

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited March 2021

Morning gals... Talking about your facials.... Now don't laugh..... One day, years ago, I was working at the phone company, and thought, okay, I'll kill some time on my split-shift, and go have a facial at this place close to the phone company...

But I thought a facial was where they would show me how to put my make-up on! I mean how to do eyebrows, make-up, and all that kind of stuff.... But NOooooo! I sat there thinking, okay, wth??? When do I learn to put my damn make-up on?

So I think I must have sat there for HOURS!!! Hah! It's funny now, but just boring to an 18 year old.....

The gals on the switchboard just cracked up when I asked them if they ever had a facial! And I STILL wear make-up and do my face every morning... SillyHeart

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 581
    edited March 2021

Cami - it was so nice to see your post. It is hard being in a transition between one place and another. Hopefully, you will be completely settled in soon. It is hard when the kids grow up and as much as you are proud of the man Joey is becoming, you will miss having him around. That is the good part about technology - you can have face time conversations with him no matter where he ends up going.

Jazzy - so glad you got a facial, life is feels so much nicer when you get to do something nice for yourself. My daughter is an esthetician and she is so busy and booked months in advance, I never get a facial. I told her I would have to go to someone else. She will call me when she has a cancellation, but I am at work and can't just leave. After I retire maybe I can get in like that. A couple of times on her day off she will give me a facial, and that is really great because my 7-year-old granddaughter rubs my feet with lotion.

NM – I think we all have to face such new strange things with the COVID and being a nurse, you probably will have a lot of new things thrown at you to take care of. Sadie always has the best advice.

Reader – I agree, the mango sangria sounds good.

Goldie- You are going to have a busy week with all of the appointments you have. Dr. appts and just running errands in general really can tire you out. Of course, taking care of your husband can really tire you out.

Gotta go for now, will pop back in later.

• karen1956
    edited March 2021

Kim - counting days - me never!!!Loopy. Thankfully the day she arrives is one of my remote days. I might not be able to make it to the airport, but I'll be waiting at the house instead of waiting till after work.

• nativemainer
    edited March 2021

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy Hump Day! It took some doing yesterday but I managed to help get all but 2 of my teachers/staff who want COVID vaccines set up with an appointment, and even helped get a couple spouses covered, as well. Now to get those last 2 set up and a lot of tension and anxiety about COVID will calm down, I think. It's been total chaos at times, with info going from "we don't prioritize education staff" to "we're doing a focused clinic, we need the name, date of birth, phone number and email address of education staff 60 and over who want the vaccine sent to us on this form in the next 4 hours."Anyway, the nursing team got a lot done yesterday!Even Sadie was impressed, sort of. Her look said "That's what you nurse types do. Now rub my belly." Gotta love the doggo that keeps me humble!

Chevy--Good for you for keeping your morning routine going! I bet that was both boring and then embarrassing for 18 year old you!

Misty--Wow, the facial plus foot rub must feel fantastic! You are right, there is always something new coming my way and I always seem to manage to adapt. COVID just seems to be moving even faster than the usual rate of change. But, there ishope for the future with the vaccine situation improving and things opening up again.

Karen--I wish you could have DD's arrival day off so you could meet her at the airport, but being at home is better than being at work!

Wednesday – Double-checked Recipe and Cocktail Photo

Wednesday

Homemade spiced vodka 1.5oz

Honey syrup 0.5oz

Pomegranate juice 0.35oz

Orange juice 1.75oz

Orange 1oz

Passion fruit 1.5oz

Mint 0.03oz

Cloves 0.03oz

Star anise 0.06oz

Ground cinnamon 0.03oz

Ground ginger 0.03oz

Ginger root 0.35oz

Crushed ice 7oz

Ice cubes 7oz

• Fill a highball glass to the top with crushed ice
    • Place the pulp of a passionfruit half and squeeze 0.15 oz of ginger root juice into a shaker
    • Pour in 1.75 oz of orange juice, 0.5 oz of honey syrup and 1.5 oz of homemade spiced vodka
    • Add 1 clove, 1 star anise, a pinch of ground cinnamon and ground ginger into a shaker
    • Fill the shaker with ice cubes and shake
    • Finely strain into the highball glass
    • Add 0.35 oz of pomegranate juice
    • Top up with crushed ice
    • Garnish with an orange wheel, a star anise and a mint sprig

From <https://us.inshaker.com/cocktails/469-wednesday>

• JCSLibrarian
    JCSLibrarian Member Posts: 548
    edited March 2021

Sad day today. A dear friend has passed away from lung cancer. She was such a nice person. She was widowed young with three girls. She raised them well and kept her head on straight. She was so very nice to me when I moved here and never stopped being a friend. I will miss her.

My boys came over for dinner last night. DIL wasn’t feeling well so stayed home and enjoyed the quiet. I thoroughly enjoyed visiting with them. They are funny, talkative and full of information. Younger DS is going back to work after avoiding Covid again! Older DS is starting discussions about going back to the office instead of working remotely. Life is changing again.

Today is another cleaning day. Will finish up the living and dining rooms. I got the windows done yesterday and today will work on the wooden furniture. Friday DH and I hope to drive to a town south of here about two hours. There is a park with hiking trails close by. Hopefully we can explore the town, take a hike and enjoy being somewhere else for a bit. That is all based on whether or not he totally makes me loose my mind with his crazy biases.

Take care and find your happiness!

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,972
    edited March 2021

JCS- I am sorry about the loss of your friend to cancer. Sending much love Heart

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited March 2021

JCS, I hear ya about being more energtic 20 yrs ago. But I also find that some things I just can't do anymore, don't have the strength. So very sorry for the loss of your friend. I guess that's just something we have to deal with as we get older, more people in our lives dieing.

Jazzy, nice that your esthetician was able to fit you in before she leaves. Weather here has been nice as well, but we know how it can change, flopping from the 70's to below freezing.

NM, what soup did you get at OG. Glad your mom said no to the party, a car visit will work just fine. I don't understand these people that don't want to mask and don't mind putting others at risk! LOVE Sadie's advice for you, too cute. What an interesting cocktail, so many ingredients, but healthy ones!

Karen, how long will your DD be there.

Sandy, ice cream sodas are ok, I prefer shakes tho. How funny those that made them were called "jerks". Never heard that before.

Reader, we are close in age, I'm a tad older. I reckon I'm not considered a youngin, but def. refuse to say I'm old! I'm 62 until August, but feel like I should still be in my 40's!

ED, kudos to you for you doing hair and make up every day. I find myself just doing make up if I have to go out, which isn't often.

Misty, I'm jealous of the facial and foot rub.

Treatment went fine. DH's appt is tomorrow. I sure hope this doctor can help. DH is worse than before his back surgery and the accident. Just don't know how long I can deal with it, especially when we start getting busy. Defrosting my upright freezer, more so cuz it needs to be organized! But I so wish I had one that didn't need defrosting.

• karen1956
    edited March 2021

JCS-my condolences on the loss of your friend.

Lori - 2 1/2 weeks. She celebrated her birthday early today with 2 of her best friends - she sent me a picture of her and the birthday cookie which she baked!!! She reminded me early this morning by asking me to make her a b'day cookie - she wants peanut butter chocolate chip - I would have forgotten. So Sunday will be a baking day and putting everything in the freezer. Then I need to clean my ovens to get ready for Passover.

Up to 2 feet of snow is predicted for this week-end. Wet heavy snow. The last snow storm like this was March 2003. The interim superintendent sent out an email with the new snow day policy for the rest of the year. If its just one day we get a snow day - if it looks like multiple days, the first day is snow day then move to remote learning. He will notify schools the day before to have students take their chrome books home. So I'm guessing Friday such an email will go out.

Chevy - stay safe with the snow - hope your neighbors or kids can help you out with shoveling etc.

Loooong day at work today - busy beyond busy - and I'm spent.

Lori - I have a small upright freezer that I defrost once a year - I turn it off and let the ice melt off of it and then wipe it out. I can do that as it is in the furnace room on cement floor.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,972
    edited March 2021

• nativemainer
    edited March 2021

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy Thirsty Thursday! Yesterday was a 2 adult beverage day at work. Two positive COVID tests, one in the sister school to mine. So I went over there along with one of the other nurses to do the whole reporting, contact tracing, contact notification, parental notifications, and getting the sister school closed and the kids out and home. It's quite the process. Glad to have been through it as a helper, today I am going to gather some information to put in my COVID response folder to have ready. Who've thought the state CDC would want to know the dimensions of the cafeteria? But they do! Even Sadie was impressed with my tale of the work day last night!

Librarian--I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I'm sure you will miss her every day. Glad you had a nice dinner with the boys. It does seem like life is beginning to change, again, doesn't it? What kind of crazy biases does DH have?

Morning, Jazzy

Goldie--I get the chicken and gnocchi soup. I love that soup!

Karen--Yikes, 2 feet of the heavy wet snow stuff is nasty. I hope the prediction is wrong, but glad the school has a plan.

Jazzy--YUM!!!!!

• Chevyboy
    edited March 2021

Morning girls! YES Karen! Can you believe this? I just hope we don't lose power, etc! I have oil lamps from years ago, AND a kerosene heater that we can use....

I'm so happy for the rain/snow though! Everything is so DRY in this state! Been working in my gardens when it is nice out... cleaning it up, raking, and painting old pots, etc! Must be Spring Fever, and then comes the snow, Hah!

I'm sorry Librarian.... so hard when we lose someone we really care about... It just makes your heart hurt.

Jazzy! That drink sounds so good! I can do that with my new Magic Bullet, or whatever it is. Sheri had one sent to me, so her Dad would start eating better... Hah! He will TASTE what I whip up, but doesn't go for "good food" too much.

I'm making a spinach, pineapple, vanilla protein powder, and Almond milk smoothie this morning.... with some Aloe-Vera juice. I kind of like them sweeter, like with orange-juice.... I'm still experimenting.

I COULD just give it up & make a chocolate coke, Hah!

• karen1956
    edited March 2021

Chevy - waiting to hear the weather report this morning. We have candle and flash lights. Hoping we don't loose power. I have a full freezer of meat and poultry due to Passover is just over 2 weeks. We lost power in the spring a year or so ago due to a wind storm and downed wires that broke tree limbs.

9News still saying 10-20 inches but if we get rain Sunday instead of snow, will be less. Snow through Tuesday but not as heavy as the week-end.

Kim, the last snow most other school districts called a snow day, but my district went to remote learning. A 5th grade student made a u-tube video that went viral and he went on the local news so thankfully the district listened.

One year ago today, my husband was given a new leash on life - quintuple by pass surgery - we are calling it his second birthday - happy 1st birthday to my DH. As hard as it was to call the kids to tell them about the surgery it was so much better than the alternative. Some of you may remember that all 7 arteries were clogged 90-95% and he had a major clot on the "widow maker". He had only been feeling badly since Thursday and had stress test/cardiac catheter on Monday and immediately admitted to the hospital and started on Heparin. So thankful.

Busy day of meetings in the morning and interviews in the afternoons. A full 8 hour day on the computer zoom or google meets!!

Have a great day.

• Chevyboy
    edited March 2021

Thinking of you Karen.... I know what you mean... My Husband is on his third pace-maker. He was diagnosed with "Heart Block" over 20 years ago... And he is physically doing very good, considering we are not what you would call young... Hah!

I found this on a friends FB page, and it meant so much to me........

After my Grandma had a heart-attack, they said she has to go to Assisted Living for awhile... but THAT event in her life was the catalyst that started her dementia... She never could return "home" again. I tried so hard to help her "remember" things, and get her mind straight....I talked to countless people asking how I could help her! I made her a scrap-book, thinking if I showed her pictures of her "kids" or her home, or even Grandpa and her life, she would "remember".... But it doesn't work that way!

I have learned so much from Kim, and going through this, that we have to "accept some things we cannot change".. If you know the Glenn Campbell story, you will understand.

But I thank God for this day, and pray for a million more tomorrow's.... no matter what.!

May be an image of text

• chisandy
    edited March 2021

JCS, so sorry for the loss of your friend. May her memory be for a blessing.

On the DOTD front, Wed's drinks were Pierre Delize Brut Rosé (served not in a flute but an old-school "coupe" glass) and then an Argentine Malbec--the "house red" of the steakhouse--Artango--where we had a socially-distanced dinner.

Last night was the online Clif Family Winery tasting the kids bought me for my birthday (which was back in January but we wanted to pick a date when we were all available & at least Bob & I were fully-vaxxed). Leslie begged off because she had a very long workday on Zoom and was Zoomed-out, plus an early morning today. She's still teaching from home. So it was the three of us (Bob, Gordy & me) with the wine educator in the Napa Valley (actually, St. Helena).

So the DsOTD were all Clif wines: 2019 Rte. Blanc, a Sauv. Blanc made in a NZ style (85% stainless-steel-fermented, 15% "neutral" French oak) that had a citrus-y rather than eucalyptus (aka "pipi du chat") bouquet characteristic of Napa and Bordeaux. Next was a 2018 "Gary's Improv" Zinfandel, from a neighboring vineyard high on Howell Mt. Finally, 2018 Petite Sirah--good viscocity & acidity softening its tannins. Suggested pairings (provided with the wines) were maple-curry peanuts & cashews with the white; Spanish smoked pimenton almonds with the Zin (echoing a slight smokiness in the wine--a characteristic of the grape, not from the wildfires); and a "solar" cacao honey with the Petite Sirah. We spread it on whole wheat "biscuits," reminiscent of shortbread. I also brought out some truffle honey, which also worked nicely.

The "Clif" name is the same as the protein bars--named after the founder's dad.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,310
    edited March 2021

Chevy - that is wonderful advice. Thanks for posting.

• karen1956
    edited March 2021

Chevy - thanks for sharing - it is beautiful. Stay safe with the impending snow storm

• nativemainer
    edited March 2021

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy TGIF day! I am looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow, and not looking forward to the time change. Particularly since I have a couple of early start days at work next week. Oh well, such is life, right? The kiddos are being a bit crazy, but it was just a year ago that their lives got turned upside down, literally overnight. The staff is a bit jittery too, between the anniversary and all the hassle surrounding getting COVID vaccines. At least the sun is shining, the snow is melting and spring allergies are starting up, all hopeful signs!

Sadie says Woof to everyone!

Chevy--sounds like you are in for quite the storm! I hope it's not as bad as predicted. Interesting sounding smoothie. I've tried some things with Aloe-Vera juice and can't say as I care for that ingredient much. The rest, however, sound very good!

Karen--I do remember the time with DHs surgery, that was so scary. So glad it turned out so well. Happy Re-Birthday to your DH! There's been talk about snow days vs remote learning days around here, too. It's hard in a district where there are 7 schools each doing something a little bit different as far as remote vs in person learning. I remember one day being declared a snow day for everyone, even the 100% remote students, to give everyone a break.

Chi--sounds like a lot of goodies to taste and nibble!

Morning, Minus!

Blue Little Hugs Barrel Cocktail recipe main photo

Blue Little Hugs Barrel Cocktail

Ingredients

10 servings

1. 6 oz vodka
    2. 6 oz coconut rum
    3. 4 oz peach schnapps
    4. 4 oz UV Blue vodka
    5. 2 liter Sprite
    6. 1/4 watemelon

Steps

1. Add all alcohol to a jug and stir.
    2. Add sprite and gently sir.
    3. Cube watermelon and add to the drink with 1/4 cup watermelon juice.
    4. Chill pitcher.
    5. Pour into a glass and add cubes of watermelon to garnish.

From <https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/344679-blue-little-hugs-barrel-cocktail>

• karen1956
    edited March 2021

Listening to the forecast for the storm - heavy snow Saturday and Sunday 10-20" in the metro area and more for the foothills - forecast has been pretty consistent all week - last night heard 12-24 and now 10-20. Only profession can be so inconsistent. Time will tell what we actually get.

Not looking forward to the time change. Time to pick either DST or ST and stay with it all year. The time change, both fall ad spring messes with my body for 1-2 weeks and it gets harder the older I get.

Stay safe and stay warm. Happy Friday.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited March 2021

Karen, that's cute that your DD wants cookies and I'm sure you are more than happy to make some. 2' of snow, yikes. Stay safe. My freezer needs it about 3 times a year, but more so it ends up being a mess and I can't find anything. Gosh a year already for your DH, time goes by so fast. Glad he is still here with you.

Jazzy, that pina colada shake, I could totally have one of those!

NM, dimensions of the cafeteria? Things that make ya go "Hmmmmmm". I made a copy cat version of their Chicken Gnocci. It was pretty good, if I do say so myself. I did not make the gnocci tho. Allergies here are in full SPRING.

Chevy, you be safe too. I hope you don't lose power or heat either. How'd your smoothie turn out? That was sweet of you to make grandma a scrap book. Sorry it didn't help tho.

Saw the neurologist yesterday, was our last hope. She can't figure him out either and now referring him to yet another specialist, this time a muscular/neuro!

• Chevyboy
    edited March 2021

Hey gals... Kim, no, I don't care for the taste of Aloe Vera either, and I don't drink it plain... But added to some sweet juice, helps it taste better.

You know, I had so much stomach trouble years ago... I mentioned this to a gal at work, and she said "Oh just go get you some Aloe Vera juice/drink, and drink it a couple times a day with juice or tea, and your stomach trouble will quit! I also had an appointment for a scope test from a gastro doctor scheduled that coming week...Well, I bought it on the way home... fixed me up some smoothies with that, orange juice, and a little flavored cream, and it was GOOD! Drank it that night, then the next morning, and I DIDN'T GET THOSE CRAMPS THAT MORNING! Drank it twice more that day, and my stomach, or whatever trouble was gone! So it's worth a try! But Walmart has a gallon jug of flavored, or unflavored for about 7$ and that is what I buy!

We are having major problems with our house, draining EVERYthing!!! Plumber, 3 times, Trench dug 10 feet long by 6 feet deep out back! New PVC lines, but NO, that didn't help it drain!!! NOW they have to close the alley next week, dig IN the alley to main sewer line, and replace the clay-pipe from the edge of our property to the main line!!!! DAMN!!

But our house was built in 1886... and we are lucky we have never had any major problems since we moved in in 1964!

Oh well... Have to do it... At least we can use minimal amount of water until next Thursday, right?

• chisandy
    edited March 2021

Karen, Chevy, stay warm & safe indoors--and I hope you have some enterprising young'uns nearby with shovels & snowblowers. At least your state didn't decide to go off the national grid, so I hope you don't lose power. Heaven forfend you do, know that snowbanks make decent temporary fridges. (Used to be how I chilled bubbles for New Year's Eve). You can also partly fill ice chests with snow and put your frozen stuff into them, then add more snow and keep the lid closed for the duration.

Last night Bob came home late for dinner, so I pan-seared sea bass and we drank more of that Clif Family Rte Blanc. (Ordered a case with our one-time 20% discount--we are well-stocked with reds & bubbles but tend to run out of white wines, especially during Lent when I'm cooking fish for Bob, and then when the weather gets warmer. Also a couple bottles of Grenache rosé and one each of Gewurztraminer & Viognier). Unfortunately, I stayed up past 4am trying to air the place out from the fish-stink before giving up. Slept in.

Bob got home extremely early this afternoon and wanted to dine out at a Lettuce Entertain You restaurant because he had birthday dining points about to expire and he was jonesing for seafood paella. We hadn't had tapas in ages so we went to Ba-Ba-Ree-Ba. DOTD was rose sangria and a flute of Petit Albet Brut Rosé 2017.

• nativemainer
    edited March 2021

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy Saturday! I woke up to a surprise dusting of snow this ayem! Just a coating, very fluffy and pretty. But it's time for snow to GO AWAY! Spring is almost here!

Karen--I'm with you, time to pick a time and stick with it. WE live in a global economy, we adapt to international times for business and school and lots of other things, so whatever we change the clocks for can't have that big an impact. The change is getting harder and harder to adapt to every year. Stay warm and safe in the storm!

Goldie--yeah, I'm still trying to figure out why the CDC wants the cafeteria/gym dimensions. I can understand them wanting to know who sits within 12 feet of student, and I thank God schools went to assigned seating at lunch time, so I've got that schematic copied and tucked into my COVID response folder. I'm still praying for no positive cases in my school, but the noose is getting tighter and tighter and I'm afraid it's just a matter of time now. Care to share the Chicken & Gnocchi recipe? Making it at home has got to be cheaper than the take out, and something I could justify doing more than once every few months! Boy, your DH really is a mystery. I hope someone finds something, just so the questions can be answered!

Chevy--wow, sounds like the Aloe Vera juice works like magic for you! Hmm, I wonder if it would do anything for heart burn? I suppose I could try it mixed with something.

Chi--"Lettuce Entertain You"? What a wonderful name for a restaurant!

Tick of the Clock - Imbibe Magazine>

Tick of the Clock

Instructions

Shake with ice and strain into ice-filled short glass. Slap a sprig of mint between your palms to release the fragrant oils, and tuck it into the edge of the glass.

From <https://cocktailpartyapp.com/drinks/tick-of-the-clock/>

• JCSLibrarian
    JCSLibrarian Member Posts: 548
    edited March 2021

Good morning! Went on a long drive and hike yesterday. It was very relaxing as my DH did not listen to talk radio and we were able to enjoy the countryside. We drove through several small towns on our way. The poverty and despair was strong. Not sure any of it was caused by COVID-19. The South Carolina low country has been in a desperate situation for years. The tax base is gone and I am not at all sure how they will get that back. Tourism is not the answer, but manufacturing is not coming back.

My newest concern is that my oldest DS and his wife have been ordered back to the office. They adopted this dog mid-pandemic. They asked if I would ‘dog-sit’ for a while. I technically said yes if they would bring a bed and some toys. I said, “You thought it would be cheaper to have a dog!” My DIL got VERY annoyed and said they would find something else. She can be very prickly and can be upset without my knowledge. Was that comment snarky?

Baylor lost their playoff game last night. DH and I are enjoying Broadchurch on Netflix. I get my hair cut next week. Gotta go walk and get my day started. Will try to make steak tacos for dinner. What fun!

Take care!

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,714
    edited March 2021

Hi all, been reading but not posting a lot. Anyone know if Cami is doing ok? I know she’s had a really tough loss, just hope she’s managing alright.

DOTD is a kettle one and pink lemonade with a little lime, which is a great companion to a snack platter. It’s sunny and about 80 degrees in Houston and my mood is full blown spring minded today.