Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

how about drinking?

Comments

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,908
    edited July 2021

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy Monday Monkey Day! Mom and I had a nice lunch and visit yesterday. It rained most of the day, but it was the steady, soaking rain that we really kind of need, not the downpours that just run off and create havoc. It's funny how a dog that loves water so much is so reluctant to go out and piddle in the rain!

Goldie--Mom would not be able to help Dick get up if he fell, she hasn't the strength or the balance. Most of the time when she takes him out they stay in the car and visit with people in the driveway. If he does get out, it's at a restaurant or someplace where there are people around. I've told her about calling 911 for lift assist, too, but I'm not sure she'd remember that. I saw the wash pics you posted on FB, pretty impressive to imagine that filled with fast running water! That's one muddy go-buggy!

Jazzy--Wow, ending up in that water would not be a good thing at all! Pretty impressive lightning strike catch, too! Crazy stuff!

Flood Waters

1 shot(s) Amaretto

1 shot(s) Bailey's Irish Cream

1/2 shot(s) Chocolate Vodka

3 shot(s) Half-and-half

Special instructions:

Shake with ice and strain into martini glass, rimmed with chocolate milk mix. Top with chocolate shavings.

From <http://www.bardude.com/drink/Flood+Waters>

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited July 2021

We have 2 people missing so far that I know of. A teen girl that got caught and then a 4 year little girl, family was in the wash looking for frogs when the water came in and swept the little girl away. Here is a video, another facebook one, our friends in Moab, this is down the street from them. They had a huge fire there just a couple months ago, if that long. I can't believe how it pushes the logs through like toothpicks!

Facebook

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited July 2021

See the source image

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,972
    edited July 2021

Hi ladies- busy day going on but just checking in at my lunch time. Cleaning company has come and gone. We found out over the weekend back to the office next Monday (sob). Going in Wed to get oriented to a new work area. Yet another thing to adjust to......

Goldie- I could not see the video but so sad to hear about the young people who got washed down by the floods out your way. How heart breaking. It rained a bit here last night as I was going to bed, which was nice.

I woke up way to early and now my butt is dragging.....

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,067
    edited July 2021

goldie: I will take a photo of the fountain. It is beautiful. Me? Meh. Not so much :-) I need a better back drop than my 1950's formica kitchen counter and the kitchen wall that is desperately overdue for painting. Maybe I could just add a sheet or pillowcase --- as a backdrop. I never use the sugar cube as modern absinthe isn't as bitter. I just like the look of the spoons. I still have a bit of Pacifica absinthe (distilled in Oregon) Whereas Meadows of Love has a flowery taste that I really like, Pacifica is slightly spicy, almost peppery finish. It is quite good as well, just different.

NativeMainer: I had a certificate in aromatherapy which meant I could treat family and friends but not hang out a shingle. Most essential oils aren't meant to be consumed so be careful. You shouldn't even use most of them neat - dilute with jojoba oil, avocado oil etc. for use on your skin as massage oils or perfumes. Maybe invest in the many bitters that are available. I suppose the few drops you use don't present a health hazard.

JazzyGirl: I hear steel drums and just have to get up and shake my booty.

• goldie0827
    edited July 2021

NM, that is sweet that mom and Dick go visiting and just visit in the driveway. There is no way I can get my DH up either, he did fall that one night not long ago. Thank goodness he was able to get himself up. Indeed funny that Silly Sadie loves the water but doesn't like to piddle in the rain!

Jazzy, the way this pandemic is going, you may not be in the office for long! I put the video on my FB as well, can you see it there?

Elderberry, 1950's kitchen? Sounds cool to me! But a pillow case would work too. No worries about posting a pic of you, I just like to put a face to a name, that's all.

Gotta run out for groceries today, nurse will be here tomorrow to put in a new IV for DH and we start meds again. My step daughter sent me a message about a movie with a gal with ALS, watched that yesterday while DH was napping. Was sad of couse, but pretty good. It was You're Not You. The 4 year old I mentioned earlier, they found her and of course she was not alive.

DOTD: Wine Floats

Know we have many wine drinkers here and I saw these the other day, and of course thought of US! NM, feel free to add another DOTD, we can have a 2fer day!

Wine Floats

• nativemainer
    edited July 2021

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Twofer Tuesday! The weather has gotten warm and muggy again here, although it's pretty comfortable this ayem. Air quality is in the basement with particulate counts through the roof. Makes for pretty sunrises and sunsets, though. Even Sadie slowed down a bit yesterday and spent most of the day lying in front of the fan.

Goldie--I know the power of fast moving water, that poor child didn't stand a chance!

Cammy Cat--Good Morning!

Jazzy--sorry about the butt dragging! I'm headed for that problem if I don't stop the drift toward staying up later and sleeping in longer!

Elderberry--Hmm, I hadn't thought about essential oils not being for consumption. I'll look into getting the bitters, I didn't know they came in different flavors. I did know not to use the oils on skin without diluting with a carrier oil.

Goldie--being a water dog that doesn't like rain is only one of the reasons she's SILLY Sadie! Did you ever find out why DH isn't getting a PICC or a port? Praying this round of treatments goes smoothly and without problems. I haven't tried a wine float yet, working up the courage to try one. Looks yummy!

Here's a second Float for the twofer DOTD:

View of two Adult Root Beer Floats

Adult Root Beer Float

Ingredients

• 4 ounces vanilla ice cream
    • 2 ounces vanilla vodka recommended: Smirnoff
    • 8 ounces root beer recommended: IBC

Instructions

• Place 2-3 scoops of vanilla ice cream into a glass.
    • Fill halfway up with root beer.
    • Pour 1 shot of vanilla vodka (about 1.5 ounces) and then top with root beer to fill to the top of the glass.

From <https://www.thecookierookie.com/adult-root-beer-float/>

• camillegal
    edited July 2021

See the source image

• camillegal
    edited July 2021

MORNIN

LORI MY KEYS IRK BETTERON CPS. THATFLOAT DRINK LOOKS FANTASTIC I WISH I DRANK. YOU GALS GET THE BEST DRINKS. I HARDLY EVER WATCH THE NEWS AND REALLY NEVER KNEW HOW HORRIBLE ALL THE RAIN THAT DOES SO MUCH DAMAGE AND DEATH ITT ALL CAUSES. BETWEEN THE FIRES AND RAIN IT REALLY SCARY JUST HEARING ABOUT IT..

OK DID ANYONE EVEN DOUBT KIM WOULD KNOCK THOSE TESTS OUT OF THE PARK.LOL OH KIM U R SO FUNNY. BEING SADIE'S MOMMY U HAVE TO BE SHARP.

WHAT A HOT HOT WEEKEND...I ENDED UP NOT GOING TO MY NIECE'S HOUSE BUT LESLIE WENT MARTY STAYED HOME HE DIDN'T FEEL GOOD FROM BEING OUT WORKING IN THE SUN. BY MISTAKE I CALLED 911 AND DIDN'T KNOW AND SHE HEARD SCREAMING FROM A MOVIE I WAS WATCHING AND THEN THE POUNDED CAME ON THE DOOR 3 POLICE CARS 5 COPS IN WAIT. MRTY LET THEM IN I HEARD ALL THE COMMOTION AND WALKED OUT OF MY BEDROOM <REMEMBER I STILL HAVE THE BRUISED EGG PLUS BOTH MY ARMS AR SUPER BRUISED AND MARTY AND I ARE TRYING TO TELL THEM HE NEVER TOUCHES ME OH BOY . AFTER A WHILE THEY DID BELIEVE ME OF ALL TIMES TO BE ALL BEATEN UP LOOKING. AND I STARTED TO LAUGH AND MART WAS NOT LOLING. HE THOUGHT FOR SURE HANDCUFFS WERE GOING ON HIM. I JUST WANTED A QUIET SAT. NIGHT CUZ I DIDN'T FEEL WELL WELL THAT WAS IT.

HAVE A GOOD DAY EVERYONE.

LUBS U ALL

• jazzygirl
    edited July 2021

Oh Cami, you and the emergency responders. Are you bruises healing friend?

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 581
    edited July 2021

Cami - you need to write a book about your adventures. The most unbelievable things happen to you. "Cami's Capers"

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited July 2021

OMG Cam! I thought I told you, there are better ways to get those good looking Paramedics out to your house! We just can't alarm them like that! Did you have your French Maid's costume on? Like before?

When you saw them, you should have just put your hand up to your forehead, and said, "oh no, I feel faint" and then they would lift you up, and carry you to the nearest sit-down place!

I had to have them out day before yesterday.... DH fell on the floor, coming back from the bathroom! He yelled, and I ran in to him, and we slowly got him back up, and onto the bed! MAN I was scared!!! I sat beside him for awhile, and just reassured him, and told him, "no, I will not leave you, I will stay right here, and I started to act all normal, although I thought "NOW WHAT?"

So I just said "Honey, I'll just call "ask a nurse" and see what she says about that huge scraped lump on your forehead, and ask her what I should do!" He went for that!

This was at 3 37 a/m! She talked, and could hear HIM talking, and finally said I think he should be seen! So I said "Honey, I don't think we can get you out to the car, open that garage door, and into the car!"

I said "I'll just call the paramedics, and they will come look at you... and he agreed!!! Thinking he could stay right there!

Within 5 minutes they were there, and I had asked the gal to please not have the sirens on because he has dementia... So these 50 (almost) damn good looking men came in our house! We all talked together, and they said "the ambulance is on the way"...! His forehead was so swollen! His knee, and elbow were also bruised!

So ambulance came,,,, And even one of the firemen came to help me open the garage door, so I could get my car out! George was talking okay to them! And agreed he would go with them! I walked out to the ambulance with them, and the gal sat right there with him! He didn't seem afraid anymore!

I hurried & put my face on, did my hair, and ran to the hospital!

Anyway, I got there pretty quick, waited with him for a couple hours, and asked them "Don't you guys have room service, and where are the Margarita's?" So this one gal was really fun, and that helped! He has a UTI !!!! That has a lot to do with his confusion, weakness, pain, etc!!! All the other tests and scans came out normal!

But he would not go see our Doc that I had made last week! I had to cancel our appt. , because he refused to go see her! So the angels were looking out for us! Now I just have to make sure he takes those pills!

You know gals, I am so lucky to have lived this long, and still be with the guy I married almost 64 years ago! Come hell or high-water, we are in this together.... We can DO this!!!

I'll be 84 Saturday, and just thank God for today, and pray for a million more tomorrows.

• nativemainer
    edited July 2021

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy Hump Day! One week to flying to NC! Starting to get stuff packed and ready. Sadie has noticed the packing work and has an idea something is going on. Every time I go to the basement/garage for something she is right there wanting to go with me. Going to have to take her out for a ride or swim this peeyem.

Cammy-Cat--it's weird that your keyboard works better on caps, but whatever works, works! Too funny about the 911 call, although it probably wasn't very funny at the time! Not the quiet time you and Marty were hoping for, I'm sure.

Morning, Jazzy, Misty!

Chevy--that was quite the adventure! Calling the "ask-a-nurse" line was sheer genius. I hope he's doing better.

911 Cocktail

1/3 oz of goldschlager cinnamon schnapps

1/3 oz of aftershock cool citrus mint schnapps

1/3 oz of firewater cinnamon schnapps

Add to a shot glass, and shoot.

From <https://www.cocktailbuilder.com/recipe/911>

• Chevyboy
    edited July 2021

Thanks Kim! He's just really "sore" this morning.... His knee, elbow, where he fell, but at least not his forehead... It's looking a little better.... Just trying to get him to DRINK is an on-going battle! Maybe he will just stay "down" today a little more!

• goldie0827
    edited July 2021

NM, since I'm not much of a wine drinker, I'll have the Tenders make me one of your Root Beer Floats! Don't think I want a beer float, lol! I did not find out why DH isn't getting a PICC, he says he doesn't care and isn't concerned about it, so I guess I shouldn't be either. Will Sadie be upset at boarding, or does she like it there?

Cami, I did not think for a second that NM wouldn't get a good score on her presentation. OMG, I would not be laughiing either if I were Marty. Oh dear, what a story. Where was Joey? Did he go to the party? Did Lou go?

Misty, love the book title, Cami's Capers! You have no idea, since you are relatively new year.

Oh ED, you too with George? I'm glad he agreed to go and glad he was not hurt too badly. Funny you had to do your hair and make up. You are so right when you call for help. Had to do that a few times for my mom. They send the firetrucks, police cars, ambulance and yes 10 or so hunks all piling in the house. And also the same with my mom and UTI, the cause all kinds of issues, physically and mentally.

We will be heading down to Phoenix in a few days, both my step DD's will be in town as their maternal grandfather passed yesterday. DH is wanting to go out to eat and with the way things are going with this virus, I'm not willing. I know his oldest won't either. Hardly anyone wears a mask anymore, at least up here where I live. Nurse will be here around noon today and bringing a nurse resident with her.

• jazzygirl
    edited July 2021

Chevy- I am glad they found your DHs UTI before it went septic. So sorry to hear of the troubles this week friend

• Chevyboy
    edited July 2021

Thanks Lori & Jazzy.... Yep, kind of hard dealing with his UTI, and trying to get him to DRINK all the liquids he is supposed to! Daughters brought over Pedialyte, Gatorade, but trying to get him to actually drink more than a couple sips is almost impossible! We mix it with water, and even try filling his ice-cold cup with everything, and he drinks what he wants, when he wants. The nurse told him to drink at LEAST 5 GLASSES of water a day! But he complains about having to get up at night! Oh well! It's like an on-going battle, just trying to get him to help take care of himself.... a little.

Maybe I could just turn the hose on him? And maybe the water would sink in?

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,067
    edited July 2021

goldie: I am actually quite presentable, I just hate having my picture taken. No matter what, I always end up with some weird expression - ha ha. Our house was built circa 1929. The kitchen was renovated somewhere in the 1950's. We have reno'd the bathroom twice since living here. It is the size of a shoebox but it is functional for the two of us.

cami: what a story. Perfect for a sit-com!!

chevyboy: In case I don't return before the weekend I want to wish you a very happy 84!! My DH and I will mark 50 years together in November. I am so lucky to have found a man to hitchhike with on this highway of life.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited July 2021

Hi, everyone---no, I didn't drop off the face of the earth. Just been letting life happen all around me. Pet stuff, home stuff, med stuff, other websites...and Happy keeps interfering with my typing on this laptop...

Beav, glad your son's doing well and hope the scan bears that out. And Chevy, happy early birthday--what an adventure with your DH. Lori, Jazzy, we've had heavy rains but nothing like your raging flooded arroyos. (Though after midnight tonight we're in the "enhanced risk" area for severe storms--mostly high winds & heavy rain again. Not gonna be an easy sleep by any means, expecting the phones to blow up with emergency warnings).

Had a great time in NYC with my sis. Had to wait 2.5 hrs. in line for Colbert before they finally let us in to go to the bathroom and then another hour before we were seated. (My feet were fine, my upper back not so much). The warmup comic was hilarious, Jon Batiste did a couple of numbers (on a melodica and then his current hit on piano). Then Colbert came out for audience Q&A. He was great, Joy Reid was very smooth & incisive. But the musical guest, Alessia Cara, never showed up. They thought she'd be live in-studio, so her fan club got VIP seats in the audience. But before he came out, he learned she'd be performing "from Niagara Falls," so that's how he mentioned her in the "teaser." Then during the commercial break a staffer came out with a clipboard and talked to Colbert, who did not look happy. When the break was over, he held up her album and said "and now from Niagara Falls, Alessia Cara." Then as soon as the cameras were off, the monitors went dark--she wasn't even doing a live remote, but instead just sent in a video! The video wasn't shown in the studio--they cut straight to the ending. If anyone was angrier than Colbert, it had to be her fan club, who didn't even get to see their idol on studio monitors. We got out 45 minutes early.

Went to Gallagher's steakhouse next to our hotel, and as DsOTD (not counting the bubbly after breakfast at ORD) had Laurent Perrier champagne with seafood apps and Seghesio Zinfandel with the steak. Next day we ate steakhouse leftovers (with our hands) for breakfast and took a walk down to Times Sq. for (mea culpa, mea maxima culpa) the world's largest Krispy Kreme. Yeah, I indulged--it was free (with proof of vax), I was on vacation and no idea when the next travel opportunity would present itself.

The hotel was bizarre. Full of millennials (the word "Social" in the name should've been a dead giveaway, along with the foosball table in the lobby), but also foreign visitors from countries where vaccination rates are low-to-nonexistent. And plenty of American families--both parents and non-toddler kids not wearing masks. Sure sign that the parents were not likely vaxed. We had to keep waiting to have an elevator to ourselves.

So when I got back to LGA, I continued to be amazed by the new Terminal B. There's a fountain in the center that does light-and-water shows every 15 minutes. Flight was uneventful though full, everyone wore their masks with no complaints. But because it was so full and I was in the next-to-last boarding group, I had to gate-check my rollaboard--and when we landed I learned it wasn't at the gste for pickup: it had been sent to baggage claim. Half-hour wait till the belt began to move, ten more minutes before it came. Briefly considered a taxi (it was a reasonable flat rate in NY!) but thought, nah, I've taken the train home before and I can do it again.

So I get to the subway terminal and it's hotter than Hades on the platform: the A/C wasn't working. There was a train, but nobody was allowed on board. Then came the announcement: signal problems between ORD & the first stop on the Blue Line, so we had to wait an hour for a shuttle. Then the Blue Line crawled all the way to just before downtown. Had to do a lot of walking to transfer to the Red Line (at least those stops had elevators). Took me twice as long to get home from the airport as it did to fly from NY-Chicago.

Next day was my ocular-onc appt., but the ultrasound scanner was kaput so I'll have to come back next month anyway. From what he could see with the OCT and loupe, everything seemed stable but he couldn't visualize the tumor well enough to measure it.

• chisandy
    edited July 2021

(cont'd)

Meanwhile, while waiting for my flight home, I learned that Broadway Cellars will close forever on Labor Day. Turns out the chef-owners had planned for Thanksgiving 2020 (by then, takeout-only) to be the last gasp, because not only has it been open 15 years and they worked in restaurants before that, but they aren't getting any younger. However, there was a huge GoFundMe campaign and PPP grant, so they reopened in March. They will, as a last hurrah, have 3 nights of a wine pairing dinner 8/18-20. (The 18th is sold out--I'm going the 19th & 20th). Wines haven't been chosen yet but they will be presented by many of the reps who've done one of their 50 previous dinners.

Block party was a bust--no buffet, no group BBQ, everything had to be social-distanced. There were fireworks at the end of the night--but not much.

Took the train to the dentist yesterday for the first time in 15 months (at least for the Brown Line). Got back just in time to pick up my fish CSA order before the place closed. Today I got fitted for new orthotics. The orthotist looked at my arches and asked if I was sure I needed new orthotics, because the ones I have from 2019 looked pretty good to him. Then he had me stand up on them--and my feet pronated so much that the orthotics' arches were flattening. I'm getting regular and dress ones. Not covered by Medicare, but I get only one pair of feet; if I don't use them more often my weight will creep back up.

No DOTD tonight, just ice water--I ate at home alone.

• nativemainer
    edited July 2021

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy Thirsty Thursday! Another pretty day shaping up here. Didn't get out yesterday peeyem, fell asleep in the recliner when I sat down to put my feet up for a few minutes after doing classwork and puttering around the house and doing laundry, got woke up by Sadie wanting me to come sleep in the bed with her! 4 days and 22 hours left until check in for my flight to Charlotte. Getting the packing organized, and getting excited!

Chevy--yup, getting people to drink enough is a battle, dementia or not!

Goldie--Root Beer floats are fun, and Adult Root Beer Floats are even more fun! I think it would be easier to just get the adult root beer with the alcohol already it in, and use that. Sadie will be staying with one of my cousins while I'm away. I'm taking her and her luggage (crate, 2 pillows, food, din-din dish, tennis balls, toys, medication, leash, harness, a Bark Box to open, extra treats, contact info for her vet, microchip number and registry) down Tuesday afternoon. Then come backhome, putter around the house doing last minute stuff, take a nap, head out for the airportaround 2 ayem. 1 to 1 1/2 hour drive to the airport, flight leaves at 6 ayem. I save enough on the ticket booking through the further away airport that I could upgrade to first class and not spend much more than if I flew out of the closer airport. Gotta love technology, I've even pre-paid the airport parking and have a reserved spot! Sorry reason for a trip to Phoenix, but getting to see the DD's is nice. It sounds like we're headed back toward some masking and maybe some other mitigation practices the way COVID cases are climbing again. 2 counties here have high transmission rates, and Maine has one of the highest vaccination rates in the country! A lot is being blamed on the Delta variant.

Morning, Jazzy!

Chevy--hosing him down would be worth a try!

Berry--love the functional shoe box image!

Chi--I do not blame you for eating the Krispy Kreme!Sounds like the concert was a bit of good and bad. It sounds like getting from the airport to home was more of a trip than all the rest of it.Too bad the ultrasound machine was down, but it sounds like the ocular appointment went well. The block party sounds disappointing. Funny how the orthotics looked good until you stood up!You are right about only getting one pair of feet and needing to take care of them.

OK, sitting down to the desktop this ayem and finding I never finished yesterday's post!So I will keep going and do a twofer!

The SuitCase recipe

Ingredients

1 shot of lemon cordial

1 shot of Jack Daniel's® Tennessee whiskey

Pour one shot of Jack Danial's in a shot glass. Pour one shot of Lemon and Lime Cordial in a shot glass. First you mix half a shot of Lemon and Lime Cordial and the full shot of Jack Danial's in your mouth and swallow it down. Then use the other half of Cordial to wash down the Jack Danial's. Imagine the shot to be as half of cordial being the bottom of the suitcase. The Jack Danial's being the goodies in the suitcase. And the other half of Cordial being there to close the suitcase.

From <http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink2h2i210.html>

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited July 2021

Our son's PET results were also good. Leukemia doc says he does not have leukemia, oncologist (the one they call Dr. Negative who had him dying within the year) now will not rule out the major inflammatory reaction and said they would need to choose between a second round of low dose chemo or retest in two months. Decision to be made after meeting with integrative oncologist who was the first to suspect an inflammatory reaction rather than cancer. So we still wait, what a merry-go-round!

Meanwhile my annual mammogram was "see you next year" and we are on the road to Ohio for a family reunion.

• goldie0827
    edited July 2021

ED, like they say, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make em drink. My mom was the same way. I don't think she ever got rid of her UTI. On top of not drinking, she would not shower either, and she was in diapers.

Elderberry, I don't like my picture taken either. I like taking them myself, that way I can take 50 (just kidding) and pic the one good one out of the bunch!

Sandy, sounds like quite the trip and lots going on after you got home. Welcome back.

NM, when I get to my countdown for my trips, I don't count today and I don't count the day I arrive. That way it seems like it's coming up quicker! Are you doing anything special while there? Leaving your house at 2 in the morning? That would be a tough one for me. But glad you got yourself first class. How long is your flight? Sadie has lots to take with her! With all the new Covid cases, the tech that did my echo said they were clearing a floor at the hospital for Covid patients, they are coming in that quickly.

Beaver, that is such great news for your son, may he continue to get results. How are all of those doing that were exposed to Covid? Yay for "see ya next year"!

Nothing going on here, got a little more rain yesterday. August is going to be busy with doctor appts and seeing the girls, lots of driving.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,713
    edited July 2021

Hi all.

NM, what’s the trip for, if you don’t mind telling.

Beaverintx, glad leukemia is ruled out but does anyone suspect what might have caused this inflammatory reaction?

Cami, I sorry it happened but the accidental 911 call was a great story.

• jazzygirl
    edited July 2021

• nativemainer
    edited July 2021

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy Saturday! Going over to Mom's this peeyem to help her with some stuff, mostly stuff that requires getting up on a stepstool or step ladder. She's finally admitted that is not something she should be doing anymore! She's making fish chowder for lunch or dinner, depending on what time she can go pick up her laptop. Mom makes the best fish chowder. Other than that, no much new going on except packing for my trip.

I was puttering around in the garage and had to move the kayak to get at something and realized that I may or may not be able to get the kayak into the Jeep by myself anymore! I did not realize how heavy it was, or how much upper body strength I've lost in the last year or so. It may be time to sell this one and get a small, lightweight one. The one I have now is a larger, older Old Town kayak, built for lake and pond camping trips, can carry lots of stuff, very stable. But heavy.

Beaver--that is good news about your son! After all that he's been through, finding out it may not even be cancer has got to bring mixed feelings. Good news on your mammogram! Enjoy your trip.

Goldie--it's probable your Mom's UTI never completely went away. The sad truth is that most elders, on the order of 60%, have bacteria in their bladder and urine all the time (it's called being colonized), and often antibiotic resistant ones. Part of the protocol to decrease unnecessary use of antibiotics is to not test for a UTI unless there are at least 2 symptoms in a person without a fever, and if the screen indicates an infection, not to start antibiotics until the culture report comes in that tells us what bacteria is responsible and what antibiotics it will respond to, unless the person has a fever. Using your counting method I've got 3 days to go before my trip! Not sure if we'll be doing anything special, the temps areexpected to be around or over 100 with high humidity and neither my sister-in-law nor I do well with that kind of weather, so we may be staying at the house hanging out by the pool mostly, which is perfectly fine with me! The flights are split both ways. Portland Me to JFK is a bit more than an hour,1 and a quarter hour layover in JFK, JFK to Charlotte is about 2 1/2 hours. The ticket says the total travel time is just a hair under 5 hours. One of the things I like about Delta is that it's pretty easy to upgrade to business or first class, and upgrading after buying a coach ticket is much less expensive than buying first class or business class outright. On the occasions I can't upgrade when I buy the ticket I take advantage of seat selection so I always have an aisle seat. First class seats are much more comfortable, especially for a Lady Bountiful like myself. I generally don't check luggage, so being able to have my carry on near my seat is nice, and not always possible in coach or business class. Besides, I deserve a little special treatment from time to time!

Illi--I'm going to visit my brother and his wife for a week. They moved from Maine to N.C. during COVID so my brother could take advantage of a better position in his company, which does computer/technical support for other companies.

Jazzy--interesting thought!

This Old-School Gin Cocktail Is Back and Better Than Ever | Recipe | Gin cocktails, Cocktails, Fruit cocktails

The Aviation Recipe

Ingredients

• 2 ounces gin
    • 3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
    • 2 teaspoons maraschino liqueur
    • Optional: 1 teaspoon crème de violette

Directions

Pour ingredients into a cocktail shaker; fill with ice, and shake well for 10 seconds. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass; garnish with a cherry. For the Biplane Version of The Aviation, include crème de violette. For Jet-Age version, leave it out.

From <https://www.seriouseats.com/cocktails-the-aviation>

I would definitely go for the Biplane version, crème de violette is WONDERFUL!

• jazzygirl
    edited July 2021

Good morning ladies- happy last Saturday of July. Where has the summer gone? Kids start school here in a few weeks and many in the last weeks of their summer vacations. We had some big rain come back this week and the news says the better than average monsoon season is reducing our extreme drought conditions. No rain for a few days now but supposed to be back tomorrow so I am getting out today for errands. The flash flooding in town is to be taken seriously during this time of the year. Another person got washed down an arroyo this week, which makes four lost souls in one week so far.

Our team went to the office this week to prepare to be on site starting Monday. We have a new area we will be located and with the other team, but perhaps not for long in this area. We were told by the leaders in our dept the organization now wants to move us to operations. We had an inkling that this might be coming, so not surprised, but there is another choice any or all of us can make too to remain where we are and do different work. We met with senior leaders this week and can tell it is expecting we are moving. Anyways, I am reviewing my options and may need to make another longer term plan as this situation does not feel sustainable to me. Weighing pros and cons to various choices before me.

Last night I went to see an outdoor concert with a music friend of mine who lives here and on the Smooth Jazz circuit. He has been spending time in other cities the past few years to be part of different music experiences and now has a whole new sound and group he is performing with. Last night was one of the best music experiences I have been part of here in a long time, so proud of him. Sat with a music friend I had not seen in a long time either and caught up with her on life the past few years. It was a lovely night, with perfect temps, no rain and good vibes. Just what my tired old soul needed!

Got to get out to some errands and wishing you all good day. I have some new music from Bruno Mars to share with you next!

• chisandy
    edited August 2021

Encouraging news, Beav!

Still reeling from the news about Cellars closing in just over s month. Tough to turn a profit being open only 4 nights a week plus weekend brunch--but they were unable to find enough staff to add days. They've been at capacity on the patio and 3/4 full every night since the announcement. And with the nice weather we've been having, every restaurant's patio is chock-full. And because of the uncertainty over the Delta variant in Cook County (surprisingly, it accounts for the fewest new cases in Chicago), people are trying to cram in as much indoor restaurant dining as they can before a possible reinstatement of stricter mitigations. (Masks are recommended indoors even for vaccinated people in Chicago--which is teetering on the brink of going from "moderate" to "substantial" transmission rates--but now required in the Cook county suburbs, which are "substantial"). I've started wearing mine in all indoor public spaces even in my own neighborhood. I figure I'd been doing that since mid-June when the city fully "reopened," so it's no big deal to resume.

We went to Cellars on Thurs. and to Barba Yianni in Lincoln Sq. last night. Bob's DOTD was retsina, mine was a glass of a Greek white from Kouros called Patria.

• jazzygirl
    edited August 2021

Chi - it's hard to see places we love close. So many here gone. Hugs 🙏

• chisandy
    edited August 2021

Cellars will have one last wine-pairing dinner Aug. 18-20 (I'm going the second two nights). The menu looks scrumptious, but the wines haven't yet been chosen. That'll depend on which wine reps--or even winemakers--will be able to attend. Sadly, those from France, Italy & Spain can't: due to COVID, we're still not letting travelers from Europe into the country. But there are plenty of winemakers from CA, WA & OR who can travel to Chicago without needing to quarantine.