Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

how about drinking?

Comments

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,972
    edited October 2021

Hi friends- happy October and it's balloon fiesta time again. The event is back again and it's a perfect morning for the mass ascension. I am staying away from the field but may get to see some cool things from over here in my part of town. Not all the local balloons go down to the field, some come over to the west side of town where I live and float on down. Nothing over here quite yet, but they probably will be as I drive to my morning yoga. The weather is quite crisp now, cooled down fast but feels great after a too hot summer.

We went live with some of the first of our changes, bigger ones coming up starting in another week or so. Six more weeks to my week off over Thanksgiving, I can do this! Our team is all quite tired at this point, but pushing on through.

I have to get going to my day but will be back again tomorrow, maybe with some fun pictures. Wishing everyone a good first weekend of the new month!

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited October 2021

ami, I clicked through to the next page, and there you are, right on top. Glad to see you posting, but I don't like the post. I don't like it at all. I don't like what you are going through, and I HATE to hear you say that you are getting ready to leave this world. Made me cry. I love you so much and I'm so glad I got to spend time with you and your family not once, but twice. I hope when it is time for you, that it is peaceful and you are comfortable. If there is anything you would like to tell the girls or Joey, be sure to do that. And ask Joey if there is anything he wants to know. I'm talking more about your life in the earlier years. Being that your family is always doing weird medical things, I'm hoping you stick with that, and will be here for a long time to come! I love you!

Ok, I'm home. Just going to basically jump in, but with a few comments. And some pictures. The last picture is a charcuterie board that my other niece put together. Oh, and I got my hair cut, about 4-5 inches!

Jazzy, welcome back friend. Sounds like a busy, but fun September for you.

Beaver, lots going on in your life for sure. Praying for son that he can get back to NED. As for the other son, moving to South America, that must make you sad. And I'm sorry for the loss of your fur baby.

NM, I had to chuckle at your comment made on the 28th "got through an entire Monday without having to put out any fires". And then the next day....BOOM! A fire!

Teka, I have a picture of hummers at my feeder during a blizzard!

May be an image of fruit

• jazzygirl
    edited October 2021

Goldie- I was watching your posts on FB since I went back on social medial last weekend. It looks like you had a great time and those little girls are just the sweetest! That trip did you some good, of that I am sure.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited October 2021

Hi guys! Miss Camilla T. Whoever... GEEZ it's so nice to see you back again! So now what did you say is wrong with you? Is it something you can And are you okay?

Still so hard thinking about my brother.... just because he didn't want to get vaccinated! He really got sick after getting flu shots in the Navy, so he didn't think he wanted to go through that again... So we lost him... MAN, you never think of losing someone that close to you... I mean we lost our folks, but I never thought of losing him! Sad

I have a special place in my garden with his urn, and a few things of his.... His Daughter sent me some of his T-shirts, a couple long-sleeve shirts & some sheet music for drums he was working on. AND a real nice fleece lined jacket of his... I will wear one of his T-shirts in the Winter to sleep in... so he will be watching over me... If you google Kenny Malone, drummer, you can see a lot of what he is known for.... I'm just so proud of him!

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 581
    edited October 2021

Chevy- I read about your brother, he must have been very talented and amazing. It sounds like he will be missed by a lot of people. I think it is harder to lose a sibling, it is like a piece of your childhood died too. Lots of good memories for you I am sure.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited October 2021

Oh, Chevy, I am so sorry that you lost your brother. But he lives on in the record collections of millions. Not everyone can leave that great and lasting a legacy.

Friday night Bob had "Bread & Butter" brand Chardonnay and i finished off the Mumm Napa brut with our zuppa di pesce leftovers. He had also visited the bargain bin at Binny's and brought home "Red Eye Rye," which was made with coffee. He declared it "disgusting." Sometimes you do get what you paid for.

Last night we went to Mercat a la Planxa for a tapas tasting. I had the house rosé cava; he had his usual vodka martini and a glass of sangria.

• jazzygirl
    edited October 2021

Chevy- I lost my brother when he was 40 (I was 32) from a rare family genetic illness. It was devestating, took me a long time to get over it honestly (or get on with it maybe). Like Chi said, you loose a peice of your childhood when a sibling leaves too. My grief counselor from that time said that siblings tend to have the biggest impact on our lives as they are with us the longest (grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles go in time and we expect that).

Be gentle with yourself sister and think a few of us here understand this loss very well.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited October 2021

I have a special place in my back garden for Kenny... His urn is on that blue planter, and that huge rock with our picture on it, is one he picked up and put in the trunk of my car when we were up above Idaho Springs, and he set it in my garden... A head-band of his is in that hanging jar... Yeah, I still want to cry when something reminds me of him.....Hug

May be an image of tree and outdoors

• piksie
    piksie Member Posts: 132
    edited October 2021

Did I really just find a breast cancer thread about drinking??? Hallelujah! I read back a couple of pages and love the positive vibe. May I tag along? :)

image alt="">

Coconut Margarita

2 oz - tequila blanco

1/4 oz - triple sec

1/2 oz - fresh lime juice

1 oz - cream of coconut (not coconut cream!)

sweetened shredded cocunut for the rim

ice

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited October 2021

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy Monday Monkey Day! Getting up to some chilliness this ayem. Feels like fall has arrived. Some leaves changing color, but not a lot yet. Mom and I went on a foliage train ride Saturday, not as much color as I would have liked, but there was some and it was fun anyway, if a little bit chilly towards the end. It was kind of interesting when Mom called me at 1 peeyem, asking me where I was (at home) because the train was leaving and I had to tell her, again, that our tickets were for the 3:30 peeyem ride. Not sure what she did for the next couple of hours other than go to a restaurant where she got a menu and then never saw anyone again until she left. And this was after we had talked on the phone about what time to meet at least 3 times during the course of the day!

Sadie just chuffed and went back to sleep when I told her about Mom's adventures.Then she went to the bedroom and preheated my bed for me. Gotta love the pup!

Goldie--Glad to see you back, even gladder you had a good time away! OMG, I never noticed the getting through a Monday without a fire comment and the real fire the next day! I'm hoping there aren't any more emergency situations to "practice" going forward. The pics are great! Your niece puts out a pretty spread! And beautiful hair cut on a beautiful lady!

Chevy--your special space for your brother is so sweet, and such a great idea. I'm glad you've got some things of his to cherish as well.

Morning, Misty!

Chi--I love coffee and wine, but I'm not sure about putting them together! Although I would taste a wine like that if I had a chance.

Jazzy--good advice for Chevy. I can't imagine losing my brother but we're both getting to an age where things like that happen, and neither of us is in perfect health.

Morning, Teka!

Welcome, Piksie! Newcomers are always welcome here in the HTL! That coconut Margarita sounds very yummy! Pull up a bar stool and tell us about yourself.

• goldie0827
    edited October 2021

Teka, 1/2-3/4 of my hair had fallen out over the last year due to stress. At least that's the only thing I can figure. Well, it's coming back in now and about 2-3" long. And it just wasn't looking good that long and so thin.

Jazzy, the trip was well needed and absolutely did some good.

ED, I'm sure you will grieve for quite some time. That was nice of his DD to send you some things. I also read on your page that his wife is in rehab and doesn't even know her DH passed? Nice article on Kenny. Wow, he played with some big names. Then there was mention of Country Music Hall of Fame, another wow!

Sandy, lol at the "bargin bin". Hopefully he didn't spend too much.

Hi Piksie and welcome. Of course you can tag along. We call this the HTL, the Hot Tatties Lounge, and instead of bar tenders, we have tattie tenders. We tend to be light and funny but also very supportive when one of us needs it, and I think we've all been there a time or two. Looking at your diagnosis, stage IV diagnosed on Christmas? That wasn't very nice.

NM, colors were just starting to change in MI too. Sorry there was much to see, but at least it was time spent with mom. Does it seem like she's forgetting more and more?

The last couple of days I've been working on putting sealer on the wheelchair ramp. OMG, my back is screaming! I'm about 2/3 done. The worst part is trying to get that stuff on the wood where the cracks are. You know the side pieces of the wood. There's only about a half inch to work with. My left shoulder hurts from holding myself up. You have so sit on the floor to do it, my right knee hurts from just resting on the wood. Legs and butt hurt from all the getting up and down. I finally went and got an old pillow to sit on, so that helps a little bit! I told my husband I hate getting old, then immediately changed it to getting OLDER. I refuse to say I'm old! Have to go and get my injections today, so that will take up about 3-4 hours of my day.

Thank you all for the pic comments.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,713
    edited October 2021

Welcome piksie.

DOTD was a Peach Sangria, yum!

• goldie0827
    edited October 2021

Looks yummy BabyGirl, what's in the bowl to the left of the glass?

• illimae
    edited October 2021

Goldie, it’s was an olive oil and herb dipping mix for the bread, it was good too!

• goldie0827
    edited October 2021

That's what I thought it was. Isn't there a name for that? I couldn't think of it, so when I asked, I thought maybe you would spit it out! LOL! What's in the olive oil? I've only had it once, with a get together with some of the gals from here in Vegas.

• illimae
    edited October 2021

Goldie, I don’t remember, I just know it’s a dipping sauce. I had one I bought but it’s packed in a box at the cabin. You can find the by the olive oils at the grocery store though.

• nativemainer
    edited October 2021

Good morning, Loungettes!Happy Twofer Tuesday!We had a pretty mellow Monday at school yesterday, I'm hoping that doesn't mean it's going to be super exciting today. I'm listening to the weather report, temps may drop into the 30's overnight, and going back up to the 70's tomorrow. The fall temperature rollercoaster ride has started!

Goldie--It's kind of hard to explain but Mom isn't really forgetful. I swear she has adult ADD. She really can remember things, but gets distracted so easily, and then, even though she knows she should check her calendar or messages, she just goes with the last time frame she was talking about with someone. She knew we were meeting at 3 pm, she was originally going to meet some other friends around 1 pm, and when they cancelled, she just moved the train ride up to that time slot instead of looking at the text I sent her. I know it all sounds like forgetfulness, but it's way more like the kinds of things the kiddos at school with ADD do. Or maybe I just don't want to see her as getting more forgetful. It sounds like you've been working pretty hard the last couple of days, no wonder your body is talking back to you! I like the getting OLDER, not getting OLD outlook. I hope the injection appointments went smoothly.

Illi--oooh, peach sangria sound sooooo good!

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited October 2021

Funny Cat Gifs for Hillary Clinton - Hillary Clinton Donald Trump Reactions

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited October 2021

MORNIN' LADIES

LORI UR WORKING SO HARD PLEASE SLOW DOWN SOME. MAYBE I MISSED IT BUT DID U DO ANY PRESERVING THIS YEAR USUALLY WE SEE PICS.

WELCOME PIKSIE, PLEASE JUST JOIN IN AND SHARE WITH US THESE R GREAT LADIES.

KIM SCHOOL IS KEEPING U BUSY MAYBE TO BUSY AFTER ALL IT JUS T STARTED ONE THING FOR SURE U ALWAYS CAN HANDLE IT.

SANDY U AND BOB HAVE MORE RESTAURANTS TO GO TO IT'S LUCKY THO. LOSING WEIGHT HAS TO BE HARD WHEN U HAVE SO MUCH TO PICK FROM. EVERYTHING SOUNDS SO GOOD. I'VE BEEN HAVING A TASTE FOR CRAB CAKES <NEVER HAD ONE> BUT FOR SOME REASON I WANT TO TASTE I

CHEVY UR TRIBUTE TO UR BROTHER IS WONDERFUL. LOSING BOTH OF MY BROTHERS WITHIN A YR, HAS BEEN TOUGH. FOR SOME REASON IT HURTS IN A WHOLE DIFFERENT WAY. I KNOW HOW CLOSE U;VE ALWAYS BEEN. CHEVY THERE IS NO CURE FOR WHAT I HAVE IT'S JUST A MATTER OF TIME AN THEY DON'T REALLY KNOW SINCE THESE ARE NEW DISEASES LEAVE IT TO ME> BUT IT IS ALL RELATED TO CANCER. <A COUSIN UNCLE AUNT I DON'T KNOW SOME RELATIVE>

LORI THE PIC U HAVE FOR AN AVATAR IS THAT WITH UR HAIR CUT OR DID U GET IT CUT AFTER. CUZ IT REALLY LOOKS NICE.

OK DR. STUFF TODAY UGH TALK TO U GALS LATAH

LUBS U ALL

• goldie0827
    edited October 2021

BabyGirl, I did some Googling and it's just called bread dip with olive oil. I saw several recipes. I won't make it, as DH won't have any of it, so I would just be making it for myself.

NM, I do hope you are right about mom. We are getting below freezing later in the week too. I just wish winter passed as quickly as summer does.

Cami, my avitar is before the haircut. There are pictures on the previous page that I posted, just above where Chevy posted hers of special garden spot for her brother. Also there are many on FB. As for the garden, it was joke. I didn't have the time to care for it. My tomatoes didn't get much bigger than the size of a ping pong ball. I did get a few jars of beans, that's it.

Can't finish the ramp/porch today, as we are supposed to get rain. So today's chore will be filling the batteries for the solar. And getting ready for yet more company! I wish he would stop! We are still dealing with a pandemic! This time it's the gal we know from Laughlin, her son and her mom.

• chisandy
    edited October 2021

Alessi makes a blend called "Olive Oil Dipping Spices" that includes various Italian herbs, dehydrated garlic, and red pepper flakes, in a disposable grinder bottle. I got mine packaged together with its "Avocado Toast Seasoning."

Speaking of drinking, yesterday as I was refilling the 20-oz. Starbucks plastic double-walled iced-drink tumbler I use as my at-home water bottle, I noticed a "meniscus" about an inch up from the bottom. Was there a layer of oil or film? I emptied out the ice & water, but the meniscus remained in the empty tumbler. Only then did I notice a three-inch-long crack, which was on only the inner wall. I decided to say adios to it--it had been my "water buddy" for almost five years, and I fear that water between its walls can probably incubate bacteria. So now i have a 24-ouncer.

• piksie
    piksie Member Posts: 132
    edited October 2021

Hello! Bellying up to the bar.

Thank you for the warm welcomes. Goldie, true, Christmas wasn't fun that year. But I'm coming up on my sixth Christmas and happy as can be about that!

Chevy, I failed to mention previously but meant to, it looks like you've created a lovely space to honor your brother. I hope it brings you peace.

My basics - two teenage boys, two cats, in the process of cutting work hours back to smell the roses and to give more time to my 13 year old who really needs it right now. I spent quite a bit of time here in 2018 through chemo and mets diagnosis, then sort of put it all away with two+ years of smooth sailing. But I'm back. In need of some venting, wisdom, and tomfoolery!

I had a video call with MO today, and he gave me permission to have two cocktails on my upcoming 3-day cruise. (whatevs…) I talked him into four, but failed to mention the all-you-can-drink package. :)

My favorite BBQ margarita:

12 oz frozen limeade

12 oz water

12 oz tequila

12 oz light beer (I use Corona Light)

• chisandy
    edited October 2021

With seared sablefish tonight, "Three By Wade" (Wade Cellars, Napa Valley) 2020 dry Chenin Blanc. It was on sale at Whole Foods.

• nativemainer
    edited October 2021

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy Hump Day! Got through another day without at school without an evacuation or lock down. Hopefully all that stuff had run it course and will stay away so we can get other stuff done. I am absolutely amazed at how much is growing in the school garden beds! They were planted after school opened, and have already harvested enough to add to the school lunch salad bar on a few days.

Sadie is getting back in to the regular work routine, and has started staying up with me in the mornings, nudging for pets and ear scratches while I'm checking email and eating breakfast. She's still going to bed before me and prewarming the bed, which I think is very nice of her. Of course, the discussion of who gets which and how many pillows stills goes on most nights!

Cammy Cat--School is keeping me busy, but its' settling into a predictable routine, so that's working out well. Hope the doctor stuff went well.

Goldie--sorry to hear about your garden not going well this year, but I can understand how you didn't have a lot of time to work on it. You do seem to be getting ready for company on a regular basis lately!

Chi--sounds like that water bottle was an old and favored friend, I'm sorry you had to let it go. Good point about the potential for growing bacteria, though.

Piksie--I love the way you talked your doc into approving 4 cocktails on your cruise! Where are you cruising to?

Black Cat Cocktail

Ingredients

Steps to Make It

1. Gather the ingredients.
    2. In a highball glass filled with ice, pour the vodka and cherry brandy.
    3. Fill the glass with equal amounts of cranberry juice and cola.
    4. Stir well.
    5. Serve and enjoy.

From <https://www.thespruceeats.com/black-cat-cocktail-recipe-761004>

• jazzygirl
    edited October 2021

• goldie0827
    edited October 2021

Sandy, sorry for the loss of your "water buddy", may he/she rest in peace.

Piksie, having a 13 yo, you must be rather young. I couldn't imagine dealing with this and having teenagers. I hear ya about being happy for your 6th Xmas, I'm coming up on my 7th. 3 day cruise, Catalina? And what the doctor doesn't know, won't hurt him! CHeERz!

NM, glad things are settling down at school, at least for now. Hmmmmm, I bet I know who wins with the pillows! Will the kids get to dress up for Halloween at school the Friday before, since it falls on Sunday? Company on a regular basis, uh huh! He says to me yesterday, we have to talk and I don't want to. What? The girls want to come for TG. FINE, I'll just do the big dinner, F it! But they can't all stay here, I don't have the room.

Jazzy, the balloon fest was so amazing to see, I'm glad we did that.

Got some rain yesterday, did our batteries. We have 24 of them, and for whatever reason, 8 of them are drying up, which is not good. I just filled them before I left for MI. Those 8 took 8 gallons of water, where as the other 16 only used 1 gallon for all of them. Have a video visit with my MO today. Oh, and was reminded by FB that today is our Anniversary! This is the second time we both have forgotten!

• chisandy
    edited October 2021

Happy Anniversary, Lori!

• nativemainer
    edited October 2021

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy Thirsty Thursday! I had a wonderfully mild day at school yesterday. The big fall testing thing is going on, so there was a mini-epidemic of test anxiety, but otherwise pretty calm. I'm wondering how long it will last. The sister school down the road has a couple of students out with COVID symptoms whose parents have just tested positive, if one of the kiddos tests positive it's looking like and entire grade will end up in quarantine, and possibly the entire school, depending on bus and recess contacts. So I'm waiting for the call that it's time to head to the sister school and help with contact tracing and informing. AND, the kiddos involved have siblings at my school who will need to quarantine as close contacts, and if one of them tests positive, the sister school nurse will be coming up to my school to help me out! I can just see it coming now. I have a feeling my upcoming 2 day weekend is going to be a working one. Good Lord, but this stuff needs to GO AWAY!!!

Jazzy--great pics of the balloons.I saw a report of a couple of balloons that ran into power lines, where they part of the event where you are?

Goldie--I believe the kids will be allowed to dress up for Halloween, which reminds me that I need to figure out what I'm going to dress up as. One of the big benefits of working in a school is getting to play like a kid and not be considered crazy! Stick to your guns about Thanksgiving, just dothe meal, let them say somewhere else. Your energy has limits and there is nothing wrong with them dealing with that fact, assuming they are adults. I hope the batteries using up more water isn't a sign of a problem with them. Hard to believe you both forgot your anniversary, twice! Happy Anniversary!

Morning, Chi!

Battery Acid Cocktail Recipe | Cocktail Builder

Battery Acid

3-5 drops of tabasco sauce

1 oz of green chartreuse

1 oz of jose cuervo especial gold tequila

1 oz of Bacardi 151 rum

Combine equal amounts of green chartreusse, Jose Cuervo tequila and Bacardi 151 rum in a shot glass, leaving a little room for a few drops of tabasco sauce. Stir, then add the tabasco sauce, and shoot it fast. \r

NOTE: People who have not experienced chartreuse before or can't take tabasco sauce well may need a chaser or a glass of water.

From <https://www.cocktailbuilder.com/recipe/battery-acid>

• goldie0827
    edited October 2021

See the source image

See the source image

List of Best Ever Grade Level Costumes - Toy Story Teacher Costumes