Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

how about drinking?

Comments

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,713
    edited November 2021

NM, it sucks you have to deal with people who overestimate a situation while lacking good sense themselves.

Funny, I had a dream last night that I was small performance room, very sparsely populated but I forgot my mask. I left to go get it, stranger danger.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited November 2021

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited November 2021

Ha ha BabyGirl, it wasn't to feel accomplished that he dressed himself. It was cuz he was getting the cold shoulder for several days, and so we weren't speaking, therefore he wouldn't ask for help. Did your dream have you freaking out?

NM, do use that Lavender and let that go. Of course it's those that won't wear a mask properly, and of course be the first to complain. Glad the higher ups took care of the situation with staff email. Oh, it wasn't me telling the kids they couldn't stay, it was his mom. I don't have the room, I only have 1 spare bedroom and there's 4 of them. What has me confused is that they will be there every day visiting with her, they are doing TG dinner with them, but they can't stay there. They stayed there back in May when they came to visit! DH's other DD and her DH are staying here.

Morning ED. Use this time before your DD and GS arrive as part of the excitement. Is your DD afraid to travel because of Covid? And be glad you can do those stairs at all! But do be careful my friend! YES, you have your memories of your brother, a lifetime of them.

Some of the comments made by DH to cause him to get the cold shoulder. I had fallen asleep on the couch, he says "I woke up and you weren't in bed, I thought you left me." REALLY

Leaving yesterday to go to town for shopping "Are you coming home?" REALLY

Then because I wasn't talking to him, he says "Do you just want a divorce, you can take all the money and just put me in an assisted living" I went off on him, basically telling him that I can't deal with the negative BS that comes out of your mouth, therefore I choose not to talk you to you. If you want to change your attitude, and we can get back to our lives, then I'm good with that. That's it in a nutshell. So he apologized, and said he would try harder to be more positive.

Kind of a spring cocktail, but oh well!

Lavender + Rhubarb Gin Drink

The Best Gin Cocktail

• 1 1/2 ounce gin
    • 1/2 tablespoon lavender syrup
    • 1/2 teaspoon creme de Violette
    • 3 1/2 ounces tonic water
    • ice
    • rhubarb stalk for garnish
    • strawberry slices for garnish
    • Into a cocktail mixing glass, add a single plump ripe strawberry, and two one-inch pieces of fresh rhubarb.
    • Using a muddler, mash the strawberry and pieces of rhubarb to release the juices.
    • Add 1 cup of ice.
    • Add gin, lavender syrup, and the creme de Violette.
    • Using a long-handled cocktail bar spoon, give the mixture several turns.
    • Add the tonic water.
    • Strain the mixture into a chilled mojito glass filled with fresh ice.
    • Garnish with stalks of rhubarb and slices of strawberry.
  • chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited November 2021

Called Binny's--the area's booze warehouse--and confirmed they have the Nouveau. Ate across the street at L.Woods (a faux-northwoods-WI "supper club"). Split a wedge salad. I had a very boring OR Pinot Noir*, 3 unsauced beef ribs (the charcoal crumbs stained my nice beige ultrasuede leggings after I lifted & shook out the napkin), slaw & creamed spinach. Still have half the spinach and 2 ribs). When we got to Binny's, all they had was the basic Duboeuf Nouveau (not the rose nor the Villages-Nouveau). Due to supply issues and a lousy harvest, that's all they got (no other brands nor any domestic Gamay or hybrid Nouveau). But at $10, it was still a steal (Wine Expectorator, er, Spectator listed it as $13 and Wine Enthusiast $14--got half a case).

*I suspect that these mid-level casual restaurants (this is part of the Lettuce Entertain You chain) with very limited wine lists, all of which are available by the glass for between $10-12, pour the same generic red--they all taste the same with no distinctive bouquet differences. Maybe it's the thick-rimmed cheap glasses too, poured too full. It could have been a Malbec, Tempranillo, Syrah or Merlot. Only reason it wasn't a Cab was that it was acidic & not tannic. Change the menu & decor and I could've been drinking at a Longhorn, Lone Star or Applebee's. Dunno why I order a wine I would never buy by the bottle to take home. Next time, club soda unless it's a great wine list with thoughtful by-the-glass options (and they let me taste first).

Tomorrow night with my leftovers, some of that Nouveau.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited November 2021

Lori - good for you for standing up for yourself. I hope your husband stays more positive. How are you feeling? Anything to see the doctor about. Keeping you in my thoughts. Hugs my friend

• chisandy
    edited November 2021

So I Coravined some of that Duboeuf Beaujolais Nouveau 2021. No surprises--it's a typical one of what it is, although markedly enhanced when accompanied by cheeses & nuts. Higher in acidity than in seasons past (due to a lower sugar & alcohol content from a lousy growing season) with a less assertive BN bouquet (which usually has strong notes of strawberry & banana). At $10 a bottle, it's something I don't really need to Coravin (Bob would classify it as a "guzzling wine," albeit a couple of bucks more expensive than Whole Foods' bargain loss-leaders). We don't buy Charles Shaw (I haven't set foot in a Trader Joe's since early March 2020--simply because we have larger stores closer to us). When Bob gets home with chicken wings, I'll just pop the cork and we'll likely kill off that first bottle tonight.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited November 2021

Good Morning, Loungettes!

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy Saturday! Boy, did sleeping in feel good this ayem. I'm still a little tired and my leg is aching where I got my COVID booster yesterday, but nothing another cup of coffee won't get me through. The vaccination clinic yesterday was fairly successful, first estimate is over 250 5 to 11 year olds got their first shot, with a goodly number etting first or secoof 12 and upsgnd shots, and many adults getting boosters. The next one is in 3 weeks, and all those kiddos getting the second shot will be fully vaccinated as of Christmas Eve!

Sadie says Hi to everyone.I had her DNA tested for fun.Silly Sadie DOES have some hound in her, like I thought!

Breed Mix

We detected 10 breeds in Sadie's DNA.

• Sporting
      • 48% Labrador Retriever
      • 2% Golden Retriever
      • 1% Flat-Coated Retriever
    • Hound
      • 14% Treeing Walker Coonhound
      • 5% Bluetick Coonhound
      • 3% American Foxhound
      • 2% Catahoula Leopard Dog
      • 2% Redbone Coonhound
    • Herding
      • 22% German Shepherd Dog
      • 1% White Swiss Shepherd

I've never heard of Catahoula Leopard Dog or White Swiss Shepherd.

Chevy--even though there isn't a huge amount of research on mixing the Moderna and Pfizer vaxes, the research is trending toward fewer side effects and slightly better protection with the mix. BUT, the differences between mixing and not mixing are very small, less than 5%, so probably won't be statistically significant in the long run. I've had people ask me which way is better, and I have to tell them there really isn't enough difference to make one approach better than the other, and it's probably more helpful to choose based on comfort level. If you are more comfortable getting a booster ASAP, take the first appointment you can get, for either one. If you are uncomfortable with the idea of mixing brands, get the booster of the same brand your initial 2 shots were. Both will be just as well protected in the long run. I, too, keep running into the "what happened? I used to be able to do that without any trouble at all. " phenomenon. It's almost scary sometimes! Our mothers and grandmothers lived by theaxiom "Wear it out, use it up, make it do, or do without" so if there is any little tiny bit of life or use left in something, better keep it or you'll be sorry some day! But that is easy to morph into hoarding.

Illi--Interesting dream you had! I've been having more dreams that leave me feeling uneasy or slightly anxious, but not one like that yet. Someone pointed out yesterday that my school is a very small school and so is subject to very large bouts of hysteria, a group dynamic that I had not thought of, but is very true! It was good to be reminded that the stuff happening and info getting passed around is not all about me, but is a natural part of the group dynamic in a high stress situation. Going to depersonalize it by trying to predict the next crazy thing to come up.

Goldie--Whatever DH's reason for getting himself dressed, at leastyou both have proof that he IS ABLE to do that. If DH had dementia, I'd be thinking the paranoia was part of the dementia disease process. I know ALS and depression and schizophrenia are commonly seen together, but his comments sound more like paranoia.I wonder what the kids' Mom reason for not letting the kid stay if they are going to be visiting daily is? I LOVE that cocktail!I so like anything with lavender in it.

Chi--it must be frustrating not being able to get the wines you want.

Karen--I agree!

Golden Dream Cocktail

Golden Dream Cocktail

Ingredients

• 3/4 ounce premium triple sec
    • 3/4 ounce Galliano L'Autentico Liqueur
    • 3/4 ounce cream
    • 3/4 ounce orange juice

Steps to Make It

1. Gather the ingredients.
    2. In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, pour the triple sec, Galliano, cream, and orange juice.
    3. Shake well.
    4. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
    5. Serve and enjoy.

From <https://www.thespruceeats.com/golden-dream-cocktail-recipe-759302>

I've had this before, only it was called a Golden Cadillac. It is SERIOUSLY yummy and sneaks up on you!

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,972
    edited November 2021

• nativemainer
    edited November 2021

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Sunday, Funday! Only for me it's a work day. I played couch potato most of the day after visiting with Mom and running some errands that I've put off all week. I felt a bit off most of the day, and the booster shot site hurt, but that's the worst it got. At least I don't feel so totally tired and wiped out like I did yesterday. So now today I need to catch up class work and housework and such.

Sadie says Hi!

LOL, Jazzy!

This morning's DOTD is Kahulua in my coffee, and I invite everyone to doctor up your favorite morning drink with whatever floats your boat!

• goldie0827
    edited November 2021

Thanks Karen, I don't think there's anything a doctor can do for me. I think it's just a bug, but wants to linger on, that's for sure! I should probably pop some zinc and C. You are leaving Wed. right?

NM, glad to hear of so many of the kids getting their shots. DH's comments are just part of his pity party, there is not a darned thing wrong with with mind. His other reason for saying things, if I'm mad at him, he will turn the situation around, thinking he's using reverse psychology on me. Saying things like I'm such an idiot, or I don't deserve you.

Cute Jazzy.

What are everyone's plans for Thursday?

• illimae
    edited November 2021

We’re having our usual “friendsgiving” at the cabin. No kitchen here yet, so cooking at a neighbors for us and our good friends from Louisiana who also bought property down the road. All the normal stuff with my family stuffing recipe and DH is adding creamy garlic Brussels sprouts and Mac n cheese. I’m going to make some turkey soup with leftovers, great for the weather up here, which is getting cold!

• jazzygirl
    edited November 2021

Good morning friends and happy thanksgiving time!

I think it's been a couple weeks since I posted and finally to my break time, week off. I started by spending the day in Santa Fe doing some Xmas shopping and just spending time in the city different, as they call it. It was busier than expected, usually it's pretty quiet up there but not this year. Lots of out of staters there, looks like some folks are coming here for their holiday. Ski resort is not open yet, no snow.

My dental surgery is healing up well (two weeks out) and have another procedure this week (that thing we do when we are over 50). You may be wondering why I chose to do this during my vacation time, but I actually booked this in the summer before I planned to take this week off. That being said, it will be easier to do the prep and by Wed, I will have this 5 year check up done and on to the rest of my time off. I have lots of things at home to do so it works out for me to be home to do things and deal with the rest. The state is in crisis standard of care again with the pandemic and was worried it might get postponed, but only for inpatient procedures. November is turning out to be procedure month for this girl.....

For Thanksgiving, I plan to just rest at home on Thursday after a morning yoga class. Normally I do a friendsgiving like Illimae is doing, but with the numbers here being bad, and friends with elderly parents, no one is still doing the bigger get togethers. But I really am looking forward to just having the day to myself. I have plans the following day and weekend to do more out and about things, including a trip to our winter bird refuge down south.

If you have not heard about the Bosque Del Apache, our winter bird refuge, here is a cool video that will share more about the place. If you are ever coming through here late fall to early winter, it is worth the trip!

I am heading out for my Covid test shortly (ugh) that I must do to get clearance for my procedure on Wed and will be back again soon!

• karen1956
    edited November 2021

Lori - We are in Toronto now - we left last Wednesday and heading home tomorrow morning.

My SIL woke up in the middle of the night Friday/Saturday to go to the bathroom - it was about 3:00am - he yelled for my daughter and was laying on the bathroom floor in horrible pain - he was laying in blood and poop. My daughter called 911 and he was admitted to the ER at 4:00am. It took till 9:30pm to get a room on a floor for him. They don't know the cause of the GI bleed. He was given 3 units of blood yesterday and iron transfusion today. He has slept most of today. Just before my daughter left he ate a little chicken broth she brought for him. My daughter has been with him this afternoon - his father will relieve her. My SIL is such a sweet guy - he was worried about ruining our trip and told my daughter to stay with us instead of going to him. Of course my husband and I wouldn't not hear of that. I wanted to take pictures Thursday and forgot and only this afternoon realized no pictures. I asked my daughter is she wanted me to stay a few extra days and her response was "can I think about it?". I don't want to impose or be in her way, but want to help if she wants it. My poor kids can't get a break

Thursday will be Thanksgiving dinner for 3 - DH, me and DS. I'm making turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, cranberries and pumpin and pecan pie (one of each as my son likes both). Its only a 12# turkey but we will have lots of turkey leftover - We will have the same for Friday night dinner. I'll make soup from the carcass and maybe a turkey pie - and freeze any other turkey.

• goldie0827
    edited November 2021

Off in the morning for treatment. Youngest DD and her DH will arrive while I'm gone, the other one, DH and grands on Tuesday. Will check in when I can.

• goldie0827
    edited November 2021

May be an image of text that says 'Don' forget to turn your BATHROOM SCALES back 15 pounds Wednesday night at 1 AM for THANKSGIVING!'

• nativemainer
    edited November 2021

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy Monday Monkey Day! It's a two day week this week. Probably just as well, the sister school had another child test positive over the weekend, so they are going remote. No pool testing this week, the testing company decided to close for the holiday week since they won't be able to turn the tests around fast enough. They are going to do the same thing Christmas week, too. Some people are not very happy with this development.

The second day after the booster was good. The site is still a little sore, but otherwise I felt OK. Not as tired as the day before, thank goodness.

Sadie is moderately disgusted with the rain coming down this morning. I'm telling her to be happy it isn't snow!

Goldie--Your DH is sounding like a real challenge to live with! I'm going over to Mom's for T-day. I thought I had convinced her not to cook a big turkey, turns out she tried to buy one and had to have help getting it into her shopping cart, then had to have help getting on the check out belt, then had to have help getting it into the car, then she realized she had no help to get it from the car to the apartment, so she donated it to a turkey collection --and had to have help getting it out of the car! She's had both shoulders operated on at one time or another, between that and her age she just cannot lift the heavy things she used to.

Illi--I love the "friendsgiving" tradition! I will miss the turkey leftovers and the turkey rice soup Mom used to make from the leftovers.

Jazzy--Glad to hear the dental work is healing up well. The 'city different' sounds like fun. The bird refuge looks like a great place to visit! Thanks for sharing.

Karen--Your poor SIL! Praying he gets better ASAP. That must have been terrifying for everyone involved.

Goldie--good luck with the treatment appointment! Love the bathroom scales reminder!

The Turkey's Wattle

Ingredients

Ingredient Checklist

• 2 1/2 ounces rye whiskey, preferably Wild Turkey Rye 101 proof
    • 3/4 teaspoon St. Elizabeth allspice dram (rum-based allspice liqueur)
    • 1 ounce chilled apple cider
    • 1/2 ounce Simple Syrup
    • Two 6-inch strips of orange zest
    • Ice
    • 2 ounces chilled ginger beer

Directions

Instructions Checklist

• Step 1
      In a cocktail shaker, combine the whiskey, allspice dram, cider, Simple Syrup and 1 of the orange zest strips. Fill the shaker with ice and shake well, then strain into a chilled ice-filled collins glass. Stir in the ginger beer and garnish with the remaining strip of orange zest.

From <https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/turkeys-wattle>

• jazzygirl
    edited November 2021

I had to show you the ring I tried on in Santa Fe this weekend

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2021

WOW Jazzygirl! You could use that for brass knuckles!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

• nativemainer
    edited November 2021

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy Twofer Tuesday! And the last day of school before Thanksgiving break. The sister school is in remote. There was a sore throat and headache outbreak at my school yesterday, and every adult in the building was all worked up about every kid who even hinted at not feeling perfectly healthy. We probably should have closed down for the week and just been done with it, but no one wanted to make up the days in June. Not that I blame anyone for that. But I wonder just how much educating got done yesterday and will get done today. Oh well, just need to get through the day and then enjoy the break, right?

Jazzy--I saw that ring on Facebook! How on earth would you wear that and be able to do anything? That ring is major bling!

Kid--good point!

Pumpkin Pie Martini recipe

Pumpkin Martini

Ingredients

• Vodka
    • Heavy cream (or coconut milk)
    • Pure maple syrup
    • Canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
    • Pumpkin pie spice (purchased or homemade)
    • Vanilla extract
    • Graham crackers, for the rim

From <https://www.acouplecooks.com/pumpkin-martini/>

• goldie0827
    edited November 2021

Gosh Karen, I had your trip all mixed up! I bet now, you wish, you were leaving tomorrow, in stead of going home. Your poor SIL, how scary and humiliating for him. Is this all due to what he was dealing with before? Praying he heals completely and they can figure out what is going on.

NM, glad your booster was uneventful for the most part. OMG, your poor mom and that turkey, and then to give it away! DH CAN be a challenge to live with. However, after my talk with him, things have been great! Hoping none of the kiddos have Covid.

That's quite the ring Jazzy! But my question is "why?"

Kids arrived yesterday, the other ones will be here today to visit. I think my step DD wants me to do dinner on Wednesday so they can have leftovers on Thursday, as they are leaving Friday. Well, I want left overs too and they are pretty big eaters and seem to eat constantly. I have a 15# turkey, and DH won't have hardly any at all, IF any at all. Saw the MO yesterday, he had a cancelation so came and saw me. I told him to lay it on me, as I hadn't looked at anything. My TM's actually came down a little, which I don't care about anymore. Scans haven't been done in 2 years mind you. Teeny tiny spot on my liver, he said is probably nothing. Bone scan, of course, showed some uptake, but to be expected right? But for 2 years, he said he wasn't anything major. So staying on the same treatment.

• illimae
    edited November 2021

Goldie, 2 years between scans would terrify me but congrats, sounds like stable 😁

The meal situation with the kids sounds a bit rude, I hope they volunteer to cook and clean up some at least.

• chisandy
    edited November 2021

Jazzy, you're gonna need some hella big mittens if you're gonna wear that ring in a NM high-country winter! Your state's governor is one of the first two to declare that without a booster, you're not considered "fully-vaccinated." I don't see many states' or even local governments having much of an appetite for mandating boosters. In fact, the GOP mayor of southwest suburban Orland Park is even against mask and any-vaccination mandates. Sadly, the latest YouGov poll revealed that not only are 75% of respondents saying their lives are "back to normal," but that 15% said they never changed their routines: no masking, distancing, nor vaccination. Pretty sure that those who went back to pre-COVID life because they had grown weary of mitigations and believed (like Bill Maher) that they were "so over the pandemic" are those who are driving the rise in cases in even the most highly-vaccinated states.

Lori, hope all goes well with your SIL. Gordy had a similar episode at 14--turned out to be a 'rhoid. Scared the hell out of us, as that was the late Jonathan Larson's only symptom before dying of a ruptured AAA only a few weeks earlier, so we went to the ER. It never recurred.

Our "friendsgiving" will be at the Signature Room on the 95th floor of the former Hancock Bldg. There will be nine of us (HK & her DH are bowing out, as he was recently dx'ed with a GIST--very slow-growing but still painful stomach cancer--and has a dialysis appt. that day; she will be driving him as the VA's shuttle drivers are off that day). All of us have been "boostered." In the past, the way that restaurant did T-day was that everyone got free run of the buffet, plus ordered an entree; and everyone got some turkey & trimmings to take home for Fri. This year, no buffet, and likely no free turkey leftovers. Will not be strictly keto, but will still eat sparingly of the stuffing, cranberries & dessert. Tonight we're going to Chez Joel for dinner, so I kept my breakfast strictly keto (herb-Gruyere omelet).

BTW, the kosher section at Mariano's carries a 4-pack of individual portions of shakshuka sauce (the label says "omelet sauce") from Israel. Also three different flavors (plain, vanilla, marble) of sugar-free halvah. That 4 pack means I won't have an open jar of shakshuka or Rao's marinara wasting space in my fridge.

Finally killed off that first bottle of Duboeuf Beauj. Nouveau (drinking 2-3 oz. per dinner) we opened Thurs. night. We have six more. Nobody in Chicago has other brands, much less Duboef's Nouveau Rose nor its Beauj.-Villages Nouveau. Binny's has the plain Duboeuf for $10, Whole Foods $11. Pricier than in years past, but still less than the $13-14 sugg. list.

A friend of mine who is ultra-progressive shamed me into giving up my unsweetened almond milk, saying it takes 100 gallons of water to grow one almond. She drinks oat milk, but that's even carbier than unfiltered cow's milk. She has decided to ditch dairy too (for digestive issues)--and disapproves of my choice of FairLife, even though Fair Oaks Dairy long ago fired the employees who were video'ed shoving cows into trucks (she probably objects because evil corporate Coca-Cola bought Fair Oaks). I had tried Organic Valley's version, which was wonderful, but is no longer sold or even made due to weak demand. Whole Foods has replaced it with Maple Hill "Zero-Sugar," but it has a weird viscous texture and slightly bitter-sour taste (even when fresh) when frothed for espresso--and the froth doesn't hold up as well as either oat milk or Blue Diamond Unsweetened Vanilla almond milk. It also has a much shorter shelf life than FairLife, despite being ultra-pasteurized.

So when I saw a billboard for "NotMilk," a pea-protein milk claiming it tastes & pours like dairy milk, I had to try it. It has fewer net carbs (4gm per cup) than FairLife, but it does have sugar. I tasted it straight, and at first thought "wow, this does taste like milk." But then noticed a strange aftertaste...like a weak pina colada. Checked the label, and sure enough "...contains less than 2% of cane sugar, pineapple juice concentrate..." It's ok in a cappuccino (especially if I add a little PicNik keto creamer), and maybe as a base for a low-carb colada (adding sugar-free Malibu coconut syrup and a tablespoon of white rum). So I needn't keep Oatly on hand for when my friend comes over for coffee. I found another pea-protein milk brand called Ripple, which comes unsweetened in both plain & vanilla, with <1 gm. net carb per cup. Will see how it froths.

• jazzygirl
    edited November 2021

Chi- yes, our governor is very progressive and was very aggressive when the pandemic hit and has been very strict the whole way. We are still manadatory masking here since the surge started this summer. And yes, she is revising the numbers to include the booster as considered vaccinated. I have been an early adopter the whole way through, vaxed early and booster as soon as I could get it.

We are still in crisis standard of care here and everyone is very worried things may only get worse with the holiday travel coming up. I am glad I the gov is opening it up to ensure everyone who is 18 or older has access to get the booster. We all got the vax early here (especially my hospital) as we were a pilot location for Pfizer so many are many months out from their initial shots in Dec to Jan. Right now we are close to 75% but that number will change soon. The public health folks think our numbers are bad because we all got vaxed earlier, but who knows? We are averaging over 1000 cases a day here and up to 25 deaths a day. I am tired of the pandemic too, and not looking forward to going into year 3 of this, but here we are.....

Goldie- I hope the family visiting will help you the next few days.

NM- your mom and the turkey, oiy! Those big turkey's are heavy. I hope your day together is nice and think you will be on break here shortly for the holiday. How is your program going?

Cami- if you are lurking, sending you much love this holiday season and hoping you spend some good time with family this weekend.

Okay that's it for now. Be back again soon!

• karen1956
    edited November 2021

Just lost my long post so copy/paste from another thread as too lazy to re-write it all.

Yesterday was 70 - I think it broke a record. Not as hot today. A little cooler tomorrow then back to the 60s. We've broken a record for the latest snow fall - so far none this season in Denver. The mountains have gotten a little.

Planned to dust today but managed to avoid it. Maybe tomorrow - when you can see the dust on the dresser its time!

Thanksgiving is just 3 - DH, me and DS. Turkey, cranberries, yams, stuffing, pecan and pumpkin pie (my son wants both). I like green bean casserole, but it would just be me eating it so decided not to make. Already planning what I'll do with the leftover turkey. We will eat Friday night the same as Thanksgiving, then will make turkey soup, or split pea and barley soup with turkey (using the carcass), make turkey pie, and then not sure......It's a 12 1/2# bird.

Lori - good news on being relatively stable. Glad you are sticking to meeting your needs regarding TG - really step daughter wanted you to cook a day early so she could take the leftovers. Regarding SIL - its a totally new event. He has an ulcer and has had for years. The doctors have scoped him from both ends and there is no active bleeding. It's possible that the ulcer was bleeding but so far no answers. Finally today he is off the liquid diet. Talk of him being discharged tomorrow or Thursday. DD is worn out - stressed out. I texted her to ask her a question and she said she could not focus as she couldn't get her water bottle open and breaking it seemed like the easiest option.

• goldie0827
    edited November 2021

BabyGirl, your situation is way different than mine. I don't like scans, and if I'm feeling ok, which I do, why bother? But thank you. I'm pleased and I'll take the report as good.

Sandy, it was Karen's SIL that had the scare.

Jazzy, hardly anyone here wears a mask, and we are getting 3000-4000 new cases a day and have had as many as 5000 in a day. Daily deaths are over 100. The kids helping, actually/usually ends up in more work for me.

Karen, I'm not a fan of the green bean casserole, I'll eat it, but not a big fan. I was going to have the oldest girl make it if they were going to eat with us, but they are eating at his moms. TG day on Wednesday so they could eat leftovers on Thursday, I don't think they intended to take any. Your poor baby girl. Well, she's your oldest, but they are always our babies. I hope she didn't have to break the bottle. Hopefully she just put it down and went back to it later. I'm going to see if I can find a good turkey tetrazinni to make. I have a 15 lb turkey. I would have gotten a larger one, but they didn't have any. The son in law is about to drive me nuts. He does not shut up. He even talks to himself and will answer. They laugh after every darned thing they say. The other 4 are masked, and the daughter is even double masked. So with all the comotion and talking, I can't understand any of them!

NM, I think you are off now for the rest of the week. I hope you and Ms Hound Dog (lol) are having a nice sleep in.

best thanksgiving cocktails

INGREDIENTS

SPICED CRANBERRY SYRUP

• 1 cup cranberry cocktail NOT pure cranberry juice
    • 1 cup cane sugar
    • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
    • ½ cup frozen or fresh cranberries

SPICED CRANBERRY ORANGE MARGARITAS

• 3 oz silver tequila
    • 2 oz Cointreau
    • 3 oz cranberry cocktail
    • oz lemon juice
    • 1 oz orange juice
    • 1 oz Spiced Cranberry Syrup
    • ice

TO GARNISH

• cinnamon sticks
    • frozen cranberries

• INSTRUCTIONSFirst, make the syrup. In a small saucepan, combine the cranberry cocktail, cane sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and cranberries. Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring to a strong simmer, stirring often. Once the cane sugar has dissolved and the cranberries are popping and splitting, remove the syrup from the heat. Run the syrup through a fine mesh strainer and press on the cranberries to extract their juice. Let the syrup cool before bottling and storing in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
    • Make the spiced cranberry orange margaritas. In a cocktail shaker, combine the tequila, Cointreau, cranberry cocktail, lemon juice, orange juice, and cranberry syrup. Top it up with lots of ice. Place the lid on the cocktail shaker tight and shake vigorously, until the outside of the shaker has condensation and feels very cold.
    • Strain the spiced cranberry orange margaritas over two glasses filled with ice. Garnish the beverages with cinnamon sticks and a few frozen cranberries.
  • nativemainer
    edited November 2021

Good morning, Loungettes!Happy Thanksgiving Eve! Got through the last day of school before break with out any major medical issues. One of the teachers had to move out of her room into the library due to fumes coming from the boiler room next door where something was going on that smelled pretty icky. Apparently it was a pretty easy fix, it didn't take the maintenance guys long to do it after they finally got the right part. Lots of shenanigans and high energy, but nothing too disruptive.

Got a call from my kid brother last evening. He's having a heart cath done this morning. Seems he was having some skin pain on his stomach, that pushed him to get set up with a primary provider, who saw him, did an ECG as part of the work up (brother is diabetic and now over 50), suggested he may have had a heart attack at some point. Cardiologist work up shows no physical signs of a heart attack but 4 partially blocked arteries, so cath this morning. The skin pain is probably neuropathy, so he'll be seeing a neurologist, too. So I'm waiting to hear how that turns out.

Anyway, waking up to sunny with a cold wind this ayem. Everything is frosted or frozen over. There must have been some critters in the yard last night, cuz Sadie spent quite a while sniffing around and acting like she was chasing something that I couldn't see. Now she's curled up in the recliner snoozing. Gotta love the dog's life!

Goldie--Glad to hear the DH is behaving better. So far no kiddos in my school testing positive. Of course, several families do not test their kiddos, just keep them home for 10 days and then send them back. Considering how many of them are relatives or knows close contacts of kiddos who have tested positive at the sister school, some of them most likely are positive, but we'll never know for sure without a test. Glad to hear the scans and tests are essentially stable, if not a little better. Kind of self-centered of the kids to want TG dinner today so to have leftovers tomorrow, to my mind. I hope they plan to help cook and clean up, at least.

Morning, Illi!

Chi--my mind boggles at the variety of non-milk milks out there and how they taste and behave differently. 100 gallons of water to grow one almond? That is just amazing to my mind. How much rain needs to fall on one almond tree growing wild to meet that demand? Mother Nature can pull off some amazing things!

Jazzy--break starts today, from both work school and my program. Worked out that the last class ended on Tuesday, next class starts in a couple of weeks. So 5 whole days of total break time! Yup, those turkeys are heavy, and Mom has one shoulder replacement and multiple surgeries on the other shoulder and just does not have the upper body strength she used to. COVID cases, hospitalizations, deaths and ICU admits are all going up here in Maine, too, even with a high vax rate. Here we have pockets of low vaccinations rates, and those are the areas with the high transmission rates, but breakthrough infections are starting to climb in those areas too. Unfortunately, the school I work at is right in the middle of one of those pockets. And being an economically disadvantaged area parents are worried about keeping their jobs and losing work time, and now businesses are not allowing workers to leave work or take time off for anything other than COVID. Had a sick kiddo in my office all day Monday, tested negative for COVID, so mom couldn't leave work, no one else available to pick up and take care of the child. Where is this going to end up???

Karen--Glad the bleeding stopped for SIL. It must be so hard for DD, it takes a lot of stress to get to the point of breaking the water bottle instead of opening it. Sending her hugs and prayers. A 12# bird will provide lots of leftovers! I really love my Mom's turkey rice soup that she makes with leftovers.

pumpkin pie sangria

Pumpkin Pie Sangria

Ingredients

1 bottle white wine, chilled

1 bottle sparkling cider, chilled

1/2 c. pumpkin pie vodka

1 pear, chopped

1 apple, chopped

1/4 c. sugar

1/2 tsp. pumpkin spice

Cinnamon sticks, for garnish

Directions

1. On a small shallow plate, combine sugar and pumpkin spice and mix to combine. Rim glasses with a piece of apple and dip glasses into mixture. Set aside.
    2. In a large pitcher, combine wine with cider and pumpkin pie vodka. Add chopped fruit and stir to combine. Pour into glasses and garnish with a cinnamon stick.

From <https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a56371/pumpkin-pie-sangria-recipe/>

• karen1956
    edited November 2021

Brrrrr its cold today after 71 past 2 days. I met a gf to walk at 9 and when we were done 1 1/2 hours or so later it was colder. Grey sky like midwest and back east. Tomorrow it is supposed to warm up. Heating up split pea and barley soup from the freezer for lunch. There is ground beef chili in the frig that DS made and I suggested it to DH for dinner, but he likes my first suggestion of chicken fried rice with leftover boneless chicken breasts that I made for DS.

No updates on SIL yet today. Don't want to bother DD. I think I'll text SIL to see how he is today. DD got the water bottle open. I just think that DD is worn out and too much as been going on over the past year.

Been shoving junk in my face - its got to stop!!! Of course I've been saying that for a couple weeks.

Have a good TG eve and TG day.

• chisandy
    edited November 2021

Lori, I stand corrected. Karen, I hope your SIL gets answers (and good ones, at that).

Warmed uo to 50 today but on the verge of rain. Tomorrow will start out about 40 and take a nosedive during the day. Last night's DsOTD were a 2019 Jean Dumont Sancerre and a 2017 Chanson Burgundy (Pinot Noir). I had asked the waitress to pour my by-the-glass-size portion of the red into a larger crystal glass (one of the ones that people who order a full bottle get) so I could swirl & sniff it (they use a smaller, thicker-rim plain glass for their by-the-glass reds). She brought me a double pour. Even though I didn't finish my Sancerre (gave half the glass to Bob), I was still quite tipsy by the time I got home. At my age, I seem to have a lower "tolerance" for alcohol--like my mom after 70, I'm a "cheap date."

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 944
    edited November 2021

Lurking a bit and enjoying everyone's updates. Thinking of dear Cami. Lori I am like you in that I don't like drama/commotion which seems to happen when certain family gets together. In those cases it's good to see them but good to say goodby. We go to a small but likely noisy family gathering tomorrow. DH will be ready to leave before desert 😉

Finally was able to schedule a flu shot in December. They are a bit hard to get around here right now.

DH and I went out for Italian for dinner to a nice local place. DOTD was one we found at another local, authentic Italian restaurant. Delish!

• goldie0827
    edited November 2021

NM, glad the last day of school went smoothly. Sorry to hear about your brother, I hope all turns out ok.

Karen, good idea to text SIL instead of DD. I hope he able to go home soon, if not already.

Sandy, lol at being a cheap date!

Lurk away Reader!

Still no help from the kids, they sit and eat all day and watch tv. I worked outside all day. Picking up irrigation lines and I spread 20 bags of manure. Dug up some weeds. When I was done DD asks if I need help. However it would have been her husband and not her. She does nothing, he does everything, he waits on her hand and foot. He does not shut up, talks during whatever is on tv and even answers himself. They talk like hillbillies to each other or in baby voices. I'm about to pull my hair out! The other DD and her DH came around 2, did not bring the kids. This husband did rototil my garden, but the belt broke before he finished.

Cranberry Sauce Still Lurking In The Fridge?

Cranberry Sauce Cocktail

• 1 1/2 ounces cranberry sauce coctail syrup
    • 1 1/2 ounces gin
    • 1/2 ounce cranberry liqueur

Combine all the ingredients in a shaker, add ice and shake vigorously, then strain into an ice-filled rocks glass to serve. Garnish with a candied cranberry rosemary or mint skewer, if desired.