Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

how about drinking?

Comments

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited February 2022

Thanks again Karen, I think sometimes just writing it helps. Looking forward to the warmer weather mid week. I have all my tax stuff turned in.

NM, WELCOME BACK! We've missed you! Great ketchup post and I love all the pictures. Of course seeing TinkerBell, makes me think of Stella! Sorry about the cold you came back to and glad you just vegged yesterday. LOL "part time husband"!

Good morning to everyone else.

I will be going to Moab beginning of April and then I decided to go to MI in May for Nora's first birthday on Cinco de Mayo. I think I have my times worked out around my treatments, provided I stay on the same one. TM's continue to sky rocket, but I don't feel any different!

DOTD: Part Time Lover

Ingredients

• 1 ½ oz. blanco tequila
    • ½ oz. aperol
    • ½ oz. elderflower liqueur
    • ¾ oz. lemon juice
    • 2 dashes angostura bitters
    • orange peel for garnish
    Place in a shaker. Add all the ingredients. Shake for 30 to 45 seconds. Pour over ice and garnish with an orange peel.
  • lalbo
    lalbo Member Posts: 68
    edited February 2022

Good morning everyone! I'm getting over a cold. Ugh! At least my nose is no longer stuffy. Now I have the post nasal drip cough. Fun times! I did have a glass of bourbon, they say that's good for a cough. I don't know but I'll try it! ;-)

Our weather turned "cold" again. Rollercoaster!

I have elderflower essence:

I've been wanting to make a cocktail with it.

Linda

• goldie0827
    edited February 2022

Whatcha gonna make Lalbo?

May be an image of drink and text that says 'I'm doing a 3 day NO ALCOHOL challenge February 29, 30 and 31. Who wants to join me?'

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,972
    edited February 2022

Music for our times

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305
    edited February 2022

That's great Goldie. I'll raise my glass to that & join you.

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 581
    edited March 2022

Jazzy, love this song. Amazing how they can put it all together. Thanks for sharing.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited March 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Twofer Tuesday! First day back at work was moderately eventful. I found out, indirectly, that the school nurse position I applied for had already been filled, but I found another position in the same district on the Soliant site, so I'm pretty sure I will be able to stay in the district, at least. I also found out my application never got to the central office over break, if it's still in the 'going to Central Office' bin today I'll take it over myself after work. I listened/watched the School Board meeting last night, lots of discussion about masking, etc, final vote is to stop contact tracing as of today, allow masks to come off during outdoor recess as of today, going masks optional on the 7th if the county is still in yellow status, now being determined by hospitalization rates and available beds and resources. Pool testing will continue through the end of the school year, with PreK starting to be included as of the 14th. While I'm looking forward to not doing contact tracing, I'm not looking forward to the reaction when parents find out that they will only be getting a generic "a person associated with X School has tested positive for COVID-19." Why does change have to be so hard?

My cousin's hubby got himself sunburnt on Sunday, now he's "reverted back to my natural German white with lots of peeling" status. I say that's appropriate punishment for having a week more vacation than I had!

Karen--a lot of schools here in Maine are ending universal masking as of today. Maine doesn't have a mask mandate, so each district is making its own decisions. I'm still wondering about the why wear masks on Monday Feb 28th but not on Tuesday March 1st, but whatever. The line has to be drawn somewhere,I guess.

Goldie--I thought of Stella, too, from time to time while on vacay, and everything I saw Tinkerbelle. Sounds like you have some good travel plans. I hope it all works out.

Lalbo--sometimes I think the getting over a cold is worse than the cold itself! I hate that post-nasal drip cough. If the bourbon doesn'thelp with the cough directly, it at least makes you not care so much about it!

Goldie--I'm on board!No Alcohol for Feb 29, 30, and 31st!Hurry up March 1st!

Jazzy--great clip, thanks for posting.

Minus--I agree!

Morning, Misty!

Peace Train

Ingredients

Directions

• Shake all ingredients well with ice in a cocktail shaker.
    • Strain into a chilled cocktail glass and serve.

From <http://www.completecocktails.com/Drinks/PeaceTrain.aspx>

• goldie0827
    edited March 2022

Jazzy, great video. Listened to it a couple of times and read some of the comments. I have album on a CD, loved Cat Stevens back in the day. Maybe I'll get it out and listen to it today.

NM, they are lifting mask mandates everywhere. My step DD informed me that CA is lifting masks inside the schools. It will be interesting to see where we are in a month. Sorry about things on the job front, I think you will fit in somewhere! You're too good not to! Ha ha " I say that's appropriate punishment for having a week more vacation than I had!"

I booked my trip to MI, so I have Moab first of April and MI first of May. Gives me something to look forward to!

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited March 2022

Morning gals! Have any of you had problems logging in? MAN! I couldn't figure out what went wrong! Is this all new, or is it just ME? This whole site changed, and I just couldn't figure it out yesterday! I just got up.... 2:00a/m, to see if I could figure it out!

Guess it's all different, and thankfully, I could log-in, because my pw was saved!

Maybe I should start drinking, right? Hah! Then I could figure it out!

Worked around our yard & gardens yesterday.... snow is melting pretty fast.... just in time for another storm Friday.

• nativemainer
    edited March 2022

Good Morning,Loungettes! Happy Hump Day! Still waiting for the results of Monday's pool testing results at school, the samples are now marked "received" which is a good sign. Sometimes results come in right after the "received" update, sometimes it still takes a couple of days. Somuch for the 24 to 48 hour results reporting time promised in the beginning. It's now up to 72 hours from the time the lab receives the samples.Which means we are getting a lot more "indeterminate" results, as the tests aren't getting run within 72 hours of the sample being collected, and thus aren't reliable. Sigh. Students and parents are pretty excited to get rid of masking, teachers are more worried and concerned for themselves and their families. One poor teacher has had to delay surgery due to COVID after needing to have it moved up from this summer, she is really on pins and needles about potential complications.

Cousin and Hubby are still enjoying Florida. I'm still jealous.

Goldie--It will be interesting to see how things pan out with the great unmasking. Good for you for having a couple of trips planned!

Chevy--it looks like the layout has been changed, I saw a mention somewhere of BCO moving to a new platform. I'm not sure I like the new look, but I usually do not like new looks of things and managed to get used to them after a bit.

Galaxy Magic Moscow Mule Cocktail, purple and blue cocktail in glass mug. Limes, jigger and flowers in background

Ingredients

Magic Blue Ice

• 8 flowers of Butterfly Pea Flower Tea
    • 2 cups hot water

Galaxy Magic Moscow Mule

• 2 ounces vodka
    • .50 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
    • 4-6 ounces ginger beer
    • crushed ice
    • Crushed "Magic Blue Ice"

Instructions

For the Galaxy Magic Mule

Partially fill the mug with crushed clear ice.

Top with crushed Magic Blue Ice.

Add lime juice.

Add vodka.

Add ginger beer.

Top with additional Magic Blue Ice.

For the Magic Blue Ice

Add hot water to the Butterfly Pea Flowers.

Allow to steep for 3-4 minutes.

Strain out flowers.

Pour into ice cube trays and freeze.

Crush ice and use in cocktail.

From <https://www.gastronomblog.com/the-galaxy-magic-mule-a-vodka-moscow-mule/>

• goldie0827
    edited March 2022

Oh boy, not liking this new format at all. Hopefully this isn't how it's going to stay! Biggest complaints, too bright/white, small font and slow. Also, I do not see my avatar, but I can see others. Pictures posted are HUGE.

ED, it's not you, but you can still drink Loopy.

NM, Sorry about the pool testing taking so long, gheesh!

I was having some trouble with the font too. I use a laptop and by pressing Ctrl and + it gets bigger. Ctrl and - will take it back.

• lalbo
    edited March 2022

NM - that's one of the prettiest drinks I've seen. Heart

I think part of the problem with the new site is that the font is a gray color and not black. That messes with my eyes big time.

• Chevyboy
    edited March 2022

Oh MAN! I'm so glad it's not just me, Hah! Going to be beautiful today.... been picking up in the yard, and moving things around.... I can hardly wait until SPRING!!! Heart

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited March 2022

Re the new format: I REALLY do not like it, especially since the browser on my Kindle is not currently supported! Also, way too white and way too much white space. Agree with slow, also! Visibility of avatar appears to be hit and miss--Jazzy's is cut off with the circle format. Looks like lots of fine tuning needs to be done. I was happy with the "old", recently revised format but oh, well.

• Chevyboy
    edited March 2022

Yeah, I hear ha! Hope it gets straightened out pretty soon.... Sounds like we all are having the same trouble~

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited March 2022

Chevy - not just you. I DO NOT like this new format. I'm thinking of messaging the moderators. Seems like none of us don't like it. Maybe all of us should who are unhappy with the new "look"

74F today - record high - will be in the 70s the next couple days then cooling off and maybe snow.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited March 2022

I DETEST this new format--what was wrong with the old one? Tiny font, blinding white space. Even the icons in the edit bar above the reply box are extremely tiny.

Sun., when we went out to Shaw's Crab House for their Mardi Gras menu, I nursed a flute of Charles de Fere Brut throughout the meal. Mon. night I had a couple oz. of FitVine Pinot Noir with my salmon; and glass of milk in the wee hours with my carb-cheats, decided not to take Arthritis Tylenol. Big mistaks--awoke with a sore back, so took an Aleve and then had my coffee. Bigger mistake--my gut was turning cartwheels all day and my temp began rising. Rapid-tested, negative. Went to Urgent Care to find out what was going on--I had defrosted the salmon in its vacuum packaging and though there were still some ice crystals when I took it out to cook, Dr. Google (I know, I know) suggested seeking immediate medical care to rule out botulism. The NP assured me that if I had a foodborne illness my body would violently try to reject the offending food--and that wasn't happening. They also said that despite there being a new Omicron variant, BA.2, they would not PCR test me because it was only 30 days since my last one and I could PCR-test positive for up to 90 days. They didn't think it was flu either, because my fever was too low and I had no joint or muscle aches. So they settled on "viral gastritis," with advice to go home, take Tylenol until my temp is normal, push fluids (water or Pedialyte), and eat a "BRAT diet:" banana, rice, applesauce, toast. Well, seeing as how I've had practically no appetite (I tried a half of a small paczki, which felt like I was trying to eat an entire cake), and the thought of the smell of raw bananas makes me hurl.... All I've had to drink is water, and one small shot of espresso this morning to cure my caffeine-withdrawal headache.

Still no appetite. This is not the way I'd prefer to fit into one of those dresses!

• chisandy
    edited March 2022

Oh, and pages load EXTREMELY slowly too! I'm staying off the site till they fix it.

• nativemainer
    edited March 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy Thirsty Thursday! Got an unexpected day off today, it snowed overnight, so school was originally delayed for 2 hours, just now a message came across that school is closed due to snowy back roads. Traditional snow day due to not sending 1:1 devices (aka, laptops and tablets) home with kiddos yesterday. Seems odd to be looking a snow day with the sun breaking through the clouds and brightening everything up.There must have been quite a bit more snow along the coast, I haven't even gotten enough to warrant plowing the driveway.

The big good news is the pool tests all came back NEGATIVE again this week!

Goldie--I'm not crazy about the new look either. Too plain, too much white space, do need to increase the display size to read comfortably. I'm not too worried about finding a job for the next school year. I'm working on getting my state certification as a school nurse (didn't have to have it due to COVID emergency when I was hired) and that will put me a step ahead of other applicantswhen it goes through, but, of course, it is currently taking 6 weeks or more to process. Sigh. I saw a mention on the log in page that the loading times should get better as the new system gets going. I sure hope so.

Lalbo--good point about the font color!Dark grey on white is not a good choice. The heading info--where our avatars and joined/posts data is shown is in black and much easier to read.

Morning, Chevy! No yard work going on here except some moving of snow off the deck!

Beaver--I'm seeing the same avatar issues. Most avatars are just a letter now.

Karen--I'm going to message the moderators and ask for the avatars back and posts showing in black, make the other stuff gray if they want, but leave the posts black.

Chi--Yikes, what a time you are having! I hope you feel better soon.

• goldie0827
    edited March 2022

Lalbo, I think that font messes with all of our eyes!

ED, I'm with you, I can't wait for spring. Nice here yesterday and today, a perfect 70!

Beaver, you would think they would have the new format all worked out before launching it. I know when I worked on our website, I waited until I was done and it looked right before I published it.

Karen, I would be shocked to hear if anyone liked this new format! Your weather is similar to ours right now.

Sandy, hoping you are feeling better.

For the website, The Great White! Not related to the shark.

See the source image

1 ½ fluid ounces vodka

1 fluid ounce white cranberry juice

½ fluid ounce triple sec

¼ fluid ounce lime juice

1 cup ice

3 drops grenadine syrup (Optional)

Combine vodka, cranberry juice, triple sec, and lime juice in a cocktail shaker. Add ice; cover and shake. Strain into a cocktail glass. Add grenadine to drink, which will sink to the bottom.

• chisandy
    edited March 2022

Feeling much better--was definitely a tummy bug (food intolerance doesn't cause fever). Funny how near-fasting for almost 48 hrs. can reset the appetite (and motivation not to cheat). I have no desire now to snack late at night.

DOTD will probably be a little FitVine Sauv. Blanc with roast chicken & veg.

• nativemainer
    edited March 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes!

Happy TGIF day! I took the plunge yesterday and put in an application for a couple of husky mix puppies up for adoption. Now I've got to take pics of the house and yard and send them in to meet the home inspection bit. So that's this weekend's big plans. We'll see what happens next.

Rescue Charlie's Friends Dog Rescue

Rescue Charlie's Friends Dog Rescue

I did email the moderators about the new layout, and got a response this ayem! They are focusing on getting the new software up and running properly for everyone, next they will be looking at readability--I mentioned the white space, the gray font needs to be black, the font needs to be bigger, bringing back the avatars to add some color. So let's give them some time, it sounds like they are aware of the issues and have a plan.

I have an appointment this afternoon to have my fingerprints taken, part of the background check to get a state certification to work as a school nurse, and of course, today is Dr. Suess Day and I am going to school dressed at Thing 1. This should be interesting!

2 degrees below the donut this ayem. Brrrrr..

Goldie--you would think they would work from the look of the final product before launching a new software/program. At least they are aware of the issues. Love the Great White drink!

Chi--glad to hear the tummy bug has passed. Those can be pretty uncomfortable.

• Chevyboy
    edited March 2022

MAN! I give up.... It is so hard to try and just log in! I can DO it, after I jump through hoops that never used to be there!

PLEASE Mods, can't we just go back to the way it was? It's like "Let's see how we can screw up this whole forum, and make these gals WORK to not only FIND our forum that we have set up for the last million years, but let's change the whole format! And OH! Take away their Avatar's! De-personalize everything they were used to!

Make the print harder to read... after all, they are paying for nothing.... They met here to talk about their experience with breast-cancer... and meet new friends.... Big deal.

Geez! I'm 84, and things are hard enough!

• Chevyboy
    edited March 2022

Our AVATAR'S showed up! DAMN! Reach for the moon gal! Okay let's go back to the way it was.... okay?

• goldie0827
    edited March 2022

Oh NM, what cuties. Do you have pictures of the parents? I like Ottowa, his/her color. I'm sure the mods have been bombarded with complaints. I just often wonder, why can't you just leave well enough alone! And that applies to many things!

ED, I can hear Cami commenting on you "Jumping through hoops"! can see everyone elses avatar, but not mine.

Allergy season is here, and wreaking havok on me. Windy today with wind gusts 50. Trees look like they are fire when it blows all that pollen. Cleaned the inside of my FJ yesterday, taking it in next Friday for a major tune up. Need it to be safe. My BIL, who is a master mechanic for Toyota said to do that and he didn't recommend buying a car right now, not a good time. I need to feel safe when driving all the long distances I do. May have to break down and take some allergy meds today, sneezing like crazy, even in the house and turn on the air purifier!

• lalbo
    edited March 2022

NM - those are the cutest puppies!!

Goldie - we are waiting to put out our outdoor furniture cushions until the pollen season is over. Our back deck turns green and I know what you mean about the trees and the pollen. My head hurts just thinking about it! Winking

Looking forward to a nice relaxing weekend. Probably a trip to the liquor store is in order. Our cabinet is bare.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,972
    edited March 2022

Hi ladies- I don't like the new web page either. Not intuitive to navigate nor are my favorites easy to get to or links that open quickly. Hopefully they will get the web designer firm to fix what needs fixing. As an IT person, I can say rolling out new changes are often fraught with problems, but hopefully things will get better with feedback to the moderators.

Been really busy with work and more coming at me. We keep having people resign too, which is par for the course in the Great Resignation. Keeping my head above water but told my boss I cannot make some of this okay. They really need me so they are being nice to me, lol.

Glad to be in to March as it's always the beginning of our long spring here. It's been close to 70 degrees every day this week and been walking after work and enjoying the warmer spring like air and beautiful sunsets. I love to watch the fruit trees nearby that are about to bloom, our first of months of the unfolding of spring. In another week, we get our evening light back. Probably my favorite part of March.

Gotta get back to work and wishing everyone a good weekend. I am nursing a nice bottle of red wine on the weekends, but think tonight is a martini night.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,925
    edited March 2022

Our cupboard is bare which means I have to endure shopping with DH today. He has been binging on sugar and is like a locust going through the house looking for it. I would love to get to Costco and buy big jars of junk food. Candy is expensive! Yesterday I met with my book club for lunch. When I got home I noticed he had on his outdoor shoes and asked why. He said he had walked to a store. I asked if it was the closest one and he said no, he'd gone the other direction. I don't know of any stores in that direction. There's a dentist and a cleaners, but no store.

Chevy, I know what you mean. First I have to search around for how to sign in. Then search again for my favorites. I don't know why sign in can't been on the first screen like it used to be. I'm hoping it improves soon. Right now it's a lot of work.

Sympathies for all the pollen. We're not that far into spring yet. We have gigantic poplar trees in our back yard. In the spring they have cat tails that stain things purple (not permanently thank goodness. They are limp a soggy from the rain and icky to pick up.

NM, Those puppies are adorable. I wonder what the other part of the mix is. It might give you an idea of how large they will get. There's a group here that raises huskies and has races and gives rides. My friend has a team of rescued Siberians and enjoys them no end. They are house dogs and the house was built to accommodate them. One summer was so smoky they bought a house at the beach and remodeled to make it dog friendly. They run on the sand there.

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 581
    edited March 2022

OH, NM those puppies are so adorable. We are having the pollen here too, and it is awful. It's just a mess all the time. I will be happy to have longer day light and being retired I really don't feel the lost hour so much. I see the avatars, except Goldie's is missing. I have 2 granddaughters here tonight and our drink was 1/2 cream soda/pop, 1/2 orange soda/pop, with a scoop vanilla ice cream. It was good, like a cream cycle.

Hope you all have a good week-end.

• goldie0827
    edited March 2022

Good morning my fellow loungettes! I thinked I sneezed over 1000 times yesterday, oy vey! Finally sucumbed into allergy meds.

Lalbo, you just can't have bare cabinets! Unless you are Old Mother Hubbard!

Jazzy, glad they like you at work, but not right to overload you because others are resigning.

Wren, that almost sounds scary if your DH went in the other direction and there is no store that way.

Misty, I thought maybe I was the only one that couldn't see my avatar. Sounds like a fun time with the grands and your DOTD.

NM, if you do get the puppy, when will you get him/her?

I'm unsure about what to do with a medical bill from an infusion my DH had 2 cycles of. The bill is $800, and I know before he started it, he asked many times if it was going to cost us. The answer was always no. Not "well it might cost something", it was a no. And I know he had been arguing with them over that. That's not right to tell someone it's not going to cost you anything and then they charge you for it. I think it was more, like a few thousand and they brought it down to $800. I certainly don't want to take something like this to court, for such a small amount. Thoughts?