Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

how about drinking?

Comments

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,972
    edited July 2022

Good morning friends- just a quick hello to you all and thanks for all the compliments on the pictures. I thought you might enjoy them. I had a very good (and busy week) visiting the east coast, and some good family time and saw a few friends too. i always miss the shore in the summer as our family spent a lot of time during my youth. I also got to see most of my cousins from one family at the memorial service for one of the siblings. A sad but healing gathering for all I believe.

No problems with travel, only one slight delay coming back but made my connection just fine. I came home POOPED and made yesterday an easy day with some unpacking, watering of the yard, laundry and lots of naps. I was glad to be able to sleep in my own bed again!

Back to work today and read e-mail last night and not a lot fortunately. Holiday weeks tend to be lighter with meetings, work, etc. plus we just met one of our big deadlines right before I left. One of my colleagues messaged me on Friday we are all getting a 4% raise effective this month. That is something nice to come back to, whoot!

Just wanted to say hi to everyone before I disappear again for a bit (lots of digging out from being away a week plus). Sending much love and healing thoughts to Goldie too and hoping no extra cancer is found sister.

Have a good week all.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited July 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Twofer Tuesday! Yesterday was a good day at work, I got a large backlogged process caught up, and that feels really good. I've been asked if I would go to the Akron, Ohio office for a week of training, so now I've got to work on finding a kennel for the puppers. The Clinical Manager at that office is the go-to person, she's been doing it for years and is "phenomenal" at the job and at teaching the job. I really hope I can make this work out, I'd love to get a comprehensive orientation to the role, which is hard to get right now with so much to get caught up and so much work needed to stay on top of things.

Jazzy--Wow, what a nice surprise to come home to! Good for you guys! Have fun digging out after being away!

Surprise Me Cocktail

2 oz of Cranberry Juice

1 oz of Absolut vodka

1/2 oz of Captain Morgan spiced rum

1 splash of Triple Sec

1 oz of dekuyper sour apple pucker schnapps

Pour all ingredients into a shaker with ice cubes. shake, pour into highball glass, serve. Ice can be added to the highball glass to serve it on the rocks.

From <https://www.cocktailbuilder.com/recipe/surprise-me>

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited July 2022

Kim - hope the Akron trip/training works out. Not that Akron is the place to be, but the training sounds like a great opportunity.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited July 2022

Lori, hope the kidney is something relatively minor & easily treated, and that the hip is just wear & tear. Kim, I know that Akron is not exactly a "happening vacation spot" (I've only stayed there once overnight en route to the DC area), but if you'll be occupied most of the time with training it shouldn't matter. Will you be flying or driving?

Found out yesterday I'll need a lumbar spine MRI to determine just which soft tissue structures are involved and so which nerves are likely being impinged by those nasty vertebral spurs. The ortho explained that's how she can determine where to administer the cortisone/lidocaine shots, because unlike like with my hip bursitis 7 years ago an ultrasound wouldn't be specific enough. (One doesn't fart around so near the spinal cord).

We're going down to the dealership first thing in the morning to trade in the Fusion, pick up the Tucson, and have the service dept. pair our phones via Bluetooth and show Bob how to work Apple CarPlay (especially the maps). Turns out Siri works with Apple Maps in CarPlay (Bob will have to enable Location Services on his phone...sigh, I mean *I* will have to go into Settings to do that for him), and when the map is on screen the compass direction is in the upper right corner. Won't mess with the new CD player, as he will have enough to deal with driving the new car down to his office in Hickory Hills. (We're tag-teaming, with me in my Outback--no way am I spending an arm & a leg getting a taxi or rideshare from Bronzeville back up here 13 miles to Edgewater, nor futzing around with a 4-block walk to the commuter rail station and then transfering to the CTA).

DsOTD was a breve cappuccino made with Dark Matter (local roaster) Unicorn Blood espresso; with dinner, 2018 Stillman St. Sonoma County Chardonnay (partly-oaked). It was okay but nothing spectacular. (Bargain bin at Costco). Speaking of Costco, $5.09/gal. at the one in Niles (2/3 tank). Previous tank 3 wks ago at a BP in Mt. Prospect was $5.95; Jun.11, at a Circle K in Morris, $5.28. I don't buy gas w/in Chicago city limits (espec. not Lincoln Park) if I can help it. But Bob did spend $5.69/gal at our neighborhood Shell, for just enough gas to get him down to the dealership. He said it reminded him of that plug-in Santa Fe hybrid commercial ("Now, free squeegee?").

• nativemainer
    edited July 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Hump Day! We are having a run of wonderful weather. I spent a lovely evening on the deck with the puppers, a good book and a glass of sparkling rose.

You know how kitties will chase a laser light around? Well, Colt was chasing a reflection off my iPad around on the deck last evening, and then he was chasing the spots of sunlight that filtered through the trees and moved in the wind! It was so funny to watch him trying to catch the lights!

Karen--I'm working on making the Akron trip work, started checking out kennels yesterday. I think I've found the one I want to use. I've used them before and they are very good, and have video so I can see the puppers if I can get them into the Presidential Suite.

Chi--I suspect I'll be flying, it's a 13 hour drive from my part of Maine to Akron. It will be for intensive training, so I won't need any more entertainment than my iPad. I wouldn't think you'd want to mess around so close to the spinal cord. The MRI sounds like a good idea. Don't you just love being the techy person in the house?

LASER BEAM

Ingredients

1 oz Southern Comfort® peach liqueur

1/2 oz amaretto almond liqueur

1/2 oz sloe gin

1/2 oz vodka

1/2 oz triple sec

7 oz orange juice

Preparation & Instructions:

Combine all liquors in a collins glass filled with ice. Shake well. Garnish with an orange and a cherry.

From <https://www.crystalmixer.com/laser-beam-recipe/>

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited July 2022

Well, nurologist wants to send me for some nuclear test on the kidneys, so I have to wait for them to call and schedule me for that. Not only is the top of my right hip hurting, but I also have a rib on my right side that hurts and is uncomfortable when I lay on that side. I'm pretty sure this is bone pain starting, as I have cancer in the ribs and hips. Oh well, I guess it's going to happen at some point.

Babygirl, is that 9-11 hours one way? And aren't you on Enhurtu? MO wants to maybe make that my next line of treatment. Good luck to you on your travels and treatment.

Karen, it was 115 in Phoenix! How are things going for your trip? I hope ok and no changes.

Jazzy, sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Congrats on the raise!

NM, if you go to OH, do you know when it will be? Why not have mom watch the kids!!!! Just kidding of course!

Sandy, good luck with your MRI and the car.

• nativemainer
    edited July 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Thirsty Thursday! Not much new and different going on right now, which is a good thing. I am enjoying the beautiful weather in the evenings, kind of looking forward to some thunderbumpers this afternoon. The puppers are doing well, too.

Goldie--if I do go to OH it will be sometime quite soon. Right now I just need to get kennel reservations set up for the puppers. Yeah, I can just see Mom trying to manage the puppers! No way she could manage them, even if she would agree to! How are you feeling about the nuclear testing on the kidneys? I'm sure the rib and hip pain is problematic, be sure and mention it to your docs, the pain can be managed.

Good Morning to everyone else in the HTL!

Orange drinks on a tray

Orange Thunder

Ingredients

• 4 shots of clementine vodka (or plain vodka)
    • 2 shots of triple sec
    • 1 orange (juice of)
    • 1 can of orange soda (or sprite, ginger ale)
    • orange slices (optional)

Instructions

1. Fill two glasses with ice, halfway full.
    2. To each glass add 2 shots of clementine vodka, 1 shot of triple sec, the juice of half an orange, and 1/2 of a can of orange soda.
    3. Stir. Top with some orange slices and enjoy!

From <https://www.milehighmitts.com/orange-thunder/>

• goldie0827
    edited July 2022

Well poop NM, I was hoping, maybe, just maybe, you would be going in Sept. when I would be in MI. I would have driven out to see you. I think you will be about 3 hours from Mary. I just thought it was funny to mention mom to babysit! I'm sure you wouldn't even want her too! I remember you taking Sadie to that one where you can watch on video.

The pain is not so bad that I need anything yet. More annoying than anything. No, more scary than anything! I'm ok with the nuclear testing, have them for my bones. I'm pretty sure this new pain will prompt the change in treatment. Not looking forward to that.

• karen1956
    edited July 2022

Lori - I'm sorry to hear that you are in pain. Hoping the test results are better than you are thinking they would be. All went well with the flights - except leave Denver, our flight left 2 hours late - all after we boarded. Traffic slowed the departure from gate, then lightening strike shut down the ramp, then backed up traffic to leave the gate and once we left the gate long line for runway. We didn't arrive till midnight then it took an hour to get our luggage. We didn't want DD to drive to airport at 1:00am so took a taxi. Got to her house and didn't get to bed to 2:00am. Up at 8:00. Ran a couple errands with her, then off to the airport. From time we left airport to returning was 12 hours and half were sleeping!!!! At least we'll have 5 days with DD and SIL in 3 weeks. Second part of trip was uneventful but long. The row behind us only had one person so I told the kid at the window thinking he would move - but nope, he was happy to be 3 in a row with his window seat. DD#2 met us at the apartment for dinner last night. It was great to see hear and get one of her big hugs. We will spend Shabbat together then take her to her apt Sunday morning and we will head north for 4 days of vacationing. She is busy with finals.

Kim - when is the business trip? Glad you found a kennel you like.

• chisandy
    edited July 2022

Lori, sending healing & reassuring vibes your way. Like Kim said, pain can be managed.

Akron is pretty close to the PA state line, from what I recall. (Between eastern Cleveland & Youngstown)? Depends on where in MI you'll be--if it's in the Detroit area, or along the very southern part of MI along the OH state line, 3 hrs. sounds a bit right...for a lead-footed driver with a radar detector.

We picked up the car yesterday, and the salesman showed us how to pair our phones to Bluetooth & "phonw projection" for Apple CarPlay. To our chagrin, for 2022 they dropped the compass from the rear view mirror in the SEL Convenience package trim (casualty of the chip shortage)? We can buy an aftermarket mirror with the compass from Hyundai's site, but I think a dashboard compass (or, more practically, AppleMaps' onscreen map with the little superimposed arrow orienting toward "north" may be sufficient. He drove it to his office--reporting that it erroneously thought the address was the Taco Bell in the same strip mall (my HK says her nav system did exactly the same). The dealership used its Lyft account to get me a ride home...in a Mercedes. Tonight it was my turn to drive to dinner, and it was very smooth. Got 38.8 mpg for the trip--amazing, considering that overall it's a bit larger than my Outback, which gets only 27. My phone paired to CarPlay right away.

Got Heidi her mani-pedi today, and not a second too late--as her "old-lady nails," as the vet once said, were ingrowing again. (Heidi's 17). I was advised to bring her in every 4 weeks...just like for my mani-pedis.

Last night we killed off the Stillman St. Chardonnay with fish I grilled. Tonight, at Mon Ami Gabi (happy Bastille Day!) DOTD was Marquis de la Tour Brut.

• goldie0827
    edited July 2022

Wait a minute Karen. You mean you've left and are back already? I was thinking you hadn't even left yet!

Sandy, I had already Googled the distance from my brother's to Akron, but Kim will be going soon, if she goes. I won't be in MI until mid Sept. 38 mpg is awesome!

I have an "on demand" hot water heater, and since we have very hard water, you have to run vinegar through it. Supposed to be done every 4 months, but since it's only me now, I will do it every 6 months. Took me a couple of hours.

• karen1956
    edited July 2022

Lori - we left Denver on the 12th. I was describing the mess with the flights. Good luck with your appointments this week.

• nativemainer
    edited July 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes! It was my turn to have log on problems with BCO the last few days. I couldn't get past the log in no matter what I tried, different browsers, different devices, nothing worked. Glad to see it's working this ayem!

A few minutes after 7 Thursday ayem. Just getting ready to leave for work, when I heard Zoe give out some serious "ouch" yelps. I ran out to the yard thinking they were fighting, and found both of them covered with porcupine quills, and Colt carrying this big ol' quill pig in his mouth away from Zoe! I had to convince Colt to put it down, then wrangle the 2 of them into car. Called the emergency vet, they were just closing for the day, opening up again at 5:30 peeyem. Called my vet, the receptionist couldn't find my name or phone number or any info in the system and said they don't see anyone not currently in the system, even for emergencies. She did give me the number of the only emergency vet in the state that is open during daytime hours, which happens to be in Portland, which is a 3 hour drive away! My phone battery was dying and wouldn't charge in the car so I popped into the office to charge it up and make some more calls, using suggestions from co-workers. I was striking out--vets were already fully booked with emergencies or not taking any appointments due to staffing when the Chaplain brought his phone to me, he had found a vet that could take them if I could get them there in the next hour. They were only 10 minutes away! So I ran them over, got there by 9 ayem, they both had to be sedated, and it took a while for Colt to wake up so I got them back a little after 2 peeyem. Colt was still loopy, and Zoe would drop off to sleep the minute she wasn't paying close attention to something, but they both obviously felt much better without the quills! Now they have a few days of antibiotics and some pain pills but seem to be doing just fine. Of course, I had to go lug a dead porcupine out of the dog yard when we got home. He was a big as a small racoon. It's the first time I've seen a porcupine in all the time I've lived here!

Goldie--I am using the same boarding kennel, but I didn't get the Presidential suite where the video is. I did get a giggle out of you suggesting Mom dog sit! I'm glad to hear the pain isn't bad, but I am sad to hear that it's scary. I can imagine it is. I figure treatment changes aren't a lot of fun, either.

Karen--oh, boy, that was a long time to sit in the plane before taking off. I'm glad you are safely there and visiting with DD#2. The trip to Akron will be July 30- Aug 5th.

Chi--it sounds like the new car is working out really well for you both. I love how GPS navigation can take you to some interesting places. There's a road in a small town not too far from here where the GPS has all the house numbers in backwards! I went to see a patient there once, they had 2 addresses listed, the correct mailing address and the "GPS correct" address listed as the physical address! Glad to hear Heidi's nails were caught before they created problems.

Goldie--running vinegar through the water heater sounds a lot like running vinegar through a coffee maker! Hard water may taste really good but it does create issues.

The Porcupine

The Porcupine

Ingredients

• 2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
    • 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
    • 48 oz. beer (pale ale, such as Sierra Nevada, chilled)
    • 750 mL dry white wine (sparkling, such as Prosecco, chilled)
    • pineapple wedges
    • rosemary sprigs (Fresh)

Directions

1. In a small saucepan combine pineapple juice and 2 sprigs rosemary. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until mixture is reduced to about 1 cup. Strain juice into a bowl; discard solids. Cover and chill for 1 to 48 hours.
    2. In an extra-large bowl combine the strained juice, beer, and wine. Serve in wine glasses garnished with pineapple wedges and additional rosemary sprigs.

From <https://www.yummly.com/recipe/The-Porcupine-1221299>

• goldie0827
    edited July 2022

Karen yes, I understand about the flight mess, sorry about that. I just hadn't realized you were gone already. So you had to sit on the plane for 2 hours at the gate??? I assume you are still gone?

NM, I can't hardly stand to look at those pictures of the pooches. But Colt cracks me up, looking so proud! Yes on the vinegar, 2 gallons worth. You put it in a bucket with a pump and attach it to the water heater and let it pump through the system for about an hour.

My water does taste good. I grabbed some water from Tammy's fridge before I left there, the water dispenser, as I had seen her get some, she said it was filtered. I couldn't even finish it, it tasted so horrible to me.

The porcupine drink looks much more desireable than the pups!

Been pretty hot here with some humidity, therefore the swamp cooler doesn't do as good of a job. Temps hitting 100 by late afternoon and will be like that for about a week, ugh! But I'm not complaining, cuz I would rather have the heat than winter.

• jazzygirl
    edited July 2022

Sunflower picking today

• nativemainer
    edited July 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Monday Monkey Day! The puppers and I had a totally lazy weekend, especially yesterday when we could feel the humidity building up. The chase and wrestle sessions got very short yesterday and a lot more time was spent stretched out on the floor under the fans.

Goldie--yeah, Colt was pretty proud of himself, in between scratching the quills out! Zoe was much more "make it better, Mom!" She wanted me to be touching her, but finding a place to touch that wouldn't hurt was hard!

Jazzy--the sunflowers are beautiful!

image>

Sunflower Cocktail

Ingredients

• 2 (1.5 fluid ounce) jiggers gin (such as Aviation® or Hendrick's®)
    • 2 (1.5 fluid ounce) jiggers orange-flavored liqueur (such as Cointreau®)
    • 2 (1.5 fluid ounce) jiggers elderflower liqueur (such as St. Germain®)
    • 2 (1.5 fluid ounce) jiggers lemon juice
    • crushed ice

Directions

• Step 1
      Combine gin, orange-flavored liqueur, elderflower liqueur, and lemon juice with some crushed ice in a cocktail shaker. Cover and shake until the outside of the shaker has frosted.
    • Step 2
      Strain into 2 glasses.

From <https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/247191/sunflower-cocktail/?printview>

• goldie0827
    edited July 2022

Jazzy, what are doing with the sunflowers? Bouquet?

NM, I had a pretty relaxing day yesterday as well. It's too hot to do anything outside. Did a load of whites and then as monsoons moved in and it got cloudy, I went out and washed DH's truck so I can get it ready to sell, as I really have no use for it.

• jazzygirl
    edited July 2022

Put them in a vase

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 581
    edited July 2022

Jazzy love the sunflowers. How nice to come home to a raise in pay, hopefully it offsets the rising prices.

NM - I have never seen anything like your poor puppies and the porcupines. It sounds like a children's story book. I do love how there is a drink that fits everything that comes up. There must be something interesting to see in Akron - enjoy the trip.

Karen- so glad you will be spending time with your daughter and the other daughter in a few weeks. So nice to spend time with them.

ChiSandy - Glad you got the phones paired up with car, and 38.8 mpg is great!

Goldi - you need to have easy days, I think you must still be healing. There is always something to take care of after someone dies. I had to make lists of things I needed to take care of. Hope you are feeling well.

Happy Weekend to everyone.

• nativemainer
    edited July 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Twofer Tuesday! There was a Branch dinner after work yesterday. It was pretty interesting, it's the first time I've been to a business function that allowed alcohol. I didn't think that was ever a thing in the healthcare industry world. I did get to know a few more people, and heard lots of interesting gossip. It was a nice break after a bit of a frustrating day. The other Clinical Manager is working really, really hard, trying to do the work of at least 3 people, and is not doing any of my training. The regional educator/mentor is focusing on training the new RNs and Home Health Aides (appropriately) and has pretty much left me on my own. Other people are stepping in and showing me how to do specific tasks so I am picking up some of the workload as time goes by, but I don't necessarily get all the info until I do something wrong or don't do something, which happened a few times yesterday. I keep telling myself that people aren't upset with me, they are stressed and busy, and having to stop and bring me up to speed creates difficulties for them, especially for the current Clinical Manager. The training in Akron can't come soon enough for me at this point. In the meantime, I keep plugging away and am learning more and more about the workflow and keep picking up a little more work all the time, and reminding myself that I will get there. This phase will pass.

I left Colt and Zoe loose yesterday knowing I was going to be home late. They were very happy to see me when I got home, I guess they did miss me! They insisted on playing pounce and wrestle on top of me all evening!

Goldie--nothing wrong with a relaxing day, especially when it's hot, in my mind. Is it going to be hard to let go of DH's truck? I remember Mom having trouble letting the truck go, even though she didn't use it and Dad had told her to sell it before he died.

Jazzy--WOW! How pretty!

Misty--there probably will be something interesting to do, but I plan to focus on learning the job and that will mean reviewing notes and writing up cheat sheets in the evenings. I really want to come back and be able to jump in and start really pulling my weight.

image alt="Bulleit Bourbon Frontier Old Fashioned">image>

Frontier Old Fashioned

Ingredients

• 1.25 oz. Bulleit Bourbon
    • 2 bar spoons simple syrup
    • 3 dashes Angostura bitters
    • 1 orange peel

How to Make

• 1 - Add two bar spoons of simple syrup, three dashes of bitters and Bulleit Bourbon to a large rocks glass.
    • 2 - Add ice.
    • 3 - Stir gently until the level of the ice and liquid equalize.
    • 4 - Zest an orange peel over the glass then add the peel to the drink as a garnish.

From <https://www.bulleit.com/whiskey-drinks/frontier-old-fashioned/>

• jazzygirl
    edited July 2022

NM- sorry to hear about the puppers getting in to trouble. That looked painful and hope they are better soon.

I found a winery for you to visit not far away from Akron called Sara's Winery. Looks like they do a lot of other things there including concerts. They are open in the evenings too?

https://www.sarahsvineyardwinery.com/hours-location

• chisandy
    edited July 2022

OMG, Kim, about the porcupines! Thank goodness my kitties are strictly indoor cats (always have been--tried to walk our first with a leash & harness but she wasn't having any of it).

Bob is now getting >40mpg. And for the first time since early June he paid under $5/gal. I bought him a dashboard compass yesterday (had to go to 5 stores to find one), but have yet to install it (suction cups for windshield or duct tape for dash). I have one more Hail Mary pass up my sleeve: his iPhone does have the Compass app, but instead of being on his home screen (or any regular screen), it's in a folder in the "swipe-right-from-Home" Dashboard page--so it won't come up on the CarPlay screen. I looked for a menu when I brought up the app, but there was none. I think there is a way, when in the Dashboard, to put it on the home page--in which case it'll come up in CarPlay.

Meanwhile, he has to go to the dentist downtown tomorrow and must drive because he has office hours afterward way down in Hickory Hills. He's nervous because the nearest parking garage has a treacherous spiral ramp up to the ticket-dispenser, and he's afraid he might ding his fenders. I told him to make sure that the next time he makes an appointment, he should do in on a day & time when he can take the train or a cab/Lyft, go home, and then drive down southwest.

Fri. night we had Fess Parker 2016 dry Riesling (Santa Maria valley) with choucroute (I used some of it in the kraut). Sat. night with a bison strip I grilled, a little of the Cotes du Rhone from Froggy's Went to Regalia Sun. night, and was able to nurse a split of La Gioisa Brut Rose Prosecco 2020 (drier & fizzier than their usual Ruggeri). Last night I had a little more Cotes du Rhone with leftover roast chicken from Regalia. Tonight, we grilled salmon and opened a bottle of Mirassou Pinot Noir 2019--had tried to Coravin it, but the synthetic cork had three (!) holes in it so it dribbled. Hope we can keep it from "turning" too rapidly (don't want to "guzzle" it).

• nativemainer
    edited July 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Hump Day! We had some excitement at work yesterday, we lost electricity when a nearby transformer blew up. At first I thought the boom was a car crash! Power was out for a couple of hours, fortunately, there was a laptop I could use to connect to the corporate network and keep working until the power came back on. The game plan for tomorrow and Friday is to get me signed off to do visits, that will let me go out to hospitals and nursing homes to help with evaluating referrals. Since the receptionist went out early on maternity leave I've been managing the signed order processing, uploading and filing. I really, really do not like filing papers into charts, but someone's got to do it, right? I am so looking forward to training in Ohio!

Jazzy--the puppers are all better now. Every once in a while Zoe will stop, lift up her right paw, look at me as if to say "owie, Mommy!" and wait for me to say something or go pet her. Then she walks away just fine. The little minx has learned to play me! It looks like Sara's Winery is open Wednesday evenings, I think a visit there will be a nice midweek break. Thanks for finding it!

Chi--the porcupine adventure has been quite the experience, and one I hope I never have to repeat! That's impressive gas mileage Bob is getting. I can imagine he doesn't want to ding the new car on the spiral ramp. Good luck keeping the Mirassou from turning to fast!

The Inward Turn Marta Ess Most Imaginative Bartender

The Inward Turn

INGREDIENTS

• 1 3/4 parts Bombay Sapphire gin
    • 3/4 parts tomato water (see Editor's Note)
    • 1/2 parts juniper- and basil-infused bianco vermouth (see Editor's Note)
    • 1 barspoon floc de Gascogne
    • 1 barspoon fino sherry
    • 12 drops saline solution (see Editor's Note)
    • Lemon peel

Garnish: sprig of lemon thyme, cherry tomato, lace of dehydrated lemon peel cut into a very thin strip

DIRECTIONS

1. Build all ingredients in mixing glass.
    2. Add ice and stir until very well-chilled (about 40 turns).
    3. Fine-strain into chilled Nick & Nora glass.
    4. Express and discard lemon peel.
    5. Garnish with lemon thyme sprig inserted into cherry tomato, wrapped in lace of dehydrated lemon.

From <https://punchdrink.com/recipes/the-inward-turn/>

• goldie0827
    edited July 2022

Jazzy, the sunflowers are pretty, love the colors. I remember you doing that before. Do they last very long?

Misty, I do have everything taken care of. I'm currently trying to clean out the house and get rid of as much stuff as I can that I don't need/want. Less for family to do when my time comes.

NM, funny about the Branch dinner and the alcohol. I remember storms in MI with transformers blowing, pretty scary. Usually from ice storms. It will not be hard letting go of the truck, I have no use for it. That was very sweet of Jazzy to find the winery in OH for you.

Sandy, I had to drive up one of those spiral ramps when going for my post op. They can be pretty scary and it was dark. Of course you can see where folks have hit the walls! 40 mpg is awesome.

So, I found this guy on FB that does road work, $200 for 4 hours or $400 for 8. I'm like wow, that's really cheap. Went to meet him yesterday and my neighbor Patty wanted to go with me, so I wasn't alone. I told her not say anything about me being widowed. Anyways, we are coming across a spot we had fixed before, and she tells the guy "we payed $5000 to have this done." The guy's mouth dropped. I'm like, you idiot! Why would you say that? He's probably thinking, I'm way to cheap and need to up my prices.

So if y'all remember, I bought that new wash machine, which I absolutely HATE! I go to put a load in yesterday, I put clothes in and dump some water on them to get them a little soaked. Go to start it and it says, "you need to clean your machine". WHAT? So, it won't wash until I run this cycle. I have to take the wet clothes out and start it. So not only does if fill the thing, it fills it with hot water, which uses up my propane. It doesn't put that much water when washing. In fact, the clothes don't get completely submerged. So, it does a wash cycle, drains and goes to a rinse cycle, filling completely up AGAIN. That was over 70 gallons of water. What a waste of water, which is a precious commodity out here. GRRRRRR!

• nativemainer
    edited July 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Thirsty Thursday! I'm going to be going out and seeing patients today to get checked off on doing that. Next step will be to get checked off on doing admission visits. Then I'll be able to go out and do visits when we are in a pinch, which is just about every day right now. By the time I get back from training the week after next the third Clinical Manager will be on board and in orientation, too, and we can start seriously breaking up the workload so the current Clinical Manager isn't working all day in the office and half the night at home to try to stay caught up.

The puppers have pretty much recovered from the porcupine encounter. Last dose of antibiotics this ayem, neither one has needed the pain pills for a couple of days now. Now to hope that the porcupines decide to stay away from the dog yard, or the puppers have learned to avoid the pocus!

Teka--If the dogs never learn, maybe the quill pigs will learn to stay out of the yard!

Goldie--I never realized how much noise a transformer makes when it blows up! Although I suppose since it's called "blowing up" that should have been a clue. It was sweet of Jazzy to find that winery. That does sound like a really good deal for the road work. I hope he doesn't get the idea to up his rates. The new washing machine sounds like a pain in the anatomy! Machinery is getting way to demanding these days.

Wash House

4 fresh basil leaves

2 oz Ketel One Vodka

1/2 oz fresh lime juice

1/2 oz sugar syrup

• chisandy
    edited July 2022

No DOTD yesterday--it just didn't go with dinner. Tonight at the neighborhood Mexican restaurant was a flute of cava followed by Pellegrino with lime.

Bob made it up & down the ramp just fine. The worst corkscrew ramp in town is the garage across from what used to be known as the John Hancock bldg. (now called just "875 N. Michigan"). When we've hosted dinners in the Signature Room on the 95th floor, some of our guests have politely declined our offer to pay for parking and instead chose to take cabs or rideshares. Everybody is terrified of that thing (especially after a few drinks at brunch). We're hoping to snag a brunch res there during the Air & Water Show--amazing to watch the Blue Angels flying below us!--and you can bet we're calling a Lyft!

Had major scanxiety yesterday for my spinal MRI, but fortunately there were no mets--just a really, really bad back.Haven't talked to my ortho about what's next (besides my visit to the neuro and a likely EMG in Sept.), but will have to do a major change of PT: less stretching of leg & strengthening of quads, more core & balance work, gait retraining, maybe some gravity inversion if my GERD doesn't get in the way, and no deep tissue manipulations because that's not the problem, My R hip & leg stuff is all radiculopathy from lumbar-sacral stenosis. Not bad enough (yet) for surgery, but perhaps cortisone/lidocaine shots?

We have a front-loading Whirlpool (made by LG)--we occasionally have to run a tab of Affresh cleaner through it. Haven't had problems using warm or cool water; of course, we in NE IL aren't in a drought situation...yet.

Finally able to pick a couple of large tomatoes--one ea, beefsteak & heirloom, ripening on the sill.

• nativemainer
    edited July 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy TGIF day! It looks like we're heading into an official heat wave here. I'm not sure it got to 90 degrees yesterday, but it sure was close, and 90+ temps are predicted for the next few days. We should get 3 consecutive days of 90+ easily enough by the look of things. I got out and did four visits yesterday, it didn't take long to remember how to use the tablet and the software. There have been some changes, but most of it is pretty much as I remembered it.

I don't know what the puppers were doing while I was at work yesterday, but when I got home one side of Colt's crate was popped off on 3 sides, but Colt was still inside! The crate snapped right back together, and this weekend I'll get some zip ties or something to secure it with. Both puppers are going into the crate on command when I leave for work in the mornings now. I do toss in a handful of treats and a toy or two, I think that helps.

Chi--seeing the Blue Angels flying BELOW you must be quite the sight! I'm sorry your back is in such bad shape, it sounds like it must be miserable to live with. The tomatoes ripening on the sill must look lovely!

TOMATO MARGARITA

INGREDIENT LIST

• TOMATO SYRUP:
    • 1 cup tomato water from diced tomatoes (water from 1 28-ounce can Muir Glen Organic Diced Tomatoes)
    • 3/4 cup sugar
    • 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
    • FOR TWO MARGARITAS:
    • 5 oz tequila blanco (silver)
    • 4 oz tomato syrup
    • 2 oz fresh lime juice
    • ice, kosher salt, lime slices for garnish

PREPARATION

1. To make syrup, drain diced tomatoes. Let them drain well and press on them lightly to really extract as much liquid as possible without getting any tomato flesh. Add tomato water, sugar, lemon juice, and a tiny pinch of salt to a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves and liquid is hot. Let tomato syrup cool. If you are in a hurry, you can pour the syrup into a mixing bowl and submerge the bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice water. This will cool the syrup in five minutes. The syrup recipe should give you enough syrup to make 8-10 margaritas.
    1. To make two margaritas, add tequila, tomato syrup and lime juice to a shaker with a lot of ice and shake well for 10 seconds. Rub the edges of two glasses with a lime and dip in salt (optional). Add ice to each glass. Strain margaritas into the glasses over fresh ice and garnish with limes. Serve immediately.

From <https://www.muirglen.com/recipes/tomato-margarita/>

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 941
    edited July 2022

Hello friends, haven't posted much (irritation at BCO site issues, plus having PT for a bad shoulder which is time consuming). Anyway thought I'd share my date night splurge - watermelon martini. Yum! A first for me. Hubs had a sangria.

I continue to enjoy reading about your escapades and activities. Thanks for sharing.

• jazzygirl
    edited July 2022

Hi friends- happy weekend. After a relatively easy re-entry last week, back to the crazy pace at work this week. But I made it to the weekend and park work again for a few days. Already looking forward to my next break which is Labor Day weekend, but won't be going anywhere for this next 3 day weekend outside of maybe a day up to Santa Fe to soak in the hot springs there. It really needs to cool down here for that to happen though, as hot springs in hot weather is not the most ideal?

Goldie- the sunflowers lasted a week last time but only a few short days this time. I had the AC off when I went to work a couple days this week mostly to conserve energy and also because they warned us of rolling brown and black outs this summer. Our grid here is old and the upgrades they need did not get approved in rate height request the past year. Think the house got too warm and the flowers went in the trash on Thursday. If I go again to cut in August, hopefully we won't have this awful heat wave. We are starting to get more monsoonal rains moving in, but nothing much has come here in my part of the woods. Sending hugs on all things health too sister.

NM- your new job sounds like its off to a good start. I had to find you that winery because you know, this drinking thread? I like to check out wineries or breweries when I travel, usually the later are more accessible in the cities. I am glad the puppers are recovered from their porcupine encounter and you found a place for them to stay during your work trip. Hope your mom is doing okay for the most part too?

Chi- congrats on the new car! I am wanting to buy a new car in a few more years to replace my 12 year old subaru. I had my first major repair on it this year and would have bought new this year but it was a six month lead time on a new Subaru so I just fixed her. New cars are expensive but now seem even more so so we will see. I would be nervous too doing a narrow windy parking garage ramp in a new vehicle. I hope you and Bob enjoy the new car! I am sorry to hear about your back problems.

Reader- sorry to hear about your shoulder pain as well. I love watermelon martinis and there is a place in Santa Fe that has my favorite one. I hope you can get some relief from the pain.

Misti- my inflation calculator tells me it's running about 9.4% since last year so it will help. I am finding other ways to save money and getting ready to pay off my home equity loan from my kitchen upgrade I have had going on this past year. That will give me more cash to save or spend. I am putting myself on a retail diet and real diet too after my recent vacation!

That is far back as I can scroll or remember without loosing my post. I am off to sat morning yoga in the park and wish you all a good day. Stay cool in the heat if you are in the dome....

• chisandy
    edited July 2022

Reader, my sympathies about your shoulder pain & PT. Hope it works! My 2014 Outback is still hanging in there--on its second set of tires & brakes but otherwise going strong. I do "baby" it, though--got less than 42K miles on it.

Last night's DOTD was a large can of lime Bubly at Ravinia (long story--see the "Older" thread). No alcohol tonight, either--just don't feel like it. Tomorrow we'll go out to dinner downtown after seeing the Cezanne exhibit at the Art Institute, and wherever we go, there will be a glass of something bubbly and potent with my name on it.