Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

how about drinking?

Comments

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited October 2022

Jazzy, hard to believe you've been there 2 years, seems more like 6 months! But maybe not to you. The balloon fest is such an amazing event, I'm glad we got to go one year. Can't blame you for staying away!

Karen, glad your brother is home and doing better.

Sandy, people are pigs! I can't believe how people litter. At least the guy with the puke bag made it a point to get it to the garbage.

Nothing going on here. Weather is super nice this time of year and I'm kind of getting my energy back, but still don't feel like doing much. We can call that just being lazy!

• goldie0827
    edited October 2022

DOTD: Lazy Day Colada

1 part

DeKuyper® Pucker® Sour Apple Schnapps

1 part

Cruzan® Aged Light Rum

2 1/4 parts

Pina Colada Mix

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,972
    edited October 2022

Pictures from the Harvest Fest

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited October 2022

Love the Fall pictures!

Sandy - just wow! What is wrong with some people??? Poor, puking lady. I'm glad her companion was prepared and was able to get off and back on the train.

Happy puke-tober - I mean Pink-tober, everyone! (Check out my blog, if you want. It's how I feel about Pink-tober.)

Carol

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,304
    edited October 2022

Jazzy - Love the chili ristra. One of the things I miss about New Mexico. In addition to luminarias at Christmas. Oh - and the mountains and.....

Sunshine - in complete agreement about puke-tober. Everyone is aware now so lets start using the money for research - especially for Stage IV

Goldie - lazy days are OK but, hope your energy will pick up.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited October 2022

Jazzy - beautiful photos

Sunshine - the farther I'm out from diagnosis, 16+ years) the more I dislike Pinktober. Donate directly to one of the wonderful BC organizations instead of a pink vacuum!! I will check out your blog.

Watched Mrs. Smith goes to Paris. DD#2 and I enjoyed the movie. We went to Costco this morning (second time in less than 2 weeks, but last time this trip) and after lunch (at home) we went for a mani/pedi together. It was so nice to spend the day together. I love mom/daughter time with my girls. The last week of her visit will go all to quickly.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,906
    edited October 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Monday Monkey day! Waking up to a very chilly 30 degrees and frost this ayem. Brrr. Also getting up tired after being on the phone with the on call nurse late at night trying to find a way to get a copy of a medical form that a patient sent to the ER from an assisted living facility was supposed to have in their records and didn't. And of course, my work laptop decided to stop working in the middle of all that. Sigh. Thank goodness I go off call at 8 ayem!

And thank God for warm, cuddly puppers on a cold night! Colt makes a very effective weighted blanket.

Goldie--I'm thinking Mom will like this phone, too. Zoe is about 2, Colt is 3, so they are still young'uns. I hope they are happy with me, I am certainly happy to have them in my life! Wow, scary at the grocery store. I hope the chemo fatigue is wearing off!

Jazzy--Hooray for NED on the mammo! The hot springs pics were wonderful, what a beautiful place. I've been seeing lots of balloon pics just recently, Some are so fantastical! Congrats on making it two years in the new job! And the newsletter feature.

Chi--Wow, what a traumatic train ride! People really are pigs these days.

Karen--glad to hear your brother is home and doing better, even if not truly well.

Sunshine--I'm with you about October and pink and awareness. It drives me crazy!

Morning, Misty!

The Tipsy Pig

Ingredients

Ice

3 ounces bourbon

1 ounce Bacon Brown Sugar Simple Syrup, recipe follows

1 ounce sweet vermouth

5 drops bitters

Candied bacon, from Bacon Brown Sugar Simple Syrup, recipe follows, for garnish

Gourmet maraschino cherries, such as Luxardo, for garnish

Bacon Brown Sugar Simple Syrup:

1 cup cooked chopped bacon

1 cup brown sugar

1. In a shaker filled with ice, add the bourbon, Bacon Brown Sugar Simple Syrup, vermouth and bitters and shake until well mixed. Place 1 large ice cube into 2 tumblers, pour the cocktail over the ice and garnish with a candied bacon piece and a maraschino cherry on a pick.

Bacon Brown Sugar Simple Syrup:

1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook the bacon, sugar and 1 cup water until lightly boiling. Strain the candied bacon and reserve. Set aside the syrup to cool.

From <https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/the-tipsy-pig-cocktail-2106674>

• karen1956
    edited October 2022

Sunshine - read your 10/02 post. Very well said. How do I sign up for your blog?

Have a great Monday!

• goldie0827
    edited October 2022

Jazzy, your harvest pictures are adorable. Great news on your mammo!

Sunshine, I read your blog. I am not into pink October either, however, I will say that my favorite color is PINK! And it does make one wonder, how much actually goes to research!

Karen, enjoy your time with DD. And you are so right, it goes by so quickly!

NM, 30 degrees! YIKES! Didn't summer just get here? Colt and Zoe are still babies! I am quite certain they are happy with you, how could they not be? I can't even imagine Colt being the weighted blanket, he would crush me!

The chemo fatigue, I do believe, has lifted. Man I hate feeling so lazy, but it beats the throwing up. Hopefully it will be the same with my next treatment. I'll also know to take advantage of steroid energy when it kicks in!

• goldie0827
    edited October 2022

Carol, re your blog. Things like this don't amuse me and it was posted by a friend who has been diagnosed with BC. I believe she is done with treatment, maybe 2-3 years out.

May be an image of dog and text that says 'October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Get those puppies checked!'

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited October 2022

goldie, a friend of mine posted the same picture. I meant to publish my blog BEFORE October 1st, but I didn't, and she had already posted it on IG. She did "like" my post, but I really didn't want to offend anyone. I know she means really well, and I actually like her twisted sense of humor. Her IG name is "Velvet Dagger." I've snorted coffee out my nose reading many of her posts.

I hope everyone is having a good Monday. I ended up not falling asleep until 6:30 this morning. Slept until about 8:30. I'm not wanting to use wine to help me sleep, but I'm about to use a line from "What About Bob?" when he gets on a bus and asks someone to knock him out.

Carol

• karen1956
    edited October 2022

Lori - I dislike that photo as well as any that say save the tatas or something similar.

Carol - your blog post was great

I have my beginning of the year conversation tomorrow morning and I have not completed anything that needs to be done. Too tired to do it now and I don't have time in the morning before the meeting. Oh well. It's a new evaluator this year and I know the person but not well. I tried to find last years BOY, but couldn't find it in my paper files. I guess I need to check the google drive.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited October 2022

Karen, glad to hear you brother is home and improving, albeit slowly--steadily, I hope. I wish you an easy fast tomorrow night & Wednesday (as well to our other BCO sisters who are observing YK).

The dinner-dance at the Yacht Club was nice Sat. night. (I drove, because I drank mostly water--the wines, a Sauv. blanc & cabernet, were extremely "meh"). Yesterday's main meal was brunch at Big Jones (SC low-country cuisine), so the DOTD was cava. They serve it in those retro coupes, though--which makes the bubbles dissipate too fast. No alc. for me today, just coffee & water.

• jazzygirl
    edited October 2022

Carol - had my mammo in mid Sept and got my letter in the mail all is well. I'm not a fan of Pinktober but agree we must keep up with our imaging where those of us still need to do that. I'm 10 years from my dx.

Katie Couric was on the Today show yesterday giving some good practical advice about breast cancer as she goes through treatment.

• nativemainer
    edited October 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Twofer Tuesday! Getting up to another chilly ayem. The leaves are turning and falling now too. Time to give up on summer!

Goldie--Yeah, the puppers are still young, and act their age. Which is very entertaining much of the time. Colt is pretty heavy as a blanket, but as long as he isn't digging an elbow into me it gets comfortable pretty quickly. I'm glad the chemo fatigue is abating. It must be frustrating, but better than throwing up.

I saw that pic, too. Really do not like it. I am so much more than the breasts that were taken off.

Sunshine--well said in your blog!

Karen--isn't it frustrating when you can't find something you know you have?

Chi--a dinner dance sounds like fun!

Jazzy--the wait for test or scan results makes me absolutely crazy. So glad to hear your mammo was clear!

WINTER BLANKET

Ingredients:

0.75 oz Courvoisier Vs Cognac

0.75 oz Knob Creek Bourbon

0.75 oz Lemoncello

0.75 oz Amaretto Disaronno

2 oz Torrone Heavy Cream Mixture

Directions:

1. Add all of the ingredients to a shaker with ice.

2. Shake well then strain into a chilled coupe and garnish.

*Torrone-Heavy Cream Mixture: Place 1¼ oz. of hard almond or hazelnut torrone, cut in small chunks, in a coffee grinder and grind to a flour-like texture. Add to 8 oz. heavy cream and bring to a boil, then turn off the heat. Once cold, the mixture is ready to be used. Store in the refrigerator up until the heavy cream expiration date.

From <https://www.mainespirits.com/recipes/winter-blanket>

• karen1956
    edited October 2022

Tonight is Kol Nidre, the start to Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the year. We need to be in synagogue by 6:!5 pm so I probably won't be back till at least tomorrow night or more likely Thursday morning. I make a simple dinner pre-fast - bake salmon, rice and hot veggie. Try to minimize seasoning to decrease any thing that can make you thirsty. It is a 25 hour fast - no food or water unless you have health restrictions that prevent you from fasting. The water is the hardest part.

Have a great Tuesday and Wednesday.

• goldie0827
    edited October 2022

Sunshine, quite the name "Velvet Dagger". I assume IG is insta gram?

NM, how did mom like the phone? I finally had to close windows, night time temps dipping into the 40's, but still nice during the day.

Karen, not even water? I think I would have to sneak a few sips.

Had 2 guys come out yesterday to look at my damages. Super nice guys, both married and one of them lost his mother to ALS, so they were very understanding with my situation and very willing to help me.

• jazzygirl
    edited October 2022

Rainy week here in New Mexico but the balloons went up yesterday

• nativemainer
    edited October 2022

Good morning, Loungettes! Happy Hump Day! Another chilly ayem, not so much frost though. I'm busy at work trying to keep up with everything now that quarterly quality improvement reports are due. It's my first time putting the report together by myself, and I'm a bit nervous, but the instructions are really clear, it's just a matter of gathering all the data.

The puppers say good morning to everyone.

Karen--wishing you a meaningful holiday, in the sense of Holy Days.

Goldie--Mom seems to like the new phone pretty well. I need to get her a longer cord of the handset so she can sit in her chair and talk to people, but talking to her on the phone is a lot easier and clearer than on the cell phone. Glad you've got some help with the damages and getting things fixed again.

Jazzy--That is a wonderful pic of the balloon festival!

House of Balloons

Ingredients

Preparation

Shake the first 5 ingredients with ice, then strain into a glass filled with fresh ice. Top with a splash of club soda, and garnish.

From <https://imbibemagazine.com/recipe/house-of-balloons-vodka-cocktail/>

• goldie0827
    edited October 2022

NM, quit being so hard on yourself! You will get that report together and it will be perfect! Glad the phone is easier on everyone. I know you have it set so only you, DB and SIL will call on it, but how long will that last???

Here's a few of my pictures from when we went. The place gets packed, so I understand Jazzy staying away! But it is quite amazing, especially when you are right there on the ground with the balloons and their owners, watching them fill the balloons and launching.

No photo description available.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited October 2022

Karen, and all others who observed, hope you had an easy fast with a hopeful and meaningful year ahead. Our rabbi mentioned that the wish for "Shana Tovah"--repeated in the havdalah service concluding the Yom Kippur service--is usually mistranslated as " a good year," when it should be more accurately "a year of goodness." I follow the Reform view that cites Talmudic guidance that the mitzvah to promote health & therefore preserve life takes precedence over the mitzvah to fast. Obviously, that is not carte blanche to eat & drink freely, much less for pleasure. I have my one cup of black coffee in the morning to keep my lungs open and relieve headache (I usually begin my intermittent fasts at about 10 pm, so having started it before 7pm made me wake up at 11am with caffeine withdrawal); and I drank enough water to swallow my morning meds. I made it all the way to the temple oneg at 6:15--not quite 24 hours but pretty close. (Interestingly, some Talmudic scholars hold that the aged and infirm must intermittently take a very small sip and nibble every few minutes to prevent getting sicker--not for enjoyment, of course, but for nourishment).

Bob got home about 7:30, so we walked to Moody's Pub for a burger--all their tables are outdoors, and this is probably the last night it'll be comfortable to dine alfresco without umbrellas, tents or heaters. My DOTD was a Virgin Mary.

• nativemainer
    edited October 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Thirsty Thursday! Busy day at work yesterday, the front desk person was out sick and she does so much more than answer the phone, and I picked up a lot of it to keep things moving. It reminded me why I don't like phone work! But we got through, and ended up the day pretty much on top of everything, so all is well.

Goldie--I hope you are right about the report! Mom was getting ready to program her doctor's office numbers into the phone when we talked the other day, but I figured that would happen. Maybe now she'll get her reminder calls and not miss so many appointments. The balloon festival pics are amazing!

Chi--All the different rituals and practices out there are so interesting, thanks for sharing details!

99 Red Balloons

Ingredients

• Rosemary - 1 sprig
    • Simple Syrup - 1 Tbsp
    • Grand Marnier - 1½ fl oz
    • Cranberry Juice - 1 fl oz
    • Lemon Juice - 1 Tbsp
    • Rosemary - 1 sprig

From <https://makeitperfectly.com/drink/recipes/3ddc9be8-d5fc-11e7-911e-3f5ac2999a30>

• goldie0827
    edited October 2022

Sandy, wishing us ALL a year of goodness!

NM, sounds like you had a busy day, but managed! The balloon fest. is def. something to experience!

Awfully quiet in here ladies! I have to take my car in today, shocks and oil change. Will be sitting at the dealer for about 6 hours or so, then groceries when then they are done and home. Makes for a long day! And there is nothing close to walk to!

Having a problem now with the guy that bought the business. Problem is with the property. He can't get financing to improve, as it needs a septic, bathroom and kitchen. So, he wants to delay payments to me, so he can "improve" the property. Well, if it falls through, I'm still stuck with the property, improvements or not. I don't want the property back, I have enough to deal with! It's like he's making his problem, mine. Like I don't have enough to deal with. I don't want him to fail, but I just can't justify doing this. And they both do not have good credit and have had to borrow money from family and both have filed bankruptcy in the past. Thoughts?

• goldie0827
    edited October 2022

My little lamb chop!

**pic removed**

• jazzygirl
    edited October 2022

Goldie those are some great photos from you balloon visit here.

Things were all cancelled yesterday with heavy rain all day. But they are up today. From the front and back yard this ayem

• karen1956
    edited October 2022

Jazzy and Lori -love the photos of the balloons. I've never seen them up close and in person.

Lori - your niece is stunning like you and of course little lamb chop Nora is a cutie. I hope everything works out with the business deal. You sure don't need anything else added to your plate. Hugs.

Our traditional break the fast is the same every year - scrambled eggs, bagels, cream cheese, lox and orange juice. Last night we didn't get home from synagogue till 7:45 so it was 8:00 before we ate. My son came over to eat with us. Everybody got something ready and all I had to do was make the eggs. My son has been over a couple times since DD#2 is here and he will stop by on Tuesday afternoon as she leaves that night. I'm so lucky that my 3 kids all care about each other and love each other. Truly blessed.

Today DH and DD#2 went hiking at St. Mary's Glacier near Idaho Springs. Beautiful photos and the aspens are golden. I will post some from my phone.

• karen1956
    edited October 2022

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 941
    edited October 2022

Goldie, that little lambchop!! What a dear picture. I have no wise words on the business problem except "ugh". Trusting that you'll make the right decision for you.

Karen, thank you for sharing the beautiful photos and happy new year.

I had an interesting drink at a wedding recently - rum and pineapple juice (at least). I had one, dared no more since I had already had a glass of wine. My DH had something straight up or neat or whatever 🙄. We danced (sort of) then walked ourselves across the parking lot to our room at the place and let the young ones have the dance💃 floor!

NM glad the day " worked itself out" kind of!

Hello to everyone else and have a happy day!

• goldie0827
    edited October 2022

Jazzy, bummer for all the people there that things were canceled.

Karen, the balloons are huge, especially the "odd" ones! I'm confused at what news you are referring to. You said "your news is stunning like you." A few more days with DD2, enjoy! The aspens are beautiful. That is what we have here in the mountains are mostly aspens, so not a lot of other fall colors.

Reader, glad you had a nice time at the wedding and got some dance floor time. Also nice that your hotel was just a walk away.

As for the business move, their payments are supposed to go from $2000 a month to $4000 a month (in March), and he wants that money, like I said, to make improvements. There is a contract written up, and I'm not doing it! Again, I don't want the property back, then I have to worry about selling it, and with cancer getting worse, I don't want to deal with that. I'm trying to get rid of stuff, not add more, so when I go, my family doesn't have as much to deal with. Sat for 6 hours waiting on my car, then headed to Wal Mart for just a few things, I was too tired. Really needed bread and coffee creamer. But OMG, the shelves were empty! NO butter what so ever, except "butter wanna be". They were out of my creamer, so I opted for pumpkin spice, they had plenty of that! I have other stuff to do in town, so I'll have to make another trip out.

Thanks again everyone, re Nora. I hope y'all are sick of me posting pictures of her. I just can't help it, she is so stinking cute!

• goldie0827
    edited October 2022

NM must be running a little behind this morning or enjoying some warm cuddles with the pups!

DOTD:

Colors of Fall: Orange (The Basic Bitch Cocktail)
    1 oz Bourbon (Russell's Reserve)
    .5 oz Vodka (Tito's)
    1.5 oz Roasted Pumpkin Juice*
    1 Dash Simple Syrup
    1 Dash Angostura Bitters
    Shake over ice and double strain into a coupe glass. Top with "Basic Bitch Foam*" and Brown Butter Powder*.