Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

how about drinking?

Comments

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,906
    edited November 2022

Good Morning, Loungeette! Happy Thanksgiving Eve! It's been busy at work, but things are really starting to smooth out, either that or I've finally starting figuring things out. Or maybe both. My morning news show had a tradition of cooking a Thanksgiving meal during the Thanksgiving ayem broadcast, but because of behind-the-scenes construction going on they aren't going to do it this year. Very disappointing. The tradition started years ago when Trash Can Turkeys were the big thing, and it was a disaster, the turkey came out barely half cooked! A couple of other mishaps in the studio kitchen added to the not-so-edible-but-oh-so-funny final meal presentation. It was such a hit that they tried the trash can turkey again the next Thanksgiving, this time it went well, and started a tradition. The menu is different every year, sometimes a chef comes in and helps cook, sometimes just the news team and crew. They've cooked all kinds of dishes that all have in common that someone, somewhere, eats it every Thanksgiving. It's a lot of fun to watch and I am going to really miss it this year.

Goldie--OG is serving the usual menu, I'm going to get Mom's and my favorites. Trying to cook turkey and such for two isn't feasible, even if I do miss the leftovers the next day. And I think you are right about McD's. The last time I got a coffee and breakfast sandwich on the way to work it was over $5. and you are right about learning new stuff at work not being as bad as anticipated, now that I'm getting my head wrapped around the processes they really are pretty straightforward, it's the fixing things that aren't correct that gets complicated. It sounds like you have a great neighbor. I think the $100 sounds good if you can get him to take it. That prickly pear cocktail looks beautiful, such a pretty color!

Good Morning, Keywestfan!

Jazzy--Fresh turkey is going for quite the price this year. I was looking at just a turkey breast that was going for almost $60.I've noticed a big jump in prices over the last year or so, in everything. The cinnamon french toast coffee sounds very tasty. I'm a big fan of anything cinnamon.

I found a prickly pear cocktail recipe!

prickly pear cocktail

Hearts & Minds

1½ oz. rhum agricole

½ oz. fresh lemon juice

½ oz. prickly pear puree

¼ oz. rich simple syrup (2:1)

½ oz. Fernet (Liberty uses Fernet-Vallet)

1 oz. sparkling wine

Shake the rhum agricole, lemon, purée and syrup in a shaker tin with ice. Strain into a chilled flute and top with the sparkling wine. Float the Fernet on top of wine using the back of a barspoon

From <https://imbibemagazine.com/recipe/hearts-minds/>

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited November 2022

Jazzy, enjoy those chops and your coffees. You are so right about the cold and wind this year! I haven't been in the grocery store lately to look at turkey prices, but in one of my FB groups they were showing Bashas had them for .79 lb.

NM, I remember you mentioning your morning news crew and the trash can turkey. Sorry they aren't able to do it this year. Cooking turkey for one is even worse! I did do that awhile back with a small turkey breast, then made some tetrazini to freeze. You would def. have to figure other things to make and freeze. I think OG is a good choice. Yay for finding another recipe! Some interesting ingredients for sure!

I texted one of the guys that came out to give me an estimate on the home damage from the explosion, as I hadn't heard from him in a couple of weeks. He answered me and said he answered a few questions from insurance folks and sent in the estimate 3 weeks ago, and I should have heard something. I hadn't! So I called, and the gal is like "we've been sooooo busy, blah blah. A check has been issued, and you should have gotten and email." No, I have no email. She sends me one that I finally get, the check has not been sent and she never did send an email until after I told her I didn't get one. So, had I not called, this would have gone nowhere! Grrrrr!!! My friend is coming around 10 this morning to look at and hopefully fix the gate. And then over to my neighbors to help with TG stuff for tomorrow.

Here is a picture of the prickly pear with the nopales that gives it that pretty color.

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,173
    edited November 2022

They have pretty flowers too, and the bees love them.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708
    edited November 2022

Hi ladies! My beach bar is almost done! White Russians on the drink menu tonight.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,972
    edited November 2022

Hi Mae - that looks great. Love the neon palm tree too 🌴

• miriandra
    edited November 2022

Love the tumblers!

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited November 2022

Illimae, I can practically hear the steel drums playing...

KIm, I've never seen eggnog-flavored coffee beans (I don't even consider buying pre-ground), but some years ago right after Thanksgiving Starbucks began selling eggnog lattes. (They used a mixture of "light" eggnog and skim milk, before they made their own mix to supply to their stores). Pumpkin spice & gingerbread came later. But you can buy eggnog-flavored syrups designed for making espresso & milk drinks. Torani, Monin, DaVinci & Skinnygirl make them in regular and sugar-free versions. Skinnygirl makes only the sugar-free; Lakanto and NuStevia also make sugar-free simple and vanilla syrups--to which you can rum or brandy to them or the coffee, and grate nutmeg atop the foamed milk or the coffee/milk (or cream or creamer) mixture. You can even find plant-based eggnogs (no egg, of course) from Silk, Oatly or Califia--but they all have sugar.

Jazzy, I don't like flavored coffees (though I do like some Ethiopian beans that smell more like blueberry muffins than do Green Mountain's actual blueberry-flavored K-cups). For instance, if I want peppermint flavor, I use a candy cane as a stirrer; for cinnamon, I use a cinnamon stick. For vanilla, I slit open a piece of vanilla bean and put it in the grounds just before I brew.

When it comes to Starbucks, I don't trust their beans' freshness. They don't put roast dates on the bags, just "best by" or "best before," which in their case can be as long as a year after roast! I looked up various companies' "roasted on" vs "best by" dates and put them in my phone's Notes app--but it gets to be a royal pain in the grocery stores' coffee aisles when I'm looking for the freshest beans on the shelf and have to do the math. Whole Foods' bins of Allegro brand beans all have only the "filled on" boxes checked--which is useless, IMO, because you don't know when the sacks arrived at the store, much less when Allegro roasted them.

My favorite holiday blend is Metropolis' Hullabaloo Blend--because I know they roast a fresh batch every week through the holiday season, and put the date on the bag. (At least in their stores--sometimes the bags they send to grocery stores have a "best before" date but I know--I asked them--that is no more than 3 months after roasting).

Judy, I'm now doing my PT at Evanston Hospital's PT dept. on the first floor of the Professional Bldg. on Central St. I have two great therapists who thus far have been able to pinpoint exactly what to work on (they talked to my neuro), and I learn every session what muscles & other tissues each exercise is designed for and why.

Gordy & Leslie are doing well--the reason we picked supper for our TG table time was because both of them will be available. He works swing shift (from home) and managed to be able to pull a 10a-6p for tomorrow (his normal hours are 4p-midnight).

Last night & tonight with seafood the DOTD was Sancerre.

• goldie0827
    edited November 2022

BabyGirl, whoooo hooo on the beach bar. And of course, LOVE LOVE LOVE those glasses. Were they a gift? Also, there are 3 of them, do you and hubby have company?

Sandy, I guess you could say you were a serious coffee drinker! Just some Folgers for me and some hazelnut creamer.

I got my gate in the yard fixed yesterday, and on the way out he fixed my solar gate that lets you onto my property, that I had to disconnect due to the fact that when my solar guy left, the gate didn't automatically shut, like it's supposed to. I got my dressing made and took it over to my friends, to go in the oven today. Since I'm still without one! I'm hoping there is enough to go in the turkey and then another small baking dish. I love the dressing from inside the turkey.

Wishing all my Loungettes a very wonderful Thanksgiving! As for me, I am thankful for being alive!

DOTD: Pumpkin Pie Margarita

Código Tequila Pumpkin Pie Margarita

• 2.5 oz Código 1530 Rosa Tequila
    • 1 oz Pumpkin purée
    • .5 oz Lemon Juice
    • .25 oz Maple Syrup
    1. Wet rim of the glass in maple syrup and dip in cinnamon sugar
    2. Shake all ingredients and strain into glass over ice.
    3. Garnish with cinnamon stick and dried orange.

• illimae
    edited November 2022

Goldie, I bought the glasses, there’s a “liquid courage” one too. We do have a friend up for thanksgiving, which has been fun.

70% chance of snow tomorrow! Fingers crossed 😁

• nativemainer
    edited November 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Turkey Day! Heading out to Mom's in a little bit. I drew the short straw and am on call overnight tonight, the nurse originally scheduled to work the holiday doesn't work for us anymore. Oh well, at least it should be uneventful, nobody likes to call on a holiday unless there really is a problem to be fixed, so with any luck I won't have to go out in the middle of the night.

Goldie--I'm sorry they didn't cook on the morning news show, too, but they plan to do it again next year, so I'll look forward to that. Fortunately, there is a lot that can be done with leftover turkey, but unless I run across a half breast somewhere, I'm not going to bother with cooking any. Way too much work for just one or two people. It's too bad you've had to hound the insurance company about the explosion damage. I wonder how often the emails and checks never get sent out and no one complains and how much money insurance companies "save" that way. Pretty cactus plants!

Illi--Love your drink glasses! The Beach Bar is looking good!

Morning, Mirandra and Jazzy!

Chi--Starbucks will sell some very interesting drinks, particularly this time of year!

Goldie--I'll join you in that toast with the Pumpkin Pie Margarita!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,304
    edited November 2022

Happy Holiday to all you 'drinkers'. I love reading everyone's entries but I'm more of a lurker & don't post often. Still - I do have all of you in my thoughts today.

Goldie- great news about the gate(s). Hope the stove comes soon. Mae - how funny will that be - snow outside the beach bar. NM - I agree about turkey for 1 or 2. Sorry you drew 'on call' - but maybe that means you won't have to be in the 'pool' for Christmas. Jazzy - I've saved a wonderful article about visiting New Mexico wineries. I'll get there again one day.

• illimae
    edited November 2022

Minus, that’s exactly how I hoped it would be. I want to be able to take off my parka and put on my flip flops 😃

• miriandra
    edited November 2022

Happy Thanksgiving, Ladies!! DH made an amazing meal - I'm a lucky woman. :D My eldest child made dinner rolls for their first time, and my youngest requested corn bread (which was my contribution). My Dad made brownie cake and brought it over.

Sparkling apple-pom was enjoyed by all.

• nativemainer
    edited November 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Day After Turkey Day! Mom and I had a nice visit. We had a text visit with my brother and his wife, he's down with the flu, she was just getting over it, so they stayed home rather than go to her son's. Mom's remote for the tv/cable narrates every button she pushes and then starts reading the screen whenever it's not on live TV mode. The voice is robotic, and it's driving her crazy. I couldn't listen to it for very long, either! I tried to figure out how to turn that off but couldn't. She hasn't been happy with cable since she got talked into getting the hopper, and won't get rid of it because she's in a 2 year contract and is afraid she'll have to pay a huge bill if she breaks the contract. I can't convince her it might be worth it to pay some to get out of the contract and get the service that she liked and could use back.

On the way home a low tire pressure light came on in the jeep. It's happened the last couple of days, and I've put more air in and gone on my way. Yesterday I decided to try some sealant, so I stopped at a convenience store and put some in and was getting ready to top off the air pressure when a man came out of the store, looked at what I was doing, and urged me to let him fix the tire as he runs a repair shop nearby. So I followed him (his wife and school age child were with him) to his shop, attached to his home. He fixed the tire then would not take any payment, saying it was Thanksgiving and too many people are too mean to each other and this was his way of trying to balance that. While he was working his wife came into the waiting room and invited me to come into the house and eat dinner with them. I declined, I had just left Moms and was still full, but the kindness from the both of them really touched me. There are some really caring people in the world still.

Minus--Good morning, good to see you! I got lucky, no calls last night. I think Christmas is already covered, but I will be checking when I go in today just to be sure!

Morning, Illi!

Miriandra--sounds like a wonderful meal!

Mulled Wine

Ingredients

12 Servings

20 whole cloves

2 tangerines, clementines, or small oranges

2 750-ml bottles Merlot

3 cups fresh apple cider

8 Lady apples (optional)

2 cinnamon sticks plus 8 more for garnish (garnish optional)

2 green cardamom pods, cracked

2 cups tawny Port

Preparation

1. Step 1
      Press stem (pointed) end of 10 cloves into each tangerine, piercing through the skin. Place tangerines, wine, cider, Lady apples (if using), 2 cinnamon sticks, and cardamom pods in a large pot. Bring to a bare simmer over medium-low heat; cook gently for 20 minutes.
      Do Ahead: Mulled wine can be made 2 hours ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature. Rewarm gently over medium-low heat before continuing.
    1. Step 2
      Stir in Port. Divide among glasses; garnish each with a cinnamon stick and a Lady apple, if desired.

From <https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/mulled-wine>

• illimae
    edited November 2022

Here’s my beach bar today, yay, got my snow!

• goldie0827
    edited November 2022

BabyGirl, if snow is what you want, then my fingers are crossed too. However, you can keep it there!

NM, hopefully your evening was quiet, being on call. Cheers!

Minus, lurking is ok. Post when you like!

WAY TOO MUCH FOOD at my neighbor's house. Only 6 of us. One of the other neighbors also made a turkey with dressing, and 5 pounds of potatoes! I also did dressing. So, 2 turkeys and 2 dressings! Plus everything else. I was trying to get home before dark, but didn't make it. Park in front of the house to bring stuff in. Go back out to put my car away. Backing up is a straight shot. So, I'm backing up, and I'm just a little too far to one side and I back into a corner post of a split rail fence and crunch/dent my back bumper on the passenger side. UGH! I'm so pissed at myself! No moon to speak of to help with some light, so when it's dark, it's DARK!

Anywho, I hope everyone had a great day. Who's Black Friday shopping? Not me.

• goldie0827
    edited November 2022

Well, looks like I missed this whole page some how!

Mirindra, your dinner sounds nice! It's always nice too, when everyone contributes.

NM, that talking bit with mom's tv would drive me nuts too. And as we know, you can't change mom's mind, re canceling cable. WOW, what really nice people! And to invite you in for dinner no less. Which, I think I would have declined even if I were hungrry. And no calls, yippee!

And BabyGirl, you got your snow! Like I said, you can keep it!

• jazzygirl
    edited November 2022

Happy Black Friday friends!

Sounds like folks had a nice holiday for those who posted. It was a quiet day here yesterday with some downtime at home and a nice pork chop meal for myself. Just what this overworked girl needed and loved going nowhere and being home to putz and also get a few things started on my holiday packages and Xmas cards. I have some cousins who lives on the east coast and also one in France and we were all texing and e-mailing the past few days. We don't have a lot of immediate family anymore so our cousins are like extra siblings. I saw most of them when I was back east this winter, but we used to talk every week during the beginning of the pandemic on a family zoom. I miss that, but we all seem to be keeping in touch more these days which I do love!

I didn't black friday shop today but did do a meeting with my financial advisor to work on some things to optimize my cash holding with the increase in interest rates. We are working on that this coming month and sounds like there may be a few more increases coming but don't quote me on that either! We have plans to work on some things the next month and will meet again right before Xmas. He told me I have done a good job with saving for retirement as well as reducing expenses (paid of the house) as I approach retirement. I am in a good place to be ready to retire from FT work in the next three to five years, and we have plans to adjust for things as we go along. As you have all heard from me, this job is not an easy situation but as long as I focus on why I am there and what I need to do to get to my milestones, I am pretty sure I can finish this out.

I was around one of the major retail areas in town and by the time I left, it was pretty busy. I limited my time in stores today to pick up a few things at the grocery store, Walgreens and also dropped some more things off to consignment. Tomorrow is small business Saturday and if I do shop, I prefer to go to the small retail shops here to support them. I have a meet up tomorrow with a friend in the afternoon and may be playing some music tomorrow too. Loving having this long weekend!

NM- sounds like things went okay for the most part. Did you get called last night? I know you said you had a meeting you had to do today and hope you got out early. That is wonderful that man helped you with the tire. I have had a few times I have had help like that. I have learned that with the change in temp/pressure, I like to keep my bicycle pump in my car for those slow leaks until I can get service. Hope you can relax the rest of the weekend.

Ill- I heard it's snowing down in SE NM and over to TX, big swath of blue on the radar. We started off overcast yesterday with snow up north but no precip here yesterday or today. Enjoy the moisture and glad you had a friend visit too!

Goldie- I am glad you had a good time with your friends, but sorry about the dent. Its so dark in the winter and am sure it even more so where you live. Have you considered putting in a motion detector light on the outside of your house or garage? I had one put on my garage about seven years ago and it really helped me to see better when coming home at night, pretty dark in my neck of the woods. Now with getting home from work after dark, I really appreciate that motion detector light.

MinusTwo- we have some great wineries here, I will take you to one here in town you will love. Look forward to seeing you when it works to get over this way!

Speaking of light, going to finish up a few things before it's gone here and then off to evening yoga. Hope everyone has a nice evening!

• nativemainer
    edited November 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Saturday! The sun is shining, the wind is blowing, but it's not really cold out, so a very nice day shaping up. No particular plans for today, just puttering around the house and playing with the puppers.

Illi--brrr, that looks chilly, I hope the inside of the beach bar is cozy warm for you!

Goldie--Oh, my, 2 turkeys and 2 dressings, what a feast! And then to bend the fender backing in, such a pain in the anatomy! I hope there was no or very little damage to the fence rail. I avoid Black Friday shopping, too, unless I'm doing it on line. And since I was working yesterday, that was no particular problem anyway. They were incredibly nice people indeed! I wouldn't have joined them for dinner even if I was hungry, either, especially on a holiday, that's time for family and they were being incredibly generous with their time as it was. And I certainly won't complain about no calls!

Jazzy--so nice that you and the cousins are keeping in touch! The whole idea of family seems to shift over time as the eldest pass on and the youngest grow up. I envy you being so well prepared for retirement! Good for you. I did not get called out, and did not get out of work early yesterday, either. I found that I could clear out a lot of tasks in the workflow for the other two Patient Care Managers while one was running the big Friday morning meeting. The other one took the day off to take a weekend trip with her husband since they found themselves without children for the holiday weekend. We managed to keep up with everything and put out a couple of fires. I stayed about 45 minutes after closing to finish the task I was working on simply because it was a lot easier to do that than try to pick it back up Monday.

Jive Turkey cocktail

Jive Turkey Cocktail

INGREDIENTS

• 1 oz Rye whiskey For Thanksgiving it certainly makes sense to use Wild Turkey Rye 101, but what you have on the shelf will work.
    • ¾ oz Bourbon
    • ¾ oz Amaro CioCiaro If by chance you're out of Amaro CioCiaro at the moment, just substitute Bigallet China China or Torani Amer. If you do so you may want to also add a dash of orange bitters.
    • ¾ oz Dry vermouth
    • ¼ oz Elderflower liqueur St. Germain is what your trusty liquor store will have.
    • 1 dash Angostura bitters
    • Garnish: none

INSTRUCTIONS

• Add all ingredients to your trusty mixing glass.
    • Add ice and stir to chill.
    • Strain into pre-chilled cocktail glass.
    • Drink.
    • Make sure the turkey is not on fire.
    • Rinse and repeat.

From <https://drunkardsalmanac.com/jive-turkey-cocktail/>

• chisandy
    edited November 2022

Kim, I kept getting that "low tire pressure" dash light even after a failed sensor was replaced (and no longer under warranty). The dealership discovered that there was a faulty air valve stem on one of the tires that was causing a slow leak. So they replaced that for free.

Weather has been mild & clear the past few days, but I haven't gotten out of the house since Thursday evening. (Cat care, purging my webmail box, paying bills, etc.). We had a lovely dinner at Wildfire, despite the place being slammed with guests and understaffed (only ONE bartender). We had one round table for 5 and a square one for 4, but they were adjacent, so we could easily mingle. They ran out of mashed potatoes and pecan pie, but we subbed out roasted vegetables and Key lime pie and everyone was happy. DOTD was Sofia brut rosé and 2018 La Crema Pinot Noir (Monterey), which was soft and delightful.

Yesterday, with leftovers we brought home, Dubouef Beauj. Nouveau. Tonight, with my defrosted leftovers from last Sun.'s Regalia dinner, I Coravined some Barolo. Tomorrow night, Bob promises to get home in time to go out for Sichuan food (the place is BYOB), so we're chilling a Piesporter Michelsberg Riesling Spätlese (off-dry but good for spicy food).

• goldie0827
    edited November 2022

Jazzy, that's nice to be told you are headed in the right direction for retirement. Ha, I do have a motion light, several of them actually. I've backed out of there for over 20 years, never had a problem. I guess I was a little over confident

NM, the fence is not looking good! I had the same thing happen on my FJ with the low tire pressure. We were away on a little get away. DH checked all the tires, they are fine. Turns out, it was the spare!

Sandy, sounds like a nice dinner, sorry they ran out of things.

No description available.

No description available.

• jazzygirl
    edited November 2022

Good morning friends- last of the holiday weekend. I like this not working stuff, sounds like I am ready to retire doesn't it? I like to say I am mentally, physically and emotionally ready to retire, but for sure, not quite there financially. That being said, I do feel pretty good I can move from FT to part time work in another three years when I get to Medicare and my vesting. I think that is going to be my plan. With the new hospital and expansion of services they are planning, I expect I can work something out to stay on maybe three days a week so I can continue to make money and hang on to some of the benefits. I have some friends who want (or perhaps need) to work into their 70s but not me. I am realistic about health changing at any point (comes with having had bc, which we know changes our perspective) and not wanting to work until I am forced into not working. Today is my day to get things finished up around the house and get ready for a full and busy week at work.

NM- it sounds like your friday went okay. I personally like to work the holiday weeks as things tend to be quiet, and can get caught up on some things. For sure happened last week for the three work days before we hit our Thanksgiving break. Sounds like your work week will go better with some things taken care of yesterday. Glad you are taking some downtime for the rest of the weekend. I am sure the puppers are glad to have you home!

Ill- I saw some incredible pictures from down in SE New Mexico from that storm. Looks like some holiday travelers got caught up in that and stuck on some of the roads. We have so few plows here, mostly the highways and urban areas get the attention. The moisture is always good, we could use some here but nothing this weekend. I hope you are enjoying your new bar and hope the snow lasts for a bit.

Chi- sounds like your holiday meal out went okay mostly. Seems the restaurants are still short staffed everywhere, as are most of the retail. You made it work even with the shortages and substitutes.

Saying hi to our friends here we have not heard from in awhile like Mistyeyes, Celica C, Teka and more. Hoping your holidays were good.

I was out yesterday with a walk with a friend and we ended up at an asian fusion restaurant after for some apps and drinks. My DOTD was an apple maple martini and will post a pic. It was delish.

Wishing everyone a good start to December. Will be back again next weekend!

• nativemainer
    edited November 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Monday Monkey Day! Waking up to rain here, making me regret not taking the clothes off the line last evening. Oh, well, they'll dry eventually. At least the puppers don't want to stay out long enough to get wet and muddy. Of course, they did quite a bit of that yesterday, the muddy part at least, as it warmed up and melted all the snow and ice.

Chi--SMH at the coincidence of a failed sensor and valve stem! Sounds like the restaurant was pretty busy for the holiday.

Goldie--I didn't realize car systems monitored the spare tire, too! My tire was leaking due to a nail I picked up somewhere. I'm rather amazed a 2 inch nail didn't make the tire just go flat all at once. At least low pressure in the spare tire didn't need to interrupt your get away. It looks like the fence took more damage than the car. I hope it won't take too much to fix either.

Jazzy--a big part of the reason last Friday went well is because the local medical center made Friday a holiday, and so was on weekend level staffing, so the big push to get patients out of the hospital and into home-based care happened on Wednesday, so our big admission days last week were on Wednesday and Thanksgiving day itself. This week we should be back to the usual pattern of some emergency admissions on Friday, and several planned for Saturday and Sunday. The puppers did seem happy to have me home to let them in and out and in and out and in and out as they took advantage of the warmer weather, alternating with ear scritches and belly rubs.

Recipes Of Beaches Resorts' 5 Most Popular Cocktails | BEACHES

• jazzygirl
    edited November 2022

My apple maple martini with a twist of orange zest. Everyone on FB thought the zest looked like carrots 🤣
  • nativemainer
    edited November 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Twofer Tuesday! Things are settling into a groove at work, and I'm finally feeling like I'm, if not on top of everything, at least mostly on top of much of it. The puppers are contentedly running my life while I'm at home. I'm allowed only so much time on the computer or tablet before one or the other, or occasionally both, are climbing into my lap.

The local news show has a "dog walking weather" report segment, where they show a picture of a pet that viewers send in. The other day Colt draped himself over the arm of the recliner and was looking rather goofy, I grab a pic and sent it in, and it was just shown!

Jazzy--I thought the carrot was a cinnamon stick! The drink looks very yummy!

• goldie0827
    edited November 2022

NM, I love the extra rinse cycle from Mother Nature! Ha ha yes, the fence took the worst of it, but it won't get repaired or replaced. Go Colt, you are famous! And such a handsome boy! Is Zoe jealous??? Glad you are getting to a "place" at work, I knew you would!

Jazzy, pretty cocktail and it DOES look like carrots! Or, a cinnamon stick!

Yesterday was the first day I felt somewhat normal. Spent Sat. and Sun. in bed. I've been sneezing, so thinking maybe a cold. I don't know, I haven't been anywhere except my neighbors, and as far as I know, no one there is sick. And I was feeling a bit under weather before TG, so I really can't blame it on that. I don't think I've been anywhere since my last chemo, which was over 2 weeks ago! Heading out tomorrow for Phoenix, hopefully home on Friday after port placement. I should be ok to drive since they are only using a local, I'll be fully awake, which I absolutely HATE!

DOTD: Colt 45

1 oz (28 ml) Gin

2 oz (57 ml) Jager Herbal Liqueur

4-6 oz (113 ml) Energy Soda - (Red Bull)

Build the ingredients in a highball glass filled with ice, finishing up with enough Red Bull to fill the glass.

Stir well.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited November 2022

Hello all! Went to the hospital today for blood draw, etc. as a prelude to my annual physical next week. Will be interesting to see if there is any impact to having been off AIs since April. Also had a spa pedicure (hot wax treatment was divine) and since it was 61 degrees, got polish as well!

NM - Lovely photo of Colt.

Goldie - In your pocket for the port placement - healing thoughts!

Enjoying the drinks postings! Cheers for now - will be imbibing in a glass of Gewurtraminer this evening.

• chisandy
    edited November 2022

Lori, not sure about your neck of the (AZ) woods, but even this late in the season there's still residual ragweed here in Chicago. And if you are mold-allergic and it's been rainy (or snowy) with leaves on the ground, you may have been suffering from allergies.

Celia, I get a spa pedicure every 4 weeks--which includes ingrown toenail treatment. (My podiatrist approves of her work). I love the paraffin too. And despite the weather, I get polish--I like to look at my toes and I wear sandals around the house. As the holidays approach, it's boots outdoors--but change into blingy sandals for indoor parties.

Made it down to the Palm long before Bob--there was a Lyft driver cruising my neighborhood and he arrived w/in 2 min. Meanwhile, Bob (who is having increasing difficulty seeing street signs at night due to capsular clouding behind one of his replaced lenses) decided to let Siri guide him...bad idea. We've been going there for years--me from the north, Bob from the South Side. Always, if you have a route memorized. forget GPS--just go by familiar landmarks (but I hear that's a "girl thing:" men rely on signs and odometer readings). Then, when he arrived, he had to wait 10 min. for a parking valet (labor shortages).

Anyway, DsOT were a vodka martini for him and Piper Heidseck NV for me with the apps & lobster; and 2017 "J" by Jordan (Napa) Pinot Noir for both of us. (He had the lion's share).

• nativemainer
    edited November 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Hump Day! It seems like this week is just flying by. Wind and rain predicted to be coming in today, but at least it's still rain and not snow. At least I got the last load of clothes in off the line after work yesterday. One advantage to having the clothes get rained on is how soft everything feels and how good they smell when I bring them in.

Now there's talk about a rail strike, just what the economy needs right now. What on earth will be next?

Goldie--Love the Colt 45 Cocktail! I don't think Zoe is jealous, she's still picking on Colt as usual, but it's a bit hard to tell. I was surprised how many people caught that little 30 sec on TV yesterday ayem! Glad to hear you are back to feeling normal. Good luck with the port placement. I'm with you, I'd rather not be awake for anything that involves sharp things and any part of my body.

Celiac--it will be interesting to see the difference in the labs after coming off the AIs. The pedicure and hot wax treatment sounds really enjoyable!

Chi--interesting the difference between the way men and women remember directions!

• miriandra
    edited November 2022

The rail strike looming has been going on for a while. Basically, rail workers are pushing for sick days and better homelife/worklife balance. Currently, they have no sick leave; and if a worker misses work for any reason, including family emergencies or bereavement leave, they are docked points. These points are used to decide pay and advancement opportunities. Also, they are expected to be on call 24/7, since trains run constantly. If they refuse to come in outside of their regular shifts, they are docked points. In effect, they have no real down time when they can fully relax. This takes a heavy psychological toll, as well as putting undo stress on families and home responsibilities.

About a month ago, the rail companies pre-emptively halted and delayed trains (the businesses chose to do this, not the workers walking out) to show the government what a strike would look like, to try to scare them into using Congressional power to force a bad contract.