Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

how about drinking?

Options

Comments

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,855
    Options

I watched some tv coverage of the eclipse. I'm not sure what was visible here. The sun did come out during the afternoon.

Coffee is tasting good this morning. Hope everyone enjoys the day.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,616
    Options

Morning, all. That's all I have to say. 😁

Carol

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,066
    Options

Denver only got about 70% coverage. We had clear skies and viewing glasses, so we got to see a crescent sun. Not nearly as dramatic as the totality, but still pretty cool.

https://xkcd.com/2917/

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    edited April 9
    Options

Finished prepping the presentations for both courses and boy do I need a drink! I’d love to a a few Fuzzy Navels right about now! The remaining assignments I can handle in the next few days!

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,513
    Options

top photo a student took for me. Bottom photo a co-worker in TX sent my husband.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,020
    Options

Those are awesome pictures of the eclipse yesterday, @karen1956!!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,102
    Options

Karen - great pictures.

NM - I'm sipping a bourbon and water as I read. I got stuck in a long Zoom meeting and this was my first chance for a drink. I have Cherry Sour, but wish I had blackberries to add. On the other hand it's 10pm and I shouldn't be doing that anyway. Off to bed shortly & hope I can go to sleep before 3am tonight.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,294
    Options

My iPhone camera refused to focus—so the photo I took did not at all resemble what I saw with the naked eye. Guess I'll have to live with the memory,

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    Options

Got all my remaining assignments for classes for the next two weeks done. Now it’s time to relax and hand them in as needed and to do any responses to discussion posts of classmates. I’ll take a drink or two now

• karen1956
    Options

Lori - thinking of you and hope things are going well with the move and you are doing as well as can be expected.

I'm so bummed - I was supposed to see my medical oncologist on April 16th - it was made in October - they called today to change it as he wants the appointment for a patient in treatment. It's now May 3rd. I told the gal that I was bummed as I was already stressing about appointment next week so she said she would call me if there is a cancellation. I see my hematologist on May 13, only 10 days later. My medical oncologist does labs right before the appointment and my hematologist does them a week before, so I have labs for oncologist on May 3 and for hematologist on May 6th. I'm guessing they won't do the CBC or CMP twice.

Got my CPAP machine yesterday afternoon. I managed to wear it for 2 hours. I hope I can do longer tonight. I'm going to put the mask on in front of the mirror than attach the cord. I had my husband take a picture of me with it on so I could use it to see how its supposed to be.

Mods - thanks for the compliment.

• chisandy
    Options

I was able to go into "photos" and enlarge my eclipse photo—fuzzy, but a lot more impressive than the tiny original:

• chisandy
    Options

This is the unenlarged original:

• carolehalston
    Options

I also am thinking about Goldie and hoping things are going well for her.

We were fortunate not to have any violent weather yesterday, just 4 1/2 inches of rain.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    Options

Checking in here with a quick update. I flew into MI on Tuesday, and landed back in the hospital on Wednesday. By the time we got to ER, I was crashing and was taken in STAT. Been in the hospital since. We have yet another blockage, and I now done a G tube. Getting my first tube feeding as we speak. I did not think I was going to make it out of this one. I will be in the hospital until sometime next week, that is still TBD. Not sure what is going to take place with the move. When the movers were there, I think I told you, it started to rain and my floors are now a muddy mess. Well, right before I left for MI, my realtor called to tell me that there was an interested in my house, with cash offer and they were interested in the additional 40 acres. They want to see the house by the end of the month. I don't know that I will ever be able to make it back there, so not sure how this will all transpire. Life for me is not looking too good right now, but I will make the best of it and keep plugging along. I will check in as I feel up to it. Love and huggles to all....Lori.

• usethepointyend
    usethepointyend Member Posts: 7
    Options

hi there all.

Venting and drinking seem to have become important parts of my life since my recent diagnosis so I was very encouraged to see this group and even more encouraged to see a drinks recipe up top!

what are the favourite tipples around here?

• minustwo
    Options

Lori - SOOOOO glad to hear from you. Thanks for checking in. But sorry for the medical issues. Darn!! Hope the tube feeding gives you more energy. If one of your neighbors has a key, maybe they could let a cleaning service in to mop up the floors. I bet the realtor knows of a service. And hopefully the realtor has a key - or you could mail one to her. It's so hard to mentally let go of our plans & wishes to make everything perfect. You are always in our thoughts.

• carolehalston
    Options

Welcome, usethepointyend. Love your name! I drink vodka martinis when it's hot and bourbon old-fashions in cold weather. My preferred wine is chardonnay. I don't drink scotch or gin, though I did drink scotch in Scotland last September and liked it straight, no ice, the good stuff. I would probably enjoy gin in some mixed drinks. What are your favorites?

Hugs, Goldie. Thank you for updating us.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,592
    Options

Goldie, I know saying I’m sorry doesn’t help your situation but no words can really. I’m thinking the best for you and hoping the doctors can get you back to a better quality of life.

• karen1956
    Options

Usethepointyend - agree with Carole - great name. I drink dry red wine or single malt scotch. Sometimes I'll have a drink a couple or few nights in a week, other times nothing - all depends on my mood.

Lori - thanks for checking in. So you've been in Michigan for a week? Minus has good suggestions. You are always close to my heart and in my thoughts.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 849
    Options

Lori words are inadequate. I pray for you. Here are some roses for you from my yard. Thank you for checking in.

I like red and white wines except oaky reds, and Martinis. Welcome!

• miriandra
    Options

Fingers crossed for you, Goldie!

Sandy, your eclipse photo looks rather … um … breasty. 😆

Pointyend, I fancy a nice wine or the occasional margarita. Liquors are also tasty.

A friend of mine recently passed from complications arising from stomach cancer. When the tumor shrank after her chemo, it tore a hole in her colon, causing sepsis to take over. It was a freak event that was totally unexpected. I raised a glass to her tonight.

• chisandy
    Options

(((Lori))), holding you in my heart and hoping you can get some good quality of life. Words are inadequate.

Welcome, "pointyend." Not drinking much these days but when I do, it's gotta be bubbly & brut.

Miriandra, I had the same thought. Puts me in mind of the song "The Woman in the Moon."

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    Options

NM, waiting to hear about all the gossip! Glad you had a nice trip with mom, albeit the "backseat" driving.

Usethepointyend...good one! Welcome to our lounge, The Hot Tatties Lounge, aka THE HTL. We always have some sort of "tipples" here. NM usually posts one every day for us. DOTD-Drink of the Day.

Minus, because of where I live, I doubt a cleaning service would come out! Yes, my neighbor has a key and just like any realtor, there is a lock box for her to get in the house.

BabyGirl, and everyone else. Saying sorry does NOT help any, and is not necessary. I know you all care about me, so when I post, you don't always need to say you are sorry for my situation. It's all good! I'm just keeping you a breast (pun intended) of my sitchiation!

Karen, I've been in MI, and the hospital, since April 2nd!

Reader, what a beautiful rose! I can even smell it and pink is actually me favorite color.

Miriandra, we shall all raise a glass in honor of your friend, sorry for your loss.

As for me, I will go right from the hospital to a rehabilitation center. I'm not liking how all this is playing out, not what I had in mind when moving! Guess I have no choice in the matter! It is what it is, and I have to deal with it!

• usethepointyend
    usethepointyend Member Posts: 7
    Options

thanks ladies for playing!

Myself: partial to bubbles, no Sauvignon Blanca, g&ts, cosmos, but will give most things a go except sweet wines and whiskey blends.

does anyone have a good sangria recipe with tips on a good base wine?

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,815
    Options

ood Morning, Loungettes!

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy TGIF Day! I didn't realize I hadn't popped in for so many days until this ayem! As I've been going through emails in the ayems I keep coming across things I need to do and go off on those and forget to finish the morning routine! So far I've found car insurance half the price of what I have been paying for the same coverage and changed policies, got mom and myself squared away with mail order pharmacies and signed up for automatic deliveries, found several subscriptions I had forgotten about and cancelled them, and found some unclaimed money being held by the state that I'm working on reclaiming. All in between tugs-of-war games and butt scratches and ear tickles with the puppers. I could really learn to like living like this!

Carole--sometimes watching something like the eclipse on TV is a better option than in person. All the schools around here dismissed early or took the day off as the totality was scheduled to happen during regular dismissal time, and a lot of parents were going to keep their kids home that days so they could see it anyway.

Teka--if the April storm came a few days later it would have been catastrophic! Some norther Maine tourist dependent towns have made as much money on this one event as they make over the 4th of July, and are set up for a really good tourist season this summer.

Morning, Sunshine!

Miriandra--great depiction of the eclipse experience!

Mommy--oooh, Fuzzy Navels, I haven't had one of those is a long time! I may have to add the makings to the next shopping list.

Karen--NICE PICS!!!!!

Minus--I hope you managed to get to sleep at a decent time. Have you ever done the thing on a Zoom meeting where you put something more potent than coffee in your coffee cup to sip? I never have, but I have often thought about it!

Chi--I heard a lot of people had focus issues. I guess the autofocus feature of many phones can't handle eclipses!

Mommy--good for you for getting the assignments in. Responding to discussion posts isn't as hard as the assignments, I'm sure.

Karen--having appointments changed like that is so annoying, and often upsetting. I can understand the need, but it doesn’t make it easier to live with. Do both the MO and Hematologist send in lab orders ahead of time? Can you wait until both sets of orders are in the lab before going in so you don't have to have the same tests done twice and get stuck twice? Good luck with the CPAP machine. I hear they take some getting used to.

Chi--that enlargement makes for a great picture!

Carole--glad you didn't get violent weather.

Goldie--oh my, I am so sorry to hear about the current set of difficulties. I hope your realtor can help you find someone to go into the house and do a quick clean of the mud and such, or explain to the interested buyers the situation. I know I would overlook something as easily fixed as a muddy floor in that situation. Hugs and prayers, my friend.

Usethepointyend--welcome! The HTL is the right place for drinks and venting! I'm a Rose/white/sparkling wine gal most of the time, but I enjoy mixed drinks as well. What should be have the tenders stock up on for you?

Morning, Illi, Karen!

Reader--beautiful roses!

Miriadra--what a horrible thing that happened to your friend. Hugs.

Goldie--I can't imagine you did have anything like this in mind when you moved. But as you point out, not much to do but play the hand as dealt. I hope the rehab center gets you back on your feet and able to enjoy the new house.

Pointy--I love a good Sangria, especially ones based on white wines, but I'm partial to whites. One of the wonderful things about Sangria is you can use whatever wine you like as a base, but Spanish Riojas are common.

Spanish Sangria

Ingredients

US Customary – Metric

• 1/2 medium apple (cored, skin on, chopped into small pieces)
    • 1/2 medium orange (rind on, sliced into small pieces, large seeds removed // plus more for garnish)
    • 3-4 Tbsp organic brown sugar (or 3 Tbsp (37.5 g) organic cane sugar as original recipe is written)
    • 3/4 cup orange juice (plus more to taste)
    • 1/3 cup brandy (plus more to taste)
    • 750 ml bottle dry Spanish red wine*
    • ~1 cup Ice to chill

Instructions

• Add apples, oranges, and sugar to a large pitcher and muddle with a muddler or wooden spoon for 45 seconds.
    • Add orange juice and brandy and muddle again to combine for 30 seconds.
    • Add red wine and stir to incorporate, then taste and adjust flavor as needed. I added a bit more brandy, orange juice and brown sugar. Stir to combine.
    • Add ice and stir once more to chill. Serve as is, or with a bit more ice. Garnish with orange segments (optional).
    • Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours, though best when fresh.

From <> https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-traditional-red-sangria/

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,616
    Options

Oh , goldie (Lori), I'm SO sorry. I hate this for you…

Carol

• karen1956
    Options

Kim - my medical oncologist does labs right before the appointment when vitals are done. Hematologist does them one week before. So I see my medical oncologist on May 3, Labs for Hematologist on May 6 and appointment with Hematologist on May 13 and oh ya, my annual physical with my PCP on May 10th

Lori - I hope the rehab place will be comfortable. Hugs my friend.

• chisandy
    Options

Any good red blend will make a fine Sangria—needn't be Rioja, can even use three-buck-Chuck from TJ's (malbec, merlot).

Lori, hope the rehab center can get you in shape to enjoy your new place.

• miriandra
    Options

Thank you all for your kind wishes. Her battle was short, and she was comfortable and surrounded by love when she passed. Her family is planning a wake next month, since so many people from out-of-town weren't able to be at her service. She was an amazing person who touched a lot of lives.

• minustwo
    Options

NM - yes - I had a gin & tonic in a large opaque coffee container for the Zoom meeting. Definitely necessary.

Goldie - I agree with NM. Anybody buying property that far off the beaten track should certainly overlook muddy floors if the realtor explains.

One of my neighbors has asked me to save all wine and alcohol bottles for the next month. She has a friend who's daughter is decorating for her wedding with booze bottles. Weird.