Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

how about drinking?

Options

Comments

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,815
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Monday Monkey day! Plans for today include going to Mom's to see if I can set up her Jitterbug phone. Wish me luck! I hope this phone will work for her,

Bright, sunny, and very frosty this ayem. Whatever happened to March coming in like a lion and going out like a lamb? Seems to have reversed.

Illi--here's a virtual Tequila sunrise to hold you over until the weekend:

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,855
    Options

What a pretty bouquet of flowers!

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,616
    Options

Beautiful boquet!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,102
    Options

Lovely Teka.

Goldie - hope your trip is fairly uneventful and you get everything re-located with no damage. I second your purchase of a second Rollator.

NM - interesting about your Mother's paperwork. I helped my Dad long distance for years until at 89 he finally decided to turn it all over to me. But I never could convince him to stop ordering special deal products from Reader's Digest & Publisher's Clearing House. When I developed cancer, my only son in another state convinced me to convert all my bills to "on line" (in case he had to take over in an emergency). The only checks I write now are for the lawn guy & my hair cuts. Oh - and at Spec's Liquor because there is a 5% discount for "cash". So glad to hear you are enjoying retirement.

Carole - thinking of you today and hope you are able to take a walk. It was 84 in Houston yesterday.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,513
    Options

Lori - hope everything with the movers went well.

I cooked yesterday to freeze for my DD#1 birthday dinner the day after Passover ends. It was a birthday cookie and potato knishes and it wiped me out. I just don't have the stamina that I used to. Many people would say you did so much, but I used to be able to do twice as much and not be as tired!! Today I did a little work in the house, maybe 45 minutes and go a manicure.

Tomorrow its back to the grind! 9 weeks till the end of the school year. I"m sure it will go fast, yet be a long 9 weeks. I'll be cover a middle/high school for the rest of the year. It is a small school, but I think pretty impacted.

The weather turned cold this afternoon but will be 70 by the end of the week.

Carole, glad to hear your surgery went well. I go back and forth if I want to have mine checked out - there are 16years this summer or just stay in denile!!

• carolehalston
    Options

Karen, based on my experience I don't think you should be afraid of having your implants checked. Today a week ago I was in the OR and last night I took no pain med since I wasn't feeling pain. I don't know about your implant placement or type of implant, but my plastic surgeon said my explant was definitely needed on the right side with the ruptured implant. There was a lot contracture on both sides after almost 15 years. Also I had the textured gummies that proved not to be safe and caused a type of cancer in a very small percentage of women. That's why the removed implants and body tissue were sent to a lab for testing.

I see him on Thursday and will question him about the new implants. They're slightly larger, needed according to him to fill the pockets. And they're more bouncy than I'm used to. I was small-breasted, Almost A bra, and am not used to bounce. I'm wearing a compression bra day and night.

Enough about my boobs. I'm hoping Goldie's move went well.

Like Minus, I do almost all my bill paying online and I keep track of our bank account with a phone app. Every time our charge card is used, I get a notification on the phone. I know when dh is checking out at the supermarket. LOL. There's never a late payment charge. A book of checks lasts a long time.

One possible drawback is that ordering stuff is too easy. If we had to shop in stores, we would spend less money.

• karen1956
    Options

Carole - I have Mentor moderate profile smooth implants - only 200cc. PS had to stitch the BC side to my ribs to keep the pocket from falling. They are under the muscle. Found that out from my oncologist who said my PS only does under the muscle. I'm not so much afraid as more don't want to deal with it!!! I also have beautiful tattoos on my foobs that I would like to keep in tack, so PS would need to go under the crease which is where the BC side is. I also don't want bigger implants. I initially had 300 cc and felt they were too perky!! Just feel like I have too many health issues to deal with (MM, osteoporosis, Stage 3 CKD, hypercalcemia. It took me several weeks to recover from the parathyroidectomy, but mostly regarding stamina. Maybe in the fall, when I can take time off work if anything needs to be done. I don't want to do it on my own time - don't want to give up my summer. Thanks for letting me vent.

Gorgeous day today - sunny and warm in the afternoon. Will be like this the rest of the week.

Started my new assignment today. No kids as it was professional development and work day. Nice to slowly get acclimated. Everybody was so welcoming. My only complaint is the hours - 8 - 4pm and its' at least half hour from my house. It took me over 35 minutes to get home and I left at 3:30 today. By the time I get home, it will be a quick walk then time to make dinner. So far this year, my longest commute was 15 minutes without much traffic and either 7-3 or 7:30 -3:30.

Have a great evening.

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Hunker Down for the Nor'Easter that's coming in tonight. Supposed to storm from this evening through tomorrow evening. Some schools already announcing closures or virtual days for tomorrow and Friday. Not really looking forward to this, but I am as ready as ever. At least this snow won't last too long on the ground, but it's going to be a mess for a while, particularly if the winds are high enough to give us blizzard conditions. I think we need to adjust our calendar to match up with Mother Nature. This kind of stuff is supposed to happen in the beginning of March, not in April!

Beautiful flowers, Teka!

Morning, Carole, Sunshine!

Minus--I'm slowly converting Mom's stuff to online so I can manage it without necessarily driving to her place and making bunches of phone calls. She still writes checks for her utilities, but generally uses her debit card for groceries and general shopping. Her biggest problem is distractibility; she opens a bill, looks at it, gets up to find her checkbook, sees something else she needs to do, and goes off and does that. I swear she has adult ADD!

Karen--Decreasing stamina is something I've noticed, too. This getting older thing is not for wimps, that's for sure! I hope the last 9 weeks of school do go quickly and easily for you.

Carole--I can see needing a slightly larger implant if there were contractures and tissue needing to be removed. I wonder if contractures limits the amount of bouncing? I do all my banking online as well. I do keep a couple of checks in my wallet for emergencies when someone doesn't take credit or debit cards or use a payment app, but only does checks and cash. I get the notices, too, and that helps me stay on top of everything. It does make ordering things too easy, that is a good point. Except for grocery shopping, when I order on line and pick up I spend a lot less then when I actually go into the store!

Blizzard

Ingredients

1 ½ oz Cody Road Rye Whiskey

½ oz ounce hazelnut liqueur, such as Frangelico

½ oz ounce Iowish Cream

Hot coffee

Dollop of Whipped Cream

Directions

1 In a glass coffee mug, stir together Cody Road Rye, hazelnut liqueur, and Iowish cream; top with coffee.

2 Garnish cocktail with whipped cream and serve immediately.

From <>

https://www.mrdistilling.com/recipe/blizzard/

• minustwo
    Options

NM - Something that might work for you Mother - all my utilities are charged automatically to a VISA card. I only have to pay one bill a month and can contest charges easily if I think there's a problem.

• karen1956
    Options

Kim - my stamina has significantly decreased since Dx with MM last year and treatment as well as the parathyroidectomy surgery in January. I just have to learn to accept it - I don't like the new normal but I guess it is what it is.

• carolehalston
    Options

Karen, I understand that your job takes place in schools but what do you do? If that question is too intrusive, just ignore it.

I saw my bc surgeon (not my plastic surgeon) yesterday. She assisted at the explant/revision. Her NP did US on my chest and I have fluid on the right side, the ruptured implant side. It could go away on its own or have to be removed if it causes me pain. I see the plastic surgeon today and will get his take on the situation.

It got cool last night so no a/c necessary. The trees are in full leaf now, that beautiful spring green. My amaryllis are blooming in the front flower beds. So are the knockout roses. It's a lovely time of year. I hope we get a period of spring and don't jump into summer.

Hope things are going smoothly for Goldie today and for everyone else.

• karen1956
    Options

Carole, I'm a School Psychologist. And no, your question is not intrusive. Hope everything works out with the new implant.

• minustwo
    Options

I too am thinking of Goldie. It's a massive undertaking to move even if you 20 & have no health issues. Goldie - so glad your brother is with you.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 849
    Options

Yes thinking of Goldie and hope things are going well.

Had a nice Malbec with ravioli and salad tonight.

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy TGIF Day! Yesterday turned into a totally lost day. Woke up to about 6 inches of snow and still coming down hard, no internet, wind picking up, gray and gloomy. By the end of the day had a good foot of snow and it was starting to shift over to sleet/rain. Very yucky. I didn't lose power, thank goodness, although I expected to. Neither did Mom. The power companies are predicting a multi-day clean up and recovery time for lots of people without power. The puppers and I spent the day cuddling and reading and watching TV and napping. I'm not sure but I think this is the most snow we've gotten in one storm all winter. And it's freaking APRIL!

Minus--Mom was having things charged to her credit card, but ran into problems because she wasn't paying the credit card bill. She thought it was being paid automatically--actually she was thinking it was debit card. She was running into problems with the card being cut off. That's when I realized she needed help with financial management, and started working with her to let me see her stuff. I'm going to work on getting her utilities and such switched to direct payment from her checking account. She keeps losing the debit card and needing to get a new one every few months, so I don't want to go that route, too many things to have to remember to change over every time that happens. Good point about reviewing and potentially contesting charges, though. I'll have to figure out some way to monitor for that.

Karen--accepting and adapting to changing strength and stamina is not easy, and I don't like having to do it, but there it is. I have always hated the concept of "new normal." I may have to adapt to changes and different baselines, but that does not mean I have to accept it as "normal". Besides being an oxymoron.

Carole--I'm jealous of your flowers and leaves!

Me, too, Minus.

Goldie--saying prayers for you

Reader--the ravioli sounds good! One of my Wednesday, Women and Wine friends is a Malbec enthusiast.

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy TGIF Day! Yesterday turned into a totally lost day. Woke up to about 6 inches of snow and still coming down hard, no internet, wind picking up, gray and gloomy. By the end of the day had a good foot of snow and it was starting to shift over to sleet/rain. Very yucky. I didn't lose power, thank goodness, although I expected to. Neither did Mom. The power companies are predicting a multi-day clean up and recovery time for lots of people without power. The puppers and I spent the day cuddling and reading and watching TV and napping. I'm not sure but I think this is the most snow we've gotten in one storm all winter. And it's freaking APRIL!

Minus--Mom was having things charged to her credit card, but ran into problems because she wasn't paying the credit card bill. She thought it was being paid automatically--actually she was thinking it was debit card. She was running into problems with the card being cut off. That's when I realized she needed help with financial management, and started working with her to let me see her stuff. I'm going to work on getting her utilities and such switched to direct payment from her checking account. She keeps losing the debit card and needing to get a new one every few months, so I don't want to go that route, too many things to have to remember to change over every time that happens. Good point about reviewing and potentially contesting charges, though. I'll have to figure out some way to monitor for that.

Karen--accepting and adapting to changing strength and stamina is not easy, and I don't like having to do it, but there it is. I have always hated the concept of "new normal." I may have to adapt to changes and different baselines, but that does not mean I have to accept it as "normal". Besides being an oxymoron.

Carole--I'm jealous of your flowers and leaves!

Me, too, Minus.

Goldie--saying prayers for you

Reader--the ravioli sounds good! One of my Wednesday, Women and Wine friends is a Malbec enthusiast.

APRIL SHOWERS

INGREDIENTS

•  3 ounces (88 ml) gin
    •  1 ounce fresh (30 ml) lemon juice
    •  1 1/2 tablespoons agave nectar
    •  6 ounces (180 ml) ruby red grapefruit juice
    •  Edible flowers for garnish, optional

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the gin, lemon juice, agave nectar and grapefruit juice, shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Pour into a coupe or martini glass.
    2. Garnish with edible flowers (optional)

From <>

https://culinaryginger.com/april-showers-cocktail/

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,065
    Options

So, remember my union-busting boss who lost against our NLRB complaint against him? We recently found out that he's sold ALL of the massage studios he owned. He's completely out of the industry now. This make him a three-times franchiser failure. He tanked a Quiznos, a Smashburger, and now Elements.

Dude needs to just get a real job. He sucks at this.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,294
    edited April 5
    Options

Schadenfreude is often its own reward, Miriandra. Congrats.

Prayers, (((Lori)))!

Wed. night with pan-seared cobia we had 2022 Bernard Gauthier rosé (mourvedre, grenache, cinsault) from the Languedoc. Last night with walleye, 2021 Kendall-Jackson reserve chardonnay. (Had about 1 oz of each).

• minustwo
    Options

NM - Good idea about automatically debiting utilities. You can register to receive her credit card bills on line with her name & access with "her" password. Be careful about adding your name as a joint signer to her credit card or other accounts. If she forgets to pay it will effect YOUR credit rating too.

Reader - Malbec is my DIL's favorite wine. I haven't opened a Malbec in awhile since I've been drinking cab or meritage - but I have a couple in the wine rack.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,294
    Options

Bob loves Malbec too. I think he'll crack a bottle for tonight's steak dinner. Mine will be a 2-oz. Coravin pour of 2018 Fess Parker Pinot Noir (Santa Rita Hills). May not finish it but will taste great.

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Saturday! I cannot believe I am waking up to MORE SNOW! I thought this was supposed to be over by now. Forecast is now for snow today and tomorrow, with temps into the 60s on Monday. Monday is going to be a big mess with all this melting snow if we get the eclipse traffic that's being predicted. At least the puppers don't seem to mind the snow very much, as long as they can come in and get their paws warmed up after a play session.

Miriandra--Karma is King! I'd say he is persistent, but he's moved into insanity territory, doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Chi--that rose sounds lovely!

Minus--Good point, thank you!

Morning, Teka!

TOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE COCKTAIL

INGREDIENTS

• 4 ounces Sparkling Clementine or Orange Pop
    • 1.5 ounces Dark Rum
    • Orange Slice for Garnish

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Pour Sparkling Clementine or Orange Pop over Ice in a cocktail glass
    2. Gently pour dark rum on top
    3. Garnish with an orange slice

From <> https://simplydarrling.com/total-solar-eclipse-cocktail-recipe/

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,263
    Options

Ravenswood Petite Syrah (or Sirah) tonight with my tuna melt.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,616
    Options

I'm going to pick up some Kim Crawford sauvignon blanc the next time we're at Costco. DH wants to have neighbors in occasionally for dinner (salmon, asparagus, roasted red potatoes) and the SB will go nicely with it. Costco also has (or used to have) a good pinot grigio, too. It's their Kirkland brand, but I thought it was pretty good. I'm more of a red gal (merlot) but I'm not picky and do NOT have a sophisticated palate.

Happy Sunday. It's cold here (for San Diego) and I'm bundled up in our cold little house.

Carol

• minustwo
    Options

Sunshine - When I drink white, I like the Kirkland Costco Brand Savignon Blanc. It's a New Zealand Marlborough Ti Point.

That said - I usually drink red. Now I'm hung up on the Hayes Valley Meritage - also from Costco. Last winter I drank mostly San Gregorio single vineyard wine from Spain. I like both the Las Martas Garnasha and the El Vergal Tempranillo.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    edited April 7
    Options

I’ll take a seltzer water with a lemon wedge! Trying to psych myself to finish two huge class projects for next week on two different subjects! I have to do PowerPoint presentations for both and I really dislike these as power point presentations are so complicated!

Any serious drinking will come later in the week after these projects are done!

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Monday Monkey Day! Well, the sun finally came out yesterday afternoon, which is so nice. I am so tired of gray and gloomy! I'm picking up Mom in a bit and we're driving an hour or so north to see the total eclipse this afternoon.

Yesterday I set up a new home internet service. The ads say it takes 15 minutes or less to set up, which it did, after I spent half an hour figuring out and downloading the correct app. It's T-Mobile home internet, which is going to be almost $30 a month less expensive, more reliable, and a lot faster than the satellite system I'm discontinuing. So far it's been a much better experience, I can actually stream entire programs without constant buffering pauses. I did not realize just how annoying that was, or how long I was waiting for pages to load on the desktop when checking email and net surfing. It's only been one day and already this is turning out to be a very good change!

Wally--love the tuna melt/Sirah pairing!

Sunshine--welcome to the Unsophisticated Palate club!

Minus--I guess I'll have to take advantage of one of those $25 costco memberships next time I see it, and try out the Kirkland wines.

Mommy--Welcome! I hear you about the class presentations. I'm lucky, I guess, in that I like working with PowerPoint. But I have noticed that PowerPoint presentations building goes easier with a glass of wine on the desk! Good luck with the projects.

SOLAR ECLIPSE COCKTAIL

Ingredients

• Water
    • Blueberries
    • Orange Juice
    • Vodka or Tequila

Instructions

1. Blend frozen blueberries with water
    2. Add food colouring for desired colour
    3. Pour into round ice cube mold and freeze
    4. Pour orange juice into rocks glass
    5. Add vodka
    6. Drop round ice cube

From <>

https://www.parentingtogo.ca/solar-eclipse-cocktail/

• carolehalston
    Options

NM, we have T-Mobile for internet and service for our cell phones. We pay $130 a month, much less than we were paying AT&T and getting poor internet. We also get some free streaming services with T-Mobile. So far we're happy with the change.

Thinking of Goldie and wishing the best possible circumstances for her.

How cool that you and your mom will be witnessing the eclipse together. It's cloudy here today but we don't have the glasses anyway. DH has already seen an eclipse and I've been rather self-absorbed with my surgery and recovery. Hope those who are tuned in to the natural happening have a great experience.

Raising a coffee cup to everyone to say Good Morning!

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 849
    Options

Just stopping in to say hi as I haven't done so in a while.

I love "the unsophisticated palate club" That's me. We have a sweet white ( raspberry I believe) that needs to be finished. Probably with tonight's stuffed peppers.

Continued healing to you Carole. And also big hugs to Goldie. NM, so big a difference reliable internet can make, particularly with movies.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,263
    Options

Had Murari (sparkling brut spumante, which was actually nice —-got it at the 20% grocery outlet wine sale a few weeks ago) to celebrate my 17 going on 18 year cancerversary last night.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    Options

I could use a drink, got one of the presentations done and saved to be handed in next week. halfway done with the slides for the other and then it’s add speaker notes to it.

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Twofer Tuesday! Waking up to another sunshiny day today. I am going in to the old office to do CPR recerts this afternoon, and I'm hoping to get caught up on all the gossip and goings on while I'm there. The trip north to see the eclipse with Mom was fun, mostly. It's a little nerve-wreaking the way she grabs at the dashboard or stomps her foot whenever she sees (or thinks she sees) something in the road or the brake lights come on in the car ahead of us or we go over a bump. And then she wants to know what's wrong with me when I brake to avoid hitting a flock of turkeys crossing the road that she didn't see because she was looking out the side window. I was surprised how long it took to get dark during the eclipse, I really thought it would get dark sooner and more gradually than it did. It was fascinating to watch, as well as to watch all the other people around who were watching.

Carole--so far I'm liking the T-mobile internet, too. Sorry to hear it was cloudy where you are, but not much of an issue for you it sounds like.

Reader--the more reliable internet is already a nice experience, it's going to be even better when I have internet during rainy, cloudy, and snowy weather! The raspberry wine sounds lovely.

Wally--CONGRATULATIONS on the 18 year cancerversary!

Eclipse Blackberry Bourbon Sour

Ingredients:

1.5 oz Critical Batch Texas Bourbon

3 oz Sour mix

5 blackberries

Cherry bitters

Directions:

1. Muddle 5 blackberries in a shaker and fill halfway with ice. 
    2. Add 1.5 ounces Critical Batch Texas Bourbon
    3. Add 3 ounces sour mix (equal parts lemon juice and simple syrup, with a smidgen of maple syrup)
    4. Shake and pour into a cocktail glass
    5. Top with three drops cherry bitters

From <>

https://www.barandrestaurant.com/food-beverage/path-totality-take-advantage-these-eclipse-cocktail-recipes