Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

how about drinking?

Options

Comments

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 570
    Options

chisandy - I enjoyed your pictures. There really wasn't a lot to see where I live.

Reader- I love the flowers

Lori - hope you will soon be able to visit with your nieces. I know how much you love them. Don't worry about your house, my niece is in real estate and she has gone into places that was really bad and they take care of them. Glad you have your brother with you for this hospital stay.

My sister is in the hospital right now. I am really not sure how bad she is; she is one of those people that doesn't tell anyone what's going on with her and she doesn't get things checked. It doesn't sound good right now. She had diverticulitis, pneumonia, sepsis, her sugar level is really high, and she had a mild heart attack. I am really hoping she takes better care of herself after this scare.

A few years ago, my friend had a wine tasting and there were several things that you had to rate the wine on and then they tallied up the total and everyone was in shock when Boones Farm won.

Hello to all and have a great weekend.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,811
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Saturday! Well, mud season has arrived. The puppers were out having their ayem game of tag and since it's warm enough to leave the kitchen door open they ran into the house and jumped up on the recliner and me and left muddy paw prints all over! While messy, it does mean I'll be able to sit out on the deck with ayem coffee soon. Just need the deck and rocker to dry out a bit and maybe get just a tad warmer.

Karen--SMH. But I'm needle-phobic and question every request for a blood draw, and have providers look up recent results to see if they can't use those before allowing myself to get stuck again. It amazes me how often they find the very same blood test done very recently, and can use those results. It irritates me that no one actually looks for that before asking for more blood tests. The Electronic Medical Record system was supposed to do that, but fails miserably.

Morning, Chi!

Mirandra--hugs.

Minus--decorating a wedding with booze bottles? Weird, all right. I'd love to see a pic of how that turns out.

Misty--prayers for your sister. And LOL at the wine tasting results! It really does come down to individual tastes and preferences!

Strawberry Wine Sipper with Minisicles

Ingredients

Wine Sipper:

• 2 1/2 ounces Strawberry Wine
    • 1 1/2 ounces Pinot Grigio
    • 1-ounce Simple Syrup
    • 1 fresh strawberry
    • 1 fresh Apricot
    • Ice Cubes
    • Rosemary Garnish

Ingredients for Minisicles:

• 1/4 Boone's Farm Strawberry Daiquiri Wine
    • 1/4 Simple Syrup
    • 1/3 cup Club Soda
    • 1 Tablespoon Honey
    • Directions:

Instructions

1. Strawberry Sipper
    2. In a cocktail shaker add strawberry wine, pinot grigio, simple syrup and ice cubes.
    3. Secure the lid on the cocktail shaker and give it a good shake for 30 seconds.
    4. Strain mixture into a glass filled with ice cubes.
    5. Minisicles
    6. In a two cup measuring cup add Boone's Strawberry Daiquiri wine, simple syrup. club soda, and honey.
    7. Stir for one minute.
    8. Then pour mixture into mini-Popsicle molds, secure lid, and sticks, then freeze overnight.

From <>

https://todayscreativelife.com/strawberry-wine-sipper-with-mini-sicles/#mv-creation-245-jtr

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,832
    Options

NM, car ins. for half the price is a bonus! I'm with you on cleaning up the mud, not a big deal, right? And you are 100%, as to dealing the hand I am dealt. But I gotta say, I'm about ready to "fold". That Sangria looks so refreshing and yummy!

Sunshine, I'm not liking it much myself! They had taken me off of the Piqray, but want me to go back on it now. Had to have my brother bring it from home and will start tomorrow. Is it still treating you well?

Karen, I'm hoping rehab will at least be more comfortable than the hospital!

Minus, would LOVE to see what the venue looks like with all the alcohol and wine bottles! I hope you can get pictures!

Wow Misty, your sister has a lot going on! Wishing her the best and I too hope she can take better care of herself. LMAO at the Boonesfarm wine. I think I can still taste it.....blech!

Not sure how much more they can do for me here at the hospital, other than "try" and keep me comfortable. I'm not sure what the plan is. Pehaps get me into rehab and go from there? I have to choose 3 locations, to make sure they have a bed for me.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,577
    Options

It’s a beautiful day on the mountain, I’m having a margarita, listening to UB40 and sitting outside (74 with a light, cool breeze) and nearly falling asleep! I live for days like this, literally.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,266
    Options

Lori, hope you find a great and comfy rehab center. That they want you back on Piqray tells me there's still gas in your tank.

Misty, prayers for your sister and for your strength and equanimity.

Had my visit to "Dracula" this a.m. and results are back already. Nothing I didn't already expect, except I'm more anemic than before. Time to add some more red meat back to my diet, maybe a stronger iron supplement. Everything else is as before…except my lipid profile is the best it's been in years—total cholesterol is 168, and I can't remember when it's ever been below 200 since my mid-30s. So if anything gets me it probably won't be my heart (my risk is half of the average for my age).

With late salmon dinner tonight, Joel Gott Sauv. Blanc 2022.

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Sunday Funday! Another bright, sunshiny ayem today, with a bit of a breeze that will help dry up the big puddles/small ponds left by the melting snow and start drying out the mud. Still to chilly to sit outside for very long, but I did get a few minutes out with the puppers yesterday off and on. As long as I could sit in the sun it was good.

Goldie--yup, having the time to sit down and research insurance policies really paid off. I found a rate even better than the one through AARP! I hope they are keeping you very comfortable there in the hospital, and that rehab is a real benefit for you. Choosing a rehab facility isn't easy. Hugs.

Illi--what I wouldn't give to be sitting there with you! The only thing that would make that the perfect place for me would be if it was oceanside rather than mountainside! What a beautiful view!

Chi--Congats on the good cholesterol labs! Do you take your iron supplement with a Vitamin C supplement? Iron supplements are notoriously poorly absorbed and Vitamin C has been shown to boost absorption, particularly helpful in iron-deficiency anemia.

Iron Butterfly Cocktail

Mixed Drink Recipe from Cocktail Builder

1 shot of Vodka

1 shot of Kahlua coffee liqueur (or coffee liqueur)

1 shot of Irish cream

Pour vodka over ice in an old-fashioned glass. Add kahlua and irish cream, and stir. Garnish with 1 - 3 optional filbert nuts.

From <>

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,255
    Options

Goldie, keeping you in my thoughts.

Sandy, congrats on good labs…I have given up getting good labs, LOL.

Illimae, that photo is gorgeous!! It is how I imagine Texas…love those trees. 70 degrees, not so much, but the countryside is to die for!

• goldie0827
    edited April 20
    Options

BabyGirl, doesn't sound like it could get any more perfect! Oh wait....how about a massage?

Sandy, I'll take that extra gas, thank you for the encouragement!

NM, glad the mud is drying up! I do have 3 rehabs picked out, now hoping they have a bed for me. They show room "lay outs", but not any actual pictures of the rooms. Did you get mom's phone figured out???

Got a call from my brother last night, in regards to my furniture. I had paid extra to have it expedited, which should have been 1 week, it's been almost 2, and not they tell me, THEY DON'T KNOW WHERE MY STUFF IS!!! Not a happy camper! But on a happier note, here are couple of pictures of my OH SO CUTE niece/nephew.

• chisandy
    edited April 14
    Options

Kim, my iron supplement is Vitron-C: has a form of heme-iron (supposedly non-constipating) plus Vitamin C for absorption. I used to alternate it with Feosol Complete with Bifera, which is another easliy-absorbed heme iron with minimal digestive impact, but my PCP said to stick with the Vitron-C. Will ask whether to take one of each daily. Another possiblilty is a low-level GI bleed, but I have no symptoms of that. I used to use topical diclofenac gel (an NSAID), lidocaine and menthol roll-on for backaches as needed; but my neuro told me to apply the diclofenac 2x/day prophylactically. Checked the label on the tube, and it warns that there is a possibility of systemic absorption and GI bleeding when overused. That began 3 months ago, so could account for the low H&H (11.0/36).So maybe I'll stop it and just go back to the lidocaine, Bio-Freez and arnica if & when my back acts up.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    Options

Going to be a two coffee day here. Had pretty busy weekend and it’s showing it already.

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Monday Monkey Day! What is it about sunny days that makes it so much easier to get things done around the house? I got lots done yesterday, way more than I get done on gray, gloomy, raining days. I've found counter space in the kitchen I haven't seen in ages and actually have room to cook comfortably again! And discovered that BOTH puppers are getting up on the counter and into the sink, I can tell by the size of the muddy paw prints! Ok, so I really knew they were both dong that, but I really thought it was mostly Zoe. Apparently Colt is more discreet.

Morning, Wally!

Goldie--I couldn't get Mom's Jitterbug phone up and running, It was Dick's, one of his kids gave it to Mom when he couldn't use it, but didn't give her the set up info. I told her to take it to a place that sells them and see if they can help her. How does a moving company lose an entire houseful of furniture? They better refund the extra spent to expedite the move, at the very least! The niece and nephew are so very cute!!!

Morning, Teka!

Chi--sounds like you've got some good products going on there!

Mommy--I'll join you in that second cup of coffee!

Easy Monday

Ingredients

Instructions

• Shake all the ingredients with ice in a boston shaker, single strain over crushed ice, strawberry to garnish.

From <> https://www.cocktail.uk.com/cocktails/easy-monday#coktail-card

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,839
    Options

The moving company should definitely refund the extra money. What a debacle! Losing a whole truckload of furniture! Your niece is beautiful and so are the two children.

I have visited a lot of Texas and I don't think of it as mountainous. That is a pretty scene, Illimae.

NM, you seem to be adjusting to retirement. When I was about to retire, I made a list of all the things I wanted to accomplish with my spare time. I came upon the list some years later and laughed because there weren't a lot of check marks indicating DONE.

I know that cats easily leap upon counters but I don't think of dogs doing the same!

• m0mmyof3
    Options

I agree with Native and Carole! The moving company needs to shoulder the blame and do the right thing!

• wallycat
    Options

Sandy, my DH's labs are all super low (white cells, red, hematocrit, hemo, blah, blah) and no one seems concerned…even did his massive jaw surgery, never mind I pointed out the lab concerns. We will ask his onco next week if iron supplements can be used while he has metastatic cancer, otherwise, as noted, no one has given a crap. Good luck with your labs and outcome.

Had a temparnillo (sp?), organic, Tussock Jumper. Quite delicious…a grocery outlet score!

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Twofer Tuesday! Waking up to yet another sunny day, hooray! Now if it would just get a little bit warmer, like into the 60's or even 55. The 40's are just a bit too chilly for doing much outside ye, although the puppers seem content enough to play outside most of the day.

Carole--the puppers don’t jump onto the counters like cats do, they get up on their hind paws and put their front paws on the counter so they can reach things. Mine are big enough to take thing right out of the sink!

Mommy--yes, the moving company needs to refund the money and find the furniture or purchase new for Goldie!

Wally--I hope the Onc can explain what is going on and why it was ok to do surgery with funky labs. You and he deserve to at least understand what is going on and make sure it's not a case of each doc thinking another doc is taking care of things.

The Calm Sunny Day

Ingredients:

• 2 oz. filtered, aged rum (El Dorado 3 yr. old)
    • 1/2 oz. ginger liqueur, or more to taste (Creme de Gigembre)
    • 1/2 oz. fresh lime juice
    • Dash of simple syrup (optional)
    • Dash of Bittermen’s Burlesque Bitters (optional, sub Angostura)
    • Lime wheel, for garnish

Assemble:

1. Combine all the liquid ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake until well-chilled and double strain into a chilled cocktail glass, flute or coupé. Garnish with the lime wheel. Serve.

From <>

• carolehalston
    Options

NM, glad you explained about the dogs' access to the counters! I was imagining them as being very athletic!

I enjoyed a top shelf margarita last night at a favorite Mexican restaurant. It was so good it didn't last through the meal. I then had a glass of chardonnay.

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Had been having two days in the 70s, temps back to seasonal norms. Gotta go outside a little later to move a few solar lights to get them to light up.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 846
    Options

Had a very nice dry Italian white with my tortellini tonight. It was nice.

• chisandy
    Options

My DOTD: FairLife Core Protein chocolate shake—tastes just like chocolate milk but without the guilt.

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Thirsty Thursday! I can't believe I had to turn the heat back on for a little bit yesterday ayem and this ayem. There was actual frost on the ground this ayem! At least the sun is out and that is nice. I was talking with Mom last night, she's in the process of changing cell phone services again. She's figured out where they sell Jitterbug phones and is going to go see if they can get the phone she was given working, she went to T-Mobile and got her current phone paid off so she can sell it after she gets switched over to the Jitterbug. All of this is going to take 2 or 3 trips to town over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully she'll tell me when she's going to do these things so I can go with her! She really doesn't understand much of what they tell her about tech stuff, and she only remembers a small portion of what she's told, so it gets very confusing when she starts asking me "what did he mean about…" questions.

It's finally starting to green up around here, it's beginning to look nice, but that does mean I need to find someone to do my yard work soon. . .

Mommy--I've been thinking about using some solar lights around my deck, but I'm afraid the puppers will knock them off with their rambunctiousness!

Reader--sounds yummy!

Chi--chocolate milk without the guilt, nice!

In honor of the cardinal at my birdfeeder yesterday:

Cardinal Cocktail

Ingredients

• 1 ounce crème de cassis liqueur
    • 5 ounces red wine

Pour the crème de cassis into a red wine glass filled with ice. Top with red wine.

From <>

• nativemainer
    Options

• m0mmyof3
    Options

I could go for a nice hot cup of tea. Pretty damp and chilly here.

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,057
    Options

Gray and drizzly here. I'll take rain over snow any day. It's a nice, soft rain too, so it should soak into the ground really well. We'll have to get the kids on lawn mowing rotation soon!

• chisandy
    Options

Gray & chilly here through afternoon, then rainy through about 10:30 pm.

With dinner at Chez Joel, Varichon et Clerc Blanc de Blancs Brut NV.

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy TGIF Day! I just got off the phone with Mom, she does want me to go with her while she looks at phone and cable/internet stuff, so we're going to spend next Monday doing those things. I told her to write down anything she thinks of she wants me to help with between now and then, all on ONE piece of paper, (her grocery list is usually spread out over 4 or 6 pieces of paper that she has a hard time keeping track of and is actually quite funny to look at). She originally wanted to go to one of the places today, another one tomorrow, get info and then go Monday to set up whatever she chooses. I convinced her to go ahead and get info by herself today and tomorrow if she wants to, and I'll go with her on Monday. I hate to say no to her on anything, but I can't get caught up in going to do something every day, so now's the time to start setting limits and boundaries. Mom seemed ok with the idea.

The puppers say HI to everyone.

Mommy--what kind of tea do you like? I like Lapsang Souchong, Earl Grey, lots of herbal/fruit flavored teas as well as plain old Lipton and Red Rose. Still chilly here, but at least I didn't have to turn on the heat this ayem! Progress!

Miriandra--nothing like a gentle, soaking rain. I love the way the air smells after a rain.

Chi--I hope the rain clears out for you. We're in a our 3rd of 4th day of no rain, at least some sun, and it's WONDERFUL!

Breakfast Martini

Ingredients

1x2x3x

• 1½ teaspoons orange marmalade
    • ½ ounce lemon juice fresh squeezed
    • 1½ ounces gin
    • ½ ounce Cointreau or triple sec
    • orange peel
    • cinnamon sugar toast wedge for garnish

Instructions

• Add orange marmalade and lemon juice to a cocktail shaker and stir with a bar spoon to loosen up the marmalade.
    • Add ice, gin, and cointreau and shake vigorously for 15 seconds.
    • Strain into a martini glass and squeeze an orange peel over the drink and drop it in.
    • Garnish with cinnamon sugar toast if desired and serve.

From <>

• carolehalston
    Options

NM, good idea to set some boundaries. Being retired doesn't mean you don't have priorities for your time.

Hi to the puppers and everyone else!

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,057
    Options

Go home, winter! You're drunk!

• wallycat
    Options

Send it here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we hit 69 and that is just WRONG for april, especially in the PNW!!!

I'm jealous!!

• goldie0827
    Options

NM, and let the phoe saga continue! My gosh, still running heat? LOL at "one peice of paper". I think it's good to let her get the info over the weekend.

OH MY Mirandra! I agree, def. DRUNK!

Ha ha, after I read Mirandra's post, I thoung to myself "Wallycat would like that", low and behold, look who posts next!

I have no idea what is going on weather wise here in MI. Been in the hospital since April 4th. Well, right now I'm upstairs in rehab. They had a bed for me here at the hosptial, which is great, as I can still see my doctors if need be, and my neice is here. Hoping to be released Tues. or Wed. Been getting both PT and OT. I can't believe how weak I am. I can no longer walk w/o assistance and can't make it very far. I will be staying with my brother for a few when I get out. I'm not sure I'm ready or even capable of staying alone right now.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,506
    Options

Lori - thanks for the update. Hapy for you that you have family near you to help and for your bother to have you stay with him. Yup, we had snow Friday night into Saturday. The trees looked really pretty. The snow was on the grass and trees but not on the streets. After cold, damp weather in the 30s yesterday it will be 63 today. The next two weeks it will be in the 60s and 70s. Wednesday will be 78!!! DD#2 girl friend from NY years ago said the weather in Denver is bi-polar! 😂

DD#1 and GD are on their way! My DH will pick them up at the airport while I work in the kitchen and start cooking for Passover. GD is now 11 months - the time is going by so quickly.

Lori - your grandniece, grandnephew are adorable. They are getting big. Is she 4? And how old is he?

Kim - good luck tomorrow taking your mother to get a new phone Hope it works well for her.