Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

how about drinking?

Options

Comments

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,830
    edited March 26
    Options

Welcome Creativezoo! No need to "break" in, we will joyfully welcome you and have one of the Tenders bring you your choice of libation. So, what shall it be? Pull up a barstool, and tell us a little about yourself. One of our other loungettes lives in OR. Looking at your profile, I see you're a youngin! "Most" of us (I think) are 60+. But you'd never know it!!! Illimae is close to your age, I call her "BabyGirl", because she is so young.

• goldie0827
    Options

Creativezoo, our DOTD isn't always seasonal, but it can be! Usually something that relates to the conversation, per se. Such as, and I will post it as another DOTD (drink of the day), since it is 2 for 2sday!

Baltimore Zoo Cocktail (aka Creative Zoo!)

Ingredients

• 1/2 oz Gin
    • 1/2 oz Vodka
    • 1/2 oz Rum
    • 1/2 oz Triple sec
    • 1/2 oz Peach liqueur
    • 1/2 oz Amaretto
    • 2 oz Sweet-and-sour mix(optional)
    • 1 Beer(Budweiser)

Steps

1. Add all ingredients into a highball glass, add ice and stir.
    2. Garnish with a lemon wheel.

The Baltimore Zoo is said to have been invented in the mid-1990s at Purdue University in Indiana. Nobody really understands why this cocktail is named after a popular Maryland attraction but people like it more than the Long Island Iced Tea and they both have a quite similar taste. You can adjust orange juice amount to adjust taste. This is a very strong drink but you don’t taste the alcohol as it will have a fruity taste.

chEErZ

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 570
    Options

Welcome creativezoo, so cool, goldie posted a cocktail for you.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,867
    Options

Goldie, if a rollator is the thing people push to help them walk, look for a used one or even free. Our senior center has a medical shed that you can take what you need and return when you don’t want it anymore. Good idea to go with your brother

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,252
    Options

Welcome, Creativezoo. I usually drink red wine and rarely "seasonal" stuff, so no worries. Drink if you feel like it and drink what you like.

I posted about my trip to Seattle on the dinner board. Grateful to be home.

Goldie, hope the weather holds out for you and your move.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,807
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Hump Day! When the day warms up a bit and the roads aren't icy anymore I'm going over to Mom's for a visit and to start helping her sort out some paperwork. Not sure what she is talking about, I'll figure it out when I see the mail she's referring to. Lots of melting going on during the daytime, but temps still dropping to freezing overnight so things ice up. I really do not like this time of year at all.

Goldie--Dizzy is a great name for Zoe, very descriptive given her tendency to spin around in circles when excited. Glad you had the option of having your moving expedited. Also glad the rollator is being helpful. Needing more help is never fun, but better than the alternative! I'd recommend taking the rollator with you, It will be helpful on the trip to Michigan, and helpful in the new house. Why pay rent for something when you don't have to? Irish whiskey is not the same as Baileys. Baileys is Irish Whiskey and cream. Irish whiskey is made in Ireland. Ginger beer tastes like very strong ginger ale. It's not alcoholic, but a frequently used mixer in cocktails.

Welcome, Creativezoo! I am so jealous of you who already has some flowers, while I'm coping with inches of melting snow! We don't think of new people as breaking in, we think of them as visitors and we love having visitors! As Goldie wrote, the DOTD isn't always seasonal, often relates to the conversation, sometimes is just something interesting or fun sounding. Multiple DOTDs are always welcome.

Morning, Misty and Wallycat!

This was my introduction to Ginger Beer, while on vacay in Bermuda many, many years ago:

• goldie0827
    Options

Wren, it is a walker with 4 wheels and a seat. I did look for used, most looked not very nice. I decided to try Amazon. Found one of those (new) and a shower seat. $115 for both, and that included shipping. Walker is being delivered to my brother's house today, and the shower seat on 4/4.

WallyCat, I saw your post. Glad you made the ferry. I had that happen to me a time or two (missing the ferry and have to wait an hour for the next) while visiting my DD in the VI.

NM, I too am jealous of those with flowers already. Funny that Dizzy fits Zoe! And thank you for the explanation on ginger beer and Irish whiskey. Come to think about it, I think my friend Jan, in Moab made me something like the DOTD you posted, and I remember liking it. I DID think ginger beer was a beer. Enjoy your visit with mom. I'm sure you will get her paperwork figured out. I hope she realizes what a special DD she has! As you can see, I ordered a rollator. I thought about just taking mine, but would have to deal with it alone on my return trip. Plus, there will be a few trips back and forth to MI. , that leaves me with one at both locations, I like that!

Heading to town today for a few last minute things and pick up mail. Precipitation has stopped and roads dry. Hoping to have a check in the mail for the amount of things my son owes me for. I turned the house over to him. He has been out of work since sometime in Dec. and will not get approved for a loan for some time now. This has been going on since the end of June, I'm DONE! Just giving him the house, took part of the money from his escrow for what he owed me, and took him out of the trust. Did I say "I'M DONE." Tired of messing around with him.
    Here is my $115.00 buy. I'm NOT old (65), I have cancer, LOL!

• goldie0827
    Options

WallyCat, forgot to mention the news on your DH. Sounds like things are moving in the right direction. I know how worried you were about him. I hope he's feeling it as well! Must be a great relief to you and most likely not so many trips, "shlepping" to Seattle!

Carol, thinking of you too. I hope you are not feeling too bad and are at home resting. Check in when you feel like it.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,600
    Options

Goldie, nice find!

I'm sorry for the mess with your son, but glad that it seems to be over. There are those times when you just want to walk away and say, "I'M DONE!" I get it.

Happy hump day, everyone.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,831
    Options

Thanks for thinking about me, Goldie, in the midst of all you have going on in your life. I am resting and taking pain med. Dh just came back from grocery shopping with a lovely bouquet of flowers and he's in the kitchen making beef veggie soup. It's wonderful to have someone to take over and I appreciate him.

I was wheeled into the OR at 7 am and was back in my pre op cubicle by 11 am. My surgeon told dh that everything had gone well. I'm not sure exactly what the implant placement was. I have an appointment with him tomorrow. I think he may have used the same pockets behind the pecs. My right side, the ruptured implant side, is definitely more sore than the left. Oh, and no drains. Next to being relieved that I was alive after surgery, I was so glad I wouldn't have to deal with drains.

Hope everyone is having a good Wednesday.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,082
    Options

Carole - thanks for updating us. Yes, Hooray - no drains. Hope the recovery is easy.

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,055
    Options

I currently have the house to myself! DH took the kids to Cleveland to see his father before he (FiL) went into surgery. Just over a year ago, he had aortic sleeve surgery to repair an aneurism. The aneurism returned around the sleeve, so they're going in to do it again. Because of multiple complicating factors, there was some concern that he wouldn't make it out; so DH and his siblings have all made a point to go out to visit them this month.

He went under yesterday, and the surgeon said it went very well. The family visited him post-op, but he was still really groggy from the anesthesia and pain meds. They're hoping he'll be more lucid today when they visit again. They come back home tomorrow.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,577
    Options

Goldie, did I read your previous post correctly, that you’ve never had tequila?, like never ever? I can’t imagine.

It’s supposed to be in the 70’s on the mountain for the next 4 days, that’s drinking on the deck weather and I am looking forward to it. DH has gone camping, so it’s extra peaceful here.

I bought some cocktail mixed (powdered) for my travel cocktail kit and will try them out before a big trip in June. The best will be enjoyed in flight.

Hi to everyone

• goldie0827
    Options

Sunshine YES. I had told him before I was done, and things looked like they might change, but didn't. I just have too much other chit on my plate, I can't do it anymore.

Carol, no drains is def. a plus.

Miriandra, enjoy your "home alone" time.

BabyGirl, you did read that right. I smelled it! It's my DD's choice. She does shots with something to follow it, pop or something else. But the faces she makes when she does it, I'm like how can you enjoy that? Maybe it's the buzz, IDK. How come you didn't go camping with DH?

Went in to town yesterday. Dropped a ton of stuff off at the veteran's thrift store, a little shopping, lunch at Grumpy Jakes, which was carry out bbq pulled pork sandwich. Took it over by a lake to eat. Missed my Fed Ex delivery of my new meds. Not happy about that. So need to track that down today and see if they will bring it. They usually only deliver out here on Tues. and Thur. Coming in on my dirt road, all the jostling, had to stop and open my door to get sick, but felt better afterwards. Came home and went to bed about 5 pee em! Slept til 5 ay em!

DOTD: Welcome Home

Ingredients:
    1 oz. gin
    ½ oz. lemon juice
    4 oz. champagne
    1 oz. simple syrup
    Ice
    1 brandied cherry

Instructions:
    Combine the gin, lemon juice, simple syrup and ice into a shaker and shake well for ten seconds
    Pour champagne into old fashioned glass
    Add mixture to champagne
    Add cherry
    Drink!

• illimae
    Options

Goldie, I make that face when I do shots too, lol but margaritas are delicious.

I didn’t go with DH because I can’t sleep on hard ground and I take any solitude I can get since he retired. Plus, with 2 little dogs, I’d be on guard instead of relaxing.

I’m currently in my bar listening to music, eating cheese and strawberries with s glass of wine, I’m not missing out.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,256
    Options

Lori, you've never even had a margarita? Ginger beer is a type of soda that is sweeter and much spicier than ginger ale.

Last night with bouillabaisse I had half a flute of Veuve de Vernay brut (from the Burgundy region, next door to Champagne). Found out to my dismay that it's "charmat" (tank-fermented bulk process) rather then methode Champenoise (first & second fermentations take place in the same, original bottle). Outside FR or the US, it's called some variation of "traditional method" in the language of the country where it's made. No wonder it tasted sweeter than the usual "Champagne-adjacent" sparklers—more like prosecco but with smaller bubbles. Made my first real cappuccino in over 2 months this afternoon after visiting the cat foster home. Nothing special—used the wrong beans anyway—too stale to boot. (Had two shots of Nespresso in the a.m.).

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy TGIF Day! Looks like I got caught up in the computer games and such yesterday and never checked in. Gonna have to watch out for that! The puppers and I are getting up to some serious rain today. Some places could get several inches. At least it's melting off the snow!

Goldie--Good idea having a rollator at both places and not having to wrestle one back and forth! I thought Ginger Beer was a beer, too, until a trip to Bermuda where I saw it being sold as a soft drink. I did get a good start on Mom's paperwork, got her signed up for automatic mail order delivery of her medications with autopay and saved her some money and cut out the nearly weekly trips to the pharmacy she's been making. Glad you found a way to work things out with your son so you don't have to be worrying about that anymore.

Morning, Sunshine!

Carole--glad to hear your DH is doing well! Also glad to hear the surgery went well, and bonus for no drains!

Morning, Minus!

Miriandra--prayers for your FIL for a quick and complete recovery.

Illi--ah, taste testing cocktail mixes on the deck, sounds so lovely!

Goldie--sounds like you had a productive trip to town! Sorry about the jostling on the way back, motion sickness is no fun. Love the welcome home!

Illi--I am so jealous! Strawberries, cheese, wine, music, I WANT SOME TOO!

Chi--I'm sorry the wine was disappointing.

Bright and Rainy 

• 1.5 oz gin
    • 0.5 oz peach schnapps
    • 0.25 oz lime juice
    • 3 oz ginger beer/ginger ale

1. Stir all ingredients over ice in a rocks glass. Enjoy!

From <>

https://honestcooking.com/bright-rainy-cocktail/

• carolehalston
    Options

I am happy to report that I'm doing well in my recovery from the explant/revision surgery. I learned yesterday at my appointment with Dr. Celantano that he was not able to do a pre-pec placement because my skin was too thin. He used the same sub-pec pockets but had to go with slightly bigger implants because removing all the contracture created larger pockets.

I'm ok for showers and driving and walking but I'm content to stay home and rest. I urged dh to play golf today. He has been a good caregiver and needs a break. Later I may venture outside for a short walk.

Hope everyone is doing well.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,600
    Options

Good morning, all. Carole, I'm glad your recovery is going well. The process does NOT sound fun. My mast was on one side and I didn't have reconstruction. I'm a small A cup, so I don't tilt when I walk.

Off to a grocery run with DH. Going to get some Kim Crawford. We may have friends over for dinner Saturday night. Salmon, asparagus and roasted red potatoes.

Neighborhood Easter party was cancelled due to rain. I'm super bummed, but it looks like we'll have our party in June. Our neighborhood is the best. Any excuse for a party!

Carol

• carolehalston
    Options

Thanks, MM and Jackie, for thinking about me. I am doing well after my explant/revision surgery. I saw my plastic surgeon yesterday and asked him about the explant. He said I had a lot of contracture/scar tissue and the ruptured implant was quite a mess. So there was a lot of clean up. My skin was too thin for placing the new implants over the muscle so he used the same pockets. The pathology report on the scar tissue and implants came back with no disease.

DH is taking good care of me and I feel good other than sleepiness and fatigue. Tramadol and Tylenol are sufficient for pain management. I'm free to shower and walk and drive but I will put off driving until appointments next weeks. All in all, I'm grateful for how things have gone.

Puffin will probably be posting soon. She arrived back home from her cruise.

Cindy, I hope you don't have a lot of clean up expense from the storm.

Sandy, I'm sure you will enjoy your new pets if you go through with adoption. I congratulate you on your weight loss.

Hi to everyone else.

• goldie0827
    Options

BabyGirl, can't blame ya for not wanting to sleep on the ground! When my DH decided to try camping (tent), we got 2 blow up twin mattresses. Of course your tent would need to be big enough for one or two. Oh yes, I forgot about margarita, I have had a couple of those. I had forgotten about your little puppies. You never mention them. Monkey and ? Please share some recent pics.

NM, like I said, you are GOOD daughter! Your mom is fortunate to have you, even if she doesn't realize it, and perhaps she does.

Carol, that's awesome how well you are doing! I hope you are happy with the bigger foobs. My right one also has a lot of scar tissue and contracture, you can barely move it at all. Who is Puffin and Cindy? (wrong thread?)

Sunshine, I got my Truqap. Started this morning, 2 pills BID for 4 days, then 3 off.

Happy Good Friday all.

• illimae
    Options

Monkey and Pig, sweet boys.

I haven’t tried the strawberry mule yet but so far my favorite cocktail mix is the blood orange mai tai, that’s definitely going in the travel kit.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,506
    Options

Illimae - cute pups

Sandy, keep us posted on the kittens

Lori, the movers are coming this week-end correct? Remind me when you leave for MI. Hope your new meds work for you and don't have miserable side effects. Hugs my dear friend.

I've been MIA this week while on spring break. Worked in the house and feel like I accomplished a lot. Met a girlfriend for tea and last night we went to a friends for dinner. I've been been tired and I've been sleeping in till 6:15!! Yesterday I felt I could fall asleep every time I sat down.

My son moved into his new condo he bought last week. DH helped him moved. So proud of him. Of course, he'll be driving his 25 year old car for a few more years.

Also been shopping for my gd ad DD#1 and GD are coming for Pesach - can't wait. The day after Pesach we will celebrate DD#1 38th birthday two days early and then she goes home on the 2nd of May. Sunday I will make her birthday cookie and potato knishes for her birthday dinner.

I have Monday off and hope to get a manicure before I head back to school.

Have a good Friday night and Saturday.

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Saturday! I am very happy to be waking up to sunshine this ayem, even if the temp is only 35 degrees with a windchill to 28. The gusty wind is supposed to blow through in a couple of hours. The puppers did not waste any time going out this ayem!

I got a call from Mom's doctor's office yesterday midday. Her appointment for yesterday was changed, and they couldn't get hold of Mom (surprise, surprise). I couldn't get hold of her either. So I drove over, found out my phone number, her best friend's phone number and her doctor's office phone numbers were blocked! I unblocked them, and tweaked a few other things and, hopefully, she'll get calls again. I know a lot of people simply do not try to get her on the phone anymore since it's so rare anyone can get through. And so the phone saga with Mom continues. . .

Carole--glad to hear you are recovering well. I hope DH had a good game of golf.

Sunshine--a neighborhood Easter party sounds like fun, so sorry the weather isn't cooperating. I got a chuckle at the not tilting when you walk comment!

Carole--hooray for the good path report. DH sounds like a keeper.

Goldie--I know Mom appreciates my help, she says so frequently. I do love her dearly, even if I do get annoyed sometimes. Good luck with the Truqap.

Illi--oh my goodness, how cute are Monkey and Pig! I bet they keep you entertained and have you well trained. I've not heard of a blood orange Mai Tai before, I'll have to look for that one and try it.

Karen--I bet it feels good to have accomplished a lot in the hosue during spring break. Congrats to DS. The visit from DD#1 and GD will be so nice for you and them.

AUGIE MARCH 

60ml/2oz El Tesoro reposado tequila (or other reposado)

- 22.5ml/0.75oz Antica Formula (or other sweet vermouth)

- 15ml/0.5oz Cynar

Stir everything on ice until sufficiently chilled, strain into your prechilled cocktail glass of choise, optional garnish with a brandied cherry.

From <> https://www.reddit.com/r/cocktails/comments/up1o1g/augie_march_a_beutiful_rich_3ingredient_cocktail/

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,930
    Options

Happy Easter to those who celebrate.

Went to see Herb Alpert last night. Just a wonderful night of music and storytelling. He turns 89 tomorrow. I want to be him when I grow up

• carolehalston
    Options

Yes, Cindy and Connie are from the Oldies thread. Apologies for the confusion.

Another pretty spring day here. Happy weekend to all. It's perfect weather for Easter celebrations and family get togethers.

I ordered some button up blouses and a sports bra from Amazon, clothes for this recovery phase.

NM, I wonder how your mom accidentally blocks phone numbers. On my I-Phone I have to go through a couple of steps.

• goldie0827
    Options

BabyGirl, the boys are adorable, but of course, I remember that from previous posts/pics of them. Are they calm puppers, hyper, yappers? I assume they get along? My neice has 2 Frenchies, and OMG, they are so hyper and bark A LOT!

Karen, movers come tomorrow morning (Easter Sunday), supposedly between 8-10 in the morning. We drive to Phoenix sometime on Monday, and fly out on Tuesday. Good on your DS for getting his own place. Excited for you with the visit with DD1 and her family. Glad you get to see that sweet baby again!

NM, glad to hear that mom expresses her appreciation of you. Hopefully mud season won't last long and wind will help to dry it up. I suppose there will ALWAYS be phone issues!

Sunshine, does the Truqap make you sleepy?

Jazzy, waving hi!

Carol, no apologies allowed. Simple mistake, that I'm sure all of us have made, probably even more than once. AND, I assumed they were from another thread, as others most likely did too.

Last night my stomach was bothering me, and I thought to myself, that it also felt a bit like heartburn. So I took some tums. THEY HELPED!

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,256
    Options

Lori, so glad the TUMS are helping and that you are about to move to the "MItten" (as my friends in the U.P. call it). Karen, wonderful for your DS continuing to "launch" and that your DD1 and fam are going to visit for the holidays. Jazzy, Alpert is an inspiration to us all—especially his retaining not just talent but a superb set of lungs! Carole, great news on the path. If you're looking for recovery bras, Leading Lady has front-hook wire-free leisure bras that aren't expensive. (7-8 hooks can be a challenge for arthritic fingers, though). Kim, keeping one's elders tech-ready is a bit of a challenge.

Last night's DOTD at Shaw's Crab House was Lucien Albrecht brut rose cremant d'Alsace.

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Easter and Happy Sunday Funday! I'm waking up to another bright, sunny day, temp right at freezing and feels like 28 degrees. At least there is no wind this ayem.

Jazzy--I didn't realize Her Alpert was still alive! He looks pretty good for 89! I bet that was a great show.

Carole--Mom plays with her phone all the time. Her eyesight is poor so she can't really read the screen unless the font is pretty big, so sometimes (frequently) she's tapping on things because it says to or to try to get the phone to do something different. She's always turning notifications off to stop the "commercials" that come up on her phone, and then getting upset because her phone doesn't ring when someone calls. She has a Jitterbug phone, now if we can just find out how to get it set up and running. . .

Goldie--There are always going to be phone and laptop/internet computer/TV issues with Mom. She and technology simply do not get along. At all. Glad the Tums helped the stomach situation!

Chi--last night's meal and wine sound very yummy!

Ray of Sunshine

Fill a shaker with ice and add 2 oz. vodka, ½ oz. triple sec, ½ oz. lime juice, ¼ oz. cranberry juice, and ½ oz. blood orange syrup. Shake the ingredients to infuse all the flavors. Strain into a coupe glass, straight up, and garnish with a dehydrated orange wheel.

From <>

• illimae
    Options

Goldie, they’re pretty mellow for chihuahuas but get yappy in the city, too much noise for mountain dogs.

DH and I had a Frenchie and English bulldog and their 4 pups, so much personality, they were pretty calm too.

I tested the cocktail mixes, looks like the blood orange mai tai and the strawberry mule are making it in the travel kit. Been craving a tequila sunrise lately too, maybe next weekend.