Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How Many Stage 4 Girls are getting SS disability..

Options

Comments

• LuAnnH
    LuAnnH Member Posts: 348
    edited December 2007
    Options

Yes you get LTD & SSDI.  LTD is usually more money than SSDI, so when your SSDI kicks in your LTD provider will decrease that check by the amount from SSDI.  The private LTD providers do not want to let you earn more than the alloted percentage of your pay.  Does that make sense?

• DebbieW
    DebbieW Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2007
    Options

Joy Rebecca,

There was nothing on the application that I filled out to AARP Health Care Options that asked me if I had cancer. there is a note on the application for pre-existing conditions, but it does not apply if you get the supplemental plan within the 6 months of your medicare eligibility date. I opted for plan I and so far, it has been great. Between medicare parts A, B and D and the AARP I am still paying about $400 per month for everything.

• snowyday
    snowyday Member Posts: 121
    edited December 2007
    Options

Hello everyone:  You women are lucky in the States in Canada I receive a Canada Pension Disability but it's 729.00 and then I'm also on Ontario Disability Support Plan and that tops it up to 979.oo in total but you are not allowed to work or they take it off in Canada. I wish I could work but I will have to wait until the rads and fatique are gone.  Its boring not working I miss it.

• JoyRebecca
    JoyRebecca Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2007
    Options

bump

• Fllorik
    Fllorik Member Posts: 381
    edited December 2007
    Options

I am sorry your situation in Canada is like that. Please know that your fatigue will subside and you will be strong again!!

• JoyRebecca
    edited December 2007
    Options

Pearl49....many many thanks and I'll look into it!!XXXXXXXXJoy

• JoyRebecca
    edited December 2007
    Options
    oops...I meant the above post for Debbie....chemo brainFrown
  • Brenda_R
    Brenda_R Member Posts: 52
    edited December 2007
    Options

bumping this thread, since it's important

• miss-di
    miss-di Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2007
    Options

Diagnosed 7/07, start SSD 1/08.

Able to still work PART time and recieve SSD.

Best to all,

Di

• Roja1955
    Roja1955 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2007
    Options

I applied and was approved easily based on my diagnosis.  I do have to wait six months until I start receiving (February).  You could work per diem/prn with a temporary agency and not go pass the allowable amount. 

Jean Oneal:  I know there are certain rules and criteria depending on your situation - if your situation has changed you may be able to reapply. 

• LeftyluluM
    LeftyluluM Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2007
    Options
    I have a question about SSD.  I was approved to get my SSD this last May, and was wondering has anyone ever had their benefit taken away from them at their re-evaluation?  I have bone mets in various areas, going to have a pet scan this next week to see if any of the spots are what she called "dead", as I've had no progression Smile.  I was told from the get go that with my stage IV that they would not go away and that we are treating for quality of life.
  • LuAnnH
    edited December 2007
    Options

You will probably get a medical review in 3 to 5 years.  Your onc will just need to fill out the medical paperwork so you continue to get your benefits.  Once you are stage 4 they say you will always be stage 4.  The end result of the disease is death which in turn qualifies you for benefits.  I wouldn't worry to much about your SSD, I have never heard them take those benefits away from anyone.  It is the private LTD companies that try to take away your benefits because they don't like paying out for so long.

• susan320
    susan320 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2007
    Options

After three attempts, I was approved in September 2007. The breast cancer mets automatically qualified me, despite the fact that I have dilated cardiomyopathy from bc treatments (adriamycin) in 2003-2004. susan320

• LoriFL
    LoriFL Member Posts: 587
    edited January 2008
    Options

can you ever run out of SSDI money?

• Buzz
    Buzz Member Posts: 21
    edited January 2008
    Options

When you draw SSDI, you are not getting back money you put in. You are getting an entitlement, which lasts as long as your remain entitled.

• vhqh
    vhqh Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2008
    Options

Does SSDI take into consideration any pension income you receive?

I can't afford to go on disability at 60% of my income, I think I'd go stir crazy anyway, but if I can last 7 years I can retire and start drawing my pension. 

• LuAnnH
    edited January 2008
    Options

My private LTD carrier is deducting the amount SSDI is paying me from the 60% of my salary that I am entitled to.  Actually though I am earning more money now on disability than when I did working full time.  My husband is deceased and I am getting survivor benefits for my kids on his policy.  Now that I am not employed it made me eligible for widows benefits also.  Then I get my SSDI and LTD money.  My taxes are lower and I get more pay, I am a happy camper!

• Ter
    Ter Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2008
    Options

I am, and recently they the ss sent me a LONG form to see if i was still disabled as when I started it wasnt for BC, it was for my fibro etc...I filled the paper work out, as they had an appt scheduled for me already, and wrote back and said DONT come, as your response was good enough to keep you on ssdi...as I had added that in 04 I came down with cancer..and wrote exactly all treatments surgeries, etc down in laymens terms and added all my cancer stuff to it on the back page as there was no room for it on all the other pages, as they were for why in the first place I was on ssd

wishing you all luck in the world on gettiing what all of us have paid into, as my last job/career was 15 years...

lots of thoughts to you

hugs

Ter

• Buzz
    edited January 2008
    Options

yhgh,

SSDI is not income or needs based. It is an entitlement program. If you worked and paid in for the appropriate amount of time, and are otherwise eligible medically, you are entitled to SSDI, regardless of your pension income.

You can also go back to work after the SSDI starts, and receive up to about $900/mo.

• LuAnnH
    edited January 2008
    Options

Buzz, SSDI allows you to work, but if you are receiving money from a private long term disability carrier, they don't usually allow you to make even .01.  I found that out when I went on disability this year.  I was going to try to continue to work a few hours a week and found out I would lose part of my benefits so I decided against that.

• Bonnielv
    Bonnielv Member Posts: 13
    edited January 2008
    Options

I have some questions about the application process.  I called SS and 1 question that stumped me was when I first became disabled.  I haven't worked since 10/06, however I did not see my dr until 9/07 for an unrelated problem when the xray picked up a tumor on my lung, this was followed by CT scan, PET scan then brain MRI.  Anyways would my disability date be the first xray or when the dr told me the results?  Thanks for the help.

• Buzz
    edited January 2008
    Options

Hi Lu,

Yes, if one is drawing on an private short or long term disability policy, that would most likely preclude working. I was addressing SSDI specifically, which does allow working.

• Buzz
    edited January 2008
    Options

Bonniely,

My date was the day after I stopped working. However, I stopped working due to the bc treatment. In your case, since you stopped working prior to being diagnosed with bc, then your date would be different. I don't know how they would figure it in your case, but probably on the diagnosis date, if you were not working at the time of diagnosis.

• Ter
    Ter Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2008
    Options

one thing i want to add is to read the "fine" print...as so many insurance co's add things that are so confusing that can eliminate you.  I was elimnated from my ltdi from work due to their ins co due to the fine print e, ven doctors did not see....and that was 1,500.00 more than my $900 some dollars i only receieve...

READ THE FINE PRINT as they not only make it fine, but italize "sp" wrong and word it so differently..and finally after a year i found it, and called my docs who wrote "the worst" as i am the worst, but they the ins co worded it so wierd that of course anyone would of put the worst when it is...but it was like a trick question...beware..not of just ss, but your LTDI insurance.   and ive appealed 2 times and they want you to get tired and give up so they dont have to pay....like my fibromyalgia, they said it was mental, it is NOT...but my energy fighting this BC has tired me so.  just dont give up.

Ter

• LoriFL
    LoriFL Member Posts: 587
    edited January 2008
    Options

Ter---- It's great to see you on the boards!!! Been praying for you often!

• Analemma
    Analemma Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2008
    Options

This is an important thread.  I hadn't even thought about SSI disability, and I used to work in HR!  I guess it just hasn't been on my mind since getting the mets dx a  few weeks ago.

I just started the application online, and when I got to the part where it asks if the disability is expected to end in death, I marked yes, and it told me to call SS to expedite the claim.  Of course, I couldn't get through to a person, just a message to call back later.  I will definitely call back, though.  I quit work to start a business in March 2005, had first dx April 05.  I still haven't had a net profit, so no income for the past two years.  I hope my benefit won't go down too much because of this!

• feeval
    feeval Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2008
    Options

Hi I Have a question about SS Disability.

Do you have to Provide your own health insurance or does SSD cover some of your medical bills for you.

THANKS any comment would help.

FEEVAL

• feeval
    edited January 2008
    Options

Do you have to Provide your own health insurance or does SSD cover some of your medical bills for you.

FEEVAL

• feeval
    edited January 2008
    Options

FEEVAL

• KariLynn
    KariLynn Member Posts: 41
    edited January 2008
    Options

Feeval,

You need to have insurance.  Medicare will pick you up when you've been on SSD for two years, but you're on your own before that.