Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How Many Stage 4 Girls are getting SS disability..

Options

Comments

• LuAnnH
    LuAnnH Member Posts: 348
    edited August 2007
    Options

bumping up again

• Brenda_R
    Brenda_R Member Posts: 52
    edited September 2007
    Options

Keeping this up front

• stage4
    stage4 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2007
    Options

I started getting mine a year ago, didnt know I could get it until I read about it on this sight my son gets 600 a month till he's 18 which is coming up. Also I had to wait 6 months to get it but things have pbly changed in over a year.

• bobdolly
    bobdolly Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2007
    Options

Yes I signed up and was qualified the first time for SS benefits

• JulieAD
    JulieAD Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2007
    Options

I have applied, it took forever to fill out online app for me with my foggy brain, now received 2 new packets on daily activity and work history. The work history part of the original app took me the longest to compile! Will call, hopefully this was sent in error, hoping I don't have to fill it out again. Also, they sent a form to my daughter, the person I mentioned was familiar with my situation, but they just sent her a copy of the letter they sent me, with no form to fill out. I thought I was unable to do a job, scarey.

Julie

• JulieAD
    JulieAD Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2007
    Options

yes Coleen, I just received that too. All this paperwork is frustrating, but will fill it out too, because I am sure without it, it will go no where.

• LuAnnH
    edited September 2007
    Options

If you are stage IV call SS, they will expedite your application.  Someone actually calls you within two days of your phone call to set up a phone interview to take all the information.  You don't have to fill out the whole packet on your own.  In fact I don't remember answering questions on daily activity.  Bottom line this disease ends in death, be it 2 days or 20 years and right now it automatically qualifies you for benefits if you worked the required number of quarters.

• CJAY
    CJAY Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2007
    Options

yes yes!  my experience was similiar.  i did however call ss when i got the packet of daily activity info.  i said it was my understanding that metastatic bc was an automatic approval.  the ss worker apologized to me and said i shouldnt have received the packet to fill out.  said once they got my records from the doc, things would process quickly.  and they did.  i was afraid i had messed things up because when i filled out my original paperwork, i listed chemotherapy induced fatigue, and neuropathy and such as my disabling conditions.  didnt lead off with the bc.  seems if i had done that things would have moved even quicker.  i am one month away from the end of my 6 month wait.  whoo hoo!!

• ruths2
    ruths2 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2007
    Options

I did the on;;ine application for SS disability today.  When I was filling out the questionaire and checked "yes" when they asked  if my disease will end in death, a box popped up with a phone number to call to expidite the process.  I called and they were very nice. Someone is supposed to call me from the local SS office in a few days to ask me more questions and set up a time for me to bring in my birth certificate etc.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Ruth

• LuAnnH
    edited September 2007
    Options

Ruth,  they told me that also.  Turned out the next day a guy called and took my entire application.  I had to mail in my marriage certificate and birth certificate to them.  I was a little leary of doing that, but I did it.  I had them back in the mail within the same week.  Was great because I didn't have to go downtown and mess with all that traffic.

• jacqniel
    jacqniel Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2007
    Options

Bump

• Dianne
    Dianne Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2007
    Options

I filled out my paper work on the phone today.  I drive a school bus and work in the office.  At the present, I am not able to drive the bus because I am still going through radiation treatments. 

This is my second round with BC after 11 years being cancer free.  It is now in my chest wall, liver and lower leg.  My boss works with me and does not count my time that I am off of work, but I do have to take sick leave for the bus route.  Will this working part time go against me?  I am a single mother of an adult child with Spina Bifida and a mental disability ( she is on SSI).  I cannot afford to be without a check!!  I will have to come to work until I am not able to drag myself here!!

Has anyone else experienced this?  I mean as far as being accepted while you still work some?

Diannne

South Alabama

• LuAnnH
    edited September 2007
    Options

If you are only getting SSD and not a private LTD, then you can earn up to $900 per month without it affecting your benefits.  Your child might be entilted to benefits under your account also.  It may be more than SSI so you will have to check into that.  SSD will not consider you disabled until you have reduced your work hours to a certain limit.

Did they tell you on the phone what your benefits amount will be?  I was told the approx amount I would receive and he also told me of all the other benefits I might be eligle for.

• Dianne
    edited September 2007
    Options

No they did not give me the amount that I would be getting and did not tell me what other benefits I might be eligible for.  My work hours are about 25-30 hours per week.  Do you think that is enough?

Dianne

South Alabama

• LuAnnH
    edited September 2007
    Options

If you are earning more than $900 per month then you might get reduced benefits.  You should have a case number, I would call them and ask those questions.  If you don't have a case number because I am sure they can look you up with your ss number.

• Dianne
    edited September 2007
    Options

Okay, enlighten me, maybe I am confused.  What does LTD and SSD stand for?

Dnall

South Alabama

• LindaNC
    LindaNC Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2007
    Options

Here's my understanding of related acronyms -- although I just completed my applications so I'm no expert Laughing 

SSD = Social Security Disability.  Provides disability benefits based on work history.  Also referred to as SSDI (SSD Insurance).  A detailed application process done in person, online, or over the phone.  Should be close to the amount in your annual Social Security Statement.

SSI = Supplemental Security Income.  Provides additional income beyond SSD.  Household income must be below a certain amount to qualify.

LTD = Long Term Disability.  Income provided through a private insurance company.  For example, for someone with an LTD benefit of 50% of their salary, upon disability, SSD pays the first amount, LTD makes up the difference to the 50% figure.

SSA = Social Security Administration

• Brenda_R
    edited October 2007
    Options

bumping this up again

• Dianne
    edited October 2007
    Options

Thanks to all of you for this discussion.  I did not even realize that I could get disability until I saw this discussion. 

• susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394
    edited October 2007
    Options

bumping

• CTG
    CTG Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2007
    Options

bump

• Dianne
    edited November 2007
    Options

Just wanted to bump this up.  I received my SS disability approval yesterday.  I just took the medical papers and birth certificate to them last Friday!!!  If it had not been for this thread I never would have thought about applying.  I guess I have my head in the sand.  The only way I know that I am sick is side effects of treatments.  

• Fllorik
    Fllorik Member Posts: 381
    edited November 2007
    Options

glad this thread could be of help. Having the checks arrive each month has been a blessing for me. Just wish I didn't need to get them!

• JoyRebecca
    JoyRebecca Member Posts: 16
    edited November 2007
    Options

Yep, I'm getting my first SSDI check next month. When I called SS and inquired about medicare, they told me it starts when the SSDI starts. But from what I'm reading, I have to wait 2 yrs?? I went through FEMLA at work and am now switched to General Medical Leave. I don't know how long that lasts before I have to go on COBRA. But from what I hear, COBRA's expensive!! And even after Medicare kicks in, it's not going to cover all expenses,right?? But it's too late to get any kind of supplemental due to pre-existing condition...Sheesh!!

• DebbieW
    DebbieW Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2007
    Options

I was diagnosed in Jan 2005 with BC with Bone Mets, and applied right away. There was a 6 month waiting period before I could receive my first check. My previous employer kept me on the health insurance for one year and I just paid them directly.Then I had to go on COBRA which was costly, but I had to have the insurance. COBRA is only good for 18 months, but by the time it expired I was eligible to receive Medicare. Everyone on disability is eligible after receiving their disability checks for 2 years. If you want a suplemental plan to cover what Medicare does not, there are no pre-existing conditions if you get the plan with in several months of eligibility. AARP had several to pick from, but I am sure there are other plans out there for those of you younger than 50. The cost for all this is almost as much as I was paying through COBRA!!

• Brenda_R
    edited November 2007
    Options

bumping this

• maddie103
    maddie103 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2007
    Options

Jean, you may have already had a respose to your question since it was intially posted back in October but the answer is "no" if you are retirement age (you indicate you are 65), you can not qualify for SSD.  Reason I know is my MIL was 69 years old but for financial reasons was still working full-time and collecting social security benefits (you can work and collect once you reach retirment age).  The cancer knocked her on her you-know-what and she had to quit working.  We thought maybe she would be eligible because she had worked full-time but once you're retirement age, it's strictly social security and medicare.  It stinks because she she only has her monthly ss check to live on and my hubby and his sister help as much as they can but she was told SSD was an automatic "no" in her situation.

• JoyRebecca
    JoyRebecca Member Posts: 16
    edited November 2007
    Options

DebbieW, I don't quite follow the last part of your post. All of the supplementals that I've looked at (including those supported by AARP) all have a box to check for "have you ever had cancer?".

• PJB
    PJB Member Posts: 150
    edited November 2007
    Options

bump

• kris2386
    kris2386 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2007
    Options

LuAnnH-from your above comment 9/26.  Can you be getting LTD and still get the SSDI.  My mom applied a couple days ago, I told them she was getting STD now and she said it didn't matter as long as the hours she worked didn't earn her more than 900/month.  Thanks